Original Asuka

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Natalie the Cat
Lilith

Re: Original Asuka

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:04 am

That was clearly the cosmic Asuka who encompasses all variation within the one.

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:45 am

I believe this was Asuka from the 2nd movie. When Asuka pulled off her patch etc. in the 4th movie it opened up the possibility of a visit from the Asuka of the 2nd movie. I believe what happened was Kaworu let Asuka 2 through the gate to deal with the Asuka 4. Asuka's soul was not inside Unit 13 but Asuka 2 came alive because of the Angel contamination and Kaworu.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:01 am

View Original PostunitM wrote:I believe this was Asuka from the 2nd movie. When Asuka pulled off her patch etc. in the 4th movie it opened up the possibility of a visit from the Asuka of the 2nd movie. I believe what happened was Kaworu let Asuka 2 through the gate to deal with the Asuka 4. Asuka's soul was not inside Unit 13 but Asuka 2 came alive because of the Angel contamination and Kaworu.

I think Asuka in the 4th movie is the same Asuka from the 2nd movie. The original Shikinami seems to be the donnor for the Shikinami clones.

I think it's possible original Shikinami has always been inside inside Eva-02 (after all, Eva-02 created AT Field to protect Eva-13). Maybe Shikinami is the soul that gives "life" to Eva-02, since Kyoko doesn't seem to exist in Rebuild movies.

That said, Kaworu is against Gendo's plans, so he wouldn't help Gendo deal with Asuka. His soul seems to be trapped without control inside Eva-13.
Last edited by Konja7 on Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:07 am

^
I'm not sure if Asuka 4 or 2 are the same or different but I don't think that matters. It probably is the same Asuka continuity but what's important to my belief is that the moment she pulled off the patch etc. Asuka 4 opened the door to being visited by the angelic Asuka. After Unit 01 Dummy Plug destroyed Asuka, there was a comment about their being mental contamination, I think this has something to do with it.

Also I don't feel very strongly about saying Kaworu is against Gendo... Kaworu left some indications that he and Gendo were allied on a number of points through the series.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:14 am

View Original PostunitM wrote:I'm not sure if Asuka 4 or 2 are the same or different but I don't think that matters. It probably is the same Asuka continuity but what's important to my belief is that the moment she pulled off the patch etc. Asuka 4 opened the door to being visited by the angelic Asuka. After Unit 01 Dummy Plug destroyed Asuka, there was a comment about their being mental contamination, I think this has something to do with it.

I understand your point better now. However, Asuka called the other as Original Shikinami.

That's why I have doubts she will be result from the Angel contamination.

View Original PostunitM wrote:Also I don't feel very strongly about saying Kaworu is against Gendo... Kaworu left some indications that he and Gendo were allied on a number of points through the series.

What are these indications?

In 3.0, it seems pretty clear Kaworu is against Gendo. Kaworu plans to restore the World using the Spears, but Gendo planned the Fourth Impact in 3.0 to kill Kaworu.

Also, Kaworu's goal to make Shinji happy is contradictory with Gendo's plans.

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:22 am

SPOILER: Show
View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostunitM#928360 wrote:Also I don't feel very strongly about saying Kaworu is against Gendo... Kaworu left some indications that he and Gendo were allied on a number of points through the series.

In 3.0, it seems pretty clear Kaworu is against Gendo. Kaworu plans to restore the World using the Spears, but Gendo put changed the Spear of Cassius.

Also, Kaworu's goal to make Shinji happy is contradictory with Gendo's plans.

It's definitely not as clear as you're remembering...

If we're talking about the 3rd movie, the only reason Shinji and Kaworu got in Unit 13 was because Gendo said so. Gendo also built(at the very least appeared to be in charge of supervising) Unit 13's completion, which Kaworu gladly hopped in. Gendo also(likely) set Kaworu and Shinji up with a piano. A lot of the trauma Gendo inflicted on Shinji in the 3rd movie was to have Shinji form a stronger bond with Kaworu. Kaworu has no issue sending respect to Gendo by calling him the King of Lilin and father. Gendo is close with Kaji who is close with Kaworu.

Not only that but NERV(Gendo) and SEELE are 2 factions in the series which ally towards a number of points too.

Yes when Shinji and Kaworu find Lilith in the 3rd movie, Kaworu realizes something's not right. Gendo's mission may be different than Kaworu's but they certainly agree and help each other on a number of points. In the 4th movie, Kaworu's soul is in Eva 13 when it reactivates and defeats Asuka, this was a plan devised by Gendo. Gendo later on also goes into Unit 13 where Kaworu already is.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:36 am

View Original PostunitM wrote:It's definitely not as clear as you're remembering...

I remember everything you mentioned.

However, the reason why Shinji got in Unit 13 is because Kaworu said they will use the Spear of Cassius and the Spear of Longinus to restore the World and end NERV's plans for the Fourth Impact.

The friendship between Kaji and Kaworu seems to imply Kaworu has always been on human side too. After all, Kaji died to stop the Third Impact.

Also, (surprisingly) Gendo doesn't cause the trauma that makes Shinji to form a stronger bond with Kaworu. Curiously, this trauma is caused by WILLE.

PS: Kaworu calling Gendo as "King of Lilin" doesn't seem to be a praise.
Last edited by Konja7 on Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:05 am, edited 9 times in total.

Gendo's Glasses
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo's Glasses » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:55 am

In the third film, Gendo is pretending to go along with SEELE's plan which involves sending Kaworu and Shinji down to Lillith's chamber to kick-off/restart/continue the Impact. Kaworu is said to be "SEELE's boy" and SEELE are established to be above Gendo in the hierarchy, meaning Kaworu presumably has more say than Gendo does. Gendo, however, is planning on rewriting their scenario and this involves eliminating an unsuspecting Kaworu and SEELE themselves -- which he accomplishes via somehow switching the Spears. Kaworu's 'King' comment is at best a sign of grudging respect or a display of outright hatred.

Gendo didn't set up Kaworu and Shinji with the piano. The way Fuyutsuki reports it to him, it's more like something happened that they had no say in -- reflecting the idea that SEELE is up to something. "SEELE's boy has contacted the Third Child." Kaworu has always been against Gendo, but where 3.33 seemed to indicate he was pro-SEELE, the final film seems to say he was pro-Shinji, and arguably introduces a lot of issues with 3.33's narrative. But I don't think it's possible to make a sound argument that Kaworu and Gendo were ever allied.

RussianRiz
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RussianRiz » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:54 am

I also believe that Original Asuka is the Core of Unit-02. Makes sense and discarts Kyoko in a plausible sense.

jinisjin12
Embryo

So why was Asuka a clone? What happened to the original?

•      
  •      

Postby jinisjin12 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:26 pm

I get the clone was meant be used for the final impact but what happened to the original Asuka? We see literally nothing about her in the entirety of Rebuild.

Lickitung
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lickitung » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:46 pm

View Original PostRussianRiz wrote: which one is the Original Asuka? Is it Sohryu? The 2.22 Asuka? Or even another one?

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Re: So why was Asuka a clone? What happened to the original?

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:15 pm

View Original Postjinisjin12 wrote:I get the clone was meant be used for the final impact but what happened to the original Asuka? We see literally nothing about her in the entirety of Rebuild.

If she's a test tube baby like her manga counterpart there's probably no original.

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:30 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:If she's a test tube baby like her manga counterpart there's probably no original.

And what she calls "her original" may be the first Shikinami produced.

View Original PostLickitung wrote:

I've got the feeling that's NTE's version of Kyoko, but we have no evidence to prove that.

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:21 pm

The Kaworu-Gendo bit is off-topic but this is the original statement I made regarding that:

Kaworu left some indications that he and Gendo were allied on a number of points

Gendo's mission may be different than Kaworu's but they certainly agree and help each other on a number of points.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:34 pm

View Original PostunitM wrote:The Kaworu-Gendo bit is off-topic but this is the original statement I made regarding that:

As I said, Gendo and Kaworu doesn't seem to agree on their goals at all.

Gendo and Kaworu need Eva-13 for their respective goals, so both pretended to be on SEELE side (thus, pretending to be on the same side). However, their respective goals are extremely different.

Kaworu's goal is to make Shinji happy and he wanted the restoration of the Earth to achieve this. That's totally contadictory with Gendo's plan for Instrumentality

Anyway, as you mentioned, this is off-topic.

rangure0412
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby rangure0412 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:06 pm

View Original PostunitM wrote:^
I'm not sure if Asuka 4 or 2 are the same or different but I don't think that matters. It probably is the same Asuka continuity but what's important to my belief is that the moment she pulled off the patch etc. Asuka 4 opened the door to being visited by the angelic Asuka. After Unit 01 Dummy Plug destroyed Asuka, there was a comment about their being mental contamination, I think this has something to do with it.

Also I don't feel very strongly about saying Kaworu is against Gendo... Kaworu left some indications that he and Gendo were allied on a number of points through the series.

I really think is ruled out that original Shikinami is inside eva 2 for the fact that Kaworu also appear with her. Clearly she is inside unit 13.

rangure0412
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby rangure0412 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:28 pm

View Original PostRaikyu wrote:
View Original PostLickitung#928405 wrote:

I've got the feeling that's NTE's version of Kyoko, but we have no evidence to prove that.

Is already ruled out that she can be Mari? The hair color looks like Mari, the color of the glasses also. But definitely in this picture she has the Asuka hairstyle, this is not a coincidence. Sounds crazy but i kinda believe yet in the old theory that Mari and Asuka are related. The seed of the Shikinami series? This can be the secret that Maaya Sakamoto is going to take to the grave?

https://otakuusamagazine.com/evangelion ... her-grave/

catinajar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby catinajar » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:51 pm

View Original Postjinisjin12 wrote:I get the clone was meant be used for the final impact but what happened to the original Asuka? We see literally nothing about her in the entirety of Rebuild.

She can’t be a fully artificial human surely - her mother’s soul is in her Eva? That said, I don’t know what happened to her in this version. I know Asuka was killed at the end of EoE. But given this is a time loop I don’t suppose that makes much difference. Maybe one of the clones was just better at combat so that used it instead?
'I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....

'Shinji really shines in the hospital scene' - LiLi on the... ah-hem... 'Beautiful Boy' ;)

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:19 pm

View Original Postrangure0412 wrote:Is already ruled out that she can be Mari? The hair color looks like Mari, the color of the glasses also. But definitely in this picture she has the Asuka hairstyle, this is not a coincidence. Sounds crazy but i kinda believe yet in the old theory that Mari and Asuka are related. The seed of the Shikinami series? This can be the secret that Maaya Sakamoto is going to take to the grave?

https://otakuusamagazine.com/evangelion ... her-grave/

That's indeed interesting. I hope Anno reveals those mysteries too.

View Original Postcatinajar wrote:She can’t be a fully artificial human surely - her mother’s soul is in her Eva? That said, I don’t know what happened to her in this version. I know Asuka was killed at the end of EoE. But given this is a time loop I don’t suppose that makes much difference. Maybe one of the clones was just better at combat so that used it instead?

Well, we still don't know what soul is in Unit-02, in this continuity (assuming that there is a soul in first place).

I once read a theory that maybe there was a real Asuka, but Kyoko successfully killed her in this universe, contrary to what happened in NGE.

But one thing that intrigues me is when she says "I don't know Daddy... Mommy isn't around...". Maybe I'm overthinking, but for some reason, those dialogues don't exclude the possibility of her having parents. Maybe there is a father, but she does not know him, just like there is a mother, but she's in another place. I don't know, maybe just like I said, I'm overthinking.

Edit: I'm still curious about that scene where a kid Asuka sees Shinji and his family.

rangure0412
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby rangure0412 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:26 pm

View Original Postcatinajar wrote:She can’t be a fully artificial human surely - her mother’s soul is in her Eva? That said, I don’t know what happened to her in this version. I know Asuka was killed at the end of EoE. But given this is a time loop I don’t suppose that makes much difference. Maybe one of the clones was just better at combat so that used it instead?

Asuka is alive in the ending of EoE

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”