Tv documentary to air about the last 4 years of Anno and production of shin eva

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: Tv documentary to air about the last 4 years of Anno and production of shin eva

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:53 am

well, the original eva also changed a lot during its production.

Some writers just put one chapter following from the last rather than making a big outline.

Now I defs want to see it & I do like that they honored the hard work of the underlings & stuff

i wonder if they'll be a cr like thing where we get to see the alternate endings
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Tv documentary to air about the last 4 years of Anno and production of shin eva

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:00 am

There is probably enough cut material to make it 3 hours long for a home release i predict

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:12 am

idk how finalized it is given how much work went into every little scene

but the 2.0 cr makes me hopeful that we might see some of the cut material someday

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:36 pm

A comment on Ikuhara's comments on the documentary, saying that they are worded in a Kaworu-like manner.

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:48 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:A comment on Ikuhara's comments on the documentary, saying that they are worded in a Kaworu-like manner.

Haven't seen it myself, but in a similar way, apparently some of the things Moyoco says in the doc are very similar to some of Mari's lines in Shin. Anyone able to corroborate?
Après moi le déluge!

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:10 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:I think ppl are riding that supposed parallel re: Mari way too hard & without enough foundation, just based on the idea that their conversation at the end could be read as slightly flirty?

Yeah it's more about what Mari represents in terms of Anno's life rather than a literal physical or personality-based representation of his real laifu waifu. I mean they don't even have the same colour eyes :D

Then again maybe she does do that thing with her glasses when she wants Anno to do the dishes or something. Most man are helpless in the face of that move at the best of times.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:20 pm

Twitter thread with translated highlights starts here -- https://twitter.com/alex_swak/status/13 ... 9561641985
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:15 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Twitter thread with translated highlights starts here -- https://twitter.com/alex_swak/status/13 ... 9561641985

First impression of Anno - “a terrorist” LOL

Anno reluctant to be filmed much during a documentary focused on him LOL

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:11 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Twitter thread with translated highlights starts here -- https://twitter.com/alex_swak/status/13 ... 9561641985

This is nice, heh. Thanks. Anno's talk about pushing himself into his work, because that's the only meaningful contribution to the world/society he can give is interesting. I really want to see that doc at some point now.

(And for those who don't know, AnnoCinema has been funding money to get a translation done and he has succeeded! So hopefully we'll be seeing a subtitled version of the doc at some point soon.)

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:43 pm

I'm surprised it wasn't posted but there was a link on youtube to the entire Anno documentary on youtube that has been since taken down (not sure if it's just region locked for copyright).

I watched the documentary again a few days ago and here are my notes I took after watching

He talked about how he wanted other people to make the storyboards this time because he drew all the storyboards in the last movies and he wanted to see something new. He kept making the staff redo the storyboards so that they could gain experience in making storyboards so that when they looked at their finished storyboards, they could find new ideas on how to improve and make it better. One storyboarder joked about he had a dream about seeing the finished movie in theatre and there was a giant octopus in a scene with Unit 01 and 02.

At times it seemed like Anno talked like a philosopher. He also has a secret place he goes to work out creative ideas by himself.

In the mo-cap studio, he said he didn't want to touch the camera because he thought he would take over the whole process and do it himself. If he held the camera himself, it would just look like what he saw in his head, and he wouldn't be able to find any additional interesting angles or shots (which is what he was going for). A big point was when he was in the editing room and being very selective about his shots and angles in the pre-animation process. This is because he didn't want to use normal looking angles.

In a staff meeting about the part A script, various staff members had comments about how it was too long. Given that the staff had these comments, they surmised that the audience would feel the same way. Anno proposed that if he had to rewrite the script from the beginning, he'd do it.

In an interview with the mechanical designer, he said how in a typical animation, everything is planned out before but with the way they work, things keep changing until the very end and that's typical with an eva production. He said this process can be somewhat difficult/ frustrating but it's fun.

Anno said after finishing NGE, he tried jumping off his company's roof twice but decided against it because he thought it would be too painful and he wanted a quick death (And of course we know how thereafter, he wanted to quit anime).

Famous animator, Suzuki-san, said that Shinji is Anno and he's like a 14 year old boy who didn't grow up.

Ogata said Evangelion is Hideaki Anno and without hi, there is no Evangelion. Another voice actress commented that he looked like an Angel because he has a small cute face with long arms (like Sachiel). Miyamura said he was like girl-boy.

Anno met with the producers of the documentary and told them that if they focus all of their shots on him, it won't be interesting.

Anno said that he puts everything he thinks is interesting into eva and eva in itself is a self parody.

The main staff were talking about deadlines and the script in a meeting and Anno was like: Well, if we have to rewrite the script from scratch, so be it. The main cast also mention how Anno knows about the pressure to finish the movie for the gans.

There was a moving part about how Anno's father lost his leg in a logging accident. That's why he liked Tetsujin 28 (show's image of testujin 28 without an arm or leg). He goes on to say how he likes the image of broken things. After finishing Q, he said he was completely broken.

At the end, he said he's only useful for making anime and that's why he did it. He also said he didn't like the title of "professional" for the documentary
Oh, the clock is ticking out

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:49 am

I think all artists feel that way to some degree. Some desperate need to do at least something with meaning even while knowing that it only had meaning cause we say so

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:45 pm

Despite his claims to the contrary, Anno sure sounds like an interesting person.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:40 pm

Fascinating stuff.

View Original PostPluto wrote: Another voice actress commented that he looked like an Angel because he has a small cute face with long arms (like Sachiel).

:rofl: :sachi_blush:
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Whitetiger739
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Whitetiger739 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:07 am

View Original PostPluto wrote:I'm surprised it wasn't posted but there was a link on youtube to the entire Anno documentary on youtube that has been since taken down (not sure if it's just region locked for copyright).

He talked about how he wanted other people to make the storyboards this time because he drew all the storyboards in the last movies and he wanted to see something new. He kept making the staff redo the storyboards so that they could gain experience in making storyboards so that when they looked at their finished storyboards, they could find new ideas on how to improve and make it better. One storyboarder joked about he had a dream about seeing the finished movie in theatre and there was a giant octopus in a scene with Unit 01 and 02.

Is it like a training for Khara's staff and future potential creators on creating their own storyboards for Shin Eva as a way to ensure that these staffs/creators will understand more on how to create future Eva contents after Anno leaves? I know that from 2016 interview that Anno stated that Eva will remain as one of Khara's main output with future creators succeeding Anno.
Oh shoot, what time is it? Heading back to Nerv-2 in Nevada ASAP!

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:02 am

Whitetiger739 wrote:
Is it like a training for Khara's staff and future potential creators on creating their own storyboards for Shin Eva as a way to ensure that these staffs/creators will understand more on how to create future Eva contents after Anno leaves?

I feel like Anno's own explanations make more sense.

kuro hazama
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby kuro hazama » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:56 pm

wtf, the footage of the edit room where they are working on the angles with the spoken lines writtten as subtitles apparently implies there was a version of part A with a scene at the village where they are doing a matchmaking "ceremony" with one "Shinji Kaji" and Rei, Shinji Ikari is just curled in the background looking at the floor while one of the ladies expresses her uselesness for our Shinji ikari.

Unless im totally mistaken, but theres something going on there.
the eva team

gendo team brains/pimpface
ritsuko team cyborg
Misato team berserker
aoba team undead
hyuga team psycho
ibuki psycho stalker

fuyu team badass

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:27 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Fascinating stuff.

View Original PostPluto#918270 wrote: Another voice actress commented that he looked like an Angel because he has a small cute face with long arms (like Sachiel).

:rofl: :sachi_blush:

Clip can be found here ^_^
Oh, the clock is ticking out

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:34 pm

A subtitle file has been posted on /a/, for those who have the video.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:32 pm

It really doesn't give a good impression of him.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:02 am

Why is that?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”