Shin Eva General: Reborn

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Shin Eva General: Reborn

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:53 pm

Zusuchan wrote:BernardoCairo: I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Yeah, I agree. The truth is, we weren't there. So it's impossible to pinpoint what exactly happened during NTE's production. I understand your points, but I'm not backing down from what I said. Honesty, we'll probably never know the "right answer" to this discussion. lol
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

TyroLuuki
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TyroLuuki » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:05 pm

I think Anno's opinion on Gendo has changed radically over the years. He may have disagreed with Tsurumaki's interpretation of Gendo in the past but now, he seems far more sympathetic/apologetic of the character than ever.

In the NHK Professional: Hideaki Anno documentary, there's a clip of Anno outright telling Gendo's VA Tachiki Fumihiko that Gendo is just like him because they're both "lonely people".
Kaworu and Asuka deserved better tbh

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:49 pm

Tachiki seems a bit amused by the idea in the second picture. It's funny how much Tachiki resembles Gendo now, he just needs the beard to go with his very Gendo-esque glasses!

From what I've heard (take this with a big grain of salt), the ageing industrial area that features in Gendo's childhood is from in or near Ube in Yamaguchi Prefecture where Anno was born, and the old train car associated with Gendo is something from the area as well (I have confirmed that myself). It seems - again, seems like Anno is explicitly associating himself with Gendo or at least the lonely, broken aspect of him in NTE.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:08 pm

General reminder that this thread exists and it's perfectly acceptable to talk about your impressions of the movie in here :tongue:
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:55 pm

This movie is over two hours yet Instrumentality feels rushed for some reason? Maybe Shinji shouldn’t have found peace with himself just yet before returning to the Wunder, and instead he also goes through Instrumentality with everyone else? I don’t know, I could be incredibly wrong but to me I feel like there was build up just to have it end immediately after starting.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

aboose
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby aboose » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:33 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:This movie is over two hours yet Instrumentality feels rushed for some reason? Maybe Shinji shouldn’t have found peace with himself just yet before returning to the Wunder, and instead he also goes through Instrumentality with everyone else? I don’t know, I could be incredibly wrong but to me I feel like there was build up just to have it end immediately after starting.

The reason (at least my interpretation) is that Shinji goes through his own form of maturing before instrumentality starts. Unlike the original series which is extremely Shinji focused, NTE focuses on the full characterization of all the cast. That's why you see so much happening with the other characters but Shinji just seems to be in man mode for all of instrumentality. It's because he already went through his character arc in 3.0 and the first half of 3.0+1.0.

leconpeludon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby leconpeludon » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:46 pm

I hate how Rei from 1.0 and 2.0 just shows up as a soul, Shinji barely even acknowledges her, just says give me the control and them bam she's never again seen, no talk whatsoever. While I agree it would be weird to have them talk there with how urgent everything was, it made me feel no closure for her character.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:59 pm

View Original Postleconpeludon wrote:I hate how Rei from 1.0 and 2.0 just shows up as a soul, Shinji barely even acknowledges her, just says give me the control and them bam she's never again seen, no talk whatsoever. While I agree it would be weird to have them talk there with how urgent everything was, it made me feel no closure for her character.

Rei seems to be trapped in the idea of freeing Shinji from the Eva since 2.22. She also has the idea that she couldn't live without the Eva.

At the end, Shinji convinces Rei that she could have a life without the Eva.

aboose
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby aboose » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:45 pm

Yeah not sure how you can say that is no closure when she gets 100x the care that she was given in the original series EoE.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:11 am

View Original Postaboose wrote:The reason (at least my interpretation) is that Shinji goes through his own form of maturing before instrumentality starts. Unlike the original series which is extremely Shinji focused, NTE focuses on the full characterization of all the cast.

I don't know, personally, I get a fuller sense of who Misato, Asuka, and Rei are in their instrumentality scenes in 25 than anything in Shin. I also get more out of Misato's sacrifice in EoE and Asuka's MPE fight. Nothing in Shin's non-Shinji intrumentalities felt very real or penetrating. Perhaps you can say they're merely different sets of characters, but under that lens, NTE's versions come off as stock characters and if their Instrumentalities are conclusive or illustrative, it's also in what seems to me to be a lightly drawn way.
Après moi le déluge!

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:18 am

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:I don't know, personally, I get a fuller sense of who Misato, Asuka, and Rei are in their instrumentality scenes in 25 than anything in Shin.

Honestly, I've never liked episode 25 and 26 regarding Asuka, Rei and Misato, because it abandons their stories in the middle and without resolution to focus on Shinji.

I know it's due to episode and budget limitations, but I still don't like that aspect.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:36 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Honestly, I've never liked episode 25 and 26 regarding Asuka, Rei and Misato, because it abandons their stories in the middle and without resolution to focus on Shinji.

I know it's due to episode and budget limitations, but I still don't like that aspect.

I respect that impression. For me though, I think it worked as a kind of spilling the beans on the inner natures only they're privy to, as in, what deeper parts of yourself you'd blanch at if anyone walked around in your mind. It's not necessarily something that (I think) can be solved like it can in Shin, because I don't believe in discontinuity with the past or true erasure of those things, they linger on even if you can compartmentalize them in healthier ways. When Misato is seemingly back to her old self at the end of 25, a hand on Shinji's shoulder, I don't think that that contradicts that we left off on her experiencing trauma earlier in the episode. I think it's showing she can be both things, and that it switching to Shinji doesn't cut her off from anything. Shin, though, feels like it snubs its characters, I don't get the same dual nature or nuance there. Hikari's line earlier about life being hard times and easier times comes closest, but not that scene, the way she says it, or the Instrumentality scenes give me enough sense that the characters aren't just transformed and everything will be 100% good now.
Après moi le déluge!

leconpeludon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby leconpeludon » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:01 am

Who is it that pilots evangelion 13 when Asuka is trying to seal it?

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:18 am

View Original Postleconpeludon wrote:Who is it that pilots evangelion 13 when Asuka is trying to seal it?

Apparently it is original Asuka and Kaworu

Not original original Asuka but the original clone
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:42 am

View Original Postleconpeludon wrote:Who is it that pilots evangelion 13 when Asuka is trying to seal it?

The souless body of Kaworu is the "pilot" (it's like a dummy plug) of Eva-13 according to Yamashita.

If you're asking for original Asuka, that's pretty confusing. However, she seems to be a soul, so she couldn't be a pilot.
Last edited by Konja7 on Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Belllerophon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Belllerophon » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:07 am

Oh, I'm probably late to this, but LCL stands for L-Containment Liquid in the rebuild, doesn't it. (And Core is probably technically L-Containment Solid, since it seems like LCL and Core are the same substance in different states)

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:30 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Apparently it is original Asuka and Kaworu

Not original original Asuka but the original clone

According to Yamashita, the souless body of Kaworu is the "pilot" (it's like a dummy plug) of Eva-13.

I don't think Original Asuka is another pilot. She seems to be a soul (I suspect Original Asuka was originally inside Eva-02).

Eva-13 doesn't need two pilots to move. Eva-13 was created with a two entry system, because it would need two souls to use the Spear of Longinus and the Spear of Cassius in Q.

The current plan of Gendo for these Spears is different (it included Eva-01), so he wouldn't need two pilots for Eva-13.

Belllerophon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Belllerophon » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:49 am

Huh: it looks like the Seed Capsules generate their propulsion via little red cores that produce AT halos. And they're still there after Shinji wipes away all Evangelion stuff on Earth and Moon.

OH WELL I'M SURE IT'LL BE FINE.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”