Original Asuka

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Original Asuka

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:16 am

Yeah, that. We see that montage in the context of Asuka talking abut her memories; why would it show another Asuka
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:22 pm

View Original PostArcher wrote:
View Original PostJoseki#940748 wrote:It doesn't matter, the point of Shikinami is that her entire existance is being an expendable jobber. Both in-universe and in the narrative.

I like to imagine that her angst over being a copy of “original Asuka” in the narrative is an intentional reflection of her being a copy of “original Asuka” in real life, LOL.

I highly doubt that’s actually the case of course, but it’s funny to think about.

I definitely think this was intentional; Rebuild is filled with metafictional nods to Eva as a franchise.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:56 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Alright, so I got this question that’s been bugging me a little, who was the original Shikinami really? Was she a normal human girl with actual parents, basically the NTE version of Asuka Soryu? Or was she actually the first bioengineered clone to be created, resulting the mass production of the Shikinami series?

Because if it’s the later, then where would NERV get the genetic material they needed to make clones? It’s not like they can just make someone out of thin air through the use of genetic manipulation.

If it’s the first, then it would make sense that Asuka Langley Shikinami is basically a copy of her original, meaning that she could essentially be biologically related to her original’s birth parents. And that’s something Asuka had wanted her whole life; a real family. She’s got to be from someone’s bloodline, right?

Also, what happened to the original after she absorbed Asuka into Unit-13’s core? Did they both merge together when Shinji freed Asuka from the curse of the EVA, resulting in being the one true Asuka, as the singular being?

There doesn't need to be a first 'person'. Test tube babies can be duplicated from the original embryo. The embryo just needs an egg and sperm donor and then I assume she was born either via a surrogate or even bladerunner style if the technology is there. Artificial wombs are now possible.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:00 pm

View Original Postdzzthink wrote:There doesn't need to be a first 'person'. Test tube babies can be duplicated from the original embryo. The embryo just needs an egg and sperm donor and then I assume she was born either via a surrogate or even bladerunner style if the technology is there. Artificial wombs are now possible.

If that’s the case that the original Shikinami is just another clone like the rest of her progenies, with no actual birth parents to begin with, and therefore have no bloodlines or any other relatives, that would in the end make her nothing. Just a being created by science living in a cold, unloving existence. I think you can imagine what a sad life that is, but I guess that’s the point of her story.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:25 am

CT, you have been asked multiple times to drop the topic of Shikinami being a clone. People are uncomfortable with your obsessive focus on it; I do not wish for it to come to this, but if you keep failing to heed this instruction, we may deem it necessary to remove your access to the Rebuild subforum.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Cola-09
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Cola-09 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:07 pm

I actually enjoy his obsession, it's cringy alright but he's become a sort of meme here. A nice laugh here and there.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:38 pm

How many people constitutes "people" being uncomfortable? 2? 3?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't read their posts and think for a second that some kind of internet etiquette is being neglected, especially given the thread topic. The content of their posts overall seems varied enough. They're just probing a certain angle of the franchise. Isn't that the point of this place?
Après moi le déluge!

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:24 pm

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:How many people constitutes "people" being uncomfortable? 2? 3?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't read their posts and think for a second that some kind of internet etiquette is being neglected, especially given the thread topic. The content of their posts overall seems varied enough. They're just probing a certain angle of the franchise. Isn't that the point of this place?

It just seems a weird C.T.1290 focus so much on how Asuka being a clone means she isn't a human or a person.

I mean, I've understand people don't like the change. However, the argument than Asuka being a clone makes her less a human or a person seems something the story doesn't support at all.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:56 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:It just seems a weird C.T.1290 focus so much on how Asuka being a clone means she isn't a human or a person.

I mean, I've understand people don't like the change. However, the argument than Asuka being a clone makes her less a human or a person seems something the story doesn't support at all.

That particular aspect is indeed the problem, because that's what the topic comes back around to sooner or later every time CT touches it; we're not forbidding anyone from talking about what they think of Shikinami being a clone, but this angle on it in particular is both broadly uncomfortable enough that people have complained, in public as well as in private, and the specific reasonings given for it in an earlier instance of this debate with CT would also exclude some very real people existing in this world from being considered a real human based on some notions of bioessentialism, which is the other big reason that we are shutting this down, because we're not giving a platform to that sort of thing

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:54 pm

But feeling "less than human" is part of the narrative itself and the trajectories of two of its central character's arcs. CT even says at the end there "but I guess that's the point of her story," and indeed that's where much of her internal conflict originates. I don't really get the sense that CT is saying anything discriminatory about what constitutes actual humans, I think they're just conflating the addition of Asuka being a clone to the feeling that her character is "lesser than" Sohryu, which ... why can't someone view those things as overlapping? They totally coincide. Rei as clone is a long established, integral part of the character. But adding in clone-hood post-facto lends itself to being seen as "contrived" and so "contrived" being related to "artificial." But I don't think that in itself constitutes some kind of broader non-Eva-related attitude about IVF, or whatever, if it happens not to mesh for them and they end up seeing the whole clone thing as second-rate. It seems kind of ridiculous to me to attach some kind of chauvinism to it. Why should the discomfort at the last-minute addition of this kind of plot detail be taken with less credibility than people attaching malice to something with little reason, as if attaching malice to something itself lends someone instant credibility?
Après moi le déluge!

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:33 pm

Context is key here:
https://forum.evageeks.org/post/939208/Are-the-clones-pseudo-Lilins-really-considered-human-beings/#939208
Seems like there is some religiously based, genuine believe that clones are inferior beings or something. If not maybe CT should clarify, but I get why it can make people uncomfortable. Since irl people are 100% conceived in the non-traditional method nowadays as well.

As for Asuka being a clone, people picked up on hints in 2.0 already.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:56 pm

View Original PostCola-09 wrote:I actually enjoy his obsession, it's cringy alright but he's become a sort of meme here. A nice laugh here and there.

Oh, ha ha. Very funny.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”