Rebuild's dub

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:05 am

Spike Shinji would be the best thing to happen to NGE since Anno decided to stop taking his Prozac.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:26 am

*Shinji fires positron rifle at Ramiel.*
Shinji: Bang.

That'd make my day.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

V
Banned

Re: Possible English cast

Postby V » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:44 pm

majlund wrote:
V wrote:RIAO?

Rei In Appearance Only

Oh I thought it was "Rei In Name Only"
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Kaasen
Embryo

Postby Kaasen » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:12 pm

My preference would be a brand new cast. It would give a new vibe to the series, and hopefully, Evangelion has proven itself to be a big enough money-maker that the best of the best will be signed on this time around. Yes, there are lines that I just could not imagine being delivered by certain talented people who were on the original cast, but new voices would be best. I imagine that by asking the old cast to come back, problems would arise like a lack of interest for some, conflictive schedules for others, and the voices could sound too old for the original parts. A mixed cast would sound odd to old fans, who are undoubtedly the most excited about this. Therefore, a new cast would be a good choice, with maybe a few oldbies allowed to come back to voice minor roles.

If I had it my way, there would be no dub, and it would be subtitles all the way. It would be cheaper and faster for everyone. However, I understand the need to be able to market the movies to a large audience, so I will not be selfish as far as that is concerned. I would love to see a renewed interest in Evangelion in the near future.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby master_lloyd » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:37 am

Kaasen wrote:If I had it my way, there would be no dub, and it would be subtitles all the way. It would be cheaper and faster for everyone. However, I understand the need to be able to market the movies to a large audience, so I will not be selfish as far as that is concerned. I would love to see a renewed interest in Evangelion in the near future.

I've always preferred dubs to subs. I just feel it's easier to empathize with the characters when they're speaking your language, also I find subs slightly cold. However I agree with on a new cast, re-using the old cast would just be for nostalgia's sake.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

StevieC
Embryo

Well...

Postby StevieC » Mon May 05, 2008 9:05 am

Make sure Asuka's dub voice can speak fluent German.
I'd want to see Tristan reprise his role as Gendo but KEEP AMANDA WINN LEE AWAY.
Stevie-C,
Resident Character
Grand Rapids Community College
Michigan

"This is. Ma-Ma-Max Headroom."

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:23 pm

Please God, let it be an all-new cast. I HAETED the original Dub, althoigh I'll admit, they really tried. Problem is, every single voice just turned into stereotype. I hated that.

I haven't been keeping up with the threaed, but I'm going to assume this hasn't been suggested yet. Why can't they just use actors that are the actual age of the characters (at least in the case of the kids)?

Think about it - almost every dubber I've ever heard has made younger characters sound either too young, or too old. I've never beleived that any adults voice in the west could go as high as that of a Japanese VA. That is, until I saw a clip of the School Rumble dub - 'shudder'.

Seriously, just get teenagers to ACTUALLY VOICE THE TEENAGERS! IS IT THAT MUCH TO ASK???
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:38 pm

I want most of the old cast in a RoE dub.
It would not be right hearing a bunch of new people.

If the Japanese cast was re made it would piss off a bunch a people.

If any body has to be replaced at least replace them with someone who sounds similar.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Electric Sachiel » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:12 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:I want most of the old cast in a RoE dub.

If any body has to be replaced at least replace them with someone who sounds similar.

Problem is when they did the English dub, the cast sucked right from the start. Meanwhile the Japanese dub had "professional experience" and with "good" voice direction from people that had worked on many other anime productions in the past.

Even if given a chance....I think bringing back the old english dub cast is a mistake. Start fresh and try and wash out the bad old memories from the past......

Darn after taste......

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:21 pm

Electric Sachiel wrote:
Joseph the PRPD wrote:I want most of the old cast in a RoE dub.

Problem is when they did the English dub, the cast sucked right from the start. Meanwhile the Japanese dub had "professional experience" and with "good" voice direction from people that had worked on many other anime productions in the past.

Even if given a chance....I think bringing back the old english dub cast is a mistake. Start fresh and try and wash out the bad old memories from the past......

Darn after taste......

We all have our opinions. I but I think it'll be a bad choice to change the cast.

There are a lot of people who did like the english dub (including myself).

This is starting to feel like dubs vs subs.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:24 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:If the Japanese cast was re made it would piss off a bunch a people.

Yeah, but they actually (A) maintained a set cast throughout the original production (initial run of 26 episodes), and (B) successfully brought the cast back for subsequent productions (movies, video edition episodes, games, and finally the new movies). The dubs haven't managed as much, with only a handful of actors present for all three main dub 'sessions' so far. The Japanese cast has a precedent for consistency that the English cast doesn't.

This is starting to feel like dubs vs subs.

How else do you think this bloomin' thread got so long? The geeks can't help themselves! It's in their BLOOD!!!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby universalperson » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:32 pm

I think Tiffany Grant should not play Asuka, just to see her reaction.

Really, if her Japanese voice actor didn't understand Asuka, what makes her DUBBED one think she does?
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:32 pm

universalperson wrote:I think Tiffany Grant should not play Asuka, just to see her reaction.

I cannot even begin to imagine her reaction.
She would most probably go crazy, possibly violently murdering anyone they choose to replace her with.

She is OBSESSED with Asuka.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:40 am

universalperson wrote:I think Tiffany Grant should not play Asuka, just to see her reaction.

Yes. YES.

It's time Ms. Grant learned to shaaaaaaaare.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:50 am

Tiffany Grant did do a good job as Asuka so it would be good to see her in Rebuild 2.0

Now when you say obsessed you mean...

Fazmotron

Postby Fazmotron » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:17 am

If you want to see how obsessed she is, go and buy platinum and see the special features of her and her "collection".

Its impressively scary.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:54 am

Fazmotron wrote:If you want to see how obsessed she is, go and buy platinum and see the special features of her and her "collection".

Its impressively scary.

Thankfully I started saving up for it.
I have $40 I need about 30 + tax and what not.

Anywho,
back on topic.

Some of the main players said they would want to reprise there roles.
Amanda Winn Lee, Spike Spencer, and Tiffany Grant.

Although as for some of the other VAs from the original dub (including Director's cut) it has been said that some VAs don't want to be apart of it and have moved on and simply can't be found. :ehh:

Master Raven
Adam

Postby Master Raven » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:05 am

Just bring Tiffany Grant (optional). I'd want mostly a new cast.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby master_lloyd » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:20 am

All I know is, whoever they choose, we're going to spend the next decade bitching about them.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:48 am

True.........................................
Well from what I know I think the cast will be mostly new but
Spike Spencer and Amanda Winn Lee will be in Rebuild and Tiffany in 2.0
:woohoo:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”