Tv documentary to air about the last 4 years of Anno and production of shin eva

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Tv documentary to air about the last 4 years of Anno and production of shin eva

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:07 pm

Any known place to watch this?

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Tv documentary to air about the last 4 years of Anno and production of shin eva

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:58 pm

Only in Japan so far

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:52 pm

If you have a VPN, you can configure your country to Japan and watch it live on NHK Plus under the G-section.

There will be a little window that says you should subscribe if you want to remove it (NHK in Japan kinda works the same was as BBC in the UK). That is everyone with a TV must pay a yearly subscription fee for NHK.
Oh, the clock is ticking out

PainXIII12
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PainXIII12 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:43 am

Fingers crossed someone recorded this because info on Anno is rare enough as it is.

So the NHK world app on Roku won't have it???

Do not double post.
-Zusuchan

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:15 am

View Original PostPainXIII12 wrote:So the NHK world app on Roku won't have it???

Not yet, you have to watch it live on Japanese TV

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:24 am

what are the odds of anything resembling an explanation for Mari or the epilogue?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:53 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:what are the odds of anything resembling an explanation for Mari or the epilogue?

My strong guess is near zero. I saw in some previews that they censored the theatrical footage.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:40 am

Documentary has started, please someone who’s watching it / watched it write a summary after. Thanks

kuro hazama
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby kuro hazama » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:29 am

Didnt like It that much, you know that opinion some have of the film being kind of being too Anno(ego)centric?, this docu is basically Anno trying to sound deep talking about "fun" in imperfect things, breaking routine and breaking stuff(showing that at the very least part A was made without storyboards and instead was planned like an adlibbed live action film using motion capture actors and miniatures for the village after the script was written), Its mostly wankery of Anno´s character being absent while others talk about him and then saying "this isnt fun" when reviewing designs or reworking shot lists etc, he also is shown to only finish writing part D in 2019.

Most materials are blurred so there arent any big technical production insights, just mostly "genius in writer´s block" scenes, theres also Moyocco talking about his eating habits, Higuchi too mentioning his smell, Anno saying multiple times that this is the end of eva and that the work is more important than his life, though he also says the work represents his actual situation so this will go in a positive direction, the narration does try to contextualize things in big narratives like Moyocco saving Anno, escaping eva and him being this otherwordly entity with misterious ways that often dissapears from the studio.

Unfortunately, I was expecting more for a "4 years" deal, If one where to take this documental as a general, literal exposition of Anno´s proccess with this film, you would think Anno took his sweet time writing the script in pieces and then held the camera for whatever shots he wanted to improvise at the toho set or the train station, working in part A and the recordings while everyone else did the other stuff, I wanted to see more of the production of the film and this was mostly Anno talking about abstract things that dont illustrate productive developments either at work or in his life really in my opinion.

Its interesting that he mentions threads he saw online where people speculated about ways to kill him around the time of old eva, he says that took him out of making anime. (Unless he is lying, this debunks some crap I saw on 4chan when someone insisted the whole fan mail bit in eoe was "staged")

Also he didnt bother to watch the movie at the first screening and just waited outside saying "Its complete so I have to do the next job"
the eva team

gendo team brains/pimpface
ritsuko team cyborg
Misato team berserker
aoba team undead
hyuga team psycho
ibuki psycho stalker

fuyu team badass

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:50 am

You know what good for him.

He’s done with Eva now and it’s positive to see him cast it away now it’s done.

Dwelling on the past can eat away at you

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Tajai » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:22 am

To be honest that was kind of an underwhelming documentary. I expected it to focus on the actual production part of Shin Eva, not just Anno himself. Regardless of that it was okay
God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:39 am

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:13 am

That all sounds about right considering the actual hierarchal structure of these projects and Anno's past behaviour regarding endings: Anno's the primary source, everyone does the nitty gritty work and make extra contributions, then everyone waits on Anno as he struggles to write an ending 3 months before release.

girlifyoudidnt
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby girlifyoudidnt » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:27 pm

Anno saying he doesn't care for the program's title of "professional" at the end of the program.
https://twitter.com/Story_terrorV2/stat ... 6827851778

Tsurumaki's strength decreasing as time goes on

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:09 pm

NHK has been trolled by the master

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:23 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:NHK has been trolled by the master

Well put! To be honest, it was an NHK documentary so I didn't expect that much. It was cool to see how they used the motion capture to construct the scenes though

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:45 am

AnnoCinema has started a GoFundMe to professionally subtitle it the documentary.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/subbing-hide ... ocumentary?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:02 am

Some side-by-side comparisons with the documentary

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:54 am

I think ppl are riding that supposed parallel re: Mari way too hard & without enough foundation, just based on the idea that their conversation at the end could be read as slightly flirty?
The way they great each other rather suggests they haven't seen each other in a while & are meeting up.

The glasses are a bit similar but I think where it's rly at is ReiQ reading that comic.

Still, its amazing how they replicated all the details on the chairs!

There's this ted in Japanese media to replicate real places 1:1. Maybe because there are big cities that millions of ppl really live in, you could fit a third o Germany into just Tokyo, or half the UK.

My sister also remarked that when she went to Tokyo a lot of the places looked just like they did in persona 5.

I don't think ppl bother to get places that exact in Western media, ppl would rather make up some generic town in a specific part of the country. At most there's establishing shots of the eiffel tower, the statue of liberty, the berlin tv tower etc.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:32 am

After seeing it albeit without subtitles things I’ve taken away from it.

Animation is mentally straining. It just looks horrible. I don’t know whether it’s just the Japanese culture but it’s clear to see that Anno and khara staff put so much into making this film and it looked more stressful than anything else.

You get this like idea in the western world sometimes that it must be fun to make an animated movie but this doc just makes me think god why put yourself through that how do you cope, I mean even the pay wasn’t very good for some of them.

Anno strikes me as having moved on before the movie is even finished. He’s not making this because he wants to but because he needs to just to honour the contracts and to also just finish the series. I love that he’s in a better place and finally done with evangelion. Especially as he didn’t even sit to watch the first screening, choosing instead to do other bits and bobs on his laptop during the screening saying it’s done now, I can start other work.

Having said that I do not think that it has made the final films conclusion less satisfying to me, I like the script and I like the ending and I am looking forward to watching it.

It was very moving to see the staff emotional at the screening, seemingly breaking into tears at the sight of not necessarily an emotional scene but just at the sight of the final result of their hard work on the animation. While Anno is the general director, it wouldn’t be possible without the hard work of his staff making it a reality.

It was great to see some behind the scenes process which made you realise how much work goes into making these films, even with cgi and motion capture it’s a slog to make never mind over at ghibli with hand drawn animation.

Final thought, as it shows that in 2019 Anno had still not written an ending and it seemed to be changing all the time the overall story which has been apparent throughout the whole rebuild saga, I am more than convinced that the film wouldn’t of made a June 2020 release if Covid never happened, or if it did make that release it wouldn’t of been as well completed as it was now.

It seems while Anno is finally free of evangelion, which I’m glad for his own sake as a director and writer, he’s still just as much of a mystery as ever before

And yes his wife definitely inspired Mari LOL

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”