Shin Eva leak general

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
MoneyCore
Embryo

Re: Shin Eva leak general

Postby MoneyCore » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:11 pm

SPOILER: Show
View Original PostXenoblade wrote:
View Original PostEscapismIsBad#915327 wrote:Uhhhh, Shikinami is just very weird, I don't think Asuka considers herself an human at all. Her naked scene looks like very meta, there's definitely a parallel with Shinji blushing because of seeing her naked in 2.0 and maybe even EoE infamous scene. I don't think Kensuke and Asuka are a couple, but rather very close friends or something, although it's definitely a possibility, besides that Kensuke is probably the only person in the Third Village with the exception of Toji and Hikari she can stay in the house and live a normal life because she at least met him before. Asuka seems to have developed an aversion of Lilin too considering a commentary of Kensuke, but maybe that's just because Asuka is very lonely by nature and chooses to stay away from people, not necessarily the Lilin.

Excellent points. I kind of thought that the...kitchen scene here was to show that 14 years later Shikinami is about as blunt as a ton of bricks. She was hoping for compliments from someone. She got nothing.

I think you're right, Kensuke and Asuka's relationship is probably more like friends, unlike the relationship shown much more clearly between Shinji and Mari. I guess Shinji's last line to Asuka implies something...but given how she grows up before he does he might not really understand what he's saying there anyway... It's not what gets the reaction out of her anyway, she clearly reacts to Shinji's confession.

Changing the outgoing Soryu to the less social Shikinami is an interesting choice. She goes from a prideful but sociable sort to a somewhat kinder, less self-centred girl, but more than a bit of a loner.

Having seen the leaked footage and scripts, I think it's abundantly clear that Shikinami just gives zero fucks at this point in the story.

Her disdain for Lilin/Humanity, and preference to keeping her distance from everyone, results in her being so blunt and crass. I also find it amusing that Kensuke still only refers to her as Shikinami after all those years; there isn't a hint of romance between the two, but more like a caretaker/guardian.

I don't believe for a second that Kensuke would take advantage of Shikinami given that scene of him in the doll costume, along with her general state of mind. She clearly never matured or grew up as much as she claimed. She simply became distant.

Look at how unabashedly nude and distant she is during those scenes, but then contrast that to the scene on the beach when Shinji confesses his past feelings for her. She immediately blushes, covers up her tattered suit, and turns away.

Admittedly, I did chuckle when she turns over only to see Mari and hear her say "Be well, Princess". She then gets booted out of Instrumentality and wakes up looking distraught and shocked.

Even that last glimpse of her at the station was out of focus and she was alone. Contrast that to the scenes with Kaworu/Rei and Mari/Shinji.

I don't know what Anno's end game is for Shikinami's character, but I'd love to see a spin-off from her perspective.
Last edited by MoneyCore on Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:16 pm

Has anyone made the connection yet:

Pen-Pen = Ken-Ken. Like Kensuke is the cute affectionate pet Asuka has around the place but can pretty look after himself?

From the footage I'd seen I could go either way - either they are close friends who don't need to be guarded around each other or they are a couple who've got past the hot intense stage of a relationship and are settled down. The way Kensuke walks in and plonks the towel of Asuka's head is a very "couple that have been together a year or two" thing.

She then gets booted out of Instrumentality and wakes up back at the cabin looking distraught and shocked. She's also back to being her 14 y/o clone form.

That's not what happens. She wakes up in an entry plug and she's still in her 28yo form. The jacket doesn't fit and she doesn't fit in the seat.

Even that last glimpse of her at the station was out of focus and she seemed alone. Contrast that to the scenes with Kaworu/Rei and Mari/Shinji.

As I mentioned before you could easily argue that because Asuka was in the same location as the other pilots she's at the station going back to her new remodelled life with Kensuke. Does she maintain the memories of her life up to this point or has she got a new past like in, for example, the manga ending? Only Anno knows.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Melkor » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:24 pm

I really hope the pilots all still have their memories of what happened. That manga ending where everyone forgot what happened when the work is reset was so dumb. What's the point of all that character development they go through if they don't even remember any of it?

Ah Q
Adam

Postby Ah Q » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:27 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostXenoblade#915298 wrote:After all, as TheFriskylan pointed out - Asuka, Rei and Kaworu seem to disappear into thin air like ghosts...as if it's just metaphorical. Asuka in particular is almost an easter egg or a "blink and you miss it" situation.

I'm not so sure Rei and Kaworu dissapear like Quantum Rei.

I just though they take the train and that's why they don't appear anymore.

So, one interesting detail. The camera is focused on Kaworu and Rei as the train is pulling into the station. When the train pulls in, you can still see Kaworu and Rei through the train's tinted windows.

It cuts to a shot of telephone wires with birds flying away -- the same exact shot that appears in NGE Episode 1 and NTE 1.0 when Shinji sees Quantum Rei. In Episode 1 / 1.0, Shinji sees Quantum Rei, glances up as the birds fly away, and then returns his gaze to where Quantum Rei was, only to discover that she has disappeared.

In the final scene of 3.0+1.0, after we see the birds fly away, it cuts back to a shot of the train in the station, but now from a wider angle. I can't tell from the camrip whether you can still see Rei and Kaworu through the train's tinted windows. Maybe it's clear enough in the actual film to tell, but it would not surprise me if it is deliberately unclear.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:31 pm

View Original PostXenoblade wrote:
View Original Postbladerj#914976 wrote:btw doesnt Shinji say goodbye to Asuka because he was going to sacrifice himself before yui and gendo saved him ?
so.....technically that was his out....mari is a usurper !

Perhaps, but she makes it explicit to him that she has moved on earlier in the film regardless. Even with Shinji also saved in the end, the goodbye stands. The beach scene was: One More Final: I Do (not) Need You in a way.

Shinji understands and accepts he must move on, in line with Asuka's decision earlier in the film. Asuka blushing at Shinji's confession (if not at him seeing her ripped plugsuit, which judging by earlier events in the film wouldn't embarrass her) is an interesting detail but she ultimately made her choice long ago. I understand the focus was on our Eva pilots so Kensuke for example can't be there, but Asuka being the "odd man out" sitting alone at the end is good evidence that the goodbye stands regardless of Shinji making it out alive. Even Rei and Kaworu got to chat, after all. Asuka sits..alone.

I'm with everyone speculating that Mari represents Anno's wife in some metaphorical form, especially with how she falls from the sky (like an angel) to meet him. She feels like a "saviour", as clear as day.

Apologies for the old quote, but damn, I dunno. While I completely understand what Anno is doing thematically, it feels like using Mari for it doesn't really work. I've mentioned before that the ANN review and all the Japanese reviews I read mention this: from a purely narrative standpoint, Mari has not nearly enough development, and never forms a connection with Shinji in the scenes they have together (10 minutes or so in the entire tetralogy, including the ending). I wonder if a more obviously open-ended ending would have worked better. Because, if Shinji moves on from the Eva world, why exactly is someone that loves the Evas so much supposed to be his guide? Leaving aside the shipping per see and opposing mother figure/guide/close frend/matchmaker (lol) implications.

It feels weird. I argued in the past that Asuka simply had unresolved feelings for him. I never expected an actual love confession... even in the past tense. Asuka has gotten over him for entirely understandable AND MATURE reasons. This is something that I applaud, because even if the A/S relationship is all about facing hardships blah blah in the real world, Asuka can't just revolve around Shinji. But then Asuka acts super mega tsundere and blushes the hell out when Shinji returns her past feelings? What the hell? Why can't she just smile and say "thanks", like Shinji also does, providing mutual closure? That kinda feels like teasing again, but at the same time it half defeats the purpose of the scene. Yet at the same time, the A/S shippers themselves didn't expect much from the Weebuilds because 2.0 simply doesn't give enough development to their relationship either. It's bizarre. Asuka just happens to love Shinji but he has barely earned her love either. A bento?!?

Well, either way, like I said, it means that, when the plot wasn't there, they did love each other, inside the narrative. Applies to EoE, applies to NGE, and will probably apply for all the upcoming terrible spin-offs. Or at least be interpreted as such.

Back to the ending, it seems to me to be kinda like the Congratulations scene in EoTV. While it might not get exactly as much backlash as that one (who knows?), I do think the narrative isn't supporting the themes too well. Something blander like them all together at the station walking to the real world would have been more effective. The focus on Mari just feels weird and out of nowhere. And her appearing out of nowhere as a "saviour" is contrary to the generally accepted interpretation of NGE - work on your problems, don't expect a magic saviour, etc. This having been exactly what Kaworu was trying to do and it again not working out - and interesting that this is now framed as a fault on Kaworu's part- I wouldn't quite call it self serving but Kaji says he wanted to make himself happy, and that's an interesting point. Kaworu is more humanized in NTE by way of being misguided instead of more indecipherable and alien. Whereas the "core" with Asuka isn't there at all. They aren't shown to be incompatible, to be toxic together. The problem is that Shinji failed her once, and realized this too late. Remember when Shinji failed her in NGE? He failed to support her when he didn't kiss her back, didn't help he with her deteriorating mental state. There were character reasons for it. In EoE, those were more or less resolved, and then we have them together in ending, with what will happen from there left to the reader. In NTE that also happens. with Shinji not helping her against the Ninth Angel, and he also realizes that, and improves as a character.. but he does so 14 years later. For Shinji all that time had not passed, even if it did for Asuka. It's weird.

So I dunno. I'm not sure I'm buying it. I understand it, but it feels somewhat cheap. It doesn't seem a lot of people are either.

I wonder if we'll need a split thread for this specific point.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoneyCore
Embryo

Postby MoneyCore » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:49 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:That's not what happens. She wakes up in an entry plug and she's still in her 28yo form. The jacket doesn't fit and she doesn't fit in the seat.

Double-checked and you're right, she doesn't really fit in the seat that well anymore! I'll edit that.

View Original PostJayfive wrote:As I mentioned before you could easily argue that because Asuka was in the same location as the other pilots she's at the station going back to her new remodelled life with Kensuke. Does she maintain the memories of her life up to this point or has she got a new past like in, for example, the manga ending? Only Anno knows.

It's possible, but I don't think Anno would have been subtle about it.

I'd also think that if Rei and Kaworu all of a sudden have a different relationship in the new world vs. EVA, then Shikinami's relationship with Kensuke might be different as well now.

Even if a new director/staff takeover, I'd love to see a follow-up to this new world.

Xenoblade
Lilith

Postby Xenoblade » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:52 pm

View Original PostMoneyCore wrote:Even that last glimpse of her at the station was out of focus and she was alone. Contrast that to the scenes with Kaworu/Rei and Mari/Shinji.

Damn, I shouldn't quote the full thing because my post is going to be pretty big, but excellent points! I think you've got the clearest read of Asuka Shikinami Langley as a character that I've ever seen, and yes, what happened on the beach was...jarring.

I too would love a spin-off from her POV, though I'm not holding my breath, especially with how she is jettisoned from Shinji's reality in the manner you described.

I think her being out of focus and alone has a point too. There's another unknown, uninterested woman standing near her who isn't a pilot but doesn't seem to know her. This is a deliberate decision in my opinion, as these two stand in stark contrast to Rei and Kaworu conversing.

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:It feels weird. I argued in the past that Asuka simply had unresolved feelings for him. I never expected an actual love confession... even in the past tense. Asuka has gotten over him for entirely understandable AND MATURE reasons. This is something that I applaud, because even if the A/S relationship is all about facing hardships blah blah in the real world, Asuka can't just revolve around Shinji. But then Asuka acts super mega tsundere and blushes the hell out when Shinji returns her past feelings? What the hell? Why can't she just smile and say "thanks", like Shinji also does, providing mutual closure? That kinda feels like teasing again, but at the same time it half defeats the purpose of the scene. Yet at the same time, the A/S shippers themselves didn't expect much from the Weebuilds because 2.0 simply doesn't give enough development to their relationship either. It's bizarre. Asuka just happens to love Shinji but he has barely earned her love either. A bento?!?

Well, either way, like I said, it means that, when the plot wasn't there, they did love each other, inside the narrative. Applies to EoE, applies to NGE, and will probably apply for all the upcoming terrible spin-offs. Or at least be interpreted as such.

Back to the ending, it seems to me to be kinda like the Congratulations scene in EoTV. While it might not get exactly as much backlash as that one (who knows?), I do think the narrative isn't supporting the themes too well. Something blander like them all together at the station walking to the real world would have been more effective. The focus on Mari just feels weird and out of nowhere. And her appearing out of nowhere as a "saviour" is contrary to the generally accepted interpretation of NGE - work on your problems, don't expect a magic saviour, etc. This having been exactly what Kaworu was trying to do and it again not working out - and interesting that this is now framed as a fault on Kaworu's part- I wouldn't quite call it self serving but Kaji says he wanted to make himself happy, and that's an interesting point. Kaworu is more humanized in NTE by way of being misguided instead of more indecipherable and alien.

No quote is ever too old! I think you also made lots of great points.

I think Asuka falling in love over bento lunches is her not telling the full truth, just like how she seems to have lingering, tsundere feelings on that beach as you said. We didn't get a full confession from Asuka, even if her reasons were mature and fair, there was still something there.

Shinji in the rebuilds is a fairly cool guy and he clearly makes an impression on her. It's not super well-developed but I think we're supposed to read between the lines and action scenes to the extent that we can.

I would say that the appearance that Asuka has physically aged in that final scene and breaks her plug-suit has significance. Maybe the fact that Shinji felt exactly the same way about her hurts even more with the reminder that he, who still perfectly fits in his plug-suit, metaphorically can't be the man she needs. She can't say anything because she still loves him. It just hurts. There she lays, alone.

Then she sits...alone.

It's a lot to unpack.

As for Mari turning into a successful Kaworu...yeah....it does feel like that. It's not fully consistent with NGE/EoE's message to find a saviour like that...but I guess that's that.
Don't be.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Derantor » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:55 pm

We'll have to wait for the full movie, because so far, the redone beach-scene doesn't really make sense intuitively for me. Asuka seems unhappy about being told that he liked her back once she turns away. Seems like she already had made her peace, and now he's opening up the whole thing again. It's not even about romance, necessarily. I doubt anybody ever told her that they liked her, going by her backstory and by how jaded she is throughout NTE.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby EscapismIsBad » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:57 pm

Exactly, I feel like the fanbase will have a lot of work to do with Asuka in the remaining years, she's currently very ambiguous and there's a lot of information to unpack.

I have some questions to do which I haven't seen anywhere: what are the weapons EVA 02 wields while descending into the Guf? What are their purposes?

A commentary: most of the Western people which didn't see the movie yet don't like the CGI GNR because it looks like bad CG, in truth I appreciate this new GNR, the photorealism and uncanny valley looks very unnerving and disturbing, of course people aren't going to like it, but that's very close to the point being proposed. I doubt if EoE was made with today's technology the GNR wouldn't be like that too.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:00 pm

I get if NTE wants to have different themes. Moving on is a valid theme. I don't even think it's trying to tell us that you just need to wait for a saviour, but it's not communicating either theme very effectively. Ehhh.

As for A/S itself: then why not make it milder? Like I said, just have Asuka react with a smile and say "thanks". Instead she's completely fucking overwhelmed. It feels like if you gave her 10 more seconds she'd freak out and beg him not to go, in true lovestruck tsundere fashion.

View Original PostDerantor wrote:We'll have to wait for the full movie, because so far, the redone beach-scene doesn't really make sense intuitively for me. Asuka seems unhappy about being told that he liked her back once she turns away. Seems like she already had made her peace, and now he's opening up the whole thing again. It's not even about romance, necessarily. I doubt anybody ever told her that they liked her, going by her backstory and by how jaded she is throughout NTE.

And excellent point Derantor. Asuka's preceding scene about having had no parents, wanting to be independent, and then Doll Kensuke telling her it's alright in a very fatherly fashion (whatever you want to say of the rest of their relationship, this is a dad scene), gives this all a weird context. Asuka herself says that Shinji "needs a mother, not a girlfriend." Yes, correct. In EoE he manages that. Misato becomes his mother figure, and he makes peace with Yui. He grows up, and is ready for life, with or without Asuka as a partner for it.

Then in NTE Mari also usurps Misato's role. He makes some peace with her, but it's mostly Mari that guides him into going into the new world... except even when Asuka says she loved him, after recognizing he is growing up, Mari is also there, and that's in fact just when she re-introduces herself to him. Shinji growing up as a process of him experiencing things in the survivor's village, and Rei Q's demise (which would feel weird, but it seems to me like both Reis are conjoined here, not too much unlike Rei III and Rei II).
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Derantor » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:02 pm

The biggest problem right now is that we don't have all the information, and trying to draw any conclusions here is rather pointless, except for big-picture thematic stuff, which is apparent in the broad strokes of the story and the tone of the already available clips plus the reviews of people who already saw the movie.

@Felipe: I think your imagination is running wild again. She has a slight blush, then she frowns. Hardly "OMG I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABIES STAY WITH ME!" More like: "Somebody really did like me back then? Well ... too little too late. Should have said so at the time."
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:08 pm

That is of course a more reasonable interpretation, but Anno leaving this much space here and then doing the opposite with a largely disjointed Mari scene is weird. I expected in the past that the movie would just leave all ships equally open (you can just assume any one of them will meet again in the real world) and it does that, but it doesn't at the same time.

EDIT: And I'm repeating what I read in those reviews as well. The Japanese are also having a hard time buying Mari's role here, even if they like the movie itself. This review touches upon it well:

https://note.com/wakari_te/n/n0ba0c462e025

Yes, Shinji Ikari is represented as the complete alter ego of Hideaki Anno at this point. In other words, the character "Shinji Ikari" does not appear for even a second in this film. This is because his existence has been completely taken over by Anno Hideaki.

Next to him, Mari, who takes Shinji's hand, is a woman from the real world who guides Shinji (Anno), namely his wife, Moyoco Anno.

This may sound delusional, but there are many aspects of Shin-Eva that must be interpreted as metaphors for reality to make the story work. The relationship between Shinji and Mari is a prime example.

Shinji and Mari only see each other four times in the series (the rooftop scene and the destroyed No. 2 machine in "Daigo", the isolation room and the scene where they go to minus space in "Shin"), and they hardly have any in-depth conversations. In other words, there is no way to establish a strong relationship of trust, but somehow it is assumed that they are bound together by a uniquely strong bond. It would be impossible to decipher this relationship except as a projection of real human relationships.

View Original PostArtyumR wrote:
there isn't any chemistry between Mari and Shinji , you will not find that in the movie she just met Mari properly at the middle of the movie
there is no conversation. In other words, there is no way to establish a strong relationship , but for some reason it is supposed to be a unique and strong bond. :rolleyes:

it makes no sense if you think about Shinji as an independent entity and not just H.Anno telling that he's in a better place now.

See. To say nothing of the fact that Anno made them both have 28-year old bodies, but Shinji is either still mentally 14 and Mari is mentally fucking 51, or maybe Shinji has already spent some years there. Let's say he is mentally 23. Mari is mentally 60. An old lady.

MoneyCore
Embryo

Postby MoneyCore » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:26 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:
View Original PostXenoblade#914980 wrote:It feels weird. I argued in the past that Asuka simply had unresolved feelings for him. I never expected an actual love confession... even in the past tense. Asuka has gotten over him for entirely understandable AND MATURE reasons. This is something that I applaud, because even if the A/S relationship is all about facing hardships blah blah in the real world, Asuka can't just revolve around Shinji. But then Asuka acts super mega tsundere and blushes the hell out when Shinji returns her past feelings? What the hell? Why can't she just smile and say "thanks", like Shinji also does, providing mutual closure? That kinda feels like teasing again, but at the same time it half defeats the purpose of the scene. Yet at the same time, the A/S shippers themselves didn't expect much from the Weebuilds because 2.0 simply doesn't give enough development to their relationship either. It's bizarre. Asuka just happens to love Shinji but he has barely earned her love either. A bento?!?

I hadn't laughed this hard all day.

But it's so on point.

Many of the characters barely have proper arcs, and this stunted development is because Anno thought cramming all of this into 4 movies was a good idea.

Rebuild would have infinitely been better as a proper TV series.

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:
View Original PostXenoblade#914980 wrote: Mari has not nearly enough development, and never forms a connection with Shinji in the scenes they have together (10 minutes or so in the entire tetralogy, including the ending).

Wait, really? I blitzed through the movies, but Mari barely has 10minutes across 4 films?
Last edited by MoneyCore on Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:29 pm

No shit. That's it. And in Shin, the only shippy scenes are the first one, which is ALSO the big Asuka moment, and the ending.

It feels too remote a possibility, but I wonder if Anno will end up adding a few more minutes to put things into context like he did with the Director's Cuts in the past.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:32 pm

I sucks that we have to rely on old continuity in order for the characters relationships to have relevance enough for the ending to make sense.
Last edited by ChaddyManPrime on Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

MoneyCore
Embryo

Postby MoneyCore » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:33 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:No shit. That's it. And in Shin, the only shippy scenes are the first one, which is ALSO the big Asuka moment, and the ending.

It feels too remote a possibility, but I wonder if Anno will end up adding a few more minutes to put things into context like he did with the Director's Cuts in the past.

It's gonna have to be a beefy Director's Cut.

I need to see a fair bit more of Mari, and even Shikinami.

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:I sucks that we have to rely on old continuity in order for the characters relationships to have any value.

It also makes separating NGE/EoE from the Rebuild Series that much harder.

The Rebuild series would be a bizarre viewing experience without having seen the original anime; there's barely any fleshed out character arcs to be found in the movies.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:41 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:
View Original PostKonja7#915084 wrote:Honestly, I don't know where the Shinji's love towards Asuka started, since he doesn't really show it in 2.0 or 3.0.

Really? Personally, I could always tell that something was going on between them (it's one of the reasons for why the incident with Unit 03 was portrayed as being so miserable in the first place). The feelings were there. It was pretty obvious to me. However, I believe more screen time between those two characters would have helped to convey their relationship even further. Everything felt too condensed (especially when compared with how things played in the original series).

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:I sucks that we have to rely on old continuity in order for the characters relationships to have relevance enough for the ending to make sense.

Exactly. The EoE beach scene, even if it is a thematic callback and has no continuity connection, wouldn't make sense with NTE on its own. It's fine to reference previous iterations of the franchise, but the work needs to stand on its own.

It doesn't seem like it does.

View Original PostMoneyCore wrote:The Rebuild series would be a bizarre viewing experience without having seen the original anime; there's barely any fleshed out character arcs to be found in the movies.

Maybe they should have just had less confusing and uninteresting action scenes and more character development, then.

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Slowpokeking » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:48 pm

Didn't Shinji seem to dislike Asuka in the end of EOE?

Xenoblade
Lilith

Postby Xenoblade » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:50 pm

View Original PostDerantor wrote:We'll have to wait for the full movie, because so far, the redone beach-scene doesn't really make sense intuitively for me. Asuka seems unhappy about being told that he liked her back once she turns away. Seems like she already had made her peace, and now he's opening up the whole thing again. It's not even about romance, necessarily. I doubt anybody ever told her that they liked her, going by her backstory and by how jaded she is throughout NTE.

Well, to the extent that when Asuka is upset, she always lets you know, I think it works. The context is having to move on from a crush and what could have been... It's easy to say she made peace long ago, but it clearly hurt all the same. Shinji could have just kept it bottled up, but that hardly feels fitting after 26 years of Eva. If you allow Anno the indulgence of requiring the original 1995-1997 material to help facilitate this...we know Shinji likes her, and he's willing to show it at the end.

It's not much of a leap, even in NTE alone.
Don't be.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Konja7 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:54 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:I sucks that we have to rely on old continuity in order for the characters relationships to have relevance enough for the ending to make sense.

Honestly, I think most relationships in Rebuild series work independently from the TV series

Shinji and Misato, Shinji and Rei II and Shinji and Kaworu (even if this need to include the internal loop) have been build in Rebuild.

Shinji and Asuka is the weird one, since it's pretty hard to imagine Shinji has feeling for Asuka from 2.0 or 3.0 (even 3.0+1.0 doesn't seem to imply this before the beach scene).

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”