3.0 + 1.0 Reactions

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Dragon Mask
Lilith

Re: 3.0 + 1.0 Reactions

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:04 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Unfortunately, this also depends on your belief about this topic. There is still many people who think "cry" won't help at all.

The story associates "cry" with an act that not help other people (only oneself). That's why Shinji won't cry.

It fits the "help others" topic in the movie.

Yeah it seems that's the idea. But it's a kind of a one dimensional perspective on sadness/crying, which is disappointing since the original series endings accepted joy and sorrow and the reality of facing both. I suppose Shinji said he still feels sadness, but will put it into action instead of expressing it. But it seems off, and more relevantly it still seems like he changes without a revelation.

It's almost as though the movie is skipping over that part since EoTV and EoE already did them and Anno felt it would be repetitive to explore those feelings again. However I feel very strongly that it is precisely because 3+1 aims to convey such a more positive ending, that Anno should have explored this at least as thoroughly as before.

In theory one could say that Shinji "downloaded" his psychological changes from EoTV and EoE after entering the anti-universe, but even I, someone who thinks it explicitly connects to NGE, that's a very nonsensical and unsatisfying way to solve the problem off screen.

It seems like especially odd 3+1 skips out on the chance to explore Shinji thoroughly because 3.0 sacrificed so much to focus almost solely on Shinji and imo that worked very well. Rebuild has in general focused more closely on Shinji, so it's so strange that 3+1 skips over the most important step (revelation).

It feels like Anno didn't want to explore Shinji anymore and instead wanted to just write him as happier and more balanced because people were nice to him. It covers recovery through external reassurance/extrinsic change but not the personal/intrinsic change that sparks a revelation that can lead to Shinji's resolution.

I think Anno's sentiment with this movie is nice, but it misses so many opportunities to convey it better.

Luigi shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Luigi shinji » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:38 pm

Ok, may be because I personaly don't like wholesome stuff but am I the only one didn't like the village section?
I had to stop the movie and listen some prodigy to keep myself tensioned. I can't help but found ReiQ legit autistic, like I get that she is a emotionless robot learning emotion but got annoye with her allways asking what is this very obvious thing (atleast they should make a selfawer joke with it like ReiQ see the baby getting feed from Hikari's boob and Rei ask "what is a nipple?")

As for the rest of the movie:

I guess it was pretty obvious that whole point of this rebuild project is to make an ending to the people who can't accept EOE as the final conclusion to our beloved characters fate, so I actually expected that the movie is go for a happy ending. I was actually surprised how much was it the case when I heared the news about the film when it came out in Japan.

Now after seeing it I have to say that this film feels kinda messy and rushed to me. I wasn't against the idea of happy evangelion but here the movie just goes full meta in the last third and what I got from it is that Anno saying: "ok now heres your fucking happy ending, now leave me alone, I just want to bang my wife and enjoying my favourite tokusatsu films".

It feels like the problems just getting solved by themself. For example I really like the concept that Shinji getting confronted with Gendo but its basicly Gendo just telling Shinji how bad was for him and Shinji not even say anything (or I just can't remember it) and their conflict is just over now.

As to be positive I really didn't mined that Shinji didn't ended up with Asuka. their relationship was the definition of toxic relationship so I think it better for both of them to go different ways.

Anyway sorry if this was incoherent but I still figuring out how can I put my thoughts into words properly.

I don't hate this movie, I can understand why Anno would felt the need to make it but I think he but I think EOE is the high point of the EVA brand and the rebuilds just didn't have the same impact.

Now what I would like to know now what was the over all narrative around EOE befor the rebuilds get annouced.

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:13 am

View Original PostThe Dragon Mask wrote:Basically, my only big issue is that Shinji comes off as having gotten over his issues much too simply, and I would have preferred the movie at least show us more of his emotional journey.

It feels like we missed at least Act 2 of Shinji's development.

I can see this as a legitimate observation. I know there's a lot of folks out there who aren't completely on board with the final film but are still fans overall and I think this is a good thing for discourse. I remember a lot of people jumping ship [esp on this forum] in the Q days.

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Unfortunately, this also depends on your belief about this topic. There is still many people who think "cry" won't help at all.

Even though the translation is literal, I thought this line was really strange in the English version. There were a lot of weird lines that were correct in direct translation but totally missed the mark in context.

Given that, I'm surprised that so many people haven't gone into the theme of growing up. I remember walking out of the cinema after the debut and the collective crowd, we felt, "ah, yes. it's time to grow up now. We've grown up, gotten a job, have families now, and now Shinji has grown up too." This is such a strong narrative theme. I'm really surprised how few people have commented or made the observation and instead focused on things that aren't necessarily germane to the themes and plot. Certainly, I know that eva in and of itself is somewhat of a rorschach test so many of the points that have been brought up from the English-speaking community have been wholly unique, unexpected, and novel. As a result, we'll definitely have something to chew on for the foreseeable future.
Oh, the clock is ticking out

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:43 am

Maybe because “growing up” is so explicitly stated to be the theme of the movie - like not even subtext, more like supertext - that it’s not even interesting to discuss? It’s cut-and-dry; what’s there to talk about?

(Not trying to be facetious here, but I do think these are probably the reasons why!)

Would be curious to hear from more bilingual viewers about instances of dialogue whose context and meaning got butchered by the “word for word at all costs” Kanemitsu philosophy. Sucks that unlike all previous Eva releases, this one will likely never get an official non-Kanemitsu translation to reference.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Luigi shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Luigi shinji » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:18 am

SPOILER: Show
View Original PostPluto wrote:
View Original PostThe Dragon Mask#930222 wrote:Basically, my only big issue is that Shinji comes off as having gotten over his issues much too simply, and I would have preferred the movie at least show us more of his emotional journey.

It feels like we missed at least Act 2 of Shinji's development.

I can see this as a legitimate observation. I know there's a lot of folks out there who aren't completely on board with the final film but are still fans overall and I think this is a good thing for discourse. I remember a lot of people jumping ship [esp on this forum] in the Q days.

View Original PostKonja7#930224 wrote:Unfortunately, this also depends on your belief about this topic. There is still many people who think "cry" won't help at all.

Even though the translation is literal, I thought this line was really strange in the English version. There were a lot of weird lines that were correct in direct translation but totally missed the mark in context.

Given that, I'm surprised that so many people haven't gone into the theme of growing up. I remember walking out of the cinema after the debut and the collective crowd, we felt, "ah, yes. it's time to grow up now. We've grown up, gotten a job, have families now, and now Shinji has grown up too." This is such a strong narrative theme. I'm really surprised how few people have commented or made the observation and instead focused on things that aren't necessarily germane to the themes and plot. Certainly, I know that eva in and of itself is somewhat of a rorschach test so many of the points that have been brought up from the English-speaking community have been wholly unique, unexpected, and novel. As a result, we'll definitely have something to chew on for the foreseeable future.

If I have to guess may be because it didn't tell it in an interesting way I mean its literaly the last 1/3 of the movie is just goes 4th wall and telling you straith

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”