Shin Eva leak general

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
moogletime27
Embryo

Re: Shin Eva leak general

Postby moogletime27 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:36 am

View Original Postshingenesis wrote:Personally I would think these movies more or less reflects Anno's psyche and mental status. With the success of Shin Godzilla and the upcoming Shin Ultraman, this is got to be Anno's happiest days by far. And it shows when characters in Evangelion would grow up to be proper adults, have families, adapting the harsh new world (post N3I) with optimism, bravery, and hearty communication while Shinji&Co starting to take responsibilities for their past and present. Compare this to EoE where people would prefer murdering each other (including Shinji) and no one except Misato would be at Shinji's side, one can tell that Anno is pretty much in a state of depression back then.
(Also Anno's other depression around Q shows up in Q's tones as well)

Yeah, the video also gave the impression that it seems like Anno's improving circumstances bleed into this film and that's absolutely fine. I'm really happy he's doing well. But if that was the goal of this movie, I wish they had approached it differently. I feel like saying "It's EoE but happy this time" does a bit of a disservice to what EoE had to say. I feel like the message is conveyed better in the series and EoE precisely because it's coming from a very real and raw place, but it still ends with them choosing to live on.

I dunno, I just think "everything sucks and I'm not happy, but I choose to keep living because I believe I can be some day" is a stronger thematic conclusion than what appears to be going on with this movie. Having someone else undo the horrors and it all turns out peaceful and super happy... it just doesn't sound like it'll work for me. I definitely need to see it myself, but if these impressions are true and it's really just "we spend most of the movie in a Ghibli film and then visually undo EoE to make everything happy"... I'll stick to EoE. Working through the bad to find the good is better than undoing the bad.

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:36 am

I got here late so I don't know what's been revealed already.....I saw the 12:45 show so people that saw it at 8 this morning have probably been writing for hours.

Did someone already talk about what's behind Asuka's eyepatch?

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:38 am

Not in any great detail, no. I saw something about a tube ejecting out of her eye?
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:41 am

View Original Postos189 wrote:Did someone already talk about what's behind Asuka's eyepatch?
I don't think so, at least, not here.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:41 am

I lol at the doublethink surrounding Asuka

"She can't be with Shinji because she is older despite looking young, but she can't be with someone her age because she looks young"

Also the twitterati is never going to accept a good ending for Shinji outside of kawoshin. Knowing their thought processes, every other possibility equals meltdown since Shinji hits the cancel culture checklist in several different ways. And that's all I'm going to say about the issue, over and out.
Last edited by Heaven Piercing Man on Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Jinroh » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:42 am

My post seemed to have disappeared, strange... is it because of the password?

Anyway, it was a few questions:

View Original Postos189 wrote:Any questions?

I have a few questions that come to mind.

1) Is there anything about Rei 2 at all? After all, Shinji started third impact to save her.
2) Do they elaborate on the third impact events?
3) What's the point with the FOIs? Are they sentient? Or are they just here to revert back to humans?
4) What's up with the Wunder / black Wunder?
5) Anything was kept from the 4+1 preview?
6) What is the role of Evangelion Mark.10? Nobody has talked aobut it yet.

Thank you.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

Postby Jäeger » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:43 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Not in any great detail, no. I saw something about a tube ejecting out of her eye?

:cringe:
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:43 am

View Original Postmoogletime27 wrote:
View Original Postshingenesis#913277 wrote:Personally I would think these movies more or less reflects Anno's psyche and mental status. With the success of Shin Godzilla and the upcoming Shin Ultraman, this is got to be Anno's happiest days by far. And it shows when characters in Evangelion would grow up to be proper adults, have families, adapting the harsh new world (post N3I) with optimism, bravery, and hearty communication while Shinji&Co starting to take responsibilities for their past and present. Compare this to EoE where people would prefer murdering each other (including Shinji) and no one except Misato would be at Shinji's side, one can tell that Anno is pretty much in a state of depression back then.
(Also Anno's other depression around Q shows up in Q's tones as well)

Yeah, the video also gave the impression that it seems like Anno's improving circumstances bleed into this film and that's absolutely fine. I'm really happy he's doing well. But if that was the goal of this movie, I wish they had approached it differently. I feel like saying "It's EoE but happy this time" does a bit of a disservice to what EoE had to say. I feel like the message is conveyed better in the series and EoE precisely because it's coming from a very real and raw place, but it still ends with them choosing to live on.

I dunno, I just think "everything sucks and I'm not happy, but I choose to keep living because I believe I can be some day" is a stronger thematic conclusion than what appears to be going on with this movie. Having someone else undo the horrors and it all turns out peaceful and super happy... it just doesn't sound like it'll work for me. I definitely need to see it myself, but if these impressions are true and it's really just "we spend most of the movie in a Ghibli film and then visually undo EoE to make everything happy"... I'll stick to EoE. Working through the bad to find the good is better than undoing the bad.

End of Evangelion is sheer brutality from start to finish. It's mean, it's ugly, and it's a nightmare.

When it came out as the conclusion to my beloved anime series in 1997, I was HORRIFIED.

But something happened over the years....the more I watched it, the more I loved it. The more it just felt "right." It's no less ugly at all, but it just feels "right" to end it all that way. I definitely consider it a masterpiece and I can't wait to finally own it on a physical disc with English subtitles in HD, hopefully later this year. I still have the only Manga Video DVD and the picture is shit for such a visually magnificent film.

All in all, I still prefer the TV series and EOE. That's the real story.

This "re-imagining" was fun, especially in 2.0 which is just fucking brilliant.....but at the end of the day, it just feels like George Lucas endlessly tinkering with Star Wars and making it worse when we all loved it just fine the way it was.

There's a lot to love in this new movie. I mean hell, it was SOOOO long, there was SOOOO much going on. I can't even process everything I saw. But it's never going to replace the originals in my heart.

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Melkor » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:45 am

If Mari is a clone too like Rei and Asuka (likely given their last names all end with -nami), that might explain why she seemingly hasn't aged since meeting Gendo and Yui in college, because the Mari we see now is not the original that met Gendo and Yui in college, but rather a clone of her. Perhaps the original Mari's name was Maria Iscariot, the name which Fuyutsuki called her by in some of the earlier leaks. If Mari is a clone of this Maria person and Rei is a clone of Yui, then following this pattern could Asuka be a clone of Kyoko?

I'm okay with the prospect of Shinji and Mari, kind of, sort of, maybe becoming a thing, if that's what the last scene with them was implying, but does the movie at least develop them first by giving them plenty of interactions throughout the film, or is that scene with them on the beach the only meaningful interaction they have in the entire movie and it just came out of nowhere with no build-up? As long as they made it believable and it was given enough time to grow and properly develop throughout the course of the movie, that's what matters.
Last edited by Melkor on Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:46 am

Why do they have to "compete"?
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

ArtyumR
Adam

Postby ArtyumR » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:46 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:
Yeah, I see the point....but that makes him a shitty writter. I'll save my opinion until watching the movie.

I had my doubts for a long time but 3.0+1.0 confirmed my suspicious, is there another explanation to this madness?

Asuka is a clone now which is a lazy excuse to write about dolls and Yada Yada..
Rei Q ended up being Rei 2.0 (same character arc) even when they affirmed for over 9 years that she wouldn't.
Loop theory confirmed not only that but heavily implies this is a sequel of the original show.
The character that basically had no traits, backstory ended up being his "wife" because meta.

DaCourier
Embryo

Postby DaCourier » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:48 am

View Original PostArtyumR wrote:
View Original PostJäeger#913281 wrote:
Yeah, I see the point....but that makes him a shitty writter. I'll save my opinion until watching the movie.

I had my doubts for a long time but 3.0+1.0 confirmed my suspicious, is there another explanation to this madness?

Asuka is a clone now which is a lazy excuse to write about dolls and Yada Yada..
Rei Q ended up being Rei 2.0 (same character arc) even when they affirmed for over 9 years that she wouldn't.
Loop theory confirmed not only that but heavily implies this is a sequel of the original show.
The character that basically had no traits, backstory ended up being his "wife" because meta.

Mari has some traits and backstory that can be read closely but eh, each on their own on what they want.

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:51 am

View Original PostJinroh wrote:My post seemed to have disappeared, strange... is it because of the password?

Anyway, it was a few questions:

View Original Postos189#913244 wrote:Any questions?

I have a few questions that come to mind.

1) Is there anything about Rei 2 at all? After all, Shinji started third impact to save her.
2) Do they elaborate on the third impact events?
3) What's the point with the FOIs? Are they sentient? Or are they just here to revert back to humans?
4) What's up with the Wunder / black Wunder?
5) Anything was kept from the 4+1 preview?
6) What is the role of Evangelion Mark.10? Nobody has talked aobut it yet.

Thank you.

I wish I had better answers but my Japanese is too lousy to follow the fast dialogue, but I'll give my best answers to what I THINK was going on, visually.

1. Yes, Rei 2 comes back, but only as a spirit, tied to Unit 01. At least, I THINK that was her. She's naked and her hair is really long. Ultimately, she appears to Shinji and talks to him, but no, she doesn't come back to life.

2. Yes, they talk about second impact, third impact, fourth impact....I only know this cause they kept saying it over and over in English!

3. What are FOIs?

4. The black looking Wunder is one of two ships controlled by Gendo/NERV that attack the Wunder.

5. Damn...can't remember the previews. As far as the preview at the very end of 3.0 with the half and half Eva, that's not in it at all, but I think we all figured that out years ago.

6. There's a few new "bad" Evas....some with skulls for heads and some that look like variations on Mari's pink Eva. None of them do anything significant....they just fight the good guys, and one of them infects the Wunder with it's blue blood and takes over the controls.

Asuka and Mari's Evas do craaaaazy new stuff, like Beast Mode on steroids.

But the main battle is Eva 13 (Gendo) vs Eva 01 (Shinji) and the battle is mostly metaphysical and breaks the fourth wall a lot.

View Original PostMelkor wrote:If Mari is a clone too like Rei and Asuka (likely given their last names all end with -nami), that might explain why she seemingly hasn't aged since meeting Gendo and Yui in college, because the Mari we see now is not the original that met Gendo and Yui in college, but rather a clone of her. Perhaps the original Mari's name was Maria Iscariot, the name which Fuyutsuki called her by in some of the earlier leaks. If Mari is a clone of this Maria person and Rei is a clone of Yui, then following this pattern could Asuka be a clone of Kyoko?

I'm okay with the prospect of Shinji and Mari, kind of, sort of, maybe becoming a thing, if that's what the last scene with them was implying, but does the movie at least develop them first by giving them plenty of interactions throughout the film, or is that scene with them on the beach the only meaningful interaction they have in the entire movie and it just came out of nowhere with no build-up? As long as it's believable and was given enough time to grow, that's what matters.

No real meaningful interaction between them other than her rubbing her giant boobs on his back and saying "Hey remember me?"

Then at the end, she pops out of the water in her school girl outfit, her hair down and her glasses off, and her white shirt is clinging to her body....it's like an 80s beer commercial. Then Shinji's like "Yay, you're alive!"

Then we flash to them actually being a few years older and they seem like a real, happy couple cause Shinji seems confident for the first time in his life. Because of that, it felt right to me. Then boom. Credits. Not much time to really process any of it to be honest.

She really is a "Mari" Sue isn't she? Comes in out of nowhere, is perfect, no flaws, everyone loves her.

She does have a scene with Fuyutski that was realllllly damn important but of course I couldn't follow what the hell they were saying. (They had a conversation, it was implied they go way back, then he "popped" into LCL like in EOE. He is only one of two characters that popped that way unlike everyone doing it in EOE.)

Big Ben
Embryo

Postby Big Ben » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:02 am

Is something explained regarding the 4 Adams and what is the Key of nebukadnezzar?

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:05 am

View Original Postshingenesis wrote:About tying up EoE loose ends, I was refering to the AsuShin relationship that was left hanging and ambiguous on the beach, but in 3.0+1.0 Shinji finally tells Asuka that he loved her on a scene extremely similar to EoE beach, but with NTE moon.

I am confused now. This is certainly a call back, but there's no actual connection to that continuity, is there?

I still find it interesting. It's validating their relationship in a meta sense, but says it won't work within that continuity, because of the plot reasons. I guess.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:06 am

I guess the best way I would put my concern at this point (Obv. not making any actual true judgements until I see the movie) is that the idea of "Evangelion, but with fairly happy resolution" is basically the only version of Evangelion that's been made post-EoE (With 3.0 being the brief oasis in this particular desert of time) for like 20 years at this point so it just doesn't inherently hold much novelty for me. Like even just by going what's available in officially licensed products that you can consume in English there's the various manga versions and at least three Super Robot Wars games you can play where Shinji finds happy endings. This is to say nothing of all the fanfiction and such out there that I'm sure is out there that also uses a variation of the same idea.

What gives me hope is that Anno will still execute the idea much better than SRW writers or Sadamoto and so on. Like even just the blurry screenshots going around from the promo book things look gorgeous, so I'm extremely excited for the movie on a formal level at least.
Last edited by The Killer of Heroes on Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:06 am

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Jinroh » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:07 am

Thank you for your replies!

View Original Postos189 wrote:3. What are FOIs?

The headless red evas that turn white and float around. Are they active in some way? In the previews Asuka is shooting at them.

View Original Postos189 wrote:4. The black looking Wunder is one of two ships controlled by Gendo/NERV that attack the Wunder.

I hope we'll get some explanations as to what these ships actually are... I don't understand how they can come up with such equipment in a devastated world when they struggled against the angels with a few evas when everything was fine.

View Original Postos189 wrote:6. There's a few new "bad" Evas....some with skulls for heads and some that look like variations on Mari's pink Eva. None of them do anything significant....they just fight the good guys, and one of them infects the Wunder with it's blue blood and takes over the controls.

Mark.10 is the yellow eva with a black cross on her face. She's probably the one infecting the Wunder... so she has a similar role to mark.09 in the previous movie?

Shinichir0
Embryo

Postby Shinichir0 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:09 am

What a strange way to end the films. Well, I guess when your sole reason for making them is "destroying Eva" and making money, that's what you get.

PainXIII12
Adam

Postby PainXIII12 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:12 am

View Original PostShinichir0 wrote:What a strange way to end the films. Well, I guess when your sole reason for making them is "destroying Eva" and making money, that's what you get.

Oh come on... you don't give Anno enough credit.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”