Shin Eva leak general

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Jäeger
Temp-Banned

Re: Shin Eva leak general

Postby Jäeger » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:16 pm

View Original PostXenoblade wrote:
I like it, but it's a little bleak. There is no doubt that Asuka Shikinami truly loved Shinji, and that Shinji truly loved Asuka Shikinami. She cared a lot, even back in 2.0 when she was willing to stand aside for Rei (misinterpreting Rei's feelings for Shinji) in 2.0. Asuka really did love him.

And,still, Anno didn't give their relationship the time and importance It deserved in 2.0.

They way he has mistreated Shikinami, despite being a totally different character From Soryu, is quite sad.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Pen-Pen02
Embryo

Postby Pen-Pen02 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:18 pm

I haven't posted on the forum in a long time and I see a lot about Evangelion that has happened. I have not seen the movie yet, but according to the comments I see that it's a great movie. Also, it can answer many of the questions that many fans have had in all this time. However, there are things that I didn't like very much, but I think Anno wanted them in that way and I respect his ideas. I would have liked a better development for Asuka, who has always been a great character and to see how she achieves her happiness (because in all the other characters we can see it) but here in this story Shinji is the protagonist. It's sad that Anno won't do anymore else Evangelion stories, I would have liked to see Asuka better and smiling in a good life for her (now that I think about it, according to the spoilers, Asuka doesn't look happy or at least a peaceful smile during the movie or its final, at least that's what I think and that makes her role in Rebuild even sadder).

I didn't expect Asuka to stay with Shinji as a couple at the end of Rebuild (this happens since Rebuild 2.0, because throughout Rebuild's history, Shinji is closer to Rei, so how can Shinji say that he liked Asuka?, Come on, he didn't even defend her from the angel and with Rei he did make a better effort :facepalm: ), but I would have liked to see Asuka happy, smiling and at peace with her past, either alone or with a partner and, why not, even with children, but just there is an open ending for her. It's as if Anno wanted to "disappear" his character because she reminds him of his past (like when a person no longer wants to talk about his ex), but he cann't do it because she is part of Evangelion story. As such, Anno made Asuka "break up" with Shinji by telling him that she carried on with her life for the last 14 years and that now she probably has a "kind of relationship" with Kensuke. In this way, fans could better accept that Shinji can said goodbye to her (although, I wasn't so sure she wanted that, she was still with her tsundere-style feelings :irked: , blushing and looking away so as not to be sincere, for what I think she has lied again about her feelings).
Last edited by Pen-Pen02 on Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I just wanna a happy end for Asuka

I only speak Spanish. Sorry for grammatical mistakes in my posts...

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Slowpokeking » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:19 pm

I think the Misato son plot was totally unnecessary. It made her a very bad mother in truth. The last thing she would want her child to experience was what she suffered in her childhood: Absence of parents. Especially after Kaji was dead which left him without a father. Sure she is busy but certainly could spend as much time as possible rather than left her son without even knowing his parents.

Even if they wanted to put him in, it would have been much better as "She gave birth to her son but lost contact with him in accident, thought he was dead." That would have been much more logical and faithful to her character.

Xenoblade
Lilith

Postby Xenoblade » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:44 pm

View Original PostJäeger wrote:
View Original PostXenoblade#914960 wrote:
I like it, but it's a little bleak. There is no doubt that Asuka Shikinami truly loved Shinji, and that Shinji truly loved Asuka Shikinami. She cared a lot, even back in 2.0 when she was willing to stand aside for Rei (misinterpreting Rei's feelings for Shinji) in 2.0. Asuka really did love him.

And,still, Anno didn't give their relationship the time and importance It deserved in 2.0.

They way he has mistreated Shikinami, despite being a totally different character From Soryu, is quite sad.

I think that's fair. There could have been a greater emotional impact if we were shown in 2.0 (and 3.0) just how much Shinji cares. He tells her that he likes or loves her here romantically but I would have liked to have seen it shown more in the Rebuilds, even with the limited screen time.

View Original PostPen-Pen02 wrote:In this way, fans could better accept that Shinji can said goodbye to her (although, I wasn't so sure she wanted that, she was still with her tsundere-style feelings :irked: , blushing and looking away so as not to be sincere, for what I think she has lied again about her feelings).

Yeah, I think her look on the beach there is very sombre. Asuka doesn't seem to mind Shinji seeing her figure anymore, so that leaves only one reason for her to have a look like that. A picture is worth a thousand words.

At the train station at the end it may have been a choice not to include Kensuke there, as the focus is on our five Eva pilots...but I guess we'll never know the precise reason. Asuka sitting alone on a bench is her closure I think, for better or worse. Anno's last word. He did something very similar with a very similar character decades ago...
Don't be.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:50 pm

Folks, here is the end of an era
Links deleted

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:54 pm

@Xenoblade
I've been thinking about some of the things you wrote here today. There are a lot of uncertainties in our minds right now and that's going to be a thing until we all watch the movie. Until now, we've all been talking about Asuka moving on from Shinji. However, there is much more to uncover here. I mean, does Asuka still need Shinji's love right now? Probably not.
A very interesting scene, which few people comment on, is the one that precedes the beach segment. In it, Asuka is portrayed as a child with no parents. She is sad and just wantes someone to pet her head. That guy is Kensuke. He caresses her and says: "It's all right. Asuka is Asuka. That's enough". The message here is clear. Asuka is no longer alone.
I'm not sure if her relationship with Kensuke has romantic implications (probably not). However, that's fine. All Asuka needed was company and attention. Shinji was unable to provide that to her, but others were. I personally don't see it as being sad, but healthy.
As for Asuka being alone at the train station, I think they were trying to frame only the pilots. I mean, she may be alone at that specific moment, but who's to say she's a lonely person? I doubt it. Well, she is a small detail in it anyways. At that point of the movie, her journey had already ended. That sequence was more about Shinji.
I can't say much more about it until I watch the damn movie hahaha!
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Pen-Pen02
Embryo

Postby Pen-Pen02 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:45 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Until now, we've all been talking about Asuka moving on from Shinji. However, there is much more to uncover here. I mean, does Asuka still need Shinji's love right now? Probably not.
A very interesting scene, which few people comment on, is the one that precedes the beach segment. In it, Asuka is portrayed as a child with no parents. She is sad and just wantes someone to pet her head. That guy is Kensuke. He caresses her and says: "It's all right. Asuka is Asuka. That's enough". The message here is clear. Asuka is no longer alone.
I'm not sure if her relationship with Kensuke has romantic implications (probably not). However, that's fine. All Asuka needed was company and attention. Shinji was unable to provide that to her, but others were. I personally don't see it as being sad, but healthy.
As for Asuka being alone at the train station, I think they were trying to frame only the pilots. I mean, she may be alone at that specific moment, but who's to say she's a lonely person? I doubt it. Well, she is a small detail in it anyways. At that point of the movie, her journey had already ended. That sequence was more about Shinji.

If Asuka has a romantic relationship with Kensuke that's fine with me. Kensuke was always a calm, patient, cheerful and very kind character, which would be a good influence on Asuka. In this case, it's as you say. It's not known until watching the whole film if it's a romantic relationship between Kensuke and Asuka, from father to daughter or, why not, even brothers. However, my complaint would be that a smiling Asuka is not seen at the end of the film and moving to the future without some burden of bitterness in her life. You just don't see much of it.

SPOILER: Show
On the other hand, Asuka (adult?) can be seen with Kensuke's jacket at the end of everything (symbol of some kind of bond with him?). Then, Asuka is expelled from the EVA she is in (expels herself?), hinting that she wants to live to, possibly, finally look for Kensuke already with an adult body, in order to continue with him or finally take a romantic relationship. If so, then it is not such a bad ending for her, as Asuka would have finally found a sincere affection for her life, but this is not known if this is because she wants it or because she has no other option, since Shinji told her now that he didn't like her any more and now Asuka really has nowhere else to turn (remember that until a few moments ago, the news that Shinji liked her hits her, and maybe be with Kensuke was just to forget it).

Surely, I wouldn't complain so much about all this if Shinji had said these things to Shikinami, since Shinji doesn't have a story with her, but a bit the images suggest that what he said was to Sohryu, when she didn't participate in Rebuild's story. Shinji lived with Sohryu and had a story together, so a phrase like "I liked you, but now goodbye" seems very empty in this case for his "first love".
I just wanna a happy end for Asuka

I only speak Spanish. Sorry for grammatical mistakes in my posts...

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Slowpokeking » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:05 pm

What happened to Ritsuko in the end? I felt that her character struggle was pretty much cut off in Rebuild.

Xenoblade
Lilith

Postby Xenoblade » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:21 pm

@BernardoCairo
Yeah, we'll have to see the full film for ourselves, perhaps I am reading too much into Asuka on the bench. You're right though, Shinji couldn't be there for her, and he accepts it. It stings, but it makes sense. I like the final blush and flip so Shinji couldn't see it though. ^_^

@Pen-Pen02
Good point about how the very next scene is a jump cut to her in Kensuke's jacket again...though as far as I can tell she *does not appear to be wearing it* in the last scene when she is on the other side of the train station. I guess as this is Shinji's story we're not likely to get the same level of closure for Asuka. Shinji's final line to her may have to be closure enough, ultimately.
Don't be.

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby wiser3754 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:25 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:
View Original Postwiser3754#914946 wrote:Odd how Asuka is grown up in this scene yet after Mari says goodbye Asuka awakens in Unit 13's entry plug, half naked without an eyepatch and ejected back to earth. And she's still 14.
She's too tall for the seat at that point. Would need to check how the hoodie fits, if she's grown too tall for it.

Actually, looking at the scene again, especially her face when she wakes up in the plug, I think she is an adult at that point.
I watch and speculate.

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Slowpokeking » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:29 pm

Wut? It's Kensuke's jacket?

Xenoblade
Lilith

Postby Xenoblade » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:36 pm

View Original PostSlowpokeking wrote:Wut? It's Kensuke's jacket?

On the beach, right after Shinji confesses and asks her to say hi to Kensuke for him, and then after Mari calls her princess again, we get a very quick jump cut away from the beach to her wearing Kensuke's jacket again, yes. This all happens in a matter of seconds.

I don't think she's wearing it at the train station as far as I can tell though, for what it's worth.
Don't be.

Huagh
Adam

Postby Huagh » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:41 pm

Just came back to say that Shinji and Mari are indeed cute and dorky.

IsAnnoGodOrATroll
Adam

Postby IsAnnoGodOrATroll » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:12 pm

View Original Postmelonpan wrote:
Obviously there have been moments where the 3D was a little strange, but the good outweight the bad. There are so many parts that use 3D in Rebuild and most of them look great. The 3D definitely allows them to do more or to fully flesh out their ideas, which seems like they utilized since the beginning.

Yup, some of the scenes would have been absolutely atrocious to draw in hand. The scenes of Asuka and Mari fighting the MP-Evas in the trailers wouldn't have been possible without the 3D, or would look as good without them. The starting part of Trailer 2 with the swarm of Evas following Unit 2's tail is just a creepy looking but still fantastically made tidbit. I can't wait to see the while sequence in full.

View Original Postmelonpan wrote:Also, where did you read that they switched from Maya to Blender? Unless I read that wrong. Thats an interesting tidbit.

I made a mistake, it was 3DS Max not Maya! My brain mixed up the name because of the M's. :facepalm:

But it was from here!
https://www.blender.org/user-stories/ja ... o-blender/
Thrice Upon A Goodbye...

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:24 pm

Jesus, I don't think it's Shinji that needs the time loop antics Kaworu, it's Asuka. The more I read and think about this, the more fucked up it appears.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

KitchenBattle
Embryo

Postby KitchenBattle » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:26 pm

View Original PostXenoblade wrote:
View Original PostJäeger#915004 wrote:Asuka sitting alone on a bench is her closure I think, for better or worse. Anno's last word. He did something very similar with a very similar character decades ago...

Can you tell me what work/character that might be? I'm interested in checking it out as an exercise until the camrip comes out. I know that the Kensuke archetype has been done a few times by Anno and Gainax.

Xenoblade
Lilith

Postby Xenoblade » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:41 pm

One last detail and I'll let it go for now...just like Anno so clearly wants us to:

At the train station Rei and Kaworu get an establishing shot from Shinji's POV, while Asuka does not...

Do you know why? It's because Mari comes up behind him and blinds Shinji's eyes before he can shift his gaze to Asuka.

Subtle.

View Original PostKitchenBattle wrote:
View Original PostXenoblade#915013 wrote:

Can you tell me what work/character that might be? I'm interested in checking it out as an exercise until the camrip comes out. I know that the Kensuke archetype has been done a few times by Anno and Gainax.

Gunbuster spoilers below:

SPOILER: Show
The character of Jung Freud. It's a lot to take in but there's an excellent YouTube channel that explains what happens to her better than I ever could https://youtu.be/A_zf878uCf4?t=313. I think to a certain extent, Jung Freud is Asuka, and also to a certain extent...the same situation occurs. Shinji's final interactions with Asuka occurs after a timeskip in which she grows up in the 14-year interval between 2.0 and 3.0. Indeed, his very final interaction occurs after a clearly adult Asuka outgrows her plugsuit, while his is still intact. She grew up before he did, literally, in that segment.

Mari and Shinji may not sacrifice themselves, but they ultimately move on without Asuka Langley Shikinami, just like Noriko and Kazumi are forced into the future long after Jung Freud has died with a time skip. In Gunbuster we last see Jung Freud crying over a table, that is it..and here we have Asuka...sitting alone...on a bench. The end.
Last edited by Xenoblade on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Don't be.

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Slowpokeking » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:43 pm

I still think the Mari coupling was a bit odd, they didn't even have much interaction before.

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Melkor » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:46 pm

I'm still confused. Are the Rei, Kaworu, and Asuka that Shinji sees at the train station the same Rei, Kaworu, and Asuka, or are they alternate versions that exist in this new world? If they are the same ones, why does Shinji act as though they are complete strangers? Looking across the platform and seeing these people he knew, wouldn't he at least think to wave and say hi. "Hey guys, haven't seen you in a while. How've you been doing lately?" Shinji may have moved on from Asuka, but that doesn't mean he has to then completely cut her out of his life and act like she just doesn't exist anymore. I'm sure he would still value her as a friend and comrade. Some would say that it's to emphasize the theme of them moving on, but you don't have to go that extreme with it to where Asuka is just dead to Shinji now to get that point across. That's not really moving on, that's just running away and hiding from your failures by burying them and pretending they never happened. If anything, it would show even more growth and maturity on Shinji's part if he still able to remain good friends with Asuka despite no longer having any feelings for her. Plenty of people in real life after breaking up with their exes part on amicable terms and still remain friends with them. If this is the same world, I like to think Shinji, Rei, Asuka, Kaworu, Mari, Kensuke, Touji, and Hikari still occasionally get together and hang out as adults every now and then and talk about life.
Last edited by Melkor on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:49 pm

^
Maybe they weren't even meant to be friends?

Does it explicitly say that Kaworu is in control of the time loop? How he goes about it?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”