Shin Evangelion theatrical pamphlet translation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Shin Evangelion theatrical pamphlet translation

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:36 pm

Can someone link to a transcription of the cast and crew interviews in the theatre booklet when translated please :)

Thank you

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Shin Evangelion theatrical pamphlet translation

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:55 am

Since I haven't seen it I'm going to post my translation from the theatrical pamphlet of Anno's message at the beginning?

What were we trying to make three times?

It has been 11 years since we started pre-production,
We spent four years from the start of full-scale pre-production, spent a huge amount of production costs, and packed as much fun as possible devoted to various sensory and technical frames of an animated film.

The fun of design.
The fun of movie composition.
The fun of hand drawn images and motion.
The fun of 3DCG movies and motion.
The fun of color.
The fun of background art.
The fun of photography.
The fun of storyboarding. (The fun of splitting cuts)(カット割)
The fun of changing cuts. (カット代わり)
The fun of editing.
The fun of voice acting.
The fun of music and sound effects.
The fun of acoustic arrangement and balance.
The fun of directing to integrate these things.

In addition, the fun of adopting the sensation and technique of the special effects I was trying to do around Eva: Jo.

Also, I always searched for what was best for the work so that it would be interesting as a movie, that is, the script and story would be even a little interesting, and I've spent all my sensibilities, skills, and experience until the last minute.

As a result, this work is finished.

To all members of the audience, if you enjoy the fun, charm and comfort of animated films as entertainment even a little and are satisfied, I will be happy.

Finally, I would like to thank all the staff, cast, fans who led the work of Evangelion to completion three times, and my wife who continued to support the work and me both publicly and privately.

Thank you.

Original work, script writer, executive director, Hideaki Anno

Translators Note: I translate 面白さ as the fun of it could also be translated as interest or interest in.

EDIT
I think this note from Anno-sensei really speaks to the theatrical experience, conveying emotion, and what it is in terms of the current state of animation. The credits of the movie alone took two full songs! So this was really his labor of love.
Last edited by Pluto on Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, the clock is ticking out

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:02 am

Thank you Pluto.

I have purchased the pamphlet for a decent price only like £30 and it arrives like within 2 weeks but I need to find someone to translate the interviews etc. So if you see any full translations please hollah

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:38 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:Thank you Pluto.

I have purchased the pamphlet for a decent price only like £30 and it arrives like within 2 weeks but I need to find someone to translate the interviews etc. So if you see any full translations please hollah

Most of the interviews are with the VAs and there are two at the end with the other directors (not Anno). I've skimmed through a bunch of them but they don't seem to give anything away via the plot/lore but I haven't delved into the interviews too deeply. Mostly the voice actors are just expressing their thanks, feelings, and experiences on working on evangelion over this long time.

The first interview with Maeda is kinda interesting because he talks about how Anno made him be the director while the interview with Tsurumaki seems to focus on more of the technical aspects of movie making.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:19 am

Yeah I guessed that im still interested in the interviews either way.

It does look like Anno basically took the role that was like basically the final say guy. The others did their role when to Anno and said is this ok and he either went not bad or no do this

kuro hazama
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby kuro hazama » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:04 am

I saw a pictures of the hayashibara interview and if I recall correctly she says the secret phrase anno told her about Rei in Q when she asked him about the various reis was "there are no various Rei, there is only Rei Ayanami" I have to check back but I didnt save It, bought the pamph anyways, getting It in a couple days
the eva team

gendo team brains/pimpface
ritsuko team cyborg
Misato team berserker
aoba team undead
hyuga team psycho
ibuki psycho stalker

fuyu team badass

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:21 am

This is naturally a very high priority now. Nuclear Lunchbox mentioned he'd take a look at them.

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:15 am

Even though the photo quality isn't too good and I'm not good at photography, I've uploaded the pamphlet to a google drive link PM me if you're interested in it :wink:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:12 am

There are reputedly more of these in the depths of /cm/

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Quoting from the chans, a translation of the Akira Ishida interview in the pamphlet

>Akira Ishida

>-What were your initial thoughts when you first read the script?
Ishida: "You did well to finally make it this far, Shinji-kun" and "Thank you for your hard work all this time, Kaworu".
>-Were there any especially strong memories you had recording for Eva since your first appearance in episode 24 of the TV series up to now?
Ishida: Doing voice work for :Q was the most impactful for me. I would have to record scenes over and over until I was sweating and shivering before takes were OK'd. Having Ogata-san there
with me in the studio really saved me mentally.
>-Was it hard to play such a mysterious character like Kaworu? You had to say a lot of complex/abstract things.
Ishida: I could never quite get used to having to say such profound lines all the time, so
it's not as if I can say that was something I had no trouble with at all. But when I was given lines
I couldn't understand the meaning to, I would ask (the staff) what they meant. I wasn't left in the dark to figure out his character by myself.
>-Kaworu has remained an extremely popular character since his initial appearance in episode 24 of the TV Series, and he has had many fans throughout the generations. Why do you think that is?
Ishida: It really is a puzzling thing, I'm not sure why myself. Because he leaves such an unforgettable/lasting impression as a character, perhaps? Or maybe a more simple reason is it's
because he's a handsome young man.
Though if I think about it a bit more seriously, it's because from Shinji/the audience's perspective,
he is straightforward and kind. He plays an affirmative/supporting role in Shinji's life, so I think that's why so many people took a liking to him.
>-How do you personally interpret the new information we learn about Kaworu in Shin?
Ishida: There's not much in the way of interpretation I can add here.
Though I was pleased with the skillful way the name "Nagisa" was explained in the movie.
I always thought the Nagisa in his name was linked to the subtitle of episode 24 in the TV series, "The Final Messenger". To think from the very beginning there was always another nuance to his name...I find it amazing they waited to reveal this information from us all this time up to now.
>-With Shin concluding this 4-part Rebuild series, what are your final thoughts on the story in its entirety?
Ishida: I don't think there's anyone out there that denies we live our lives by steadily and naturally growing. In the first place, it's because we hardly realize we're changing bit by bit that we're able to live such peaceful lives. Though I personally can very much relate to those who have doubts about the rightness in the decisions they make and having immediate negative reactions to any spontaneous changes that might occur in their lives.
At the very least, it made me aware I'm an ultraconservative person.

Akira Ishida
Born in Aichi Prefecture. Leading roles include
"Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu" (Yakumo Yuurakutei the 8th/Kikuhiko),
"Mobile Suit Gundam SEED / Gundam SEED DESTINY" (Athrun Zala),
"Gintama" (Kotaro Katsura)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:39 am

Sounds like Anno when all Kubrick on her if she had to do take after after until she was sweating and shivering

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:43 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:Sounds like Anno when all Kubrick on her if she had to
Ishida's a dude, dude.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:16 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:There are reputedly more of these in the depths of /cm/

Would love to read more if you could find them!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:06 pm

From /cm/

Fumihiko Tachiki (Voice of Gendoh Ikari)

No matter how many times I thought it over, I just couldn't understand it.

-What were your initial thoughts when you first read the script?

Tachiki: When I first read it I was really shocked, even more than I was with :Q.
Even from the very first scene, Shin felt completely different to me compared to the story up until now. When I was given the script, I had to go over my lines while watching the unfinished visuals from the VTR, so they sped me through the A part of the film. Yet no matter how many times I thought it over in my head, I just couldn't understand it. Despite being a movie in the Rebuild series, Shin feels so foreign from the prior three films - it really took me aback. Of course, it's a clear continuation of the story. But as someone who has been part of this franchise since the TV series, it just didn't feel like "Eva" to me… In a sense, I guess you can say it's a work that betrays the fans in a good way.

-What was it like working on this film as a voice actor?

Tachiki: In order to properly perform the role, I had to mentally prepare myself to “become the character” as they are within the story. I feel like Eva is the one and only work where I’ve had to really do that as a voice actor. It’s not enough to merely just voice the character, I had to completely immerse myself into the story and the role - that’s what made working on Eva so unique.

-How did it feel to perform in the recording studio?

Tachiki: My first recording sessions were just doing dialogue with Fuyutsuki. Since I was recording with someone older like Fuyutsuki’s seiyuu, I felt like I could relax a bit more. It’s probably thanks to that I could see in what direction to take my performance from then on. Gendo’s scenes here were just part of the prologue, after all.

-And then, Gendo gets a much larger part in the second half of the film.

Tachiki: I was told in advance his role here would be a culmination of everything from the TV series up to now; that I’d be voicing lines totally unlike anything he’s said before. I knew I had to draw out that culmination as his voice actor, if I didn’t lay Gendo’s heart out completely bare for the audience it wouldn’t be believable. But when I actually read this part of the script for myself, I was surprised. This is the scene where Shinji finally talks with Gendo, who has remained a static character up to this point. I thought they would ask me to voice him emotionally, as if he’s become a completely different person. Instead, I was instructed to voice him naturally. No passion, no tension - just to speak completely naturally.

-Is that what you meant by Shin’s story feeling foreign to you?

Tachiki: Yes, exactly. Just by seeing the visuals I could immediately sense this was a Gendo completely unlike the Gendo we’ve seen up until now, that’s what made acting out the scene so difficult. I’ve voiced Gendo for such a long time, so I figured it'd turn out alright if I just voiced him as usual. With each take, they’d give me feedback to change the emotion of my delivery or explain the scene’s situation a bit more, and we kept at it like that until the take got OK’d.

-When you say you had to lay Gendo’s heart out to bare, does that mean up until now you were voicing him as if he was hiding those feelings?

Tachiki: Up until now I wasn’t really given a concrete answer on whatever Gendo is feeling, so I felt he was hiding behind his words. I was made aware of that especially for the Rebuild movies, so I mostly voiced him to give off the impression he’s not revealing his true nature. However this time around he has moments where he finally reveals himself - or rather, he can’t help but reveal his true self.

Up until now he’s said nothing implicative in his lines, though there were plenty of times where you could feel there was something more to him - like when he talks to Shinji as a “parent”. In Shin, he makes no attempt to hide himself anymore. In his moment of weakness, Gendo talks with Shinji but his presence as his son is gone. Rather, it feels like Gendo is talking to himself - he’s finally confronting himself.

-Did you notice any changes in Megumi Ogata’s performance as Shinji?

Tachiki: I did. Her performance had a very “Adult-like” feeling to it. Gendo speaks haughtily, he’s already an adult - yet when Shinji approaches him in this spiritual world, it’s as if his son has already caught up and surpassed him. This scene where they talk with each other really gives off that impression.

-Gendo’s past reveals his strong parental love for Shinji, but the son is the one who grows closer to the father in the end.

Tachiki: We’ve seen small buds of Gendo’s parental love in :Ha and :Q, but it turns out his son has already grown far past the need for that. Being able to clearly see the stages in his development really surprised me. It’s perfect timing that he’s developed to such an extent by the time in the story where he confronts his father, which happens just a little bit before the last scene of the film. Personally, I really love the way the story progresses to the last scene of Shin. I felt a whirlwind of emotions even when I was just reading it in the script, it was heart-wrenching enough to make me want to cry. Out of all the “last scenes” Eva has had up to now, this is by far my favorite one. It doesn’t explain everything, so I think allowing the audience to come to their own conclusions is good. Since this is the story’s conclusion, I thought Gendo really ought to take responsibility for his mistakes, so I feel it turned out to be a very orthodox climax in that regard.

-And when Gendo finally reveals everything, what we find out is…

Tachiki: Gendo truly had no one else but Yui, that is laid out clearly and vividly in his dialogue. We knew she was precious to him to some extent from the very beginning of the story, but to think she meant this much to him… As soon as he starts to talk about Yui, he starts bawling. I had to physically raise my voice the most and go all out when recording these lines. It took me a few tries, but I didn’t have to go through too many takes until my performance was OK’d. However the part where I had to cry out Yui’s name was definitely the hardest to get right. I was instructed to put all of Gendo’s emotions and feelings into calling out her name. Actually, I had to record this line so many times my throat started to feel sore, which is pretty rare for me. My throat has always been fairly strong, I had never felt it go sore like that when recording before. I feel like I had to talk a lot more this time around than in the TV Series and previous Rebuild movies. But what was most exciting was getting to act my heart out; putting my entire body and soul into my performance. It really felt like I had become one with Gendo as a character! Drawing out emotions I didn’t even know I had with just the right amount of energy...I feel like I put my entire being into it.
I’ve always wanted to pilot an Eva, at least once.

-Gendo finally has a scene where he himself pilots and fights in an Eva. I’m sure the audience will be quite surprised when they see that, but how did you initially react to it?

Tachiki: Voicing Gendo here was such an epoch-making experience for me, I'll never forget it as long as I live. I had always wanted to try piloting the Eva, at least once (lol). I even got to voice the Eva’s roars and howls. I was perplexed, but also overjoyed that I finally got to have the same experience the other voice actors did. It only took 2-3 tries in recording before the director OK’d my take. I was really looking forward to seeing this part in the theater, so I begged them not to cut it from the movie (lol). I had no idea how they were going to use it in the final version of the film, though.

-Do you feel Gendo’s character was concluded in this movie?

Tachiki: Yeah, I really think so. I’m really thankful about that. After I finished recording the scenes I had the most trouble with, Anno-san told me “I’m really glad you were the one to voice Gendo, Tachiki-san.” I was overwhelmed to hear him say that. Just thinking back on it makes me emotional. I’ve played a lot of different roles over the years, but I’d never really been told something like that up to now - it made me so incredibly happy. I feel like there’s a lot of parts of Anno-san reflected in Gendo, so I think that’s why I was filled with so much emotion hearing those words from Anno-san after I finished recording. I’m glad I was able to put my whole soul into voicing the role of Gendo.

Fumihiko Tachiki
Born in Nagasaki Prefecture. Leading roles in “Tales of Symphonia THE ANIMATION” (Kratos Aurion), “Gintama” (Hasegawa Taizou), and miscellaneous narration/multicasting.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X94 ... sp=sharing

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:37 pm

I generally enjoyed Tachiki's interviews, he tends to have an interesting sorta intellectual perspective about things.

He's right in saying that Rebuild Gendo has been super duper opaque before this.

And now he "stars bawling", hm? That's one scene I'm rly looking forward to see in full. It can really only be interesting. Everything about this suggests that it's gonna be a super interesting performance.

THX as always for translating!!
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:51 pm

I remember talking to a friend right after he finished Evangelion for the first time. He told me that, while watching episode 18, he thought that Gendo would tire of Shinji's inert attitude and pilot Unit 01 on his own. We both laugh at how absurd that idea truly was. That said, Gendo is awesome. So, to see him piloting an EVA would be insanely cool! It's nice to see that Tachiki was in the same page hahaha!
Anyway, that was a great interview! Pretty funny and insightful!
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:25 pm

I even got to voice the Eva’s roars and howls.

Wow, that's meta as frak! Sasuga, Anno.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:28 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:
I even got to voice the Eva’s roars and howls.

Wow, that's meta as frak! Sasuga, Anno.

There was the precedent of Hayashibara doing EVA 01's roaring tho.

"And here are my parents, two cyborg monstrosities over there~ ...maybe I should've introduced you to Misato & Kaji instead."
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:49 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:From /cm/

Wow, this interview was really interesting to read! Thank you for posting.

Fumihiko Tachiki (Voice of Gendo Ikari)

No matter how many times I thought it over, I just couldn't understand it.

As soon as he starts to talk about Yui, he starts bawling. I had to physically raise my voice the most and go all out when recording these lines. It took me a few tries, but I didn’t have to go through too many takes until my performance was OK’d. However the part where I had to cry out Yui’s name was definitely the hardest to get right. I was instructed to put all of Gendo’s emotions and feelings into calling out her name. Actually, I had to record this line so many times my throat started to feel sore, which is pretty rare for me. My throat has always been fairly strong, I had never felt it go sore like that when recording before. I feel like I had to talk a lot more this time around than in the TV Series and previous Rebuild movies. But what was most exciting was getting to act my heart out; putting my entire body and soul into my performance. It really felt like I had become one with Gendo as a character! Drawing out emotions I didn’t even know I had with just the right amount of energy...I feel like I put my entire being into it.
I’ve always wanted to pilot an Eva, at least once.

Yeah this is a really powerful scene when he cries out to Yui.

I feel like there’s a lot of parts of Anno-san reflected in Gendo, so I think that’s why I was filled with so much emotion hearing those words from Anno-san after I finished recording. I’m glad I was able to put my whole soul into voicing the role of Gendo.

This is an "Ah-Ha" moment for me here. Now, I can see what my friend said when she mentioned that she saw Anno in Gendo during these scenes.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:02 pm

Thanks for bringing this to us, Tines! It's an interesting interview, indeed, especially with the talk about Gendo's strong parental love and his being partially based on Anno himself.

Pluto, can/would you say this is a good enough of a translation as to be put up on the Wiki? I'm just asking to be certain.

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:38 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:Thanks for bringing this to us, Tines! It's an interesting interview, indeed, especially with the talk about Gendo's strong parental love and his being partially based on Anno himself.

Pluto, can/would you say this is a good enough of a translation as to be put up on the Wiki? I'm just asking to be certain.

Absolutely, this reads like the work of a pro

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”