Shin Eva leak general

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
os189
Lilith

Re: Shin Eva leak general

Postby os189 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:07 am

View Original PostKeiji wrote:Thank you for answering all these question. I have just one, is this true :

There are two scenes that will need to be analyzed. When Shinji and Mari meet again on the Wunder Mari teases him by coming up behind him and flirtatiously covering his eyes and asking him to guess who it is. Shinji says he dosen't know but Mari says its someone with cute glasses and a big chest.

The second scene is at the end which mirrors the first scene i mentioned above but Shinji and Mari are older and appear to be in a alternate universe without eva/angles. Mari does the same thing, sneaks up, covers Sinjis eyes, asks him to guess who it is. Tbis time Shinji says its a lady with cute glasses and a big chest. Mari seems to be acting "cute" as well. They don't seem to kiss or hold hands, instead Mari grabs Shinji's wrist and they run off to some destination. Kaoru and Rei are also in this scene but I'm not sure how they factor in.

Thank you for your help. :D

Yes, this is all true. It's the final scene of the movie. They don't kiss, but to me they were definitely "together"...no question about it. I don't know why people who saw think it was ambiguous. They are clearly boyfriend/girlfriend in that scene. I thought they were wearing high school uniforms, and aged up about that much. They didn't seem older to me.

We see Kaoru and Rei on the opposite platform, wearing contemporary clothes. Someone said Asuka was there too but I didn't see her.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:08 am

View Original PostThe Imperialist wrote:They obviously tinkered with Shinji's voice as well.
Different VA for the ending narration, or so I read.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Keiji
Embryo

Postby Keiji » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:08 am

View Original Postos189 wrote:
View Original PostKeiji#913331 wrote:Thank you for answering all these question. I have just one, is this true :

Thank you for your help. :D

Yes, this is all true. It's the final scene of the movie. They don't kiss, but to me they were definitely "together"...no question about it. I don't know why people who saw think it was ambiguous. They are clearly boyfriend/girlfriend in that scene. I thought they were wearing high school uniforms, and aged up about that much. They didn't seem older to me.

We see Kaoru and Rei on the opposite platform, wearing contemporary clothes. Someone said Asuka was there too but I didn't see her.

Thank you ! :D

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:10 am

View Original PostThe Imperialist wrote:I am still confused as to how the Rebuild-verse is properly connected to the EoE ending (it is, spiritually, as we can see from the limited Instrumentality zone in the last 20-30 minutes of the film and due to the presence of the Asuka cloning, physically) and yes, we get the whole meta 'you otakus need to get over this'

I've been talking with someone who watched the movie and here is what he had to say:
Asuka and Shinji talk (he saves her from unit 13, there's a setting similar to beach from EoE) before Shinji departs, they have their conversation and roughly translated Shinji tells her "Thanks for loving me, I love you too, goodbye, and please keep Kensuke safe"

Then I answered:
The "beach conversation" sounds really cool. From your description, it looks like it's not just a farewell between Shinji and Asuka, but also their relationship and the audience. Their struggles relating to each other were the cornerstone of The End of Evangelion and several other segments of the series (episode 15, for example). It truly was the most significant bond of the series. Although Shikinami has nothing to do with Soryu at this point, this feels like a conclusion to the whole thing and I'm satisfied with it. It shows maturity.

Then he answered:
yea exactly, it sort of takes on a meta commentary at that point, the scene is not literally taking place in the original continuity but it's clear that it's also speaking to fans who are familiar with the overarching portrayal of the characters and giving some closure to that relationship. There is a whole lot of other stuff happening in the latter half which feel very much like Anno reflecting on this being his last Eva story and how he's mentally in a better place since his work on the original NGE and EoE. I find it to be pretty powerful because of that, beyond some of the convoluted terminology and lore, the shenanigans of this Rebuild series, there's an emotional pulse which emerges and feels pretty triumphant.

I can't say anything, but it looks more like a "meta connection", rather than a literal one (at least for this scene). I don't know...
Last edited by BernardoCairo on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:11 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:
View Original PostThe Imperialist#913332 wrote:They obviously tinkered with Shinji's voice as well.
Different VA for the ending narration, or so I read.

Reading the pamphlet, I don't think they have a separate credit for mature Shinji (might be mistaken)
I feel old

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:13 am

Still adamant that khara has missed a huge opportunity to simulcast the final film not only catering for the overwhelming international response, in terms of spoiler control.

In a similar vein to how the last game of thrones was shown at the same time around the world just so others don’t get spoiled before. It’s more extreme here as it’s custom for a subtitled version to not drop for a few months after.

I.e. outside of Japan have it pay per view digitally

The forums and socials have been going mad all over the world

Evangelion even trended briefly in the U.K. last night LOL

View Original PostThe Imperialist wrote:
View Original PostMr. Tines#913336 wrote:Different VA for the ending narration, or so I read.

Reading the pamphlet, I don't think they have a separate credit for mature Shinji (might be mistaken)

Should of been Anno voicing adult Shinji

Please do not double post unless it's either necessary or a significant amount of time has passed from your previous post. Thank you.
-Zusuchan

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:16 am

That last beach scene with Asuka is visually identical to EOE but completely opposite in tone.

Shinji is in his school outfit and Asuka is in her plugsuit, which has several large rips in it, but she's not bandaged at all and she has both her eyes.

Shinji says "You know, I like/love you" and she immediately blushes and turns her whole body away from him. I thought that was interesting cause we usually never see her so emotionally open like that.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:18 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:I can't say anything, but it looks more like a "meta connection", rather than a literal one (at least for this scene). I don't know...

It is a much cleaner way of looking at it, but it is possible to infer that Kaworu is looping through different bodies, Shikinami is a clone type derived probably from EoE Asuka (or something similar), so I am inclined towards that there is some sort of physical continuation from EoE to Rebuild.
I feel old

Icosahedron
Embryo

Postby Icosahedron » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:22 am

I'm still trying to mostly skim over things and not spoil 100%, but it seems the movie borrows a lot from EoE and delivers on similar meta and psychadelic elements. The Eva endings have so far all been very meta, so I'm glad to see the movie is at least keeping that similarity to its roots. And with Anno and Khara being such competent technical directors that means the movie can if anything at least be enjoyed for its visuals and assembly. The quote "EoE but explained clearly" does actually sound fun after realising I'm now 20 years older and view things in larger context.

Also it's been a very entertaining day browsing all media sources, the excitement is palpable.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:24 am

While reading the pamphlet was interesting, there are no real explainers here....... however, the VA does state quite clearly that there is a very clear spiritual continuation, and the fact that words like 'Asuka meeting original Asuka (元アスカ)' appears in the Q&A comment section of the pamphlet so I am very inclined to believe that Anno had made it a physical continuation

Also received an extra pamphlet that handily lists out all the new vocab that appears with a scene of Asuka (possibly infused with the spirit of EoE Asuka) haranguing a PTSD ridden and catatonic Shinji

I feel old

IsAnnoGodOrATroll
Adam

Postby IsAnnoGodOrATroll » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:35 am

From all the leaks, reviews, and reactions I've read, plotwise, the film seems to be more or less convoluted like 3.0, but with more rational explanations this time.
Character-wise, it's actually really interesting that Anno chose the meta-narrative side but it seems that most of the characters in this continuity get justice and are handled way better than what people can sum up in a few sentences. The Rebuilds has always been very visually oriented, including handling characters. (Misato's short moment of hesitation in using the DSS Choker from 3.0 and Ritsuko's disappointed but understanding look after she's unable to do it). From what I've read mostly, I'm satisfied with Anno's decisions. The Kensuke-Asuka thing seems to be very lightly implied and not blatantly stated, with much/some room for interpretation ("Take care of Kensuke"), and of course, people had to overthink it because ships and waifus are the most important things here. :facepalm:

The only few things I want to know more about are Mari having more to her backstory, being developed enough to the point of Shinji being with her, and my disappointments that much of the 3rd impact remains ambiguous and unexplained.

Other than that, it seems like a pretty solid movie with orgasmic visuals, animation, and music. Eiga.com has a rating of 4.3/5 for now, which is higher than 2.0 (4.0), 3.0 (3.4), and EOE (3.6). Yes it seems like it's a bit too fanservicey at points like 2.0 and it's not as grotesque or as 'ambitious' as EOE, but I do think it might warrant that 4.3 rating for now, from what I've read.

The only other opinion/review I need to see before finalizing my expectations of this is from someone who loved NGE/EOE and HATED 1.0-3.0. Because most of the reviews I've seen did enjoy/liked NGE+EOE but had the mainstream view for the Rebuilds, aka, more or less enjoying 1.0, LOVING the ever-living shit out of 2.0, and hating 3.0. 'Cause I loved NGE+EOE and think they're one of anime's greatest achievements as a whole while being ambivalent of 1.0, enjoying 2.0 but being irked by just how jerk-offy it felt at times, and while not loving it/liking it enough, was more interested in 3.0's whole dilemma.
Thrice Upon A Goodbye...

melonpan
Embryo

Postby melonpan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:36 am

this is coming out of nowhere a little bit, but if i recall there was no explanation for the coffins on the moon that we saw in 1.0 when kaworu wakes up. i do wonder though, with kaworu being in a timeloop being very probable or true, if that changes how we can look at that scene. i've got no idea if there is any sense to be made if the timeloop is brought in, but it does open things up for analysis in terms of his character and what sort of role he was playing the whole time. but alas, there will be some things that may not be pieced together for a long time, or ever, and thats ok.

it will be very interesting to see what connections can be made, now that there is a definitive end to the material we can work with to put the pieces together!
fan since 2013

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:36 am

So I've been going through some lines and talking directly to other people.

Was I asleep?
I'm glad we met again.
Just this.
I wanted to tell you.
Thank you.
For telling me you liked me.
I liked you too, Asuka.
Goodbye, Asuka.
Say hi to Kensuke for me.

This is through DeepL. People agree that that's about it. Seems there's no explanation from Shinji like "you're toxic", "we're too different" or anything like that. It was just people expanding on describing the leaks, which I knew would happen. Very interesting.

EDIT:
Shinji says "You know, I like/love you" and she immediately blushes and turns her whole body away from him. I thought that was interesting cause we usually never see her so emotionally open like that.

Huh. Yeah, so pretty much a "plot hammer got to you" moment. Kinda like Misakaji in NGE.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:39 am

View Original Postmelonpan wrote:this is coming out of nowhere a little bit, but if i recall there was no explanation for the coffins on the moon that we saw in 1.0 when kaworu wakes up. i do wonder though, with kaworu being in a timeloop being very probable or true, if that changes how we can look at that scene. i've got no idea if there is any sense to be made if the timeloop is brought in, but it does open things up for analysis in terms of his character and what sort of role he was playing the whole time. but alas, there will be some things that may not be pieced together for a long time, or ever, and thats ok.

it will be very interesting to see what connections can be made, now that there is a definitive end to the material we can work with to put the pieces together!

Spoilers, but there is a relatively brief scene of Kaworu's awakening from his perspective (it is Instrumentality psychoanalysis so we might have to take it with a grain of salt), we see multiple coffins from his perspective, and he laments that it is happening again. He also is referred to as a commander in a flash back with Kaji and it is all very strange.
I feel old

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:39 am

View Original PostIcosahedron wrote: The quote "EoE but explained clearly" does actually sound fun after realising I'm now 20 years older and view things in larger context.

Also it's been a very entertaining day browsing all media sources, the excitement is palpable.

Yeah, that's why I've been posting back to back for the last hour or so....the excitement of it is just overwhelming.

In 1997, I was 19 years old, in college, watching this series on mostly bootleg VHS tapes that had no subtitles, desperately trying to follow along with a giant stack of papers that was the English script that I'd printed off in the campus computer lab. End of Evangelion was just coming out in Japan and we didn't have instant communication then. We could only imagine what that last movie was gonna be like. I think it might have been almost a year before a bootlegged copy finally found its way to me. The internet was in its infancy back then. The world felt a lot bigger and more alien. I remember sitting in my dorm room with Evangelion posters I'd bought at conventions and trying to think of what it must be like for people in Japan to be able to go to the theater and experience the movie the way it was meant to be.

And now here I am, a middle-aged man that's spent more than a decade living here and experiencing it all for myself. And Evangelion played no small role in my decision to come here in the first place. I'll never forget my first miserable humid summer here, and hearing the cicadas, and thinking how it was just like Evangelion.

So I apologize for getting so off topic, but it's been a surreal and beautiful experience for me to be able to see 2.0, 3.0, and now Thrice all on opening day. What seemed like an impossible fantasy to me is my reality now. It's crazy how life works out.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:47 am

View Original PostThe Imperialist wrote:Also received an extra pamphlet that handily lists out all the new vocab that appears with a scene of Asuka (possibly infused with the spirit of EoE Asuka) haranguing a PTSD ridden and catatonic Shinji

Say what now? Is that a deleted scene?

melonpan
Embryo

Postby melonpan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:48 am

View Original PostIsAnnoGodOrATroll wrote:From all the leaks, reviews, and reactions I've read, plotwise, the film seems to be more or less convoluted like 3.0, but with more rational explanations this time.
Character-wise, it's actually really interesting that Anno chose the meta-narrative side but it seems that most of the characters in this continuity get justice and are handled way better than what people can sum up in a few sentences. The Rebuilds has always been very visually oriented, including handling characters. (Misato's short moment of hesitation in using the DSS Choker from 3.0 and Ritsuko's disappointed but understanding look after she's unable to do it). From what I've read mostly, I'm satisfied with Anno's decisions. The Kensuke-Asuka thing seems to be very lightly implied and not blatantly stated, with much/some room for interpretation ("Take care of Kensuke"), and of course, people had to overthink it because ships and waifus are the most important things here. :facepalm:

i agree with this take! i am excited to take note of all the visual queues that will most definitely indicate something about the plot or characters

View Original PostIsAnnoGodOrATroll wrote:The only other opinion/review I need to see before finalizing my expectations of this is from someone who loved NGE/EOE and HATED 1.0-3.0. Because most of the reviews I've seen did enjoy/liked NGE+EOE but had the mainstream view for the Rebuilds, aka, more or less enjoying 1.0, LOVING the ever-living shit out of 2.0, and hating 3.0. 'Cause I loved NGE+EOE and think they're one of anime's greatest achievements as a whole while being ambivalent of 1.0, enjoying 2.0 but being irked by just how jerk-offy it felt at times, and while not loving it/liking it enough, was more interested in 3.0's whole dilemma.

i think i have the same stance on the series as you do. NGE+EOE are amazing, I do happen to really enjoy 1.0 because of how its executed (it feels very satisfying to watch and finish), 2.0 is fun and yeah it went a little crazy but I do love it, and I just adore 3.0 (I know this is controversial, but it really shouldnt be. its not a bad film nor do i think its a bad Eva film. i find it very artistic in its storytelling and I love the melancholic atmosphere throughout the whole thing. the only mistake i think they made was not explaining anything that happened in the time skip. but these are my opinions and personal feelings towards the film)
fan since 2013

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:49 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:
The Imperialist wrote:Also received an extra pamphlet that handily lists out all the new vocab that appears with a scene of Asuka (possibly infused with the spirit of EoE Asuka) haranguing a PTSD ridden and catatonic Shinji

It shows Shinji sleeping in a warehouse or factory and Asuka is looking over him. Since she's wearing a jacket and no pants, I think that takes place in the village.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Melkor » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:49 am

What does Shinji mean by say hi to Kensuke? Does this mean Kensuke died too, and Shinji is saying goodbye to Asuka before she passes on the the afterlife or something?

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:54 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:
View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:

It shows Shinji sleeping in a warehouse or factory and Asuka is looking over him. Since she's wearing a jacket and no pants, I think that takes place in the village.

It is straight from the village scene, as per above.
I feel old

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”