Shin Eva leak general

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
PainXIII12
Adam

Re: Shin Eva leak general

Postby PainXIII12 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:08 am

View Original Postos189 wrote:
View Original PostPainXIII12#913256 wrote:Anyword on Komm Susser Todd playing??

Was not in it at all, but there was a new song during what was essentially the same scene.....the formation of the big giant Rei was almost exactly like EOE but with different animation. I personally preferred it in EOE. It wasn't as horrific this time around.

aw. I could've sworn Megumi Ogata was going to perform it. maybe it was taken out at the last minute.

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:11 am

View Original Postmoogletime27 wrote:I watched the youtube video posted two or so pages ago and read some impressions on Twitter and I'm not sure how I feel. Withholding actual thoughts until I see the movie myself, but I'm really hesitant about some of what I'm hearing. The thing that really rubbed me the wrong way in the youtube video is the guy describing the finale as "EoE in reverse", and saying that EoE ends very angry, and this movie ends happy and the characters finally get to be happy and it's a happy ending.

But I really dislike that reading of EoE (and NGE in general). I always viewed latter NGE and EoE as someone getting through depression delivering a message of hope to others who may be struggling themselves. A lot of bad things happen and it all almost ends, but the notion that if you choose to live there will always be a chance for happiness is something I find really powerful, and I think it hits home because of everything that happens to lead up to it. Granted, EoE's final scene is of course ambiguous in a lot of ways.

I'm fine if Rebuild wants to be it's own thing and have it's own happy ending, but if the final movie is just "End of Eva but happy this time" I feel like that's less powerful than how EoE did it in the first place.

It's "happier" that's for damn sure, but I wouldn't say it's exactly "happy." After all, a lot of characters are dead.

But that's a good way to put it, that it was the last 20 minutes of EOE but flipped around a bit.

The very last scene is happy. But then "Last Kiss" starts playing and you realize that Evangelion is over forever, and the sadness hits the center of your chest like a ton of bricks.

View Original PostMelkor wrote:Is the thing about the pilots all being clones true? Is it all of them, or just some of them? If it's just some, which are clones and which aren't?

My Japanese is too shitty to confirm, but it seemed to clearly show that Rei and Asuka were clones, and there was something very suspicious and special about Mari.

Please do not double post unless it's either necessary or a significant amount of time has passed from your previous post. Thank you.
-Zusuchan

ArtyumR
Adam

Postby ArtyumR » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:16 am

View Original Postos189 wrote:
View Original PostZethus Thorne#913239 wrote:So I hear that Rei Q cries in a scene in 3.0 + 1.0?

She cries. She does a lot more. She becomes human.

And then died not having a role in the rest of the movie which makes her irrelevant, why is she in this movie again?

Khara didn't even give her a new name.
Rei Q: give me a name, ikari-kun.
Shinji: "Ayanami is Ayanami"
(well there it goes "tentative name:Rei Ayanami") she has been always been Rei Ayanami... Lol.

"I learned how to love.... Again"
"OK my character arc has concluded.. Bye bye"

I'm mad at this situation because tsurumaki told us that he had a plan and that's why "her soul" was "preserved"
So Rei Q wouldn't be Rei 3.0 reloaded but she ended up being just that..

This is infuriating, just keep Rei 2.0 then.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

Postby Jäeger » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:18 am

View Original Postshingenesis wrote:
A good example would be the supposed Mari-Shin "romantic" relationship. The Shinji-Gendo dialogue that eerily resembles NGE shenanigans shows on-screen that it was Mari that took Gendo's earbuds off when he was in university so he would notice (and later opens up to) Yui. Many years later she would find an interest in setting up AsuShin in Q and 3.0+1.0. (Which ultimately did not work out as both Asuka and Shinji admits that the 14-year difference means Shinji can no longer save and protect a much older Asuka, and that torch is passed onto Kensuke who is implied to have supported Asuka for 14 actual years.)

So an Asushin relationship doesn't work because the 14 years gap......but a MariShin or AsuKen ones do?

My god, Anno can do whatever he wants with his toy, but that has no sense.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:19 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:
View Original Postshingenesis#913216 wrote:
A good example would be the supposed Mari-Shin "romantic" relationship. The Shinji-Gendo dialogue that eerily resembles NGE shenanigans shows on-screen that it was Mari that took Gendo's earbuds off when he was in university so he would notice (and later opens up to) Yui. Many years later she would find an interest in setting up AsuShin in Q and 3.0+1.0. (Which ultimately did not work out as both Asuka and Shinji admits that the 14-year difference means Shinji can no longer save and protect a much older Asuka, and that torch is passed onto Kensuke who is implied to have supported Asuka for 14 actual years.)

So an Asushin relationship doesn't work because the 14 years gap......but a MariShin or AsuKen ones do?

I'm feeling a lot of that tonight, all these mixed messages
Last edited by ChaddyManPrime on Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

moogletime27
Embryo

Postby moogletime27 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:19 am

View Original Postos189 wrote:It's "happier" that's for damn sure, but I wouldn't say it's exactly "happy." After all, a lot of characters are dead.

But that's a good way to put it, that it was the last 20 minutes of EOE but flipped around a bit.

The very last scene is happy. But then "Last Kiss" starts playing and you realize that Evangelion is over forever, and the sadness hits the center of your chest like a ton of bricks.

My relationship with Evangelion is probably different from most people here. I watched the show like twelve or thirteen years ago or so when I was nearing the end of high school. I only watched it the once, but I've watched End of Eva maybe four or five times in the past decade. I think it's a fantastic movie and as someone who struggles with depression it always hits different depending on the mood I'm in, but in general I find it's themes and message to be hopeful. Same with the last two episodes of the show itself.

I didn't watch any of the Rebuild movies until this past year though, because I always felt like Evangelion already ended just fine and I didn't want to wait too long between movies. I definitely enjoyed watching Rebuild, but I don't have 12 years of build-up to it's final movie, so I don't think the fact it's over will hit me in quite the same way. I'm more interested in engaging with the movie on a thematic level. Since it's tied itself to "undoing" End of Eva thematically, at least from what I can gather, I'm pretty hesitant.

Appreciate the input, though, of course. It's why I'm here.

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:20 am

I guess when it was all over, the thing that kind of flashed through my head was......"Why?"

When this project first started waaaay back in 2007 I thought the same thing. Why? Why take this awesome series and just clean up the animation a little...it's so pointless.

Then 2.0 came out and blew my mind outta the back of my head and I said "YES!! This is more like it!!! This is NEW, this is FUN!"

Unfortunately, I thought 3.0 sucked and I still think it sucks.

So that brings us to the conclusion of this very bizarre journey. The first half is sllloooooow and very very Ghibli like. It's not bad, but it's slow. It's gonna take a lot of patience to rewatch it.

Then we get to the second half and it's essentially End of Evangelion on meth, but without the truly horrific elements. (I considered the brutal murder of all the NERV staff as horrifying, as well as all the body horror elements with the Evas eating Unit 02 and mutating and the Giant Rei and people popping into piles of yellow goo.)

There was SOME of that in this one, but not as bad. None of the graphic murdering like we saw in EOE. I think it was weirder than EOE, if possible, but not as disturbing. But the plot was very very similar.

Also, surely someone must have mentioned the copious naked ass shots and side titty...it was nonstop. And Mari's boobs are even bigger than ever and she rubs 'em all over Shinji. I can already see the angry twitter mob demanding this to never be released in America.

DaCourier
Embryo

Postby DaCourier » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:22 am

Actually, it's because he admits they don't work as an item because of their huge differences, so it's not as much of a year gap.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:23 am

View Original Postos189 wrote:I guess when it was all over, the thing that kind of flashed through my head was......"Why?"

When this project first started waaaay back in 2007 I thought the same thing. Why? Why take this awesome series and just clean up the animation a little...it's so pointless.

Then 2.0 came out and blew my mind outta the back of my head and I said "YES!! This is more like it!!! This is NEW, this is FUN!"

Unfortunately, I thought 3.0 sucked and I still think it sucks.

So that brings us to the conclusion of this very bizarre journey. The first half is sllloooooow and very very Ghibli like. It's not bad, but it's slow. It's gonna take a lot of patience to rewatch it.

Then we get to the second half and it's essentially End of Evangelion on meth, but without the truly horrific elements. (I considered the brutal murder of all the NERV staff as horrifying, as well as all the body horror elements with the Evas eating Unit 02 and mutating and the Giant Rei and people popping into piles of yellow goo.)

There was SOME of that in this one, but not as bad. None of the graphic murdering like we saw in EOE. I think it was weirder than EOE, if possible, but not as disturbing. But the plot was very very similar.

Also, surely someone must have mentioned the copious naked ass shots and side titty...it was nonstop. And Mari's boobs are even bigger than ever and she rubs 'em all over Shinji. I can already see the angry twitter mob demanding this to never be released in America.

Oh Jesus I am going to bed, night everyone, be well. Ooooooof this hits hard
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:25 am

It sounds like it's because of their expectations out of the relationship between the two of them. Mari and Asuka kept badgering him about protecting or helping her in 3.0, but the change in dynamics and age gap make it so that it's not possible for that to work, so they have to let it go. Asuka's better suited to protecting him rather than the other way around, and she's more mature/experienced than he is. Kensuke's been around to help Asuka out while Shinji wasn't, and Mari doesn't want him to protect her, so they have different expectations from each other.

Also, people being surprised that Anno loves some T&A fanservice. :lol:
Last edited by BlueBasilisk on Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

shingenesis
Embryo

Postby shingenesis » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:26 am

View Original Postmoogletime27 wrote:I always viewed latter NGE and EoE as someone getting through depression delivering a message of hope to others who may be struggling themselves. A lot of bad things happen and it all almost ends, but the notion that if you choose to live there will always be a chance for happiness is something I find really powerful, and I think it hits home because of everything that happens to lead up to it. Granted, EoE's final scene is of course ambiguous in a lot of ways.

I'm fine if Rebuild wants to be it's own thing and have it's own happy ending, but if the final movie is just "End of Eva but happy this time" I feel like that's less powerful than how EoE did it in the first place.

Personally I would think these movies more or less reflects Anno's psyche and mental status. With the success of Shin Godzilla and the upcoming Shin Ultraman, this is got to be Anno's happiest days by far. And it shows when characters in Evangelion would grow up to be proper adults, have families, adapting the harsh new world (post N3I) with optimism, bravery, and hearty communication while Shinji&Co starting to take responsibilities for their past and present. Compare this to EoE where people would prefer murdering each other (including Shinji) and no one except Misato would be at Shinji's side, one can tell that Anno is pretty much in a state of depression back then.
(Also Anno's other depression around Q shows up in Q's tones as well)

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:26 am

Also, it's still very hard to give two shits about the crew members of the Wunder considering we don't know a damn thing about any of them, and all they do is scream at each other.

I still think the Wunder is the single ugliest spaceship design in all of science fiction. Damn that thing's ugly.

ArtyumR
Adam

Postby ArtyumR » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:28 am

It's not supposed to make sense, it just meta for being meta.
Anno: "I'm married now and that makes me happy all that is because I found someone who loves me unconditionally."

So Mari = moyoco anno.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

Postby Jäeger » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:30 am

View Original PostDaCourier#913274 wrote:
Actually, it's because he admits they don't work as an item because of their huge differences, so it's not as much of a year gap.

So of course is gonna work waaaaaaay better with a character who only shared a minute of screentime with him for three movies.

Or between a 28 years old Kensuke and a teenager.

Mari felt a shoehorned character from the beginning and......here is the answer

View Original PostArtyumR wrote:
It's not supposed to make sense, it just meta for being meta.
Anno: "I'm married now and that makes me happy all that is because I found someone who loves me unconditionally."

So Mari = moyoco anno.
[/quote]

Yeah, I see the point....but that makes him a shitty writter. I'll save my opinion until watching the movie.
Last edited by Jäeger on Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:31 am

I reckon this movie is going to be slated by many but then viewed as a masterpiece upon a reevaluation

os189
Lilith

Postby os189 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:31 am

I've always felt that it's pointless to truly analyze the "meaning" of Evangelion beyond basically the first half of the original TV series.

To me, the simplest explanation is probably true....Anno started getting credit for being some mad genius, it went to his head, and he had to keep trying to top himself and make things weirder and wackier til it all completely spiraled out of control. That's just my own personal theory. Until he comes out and flat out says "Oh this means this, and I did that cause I was angry/sad" I'm not gonna speculate on what it could mean or what was going on in the dude's head.

I DO think he's a brilliant artist and animator and director. Kinda like David Lynch. I usually don't have a clue what the hell is going on, but I love looking at it.

Surely there's a big overlap of Twin Peaks and Evangelion fans, that can just theorize for weeks straight about all the mysteries of both bizarre series.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

Postby Jäeger » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:32 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:I reckon this movie is going to be slated by many but then viewed as a masterpiece upon a reevaluation

It can be well executed as a movie, but as the conclusion of a tetralogy.....
Last edited by Jäeger on Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaCourier
Embryo

Postby DaCourier » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:33 am

View Original PostDaCourier#913274 wrote:

So of course is gonna work waaaaaaay better with a character who only shared a minute of screentime for thre movies.

Or between a 28 years old Kensuke and a teenager.

Mari felt a shoehorned character from the beginning and......here is the answer

Or merely because the character was the one who was kind and loving to him from the get go.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:34 am

View Original Postos189 wrote:That's just my own personal theory. Until he comes out and flat out says "Oh this means this, and I did that cause I was angry/sad" I'm not gonna speculate on what it could mean or what was going on in the dude's head.

Even when he does do that, people call him a liar or say he has an ulterior motive.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

DaCourier
Embryo

Postby DaCourier » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:35 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:I reckon this movie is going to be slated by many but then viewed as a masterpiece upon a reevaluation

Well, most of Japanese social media is already viewing it as a masterpiece so...maybe as a Western perspective.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”