3.0 + 1.0 Reactions

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Re: 3.0 + 1.0 Reactions

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:15 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I couldn't help but spot the plug for Moyoco's writing -- keeping it in the family, there, eh, Hideaki?

There was also a poster for her Sugar Sugar Rune series, also in the library.
Après moi le déluge!

Caroline L.S.
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Caroline L.S. » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:50 am

The Movie was a mess, worse than the rise of Skywalker. Sure Anno tried to push some worldviews and lecture to audience, but sacrificed everything else in the process. It might be unpopular and I might be in the minority... The movie was clumsy. It was bad and contrived. All the cerebral aspects of the original missing and the CG... Ohh god the CG when the fought in the city.... It makes me miss the hand drawn animation. Comparing this to the EoE it makes me weep. Instead of Rebuild it should be called Dismantle of Evangelion. What happened to the show dont tell? Rly Anno? Rly?....

One Final Insult here...
SPOILER: Show

Sorry but this was my opinion. It might change after few more viewings when I piece this steaming pile together but I doubt it.
SPOILER: Show

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:55 am

First 3/4: Wow, this is surprisingly straight forward. I expected this to be a lot more bizarre and avant-grade and unravel traditional storytelling.

Last 1/4: the prophecy is true

Oh, and I was right. Asuka was a clone. I missed the mark on Mari, though. I guess we’ll never know what she is.

Unless I was right about that and she really is a chaotic Metaphysical Prisoner who isn’t supposed to be there and thus possesses free action.

Caroline L.S.
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Caroline L.S. » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:05 am

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:Oh, and I was right. Asuka was a clone. I missed the mark on Mari, though. I guess we’ll never know what she is.

Unless I was right about that and she really is a chaotic Metaphysical Prisoner who isn’t supposed to be there and thus possesses free action.

Mari is Moyoco Anno inserted into the show to say all the NGE fans to hell with you my waifu is real...

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:09 am

I can’t wait for the next ten years of speculation as to why she’s Mari Iscariot when Anno just picked that because it sounds complicated.

Obviously Mari is the true Lilith. In this essay I will,

*edit*

Also I’m trying not to wake up the family laughing because Anno wrote a goddamn fan fiction of his own series, including some Peggy Sue action, a manic pixie dream girl, an epic confrontation between Shinji and Gendo, and a fuck ton of fan service. The emotional kind and not the sexy kind. Though there was some that.

Anno be like hey y’all, thanks for sticking around, here’s some Asuka underboob but she’s full grown now so don’t feel so weird about it.
Last edited by Natalie the Cat on Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Caroline L.S.
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Caroline L.S. » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:14 am

Because of this... Anno betrayed the franchise for 30 silver coins (milions of yen in revenue) made by rebuilds therefore he is Judas as for Mari... see post above.

Bible/Judas Iscariot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_Iscariot

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:17 am

He seriously picked it because it sounds complicated, or just biblical.

The religious stuff in Evangelion is exactly the same as when some Saturday morning cartoon picks a bunch of stuff from Egyptian mythology or whatever because they need something exotic. You can use it as a basis to spin whatever meaning you want.

There used to be some person around here who was really good at spinning out elaborate occult interpretations of Evangelion. I think his name was Charleston or something.

EvaPenguin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaPenguin » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:26 am

Quite frankly, I'm blown away. This is everything I wanted in a Rebuild film, and this really does feel like what Anno has been building up to for the past fourteen years. Though it's not his best film - EoE and Love & Pop are more tightly constructed - this is a close third, and his most indulgent and ambitious to date.

Where do I even start? I could gush about this film all day. I loved the usage of CGI in this. Anno has always been a visually inventive filmmaker, and he did things with digital effects and CG in this movie that I've never seen done before. The cinematography was also stunning, in no small part due to the motion capture footage and pre-vis 3D renders that were created during production, allowing some really unique angles! It also warms my heart to know that they did their CG work inside of Blender, a free and open-source 3D animation program.

The metafictional aspect was wonderful, and it's an incredibly fitting ending to acknowledge the massive legacy of your franchise while tatking care to leave the original work untouched and avoid reliance on nostalgia alone for the conclusion. So many reboots have messed this up. Also, the first 40 minutes of this film are amazing! It gives the audience the slow, purposeful character development that has been so lacking with the previous entries in the tetralogy. In fact, I'll say that this film blows all three previous films out of the water. Up until this point, I've been very skeptical about the Rebuilds and their artistic merits, but this is a completely different beast, and you can really see how much Anno has changed in six years.

This movie is unbelievably dense and years down the road people will still be picking it apart. For now though, what has stayed with me the most is the final shot: the first time, to my knowledge, that Anno has seamlessly merged animation with live action video onto a single frame. We see Mari and Shinji, animated, admist a crowd of people, walking boldly towards the future. And as the camera pans, we see where they are - it's the city of Ube, Hideaki Anno's birthplace and home town.

Does this movie jump the shark a few things? Yes. Does it have some structural problems? Absolutely. Is it still a beautiful swansong for Evangelion and an artistic triumph? Hell yes. Congratulations Anno!

Edit: Did I forget to mention that Shiro Sagisu did a choral arrangement of the best track from the Kare Kano OST for this film, and it's beautiful? I'd give this film a 10/10 for that alone.

Registration2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration2 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:28 am

Maria Iscariot for me is her reserarcher name, her real name, MMI is her fake name. So just take her name Maria, adapt it a bit to Mari, put the clone type nami there and use a pun, and bam, fake identity.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:29 am

I think this movie is going to confuse people the way David Lynch did when he made Straight Story.

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:31 am

This movie was so bad that I'm 1 atom away from no longer being an Evangelion fan.

The entire movie for the most part was the equivalent of a kid smashing two toys together in repeat for two hours.

Misato's death was pointless. Everything was pointless.

The worst part is that new fans to the series will see this first and not bother with NGE and EoE and that's the part that hurts the most.

Furthermore, the animation was laughingly bad.
Last edited by deeRez on Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
In and of itself, self-evident.

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:57 am

View Original PostEvaPenguin wrote:Quite frankly, I'm blown away. This is everything I wanted in a Rebuild film, and this really does feel like what Anno has been building up to for the past fourteen years. Though it's not his best film - EoE and Love & Pop are more tightly constructed - this is a close third, and his most indulgent and ambitious to date.

Does this movie jump the shark a few things? Yes. Does it have some structural problems? Absolutely. Is it still a beautiful swansong for Evangelion and an artistic triumph? Hell yes. Congratulations Anno!

Yeah, I think it's an important thing to keep in mind hat Anno was able to "land the plane" so to say. We finally have closure and answers to everything that's been building up in the series.
Oh, the clock is ticking out

Registration2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration2 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:05 am

View Original PostPluto wrote:We finally have closure and answers to everything that's been building up in the series.

Pretty sure we don't, at least not for me.

Caroline L.S.
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Caroline L.S. » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:16 am

View Original PostdeeRez wrote:This movie was so bad that I'm 1 atom away from no longer being an Evangelion fan.

The entire movie for the most part was the equivalent of a kid smashing two toys together in repeat for two hours.

Misato's death was pointless. Everything was pointless.

The worst part is that new fans to the series will see this first and not bother with NGE and EoE and that's the part that hurts the most.

Furthermore, the animation was laughingly bad.

Yeah, pretty much this. I feel like this cheapens the whole NGE universe in a way. That is why I view this as a shameless cash grab. I guess Anno is not the genius we all thought he was. Huge part of the success of the original NGE was probably due to the staff at Gainax. Every creator needs a feedback or they will get stuck in a loop of their own imagination and produce this... The George Lucas effect is strong in this one.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:18 am

This movie makes it even more clear how dependent the things that most distinguished the original Evangelion were upon the specific context and mental state Anno was in when he made it. He just isn't that guy anymore.
The escalating super robot action was much more convincing to me than the psychological introspection of the climax. Sure, it was nonsensical, but I never got the sense Anno wanted it to be more than rule of cool absurdity. On the other hand, the instrumentality scenes cheapen everyone's struggles by rushing so quickly to their moments of cathartic breakthrough.
NGE and EOE were clearly the products of a mind in the midst of a very real struggle. There was a questioning of the worth of continuing living, and an acknowledgement that there were no easy answers and no quick recoveries that made the expression of hope all the more powerful. Some saw misanthropy in it but I saw a very deep empathy for people in pain.
In 3.0 + 1.0, no character seems to have been considered on any real level of depth. The scenes of psychological exploration seem to be there out of obligation, as they were such a big part of the original show's identity. As in 3.0, there's a sense of wanting to get things over and done with when it comes to character development, let alone internal excavation. A psychedelic therapy tour could never be a satisfying resolution to the whole endeavour, and while sometimes visually spectacular, these scenes appear to have had a fraction of the thought that was put into EoTV and EoE.
I think Anno honestly just wants to make fun sci-fi now, and that's fine. I wish he had stuck to that.

Years ago I remember someone saying, in a discussion about the way that Eva subverts expectations, that the conventional and expected way to wrap up the show would be that Shinji 'mans up', becomes a big hero, fights his dad in a mecha battle, and gets the girl. It's funny that that exact scenario has come to pass and people are happy about it. I'm not saying that this route can't be well executed and satisfying storytelling, but it's so counter to the spirit of what the original work was doing and what made it stand out. I hate that this is going to be seen by many as the 'true ending', as if the problem of Eva's risky and unconventional storytelling has finally been solved.
Last edited by Chrad on Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:21 am

People: Shinji is never going to get back in the robot, beat up his dad, and save the girl. Anno would never do that. He subverts expectations.

Anno: I will now proceed to do the thing I purportedly will never do, thus subverting expectations.

People: No not like that

Registration2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration2 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:28 am

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:People: Shinji is never going to get back in the robot, beat up his dad, and save the girl. Anno would never do that. He subverts expectations.

Anno: I will now proceed to do the thing I purportedly will never do, thus subverting expectations.

Sadamoto did it, praise Sadaeva. And he still practically gave almost the same background to without any connection to the movies.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:28 am

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:People: Shinji is never going to get back in the robot, beat up his dad, and save the girl. Anno would never do that. He subverts expectations.

I don't think it's so surprising that people who enjoyed the story going against the grain of conventional heroic storytelling wouldn't enjoy a big budget summer blockbuster version that follows every cliche in the book. We didn't like the subversion just for the hell of it.

Gendo's Glasses
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo's Glasses » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:05 am

The usage of the name Iscariot reflects that while Mari was a contemporary of Yui, Gendo, and Fuyutsuki, she 'betrayed' them and did something else. What that is, precisely, appears to be unclear. But I think it's important that she appears to be serving the UN IPEA in 2.22 and acting against NERV.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:14 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:So I watched it but was quite detached through the whole thing

Have you watched the preceding films now, or are you still relying on your reading of the discussions of those who have done to set the scene for the last film?

I cannot imaging having the mindset to fully appreciate this film without having watched the earlier films (especially 3.33) for myself.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”