Amazon Prime's English Dub (General)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
weeminator24
Embryo

Re: Sooo, the new Rebuild dubs....

•      
  •      

Postby weeminator24 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:50 pm

I only watched the dub of Shin and I wasn’t too impressed. The script itself didn’t bother me much but the performances all sounded off too me with the exception of Shinji and Asuka. Everybody else sounded like they were just reading from a page instead of acting. I liked John Swasey’s hammy performance as Gendo, although probably for the wrong reasons lol

Ah Q
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ah Q » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:37 pm

I know this is heresy, but I've never been the biggest fan of Tiffany Grant's Asuka.

That said, I think she did a decent job in 3.0+1.0.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:23 pm

View Original PostAh Q wrote:I know this is heresy, but I've never been the biggest fan of Tiffany Grant's Asuka.

That said, I think she did a decent job in 3.0+1.0.

I echo this. I've never really liked Grant's Asuka, but she is amazing in that scene toward the end when Asuka talks about her past.

Ah Q
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ah Q » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:48 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:I echo this. I've never really liked Grant's Asuka, but she is amazing in that scene toward the end when Asuka talks about her past.

Now I'm watching the Amazon dub of 2.0 with Tiffany Grant. Still not a fan of Tiffany's take on Asuka, overall. Never really understood why so many people were losing it when Netflix chose another voice actor.

RebornZombie
Embryo

Re: Amazon Prime English Dub Cast

•      
  •      

Postby RebornZombie » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:27 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:It is worth nothing that AFAIK the audio-swapping was only done with Asuka's dub. But everyone in the dub is holding back and I can't see beyond the circumstances of recording remotely for a reason.

SPOILER: Show
Shinji sobbing on the bridge after chatting with Rei doesn't sound like Spike either.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:59 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The common denominator between all of them is Khara and their perceived clout ever since Shin Godzilla deals were being made between Khara and Toho.

Curious on your sources about this being Godzilla-related? My understanding is that all this drama about the localization started when (due in part to a series of cultural misunderstandings) Anno flipped out at Funimation over 3.33’s dub, made them redo the dub and subs from scratch, and demanded every subsequent official English translation be policed by Dan Kanemitsu for absolute word-for-word “accuracy”. This was a couple years before Shin Godzilla even came out.

It’s a little like what happened with Hideo Kojima after Metal Gear Solid: word got through to him that Jeremy Blaustein had taken liberties with the Japanese script in localizing the PSX version of the game, which led to Kojima firing Blaustein and the Gamecube remake of MGS1 using a completely new translations that’s generally regarded as much drier and more literal than Blaustein’s PSX version script.

Monolingual creators, particularly Japanese ones, have a tendency to be naive about the complexities of translation. Very often they think it just works like Google Translate, where you can punch in a script and get a perfectly “accurate” translation without having to worry about the nuances and ambiguities of context, tone, idiom, and other factors that impact how native speakers of a language actually perceive it. (Michael House, Gainax’s token English-speaking guy prior to Kanemitsu, confirms that this ignorance about translation very much applies to the monolingual Anno.)

Add all of this together and you get Dan Kanemitsu - presumably under direction from Anno - translating Evangelion’s script and backseat-directing the dubbing for “maximum accuracy” like he’s dealing with a series of dry scientific documents. That works out fine for all the military speak and technobabble and lore-blast exposition dumps, but turns out disastrous for the scenes where characters are supposed to be talking like ordinary human beings - which, for Evangelion, are kinda the way more important scenes!!

I honestly don’t know who deserves more blame between him and Anno either, because the way Kanemitsu’s scripts (for both subtitles and dubs) oscillate from stilted word-for-word literalism to highly interpretive bits that are blatantly not the literal meaning of the Japanese (“worthy of my grace” being the most infamous example) or tonally inappropriate American slang and idioms (I will never be okay with Rei Ayanami spontaneously using the phrase “warm and fuzzy” to describe anything, ever) occasionally verges on being so straight-up amateurish it’s like reading a candy-colored fansub from the early 2000s. I think it might just be the case that he’s a dubious translator (at least for scripts and fiction!) receiving dubious direction. His translations are (possibly?? assuming they really are “accurate”) helpful for mechanically clarifying plot points and subtext, but boy are they a savage blow to Eva’s literary appeal as a piece of fiction.

All I can say is, thank god the GKIDS release of the original series is including the Platinum dub and subs.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:41 am

I mean, who'da thunk that the Platinum dub would be included in the mix?

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:47 pm

Well the fact that they reversed course on the dub cast for Amazon was a strong hint that the Netflix dub did not go over well, but the fact that the Amazon translations are still Kanemitsu’d to hell suggests Khara themselves still aren’t fully clear as to why.

My understanding is that Khara owns the rights to all previous dub and subtitle tracks. They requested that Netflix record a new dub for “accuracy”, but it isn’t clear whether they specified that Netflix do so using a new cast or if they simply went along with it. Either way, someone somewhere (possibly at Khara) became aware of the generally negative fan reception to the Netflix dub, thus the Amazon dubs doubled back on not just bringing back the main actors but as much of the ADV/Manga cast as possible, while still retaining the same Kanemitsu-led translation process as every other English-language Eva release since 3.33. Now the GKIDS set includes the ADV/Manga dub and subs, which may or may not have anything to do with the fact that fans have bombarded their social media with requests for the original translations since the moment they announced the BD set. (The fact that they announced upfront on their webpage that they failed to license “Fly Me to the Moon” is also interesting and means they are at least aware of the negative responses to the Netflix release.)

Also holy shit, I just saw the post about Tiffany Grant going off on Kanemitsu. That is pretty nuts, but also pretty plausible given what was already known about his involvement with English translation from 3.33 onwards. I get wanting to preserve a vision but “Third Boy” and “You’re an idiot, aren’t you?” (which is a perfect example of a line that’s technically grammatically correct but definitively worse as spoken English dialogue than the more localized ADV equivalent) sure is an asinine hill to die on.

This also further begs the question of how many of Kanemitsu’s decisions actually come from Anno and how many are his own ideas and interpretations of the text (e.g. “leftist terrorists”, “worthy of my grace”) that he’s just been given a blank check by Anno to enforce? Why are we trusting someone who doesn’t understand or care about the nuances of spoken English to translate a text that’s rife with ambiguity and insinuation?

btw, I don’t know if this is common knowledge but Kanemitsu also translated the official booklets included in Funimation’s Rebuild 1-3 releases. They’re even heavier on stilted ESL-like ultra-literalism, sometimes to the point of being barely coherent, and they debuted the confusing “Third Boy”/“First Girl” terminology even though the Funimation dub and sub scripts didn’t use it.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:00 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:
View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever#929315 wrote:The common denominator between all of them is Khara and their perceived clout ever since Shin Godzilla deals were being made between Khara and Toho.

Curious on your sources about this being Godzilla-related? My understanding is that all this drama about the localization started when (due in part to a series of cultural misunderstandings) Anno flipped out at Funimation over 3.33’s dub, made them redo the dub and subs from scratch, and demanded every subsequent official English translation be policed by Dan Kanemitsu for absolute word-for-word “accuracy”. This was a couple years before Shin Godzilla even came out.

True, true. Honestly, I have no sources for this. (Though, I do know that Toho was offering their Godzilla IP to Anno shortly after 3.0’s release.) My thinking is only that, if the nation’s largest movie studio offered their most popular IP to Anno’s studio, that would be enough for Khara to be a bit more strict about their “p”s and “q”s than they had been. At least, it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s the case.

Unfortunately, a lot of this is gonna be protected by non disclosure agreements, regardless of how it came about. I’ve heard conflicting reports from Khara and Funimation about the exact nature of the original 3.0 dub. (Funi claimed in an industry panel at a convention they they had initiated the delay by reaching out to Khara themselves.) So we’re probably not gonna get any finer details unless somebody spills the beans anonymously.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:15 pm

Somebody has spilled the beans anonymously. Granted, it’s hard to place much trust in an anonymous SomethingAwful poster, but right now it’s the only semi-plausible account out there and the details/timeline add up. This might additionally explain some of the Netflix/Kanemitsu translation’s… unorthodox choices regarding Shinji/Kaworu dialogue.

If you’re curious to see what the first Funimation dub actually was like, there’s about half an hour of camrip footage still out there on Youtube to this day. Spoilers: it really isn’t much different from their handling of the previous two films. It is very plausible that Khara’s freakout was based on a misunderstanding of US audience response to a deliberately polarizing film (and the highly vocal, drunk nature of US con culture.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:35 pm

That post on SA has been partially debunked. There was a showing of the 3.0 dub where people were laughing at Karowu’s lines and someone was present from Khara but it wasn’t in Baltimore.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:59 am

I remember hearing it was at Anime Expo (CA), which is usually the US con where Japanese industry reps show up, but Otakon is big enough that it’s conceivable at least.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:25 pm

I remember it being Otakon where Funi claimed the delay was a result of them reaching out to Khara for accuracy, and not Khara’s displeasure in Funi’s first Q dub. While I find that claim dubious at best, the whole situation just feels weird and came out of nowhere, even to this day. I don’t remember there being any Khara representatives visiting cons or theatrical screening for Jo or Ha, so even the presence of a representative for Q makes me think Khara was expanding their control after completing production of Eva 3.0. Months later, Khara would announce their partnership with Toho to create a Godzilla movie, and I can’t help but think that the two events were linked. The only think that makes me doubt that line of thinking is Funi still being able to license Shin Godzilla, even though their licensing for NTE seems to be expired at this point.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:02 pm

Overall, the performances were great and I really appreciated this new dub. It's really nostalgic revisiting the series again with the same voices but slightly different direction. I'm not able to tell direct differences from the earlier versions but overall, I did not feel disengaged with the mood and momentum of the movies.

I watched the final movie with the Japanese dub first before the English dub and obviously felt a greater resonance with the English dub. However, with my first couple of viewings, I noticed a few inconsistencies during key moments in the film that I felt were a bit off.

There are actually differences in the translations for when kid Shinji says to Kaworu: "let's do this hoping we'd get along" and when Rei said something similar to Shinji when he was depressed and sitting by the ledge. The English interpretation sounds a bit cringy (like a UN diplomat trying to negotiate a peace treaty) and I didn't know they were referring to the act of the handshake when first hearing this. Based on the subtitles and other translations (https://www.arqacrypha.net/post/eva-3-0 ... ation-pt-1), it would have been better translated with: "This is what people do when they want to be friends", or something sweeter since this represents the importance of human interactions and symbols of friendship for those who are in need of it or when reaching out to others. In some translations, it's even "This is a magic trick/spell people use to keep close/build bridges/bind together".

In the English dub, when Shinji is speaking to Asuka on the beach during instrumentality, Shinji says "I liked you too", then very quickly, "goodbye Asuka". She then feels embarrassed and turns away before Shinji states "give my regards to Kensuke". This is actually completely different in the Japanese dub in terms of timing, since Shinji first says "I liked you too", followed by Asuka turning around, then "goodbye Asuka, give my regards to Kensuke". This is a much better send-off and resolution within their relationship, which doesn't feel as though Shinji is immediately telling Asuka "see you later forever, I don't care about your feelings".
Last edited by dzzthink on Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:46 pm

View Original Postdzzthink wrote:When kid Shinji says to Kaworu: "let's do this hoping we'd get along" this is actually a reference to when Rei said something similar to Shinji when he was depressed and sitting by the ledge. However, it sounds a bit cringy (sounds like a UN diplomat negotiating a peace treaty) and I didn't know they were referring to the act of the handshake when first hearing this. Based on the subtitles and other translations (https://www.arqacrypha.net/post/eva-3-0 ... ation-pt-1), it would have been better translated with "This is what people do when they want to be friends", or something sweeter since this represents the importance of human interactions and symbols of friendship for those who are in need of it or when reaching out to others.

Yeah. This is also something that Rei Q learned in Village-3 (from Class Rep).

So, this also represents the kindness Shinji found in Village 3.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:10 pm

Sure would be nice if they could convey the symbolism without resorting to dialogue so artificial and stilted in its target language that it barely even registers as human communication! But then that’s a translation problem, not a dub problem…

Honestly, before accusing Dan Kanemitsu of word-for-word literalism I gotta bring up how jarring and inappropriate it is to see Rei Ayanami use the English idiom “warm and fuzzy” to refer to anything ever. This is present in the subtitles, not just the dub!

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:49 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Honestly, before accusing Dan Kanemitsu of word-for-word literalism I gotta bring up how jarring and inappropriate it is to see Rei Ayanami use the English idiom “warm and fuzzy” to refer to anything ever. This is present in the subtitles, not just the dub!

Well, Rei says "pokapoka", which meaning is "warm and nice". So, it seems close to that.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:43 am

“Warm and fuzzy” is an idiom considered so hackneyed and cloying that it is almost never used unironically by native English speakers.

Funimation translated the same dialogue as “warm inside”, which conveys the intended meaning without the unintentionally comedic phrasing. It’s just another example of what can happen when a translator is linguistically but not culturally fluent in their target language.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:43 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqbRIZGU5yY

Tiffany talking a little about the dubbing.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Amazon Prime's English Dub (General)

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:24 am

Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”