Small details you noticed in 3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

Small details you noticed in 3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:37 am

One that I found that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is that you can see Asuka Soryu's monkey doll in key ring form on Asuka Shikinami's backpack:

SPOILER: Show

Another that I noticed that others probably have seen that I missed the first few times I saw it was that when Gendo is talking about the outcome Shinji rejected, EOE's Third Impact is playing behind him. Not sure if everyone's already seen it, but I figured I'd post it anyway seeing as I didn't catch it:

Here's that same bit in EOE:

What other small details have people noticed?
wait waht

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

Re: Small details you noticed in 3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:51 am

Don't have a picture of it, but one of the pieces of equipment they retrieve from Euro Nerv is marked as "JA-02", aka Jet Alone 2, and it looks pretty similar to it.

I then noticed that that must be the bulk of Unit 02's new body in the final battle, since it has a similar silhouette.

So Jet Alone finally contributed, though only by being a fat battery and missile silo for Unit 02 haha.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:42 pm

The signs behind Shinji and Mari in Ube Train Station that say "ATS OK?"

I assume that's a railway thing and not an AT Field thing.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:05 pm

View Original PostThe Dragon Mask wrote:Don't have a picture of it, but one of the pieces of equipment they retrieve from Euro Nerv is marked as "JA-02", aka Jet Alone 2, and it looks pretty similar to it.

That's not all. There was a subtle change in those armoury blocks between the avant as shown in Paris in '19 and what was in the finished product

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:37 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:The signs behind Shinji and Mari in Ube Train Station that say "ATS OK?"

ATS stands for "Automatic Train Stop", an anti-collision system. The sign is meant as a reminder for drivers to check that their ATS systems are properly set and operational. In Japan you'd have the driver physically point at the sign, read it out aloud, and check their instruments to make sure that the instruction was followed. (Look at the pictures of the real Ube Station, those signs are straight out of real life)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Bryshe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Bryshe » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:12 am

Original text - in Russian  SPOILER: Show
Возможно деталь. Это сцена после Редзи и Каору. Означает ли этот голубой выход для ангелов? И под желтой стрелочкой, это вид сверху этого маленького ангара, как раз где сейчас находится Рей и она голубым цветом. Т.е Это что-то вроде очищение души от ангельской формы, чтобы Синдзи в дальнейшем мог перезагрузить мир с бывшими ангелами, чтобы они стали людьми (подтверждение теории), что на станции они уже переродились в людей.

Google translated:
Perhaps a detail. This is the scene after Ryoji and Kaworu. Does this blue exit mean angels? And under the yellow arrow, this is the top view of this little hangar, exactly where Rei is now and she is in blue. Ie This is something like cleansing the soul from the angelic form, so that Shinji can later reboot the world with the former angels, so that they become humans (confirmation of the theory) that at the station they have already been reborn into humans.

https://sun9-5.userapi.com/impg/LObTAFrgOL6yz4QNmCjRHaqsfJve6VAUmQua3A/VQEGdfvUCEE.jpg?size=921x507&quality=96&sign=12513edf420247cac16a14700e96e4ab&type=album

I just organized your post - JoelcrNeto

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:02 am

Here is an international forum, please use English, and provide a translation for you post.
Thank you in advance! ^_^

Note, my native language is Portuguese. You can use your mother tongue to talk to someone else who spoken your same language only in private messages (PM).
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:46 am

I found a thread on Twitter, with some interesting observations regarding the spear of Gaius: https://twitter.com/cccccc6512/status/1 ... 8194545670

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:33 pm

View Original PostRaikyu wrote:I found a thread on Twitter, with some interesting observations regarding the spear of Gaius: https://twitter.com/cccccc6512/status/1 ... 8194545670

Hmm, I don't really buy the theory that the colors of Gaius represent Misato wishing for Shinji and Asuka's relationship to work out. Gaius represents the Earth and humanity's collective will to continue as they are, in other words it represents all Lilin forms of life's will to keep on living. Shinji and Asuka don't really factor into that.

Not only that but if that was true, surely the vibe between Shinji and Asuka at the end wouldn't be "it's true we had feelings for eachother, but there's too much baggage so this is goodbye, thank you". Gaius would certainly have been messing up its mission if that was at all part of it.

In my opinion the spears represent broad fates/destinies/wills that have been passed down. A lynchpin of Gendo's plan was to rid the world of all 6(?) that were passed down by God (it seems Cassius represents Seele's hope to take the place of the angels and all copies of Longinus represent the angels' fate to wipe out the Lilin). By getting rid of the two fates passed down BY God, only Gendo's will remained in the anti-universe to shape reality using the Golgotha object, but they saved the day by artificially constructing a new one to override his will with a more divine alternative that with the help of Shinji turned the tide.

The anti-universe is susceptible to strong wills so by giving Unit-01/Shinji (a power equal to Unit-13/Gendo) a stronger will than Gendo's human/Nebuchadnezzar will, Unit-01 had the advantage (with the help of Shinji convincing Gendo he was wrong).

I basically see it as using a special key to start an engine/car. In the presence of a stronger key, which transferred the will of all Lilin, their wishes were able to be granted by Shinji.

Anyways all this is to say that I think the point is its the collective will of the Lilin/Gaia, and Las doesn't come into it, especially because if it did they wouldn't have ended their relationship. (Plus programming in a wish that effects a human relationship seems kind of like it'd be against their will which doesn't seem right).

Anyways even so thank you for posting the theory. I know you didn't write it and even to the one who did I don't mean this critique of it personally. I just think it's kind of missing the point of the thing.

Edit:
Anyways, to contribute a bit to this thread, I thought I'd share that I noticed on a rewatch that when Shinji sees a vision of Quantum Rei, the moon is "healed"/normal in the background. IMO this has some significance and even though it doesn't have the same blood streak from at the end of EoE (aka one similar to the one it had in Rebuild), this represents how Quantum Rei is the same one that was created in EoE.

My reasoning for this is that even though we do see the mannequin headless CGI Reis created in 3+1, if any of them were meant to be the explanation for Quantum Rei in 1.0 (same spot as NGE ep1), 3.0 (observing Rei Q in LCL) and 3.0+1.0 (watching over Shinji at the lake), then I feel like they would have behaved and acted like the previous hoard of Reis from EoE, but they didn't. Rather they were just reformed Eva Infinities/FoI's, and didn't teleport nor reap souls for Instrumentality. In addition they just don't look like Quantum Rei, who is 2D animated and still has a head on her shoulders.

Since 3.0+1.0 didn't demonstrate an alternative creation of Quantum Rei, IMO much like how Kaworu has repeated the cycle since NGE, Quantum Rei has as well. Rei is more passive than Kaworu, so the way she uses her existence through all time and space in every alternate world is just to be an observer. Whereas Quantum Kaworu tries to actively "fix" Shinji/make sure he gets an outcome that brings him happiness. The metaphorical meaning of him failing every time is that Shinji must reach his happiness himself and by his own will, you can't just force someone to be happy.

Also even though Kaworu says he's fated to repeat the cycle forever, I don't think that really contradicts it being his own will that started the loop. Firstly in EoE Lilith and Adam merge so Kaworu logically retains both fruits, meaning he now has in some form an independent will and "knowledge of good and evil" in addition to the godly power to use it, so I believe he would be able to initiate his own fates/wills at that point. Additionally, Evangelion (both NGE and NTE) has a consistent theme of people forming destructive cycles, sometimes even by nothing but their own wills, even when they know better.

Therefore I don't see Kaworu lamenting his continual repeating fate as implying he didn't start the cycle, since so many people know they are stuck doing the same thing over and over again but feel like they can do it right "this time". It takes Shinji to snap him out of it. Additionally his speech about music and "playing over and over until you're happy with the result" is definitely a metaphor for not only Shinji's continual battle with depression but also Kaworu's self imposed cycle.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:07 pm

The ground zero of 2nd impact is divided into multiple layers:

Euclidean space
Eva infinities multiply
L-containment field / Upper Doors of guf (?) / 5 Cross pillars (?)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Border of the underworld / Acheron

L-containment field 1st layer

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L-containment field 2nd layer

River of Blood / Phlegethon

L-containment field 3rd layer

Lower Doors of Guf / Gates of hell
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANTI-UNIVERSE
GOLGOTHA OBJECT

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:49 am

View Original PostRaikyu wrote:I found a thread on Twitter, with some interesting observations regarding the spear of Gaius: https://twitter.com/cccccc6512/status/1 ... 8194545670

I really, really want someone to tell this author that the three colors of camera setup Dualshock controllers were just the three default colors they happened to have in the real-life studio recreated in that scene. It might not be true but it’d be hilarious.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:15 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:I really, really want someone to tell this author that the three colors of camera setup Dualshock controllers were just the three default colors they happened to have in the real-life studio recreated in that scene. It might not be true but it’d be hilarious.

Yeah I mean I can go off on wild ideas sometimes but this color theory is very weak. It has no solid basis in anything. And since when is white primarily associated with Rei and not blue? What are they even trying to say by associating Shinji to the blue controller, Rei 2 to the white controller and Rei 6/Q with the black one? As far as I can tell there's not even a point they're trying to make, just random color associations.

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:41 am

Yeah, after reading all of that stuff again, I changed my mind

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:54 am

It is true that Anno is sensitive to colors/color symbolism and reusing those colors specifically was probably a conscious choice, but that particular analysis seems a little overcooked. It’s not a secret code really: more “it’s like poetry, it rhymes.”
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:27 pm

Here's a good one. During the flashback of the Third Impact, the Mark.06's armour has blood orange segments and on it's shoulder pylons indicating it's in it's pseudo evolved form.
I watch and speculate.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:38 pm

The full-body costumes of the NGE versions of Evas 01, 00 and 00-kai in the Tokusatsu studio.
A poster of "My neighbor Totoro" on the library.
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:20 am

3.0+1.0: "Five minutes until phase 2 of N1 rocket attachment resumes."

Me: Well that's an on-the-nose-name for a rocket booster, but ok--

Little later...

Me: Oh, you literally meant N1s.

Fly me to the Moon indeed. -o-; FOR MOTHER RUSSIA!
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

chattyfish
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby chattyfish » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:45 pm

At first I wanted to write this somewhere in "Quantum Rei" or "The Last Train Station Scene" discussion, but in the end I realized that this thread is the most suitable.

The original series began with a mysterious sequence: waiting for Misato Shinji looks at a bend in the road, in the middle of which there's a Fata Morgana Rei in a school uniform looking at him. He's distracted by a flock of white birds taking off from the wires, looks back to the road, but there is no one. In the next instant a thundering wave of air from the explosion covers him. And all would probably did not care about it if the same take-off birds had not been inserted into the first meeting of Shinji and Rei in an alternate reality, where they, running to school, collided with their heads at the turn. Well, this is definitely a sign! Not clear which one, but... do not ask questions, just keep reflect.

When at the end of EoE, hearing the splash and turning his head, Shinji sees her ghost hovering over red water and looking at him, at that moment the girl was confidently promoted to quantum entities. There were no birds, but this didn't bother anyone, because, you know, the question "why is he strangling Asuka in the final?" tightly blocked everything else. As we know, the series had difficulties with production at one time, the concept changed several times, just think of it as a mascot for memory. And in general, there are some problems with animals after the end of the world, obv.

In my opinion, Eva has always had a bunch of purely artistic images that are not subject to analytics. It may even be just woven from them. And maybe that's why Eva was so painful, beautiful and sometimes very touching. The emphasis was clearly on aesthetic composition, not theories, hidden meanings and other such things. Therefore, intuitively, Rei's appearances were perceived (by me) as a greeting and goodbye to the young man in a completely fucking segment of his life, each time promising big changes ahead. And again, there's no one to ask, and over the past time her awaiting image has become a "basic" for the story, a mandatory checkpoint.

The announcement of Rebuild to production was accompanied by cool stories, they say, "this time we will do it right", without mistakes. And it's true, for example, they removed the classic scene from the beginning where the de-energized 01 protects the boy from falling debris. (It broke the line that 01 turns the beast under the influence of boy's feelings, not his mother.) However, Rei's phantom and her dovecote were still there. She still stands on the road at the very beginning of 1.11 and looks at him. Just try not to draw it and all the seagulls near the studio will be burned by her fans.

And here's the 4th film. Shinji sits on the Nerv ruins, leaving Third Village to retire at the lake. Birds plunge from electric poles, he raises his head and sees Ayanami's mirage hovering above the water and looking at him against the backdrop of a huge non-striped moon. Meanwhile he's distracted by her q-version, Shinji raises his head again, but there is none.

Maybe there's nothing in it, and the creators just like this image. Maybe the birds fly away disturbed by the noise, while Shinji has progressive schizophrenia against the background of childhood trauma. Or maybe this one is Ayanami who, together with him, revises favorite filmstrips in film studios. Who knows. But then he wakes up at the station. On a nearby platform, people who look suspiciously like the grown-ups Kaworu, Rei, and possibly Asuka are waiting for their train. The camera captures Kaworu and Rei standing together. The train stops, the birds take off, and no one is left on the platform. And while the new question is "why is he with Mari?" and "Why is she with Kaworu?" again caught all the attention, personally I really like the slipping unnoticed detail -- this last time she didn't look at him.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:21 pm

When each of the main characters comes back or 'wakes up' from instrumentality they stop wearing their plug suits and return to their normal clothing and original states before impact. Asuka wakes up in that army jacket after the beach scene and her eye is back to normal, Rei II returns to her school uniform and her hair is back to being short, Shinji is back in his school uniform after his mom saves him, Mari jumps into the ocean in a plug suit but comes up in her school uniform. This also parallels the many exposition shots in the movie where you see the plugs suits being hung up to dry, almost foreshadowing the end of Eva.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:56 pm

View Original Postdzzthink wrote:Mari jumps into the ocean in a plug suit but comes up in her school uniform.

Minus her thigh-highs for whatever reason.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”