Shin Eva leak general

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Jäeger
Temp-Banned

Re: Shin Eva leak general

Postby Jäeger » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:47 am

View Original PostMelkor wrote:So a movie series that was all about rejecting escapism, ends with the main character embracing escapism by literally hitting the reset button and going to a different world, rather than accepting things for how they are in their world and trying to make the best of them.

That's my point : reseting/creating a new world and leaving with a manic pixie dream girl with zero development in 3 movies and whom he only shares a minute of screentime and literrally falls from the sky?

I'm glad Anno has found hapinnes with his wife, but there is a little bit of hipocrisy there, IMHO. In real life people you don't know and with the sole porpouse to make you happy don't fall from the sky. It's not so easy.

I don't know, it seems tricky to me. As I've said before, resetting is a crappy and cheap trope and smells of Eva rip off from the late 90s-early 2000s (cough Raxhephon cough). Better executed than it's imitators? I'm sure. But still crappy and cheap.

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:I mean presumably the rest of the film is Shinji trying to take responsibility and resolve things before he just moves on. Like if he just told everyone to fuck off and then escaped while letting Gendo run amok, and the movie praised that, well that would be pretty bad but it doesn't sound like the movie is doing anything to quite that level.

Resetting is quite the opposite to taking responsibility, even if he fixes the main conflict. I don't like the message. And remember : is a trope that has been done tooooooooooooooooooooo many times.
Last edited by Jäeger on Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:50 am

LOL.....it's a goddamn MOVIE! Why would anyone assume it's in any way based on Anno's real life??

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

Postby Jäeger » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:55 am

View Original Postos189 wrote:LOL.....it's a goddamn MOVIE! Why would anyone assume it's in any way based on Anno's real life??

Well, his more hardcore fans are the ones justifying his artistic choices because they are based in his real life......
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:57 am

I'm sure every artist puts some of themselves into their work. It's up to them to disclose how much that is to us.

I find it hilarious that people think this chick with big boobs and glasses is supposed to be his real life wife for some reason.

I guess if we had internet back then, people would have thought "Jaws" was about the time Steven Spielberg had to kill a great white shark.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:58 am

View Original Postos189 wrote:LOL.....it's a goddamn MOVIE! Why would anyone assume it's in any way based on Anno's real life??

Cause writers use their real lives as inspiration all the time?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:00 am

View Original Postos189 wrote:I'm sure every artist puts some of themselves into their work. It's up to them to disclose how much that is to us.

I find it hilarious that people think this chick with big boobs and glasses is supposed to be his real life wife for some reason.

I guess if we had internet back then, people would have thought "Jaws" was about the time Steven Spielberg had to kill a great white shark.

It's not that she's his real life wife, she came out of nowhere and fell right into his lap.

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:03 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:
View Original Postos189#913779 wrote:LOL.....it's a goddamn MOVIE! Why would anyone assume it's in any way based on Anno's real life??

Cause writers use their real lives as inspiration all the time?

Of course. The teachers at Hogwart's are based on Rowling's old teachers. Kramer on Seinfeld is based on a guy Larry David knew.

But this idea of "Oh man, I'm so depressed and I hate my life....oh wait...I'm so happy now cause I have a wife, so I'm gonna draw her as a sexy anime character for nerds to buy pillows of and make her the star of my movie!!!" seems like a stretch to me.

I don't know. I've never met Anno. He seems like a complicated dude. I can't speak for him either way.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:06 am

SPOILER: Show
View Original Postos189 wrote:
View Original PostChaddyManPrime#913783 wrote:Cause writers use their real lives as inspiration all the time?

Of course. The teachers at Hogwart's are based on Rowling's old teachers. Kramer on Seinfeld is based on a guy Larry David knew.

But this idea of "Oh man, I'm so depressed and I hate my life....oh wait...I'm so happy now cause I have a wife, so I'm gonna draw her as a sexy anime character for nerds to buy pillows of and make her the star of my movie!!!" seems like a stretch to me.

I don't know. I've never met Anno. He seems like a complicated dude. I can't speak for him either way.

We're not saying she is based on his wife, we are saying that Mari's creation was sparked by him meeting his wife.

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby LightDragonman » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:07 am

I do know that many members of the Japanese Twitter community are noting how Mari's relationship with Shinji seems to mirror how Moyoco helped out Anno during his times of depression and the like. Honestly, though I still wanted to see Rei be the one (bite me XD), this actually doesn't upset me. After all, Mari was one of the ones who stood by him all these times, and if we go be the theory that she represents Anno's wife, it's no wonder we had this.

And hey, at the very least, Rei does end up getting a happy ending in the new world. Even if Rei Q ended up getting yeeted out of the film not a third of the way through, Rei II managed to get closure with Shinji.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Konja7 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:07 am

At the end of 2.0, we have the impression that Kaworu stopped the Third Impact. However, 3.0+1.0 confirmed again (3.0 already said it) that his attack doesn't really stopped it, since a sacrifice (Kaji) seems to be necessary to stop the Impact.

I guess Mark.06 attack to Eva01 at the end of 2.0 delayed the Third Impact, although it can't stop it. Is it mentioned at some point?

View Original PostZethus Thorne wrote:
SPOILER: Show
Sakura cries after realizing that it wasn't Shinji's fault that Near Third Impact happened but Misato's

I still not sure how Near Third Impact could be considered Misato's fault.

I've understand she could feel responsible, since she supports Shinji in 2.0. However, Shinji started the Third Impact trying to save Rei even without Misato's support.
Last edited by Konja7 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:08 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:
View Original Postos189#913782 wrote:I'm sure every artist puts some of themselves into their work. It's up to them to disclose how much that is to us.

It's not that she's his real life wife, she came out of nowhere and fell right into his lap.

Well, Mari really is a bit of a Mary Sue isn't she? Came out of nowhere, more skilled than all the other previously established characters, gets along with everyone, everyone loves her, never does anything wrong, etc etc.

That's just based on her appearing in 2.0 and 3.0.

It's WAAAAY more over the top in the new one. God that scene when she emerges from the water, looking all sexy and perfect with long hair and her wet clothes clinging to her....it's hilarious. I'll be waiting with my popcorn gifs for the outrage mob on twitter once they see this movie. They're gonna go apeshit.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

Postby Jäeger » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:09 am

View Original Postos189 wrote:I'm sure every artist puts some of themselves into their work. It's up to them to disclose how much that is to us.

Let's be serious : until the last movie, the way he has dealed with the character has been ridiculous. They didn't even know what to do with her in 2.0.

And Maria Of Iscariot? My god, the pretentious religious jargon sometimes is too much....

By the way, I'm anxious to watch that first slow/ghibli hour. I believe is the one I'm gonna enjoy the most.

Ah, a question for you. Does making Asuka a clone add anything to the narrative? And no, I'm not talking about "I felt alone as a child". That choice doesn't need the cloning thing.

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:After all, Mari was one of the ones who stood by him all these time

When does that happen? Because they almost share zero screentime :???:
Last edited by Jäeger on Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:13 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:
Ah, a question for you. Does making Asuka a clone add anything to the narrative? And no, I'm not talking about "I felt alone as a child". That choice doesn't need the cloning thing.

I didn't think it was necessary or really added anything. I think it was just there as a kind of "Gotcha!" for the audience to remind them that the movies are different from the show.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:17 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:Ah, a question for you. Does making Asuka a clone add anything to the narrative? And no, I'm not talking about "I felt alone as a child". That choice doesn't need the cloning thing.
When I read it, it came as no surprise. The whole name change to being another -nami rather telegraphed this development, I feel.

View Original PostMelkor wrote:So a movie series that was all about rejecting escapism, ends with the main character embracing escapism by literally hitting the reset button and going to a different world, rather than accepting things for how they are in their world and trying to make the best of them.
Different strokes for different folks -- it's going to be like the argument about whether Shinji embracing Instrumentality in EoTV is escapism, or represents Shinji being dragged out of his hikki cave and into the Big Blue Room by his friends.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Konja7 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:22 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:When I read it, it came as no surprise. The whole name change to being another -nami rather telegraphed this development, I feel.

Yeah. This was likely planned from the start, but there was no time to develop it, since Rebuild movies hardly focus on Asuka.

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby LightDragonman » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:26 am

LightDragonman wrote:After all, Mari was one of the ones who stood by him all these time

She was the one who brought him out of the shelter in 2.0 to force him to see what happened to Rei because of him running away, even saying that he managed to save them all at the end of that film, and in 3.0, she also didn't show any animosity towards Shinji, and also encouraged him to at the very least go help Asuka at the end of that movie.

I know, not much to go off of. Still, at least it's something.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

Postby Jäeger » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:46 am

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:

She was the one who brought him out of the shelter in 2.0 to force him to see what happened to Rei because of him running away, even saying that he managed to save them all at the end of that film, and in 3.0, she also didn't show any animosity towards Shinji, and also encouraged him to at the very least go help Asuka at the end of that movie.

I know, not much to go off of. Still, at least it's something.

So, almost zero.

It's not about shipping, it's just it feels ridiculous after three movies where the character felt like a shoehorned product placement, IMHO. It's her being important in the last movie just for the sake of being her. And it's sad, because she had a lot of potential. As I said before, a manic pixie dram girl fallen from the sky to solve your life. I expected more from Anno.

And, in a shipping way... "I loved you", "I loved you too"...and what did you show us in 2.0, Anno?

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Melkor » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:47 am

What I'm confused on is why did Shinji even have to go to a new world? He fixed the old one by reversing the effects of all the impacts, and the Evangelions are gone now, so everything there should be peaceful. What's wrong with him staying there? Why leave behind everything and everyone he has ever known to go to some other reality where none of them exist? If it's about "moving on" Shinji can still do that while continuing to stay in the world that he was a part of for his entire life. A world that he saved.

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:55 am

Shit, is that what happened?

I guess I missed it.

I thought the end showed their actual reality after all the Angels/Eva nonsense was over. They rebuilt their world, just like they built the villages in the pockets of red-free zones.

Clearly some time has passed, so it just seemed to me that the good guys "won" and society rebuilds, and Shinji and Mari are older now and they're a thing.

I didn't take the use of live action to mean anything significant other than it just looked cool, like the live action shots in End of Eva.

Maybe I'm just a "surface level" Eva viewer but that's what the last scene seemed like to me. We won. We grew up. We're responsible adults now. We still remember the sacrifices of our friends (glimpse of Koworu and Rei) but the future's looking bright, so let's go run outside while Utada Hikaru sings a tasty jam.

Shinichir0
Embryo

Postby Shinichir0 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:58 am

View Original Postos189 wrote:I don't know. I've never met Anno. He seems like a complicated dude.

That's an understatement.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”