Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:31 am

Will this vinyl have the same tracks as the Rei one? :huh:

Also, an international contest is open

EVANGELION General Playlist Election
Source: EVA-EXTRA app - Official English translation

This project aims to commemorate the premiere of the newest movie, along with the digital release of its theme song "One Last Kiss" by Hikaru Utada, and launch of worldwide distribution of past "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition" related songs.
Create a playlist of 26 Evangelion related songs from the current ones available on the official Evangelion Twitter account @evangelion_co. Those who share their playlist on Twitter with the hashtag #evaplaylist will be elligible to win fabulous prizes in a luck drawing.

SPOILER: Show
Entry tweets will be posted on the official EVA-EXTRA app.

Entry Period (JST)
March 9, 2021 (Tuesday) 00:00 - June 9, 2021 (Wednesday) 23:59

Applicable Services
Apple Music, Amazon Music, AWA, KKBOX, LINE MUSIC, Spotify, YouTube Music, dHits

Contest Platform
Twitter

Entry Method
  1. Create a playlist of 26 Evangelion related sounds on the applicable services.
  2. Follow the official Evangelion Twitter account @evangelion_co
  3. Post the URL on Twitter with the hashtag #evaplaylist and include the title of the playlist in the text.
In the body of the message, we look forward to reading your messages about the release movie, memorable songs, and your thoughts and impressions!

Prizes
The following fantastic prizes will be awarded to 20 participants selected via a drawing.
  • Autograph board authographed by Yoko Takahashi - 5 winners
  • Orchestral score (copy) autographed by Shiro SAGISU - 5 winners
  • Hikaru Utada's "One Last Kiss" LP Overseas Version - 10 winners
Entry Contacts
Winners will be contacted by Direct Message via the official Evangelion account @evangelion_co
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:32 pm

Well, I've just had to unfollow one of my favorite fanart tumblrs cause they posted a spoiler picture. Thankfully it did not give away any plot details, it was just one character looking cute, though it was certainly unexpected.

The image looked like from a camrip but I'm afraid to go looking for it 'cause I don't want an out of context fragment. I want to form as complete & unbiased an opinion as humanly possible.

If the ppl here are raging but Japanese audiences liked it, I can only speculate that it really went against the Finger Interpretation of Eva.

That, or Shinji actually kissed someone who wasn't Asuka, though that is super duper unlikely XD or a cultural difference.

I won't know till I see it for all I know I could hate it too. Imean some ppl are going to hype it just 'cause it's EVA.
Last edited by Kendrix on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:44 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:If the ppl here are raging but Japanese audiences liked it
The spoiler forum is quite calm (but still excited). Raging is going on in other anime-related parts of the internet, though.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:50 pm

I'm almost more sad about Unlimited Translation Works being dead than I am about waiting for an official release...
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:52 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:
Kendrix wrote:If the ppl here are raging but Japanese audiences liked it
The spoiler forum is quite calm (but still excited). Raging is going on in other anime-related parts of the internet, though.

Well, tumblr & associates like to call everything toxic especially what falls into a certain niche they've made out to be the enemy, o noes, actual discussion! Things that don't immediately tell you what to think about them! Which isn't to say that there are no things I would criticise about here or reddit adjacent spheres but I'm glad that at least some fragment of the old forums culture has survived. Just ~having~ discussion is not the same as toxicity & a lot of the places & communities calling it out are rife with t themselves. There's no perfect place where everyone agrees with you, even in places where ppl have something in common with you. I had to learn this lesson at 12 or so, but apparently some ppl didn't.

I get that some things should be spelled out & made clear at least in some contexts.
But in the olden days we considered ambiguity & the sparking of discussion as things that could be good.
The experience doesn't end when you're done watching you're meant to think & talk about it afterwards unless it was just background noise to relax too. Which is legit in itself, don't get me wrong, snobbery bad, but I think of EVA as being in the art category.

I mean if no one was mad at all it wouldn't be EVA....
In that sense, "Some people love it and some hate it" is almost the best thing that could be said about it. And wasn't that true for 2.0 and Q as well?

If people are reacting to something in vastly different ways it means it revealed something about them, right?

...now I really wanna see it to participate in the discussion.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:46 am

The more I read impressions of people who have seen the movie the more I want to see it. One today that hyped me a lot said it's a movie (spoiler contains 3 vague adjectives to describe it)

spoilers  SPOILER: Show
rich, romantic, serene

Please Amazon or anyone else bring it to the west ASAP :misato_itadakimasu:

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:27 am

ANN's review for Shin Eva is up (relatively spoiler free, it talks about certain characters but nothing too spoilery about the setting and key scenes IMO) and behold, it's a glowing one!
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/evangelion/3.0-1.0/thrice-upon-a-time/.170407
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:54 am

I honestly had no doubt they would have delivered anything but a great ending, I was always a believer. From the reviews it also looks like the message of the movie is what I expected.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:06 am

English reviews/first impressions are starting to come out too. My God, I need this film RIGHT NOW.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:20 am

So glad to hear all these positive reviews!

Makes me wonder if some of the people who were so salty about 3.0 will revisit the film and be kinder towards it.
I'm trying to stay unspoiled but from what little I've heard the final film really drives home how much setup 3.0 did for it. I lOVE 3.0, it's my favorite of the Rebuilds though I'm thinking that will change when I see the final film, but it can't be denied the biggest flaw with the third film has always been that it was not designed for an over eight year gap between set up and payoff.

I'm thinking if someone was to have their first experience with the Rebuilds a year or two from now and marathon the four films they will be much warmer to the third film.

I now feel like I'm in a Pandemic². I'm avoiding Covid-19 until I get my shot - hopeful it's very soon - and now I'm avoiding most spoilers - I'm ok and won't be angry if I learn some things but I'm trying to avoid the beat by beat synopsis that is out there - until I get my Eva Shot.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:26 am

http://www.dimensionefumetto.it/evangel ... te-lamore/

This review is in italian but Google translate does it justice. The spoilers are well market in advance so you can skip them. It goes in depth on the thematic aspects of the movies, it contextualizes it in the franchise and it also focus on the similarities between Evangelion and The Happy Prince. It also features a translation of the Shin manifesto wrote by Anno (what are trying to make for the third time?).

The review is titled "thrice upon a time love" :moyoco_tears:

(or maybe "love, thrice upon a time" would be better in english, it's a confusing phrase to translate)

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:38 am

Was curious how people who are avoiding spoilers are doing. I saw an earlier post saying they heard the discussion on Evageeks got toxic, but it really hasn't. It was just maybe a little excitable as info without any context came in lol. But it settled pretty quickly. 4Chan is still confirmed to be the biggest toxic garbage dump on the internet however.

Anyways, really hope this gets to Prime within a couple of months and we can all talk about this soon!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:41 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:4Chan is still confirmed to be the biggest toxic garbage dump on the internet however.

I was on 4ch a few days ago reading the reactions to the penultimate AoT chapter leaks, it surpassed my (pretty apocalyptic) expectations.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:49 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:
View Original Posthui43210#913930 wrote:4Chan is still confirmed to be the biggest toxic garbage dump on the internet however.

I was on 4ch a few days ago reading the reactions to the penultimate AoT chapter leaks, it surpassed my (pretty apocalyptic) expectations.

Well, last I heard they were advocating burning down Khara and referencing the Kyoto Animation arson. You can dislike a movie, but advocating murder even in jest means you're a pile of shit in my book.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:54 am

hui43210 wrote:Was curious how people who are avoiding spoilers are doing.

I was in the Spoiler forum the night/morning of before the first screening got out when people were taking the 4chan leaks as gospel. While I'm sure a lot of the stuff I saw there has some legitimacy in truth it was being filtered through 4chan's toxic "Everything has to be a rape, ownage or troll joke" mentality so I paid it little attention. Once the first responses came out of Japan - the people who saw the movie loved it, the 4channers who hate everything except making people miserable hated it sight unseen - I backed out.

I've poked my head into the spoiler pages once or twice but haven't read more than a post or two before backing out and while a thing or two has been dropped on Twitter it's again not enough for me to REALLY know what happens in the final film yet. If I end up getting a vague general idea of what happens I'm okay but I'd rather not know the full on specifics so when I do get to watch the film I'm not thinking "Oh, here comes that one exact thing I saw people freaking out about online!" and I can just let the film take me freely . I'm fine if I get spoiled on Shinji's character journey is this or Rei's character journey is this because short of Anno throwing stuff out the window I have a vague conception of where those have to go based on good storytelling and structure set up in Films 1 through 3.

I won't be able to stop myself from listening to the musical score when it drops next week though. That I'm probably gonna listen to a thousand times before I see the film.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:11 pm

I don't even dare click on those articles or look at vague reviews like this cause I want to form my own perception on the tone. But so far it sounds like the dense, pensive EVA I know and love.

I don't want to slip into these culturally calcified perceptions not even when reading old books - even if I didn't agree I'd doubt if I was just unconsciously being contrarian

Honestly I'd be glad to hear that Rei has a character journey at all, that was my #1 wish above all else (that, and, "No fate worse than death for Shinji" though I think I could enjoy even that that if it was well done)

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:36 pm

I can answer your question with a yes or a no, it's one of the few things I don't personally consider a spoiler that I asked (Rei Q, I don't know anything about Rei II).

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:59 pm

Thanks for the offer but I think I'd rather judge that myself when the time comes

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:11 pm

:kaworu_thumbsup:

May the wait be spoiler-free :D

shito
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby shito » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:29 pm

I'm guessing that as soon as any camrip first surfaces, the internet will be extremely loud about it, but still just in case, would you guys talk about it here, or that'd go into the spoiler forums only? What would be the best way to be up to date in case any camrip surfaces? I'm really anxious. :emogendo:
Also I think last time I logged on here was like 10 years ago, hi everyone.
death and

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”