New American blu-ray speculations?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Italyzpizza
Adam

New American blu-ray speculations?

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:14 am

Yes, it's too early to say for certain in terms of anything. But I thought it'd be cool if we had any thoughts as to how a potential set would play out in the west.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the only dubs included were the Amazon dubs, but what I'd love to see is less usage of the JP voices in the English tracks. Would be nice if we also got the original Funimation dubs of the first three films as extras (let's face it: if GKids was able to get ADV's dub for the TV series, then I don't see how it'd be impossible to get the original dubs for the films as well).

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: New American blu-ray speculations?

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:42 am

View Original PostItalyzpizza wrote: Would be nice if we also got the original Funimation dubs of the first three films as extras (let's face it: if GKids was able to get ADV's dub for the TV series, then I don't see how it'd be impossible to get the original dubs for the films as well).

Not a chance I'd say. Gkids could get the ADV dub because ADV no longer exists. Funimation still very much exists, and the fact that Khara went out of their way to redub 1.0-3.0 suggests that Funi isn't just going to let Amazon/Gkids use their dubs now that they have cut out by Khara.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:49 am

Well... Can't exactly say you don't have a point there.

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:02 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Not a chance I'd say. Gkids could get the ADV dub because ADV no longer exists. Funimation still very much exists, and the fact that Khara went out of their way to redub 1.0-3.0 suggests that Funi isn't just going to let Amazon/Gkids use their dubs now that they have cut out by Khara.

I know I say this fairly regularly on here, but this isn't really how ownership of English dubs usually work nowadays. There are some exceptions, such as Netflix, but usually the Japanese company owns the dubs they produce. Given dubs produced by FUNimation prior to Evangelion 1.0 in 2009 (Fullmetal Alchemist, 2004), at the same time as Evangelion 1.0 (Sgt. Frog, 2009), and after Evangelion 1.0 (Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, 2012) have all been made available by other companies such as Aniplex USA and Discotek, it is safe to assume that Khara owns the rights to the English dubs for 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 produced by FUNimation. Khara in all likelihood redubbed 1.0 and 2.0 because they did not directly oversee the production of FUNimation's dubs for those films and redubbed 3.0 a third time to match the Amazon dubs of the other three.

Also, for the record, the ADV brand is owned by Sentai Filmworks and is still used on some titles to this day. Regarding the dubs of Death(true)2 and The End of Evangelion, Manga Entertainment still exists officially as part of Lion's Gate, though they don't license anything new and just continue to make legacy titles available such as Ghost in the Shell. Given when the ADV and Manga dubs were produced, the fact Netflix likely owns the VSI dubs due to their absence on the new European sets, and the uncertainty of the Amazon dubs since they've never really contracted to dub a title before, the FUNimation dubs are probably the most likely Evangelion English productions to be directly owned by Khara.

I imagine GKids will get the rights to the films at some point and release them individually and collected together in a more expensive set. If we base these releases on the NGE sets, you could make the argument that the individual sets will include the "Official Version" seen on Amazon while the the collection could have a "bonus Classic Version" of the FUNimation dubs and subs, though I think it's less likely than the ADV and Manga dubs given the decision to bring back most of the ADV and Manga cast for the Amazon dubs. I just think Khara want to distance themselves from FUNimation more than anything else due to whatever happened with 3.0.

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:47 pm

A side question: considering the fact that NF charges a lot for their dubs, it makes me wonder how GKids was able to get the ENG NF dub.

I'm guessing that Khara mandated that NF sell the ENG version at a price that GKids could afford (correct me if I'm wrong).

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:21 pm

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:the uncertainty of the Amazon dubs since they've never really contracted to dub a title before

Didn’t Amazon license and dub Dororo and Vinland Saga, among others?
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:42 pm

Amazon did license Dororo and Vinland Saga, but Amazon didn't dub either. Both were streamed sub only on Prime (or maybe Anime Strike? I don't remember when Amazon discontinued that) before later being released on home video by Sentai Filmworks and Sentai is the one that dubbed them for the home video releases. Amazon producing new English dubs for Evangelion to my knowledge is a first for them and is probably something that was required in their contract with Khara.

Italyzpizza wrote:A side question: considering the fact that NF charges a lot for their dubs, it makes me wonder how GKids was able to get the ENG NF dub.

I'm guessing that Khara mandated that NF sell the ENG version at a price that GKids could afford (correct me if I'm wrong).

Khara wouldn't have any say in how much Netflix sold the VSI dubs for, if they had the European releases would include their VSI dubs. GKids has significantly more money to throw around than most of the European distributors as they're considered fairly mainstream in the animation world and work with Hollywood talent on their high profile titles like Ghibli and Studio Ponoc; to me that's the most likely reason they were able to include the English VSI dubs. FUNimation could probably afford Netflix's prices too now that they're backed by Sony, but I can't think of another American anime distributor that could. Maybe Viz Media?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:32 pm

If Amazon Prime doesn't have a years long exclusivity window to the Rebuilds outside Japan and Khara releases the domestic 4K/Blu-ray discs early in 2022 I wouldn't say it's impossible for a US Boxset to be released by GKids in late 2022 or sometime in 2023.

The NGE release seems to be a hit for GKids. The Ultimate Edition sold out. The Collector's Edition has sold out once and the new stock will probably sell out again soon. Add the Standard Edition into that and I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Evangelion ends up being GKids biggest seller by a large margin.

I could easily see them repeat this with the Rebuilds in one, two or more years time. An extra pricey Ultimate &/+ Collector's Edition with both dubs of the first three films and then a cheaper Standard Edition with just the "Official" Amazon dub.

In an ideal world I'd love to see a GKids Rebuild Boxset in late 2022, one year after their NGE release. But with Eva things take time.

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:14 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Not a chance I'd say. Gkids could get the ADV dub because ADV no longer exists. Funimation still very much exists, and the fact that Khara went out of their way to redub 1.0-3.0 suggests that Funi isn't just going to let Amazon/Gkids use their dubs now that they have cut out by Khara.

Funimation definitely doesn't have full ownership over their dubs, on Amazon's 3.33 page when the small preview thing plays, if you turn on the sound you can distinctly hear Tia Ballard's Midori exclaiming "It looks like the numbers are increasing!". If Khara didn't have some form of ownership over 3.33's dub, that line of audio wouldn't be allowed on there.
wait waht

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”