Shin Eva leak general

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Shin Eva leak general

Postby Jinroh » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:06 am

Anything about potential eva series, what the fois are / their role, the Adams, what the Wunder is, etc? I suspect we'll be left with plenty of unanswered questions.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Derantor » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:07 am

View Original Postshingenesis wrote:Asuka mentions in A-part (3rd village) that Shinji needs a motherly figure instead of a lover, and Mari eventually becomes Shinji's half-elder-sister, half-mother figure in his life, which is more family than romantic.

Which makes much more sense. If Mari was around when Gendo was still in Uni, she's his senior by quite some years.

What do you mean by "Tying up lose ends from EoE", though? Afaik, there isn't really a connection there - or did you mean thematically?

Edit: Any idea who that Giant Naked Somebody is we keep hearing about? Oh, and: welcome to the forums! ^_^
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:08 am

This is disturbing lol

The point is breaking Shinji from his Oedipus complex, not finding a replacement mother, Jesus Christ, why Anno? This is regression
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

DaCourier
Embryo

Postby DaCourier » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:13 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:This is disturbing lol

The point is breaking Shinji from his Oedipus complex, not finding a replacement mother, Jesus Christ, why Anno? This is regression

It's an interpretation anyway, so it's best to wait to see what Anno says about it.

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Melkor » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:14 am

Wait, so Mari knew Gendo and Yui while they were in college? That's pretty much what happened in the bonus chapter from the end of the manga. Does this mean that chapter is actually canon? I thought Sadamoto said it wasn't and not to take it too seriously because it was something he did just for fun. So did he basically spoil a huge revelation from the movie years before it even came out?
Last edited by Melkor on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

Postby bladerj » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:15 am

View Original Postshingenesis wrote:
View Original Posthui43210#913196 wrote:Just found out Sakura shoots at Shinji, but Misato takes the bullet for him....... So much for my crackpot ship :rofl:

That being true, Sakura also states explicitly she is shooting to wound (and not kill) Shinji in order to stop him from getting into Unit01 again, because she believes that is far better and happier than to face the unknown results if Shinji reuniting with Eva01.
Also judging from Asuka's comment on how Sakura cries as if she is Shinji's wife when Shinji wakes up again on Wunder, we can safely say that the Sakura ship is most definitely still afloat!

or they are brothers ? if you remove sakura longer hair, her face is basically Shinji in Q.
ANATA BAKA !?

Kid
Embryo

Postby Kid » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:16 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:This is disturbing lol

Being motherly isn't the same as being a replacement mother. Mari is independent, like Asuka, but accommodating, like Rei.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:21 am

Kid, I ain't gonna argue with you on what think the word motherly means

Oh fuck dudes oh fuck oh god

There has to be more coming, it's not that it is bad, it is just baffling in its execution, like just made hodge podge of different scripts then forced them together to follow a linear path
Last edited by ChaddyManPrime on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

Postby bladerj » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:21 am

View Original Postshingenesis wrote:-part (3rd village) that Shinji needs a motherly figure instead of a lover, and Mari eventually becomes Shinji's half-elder-sister, half-mother figure in his life, which is more family than romantic. .

wich is precisely why he shoulndt had killed Misato again ! common......disfunctional family are the best family, ask cowboy bebop fans.
ANATA BAKA !?

shingenesis
Embryo

Postby shingenesis » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:21 am

View Original PostRahulBhatia10 wrote:
View Original Postmastervampire wrote:So is there a link to EoE ?
yeah that's what I'm super curious about, like it's literally the red lcl ocean from EoE and Shinji shows up there to make his feelings clear? I could picture it being a sort of sequence in this film's version of an instrumentality sequence...

It is.
In fact, Anno pulls A LOT of stuff from NGE and EoE in the movie, including but not limited to:
Giant White Ayanami emerging from below (from Antarctica's Gate of Hell), bundles with the exact same shots in EoE, wings and all.
Shinji-Gendo dialogue that highly resembles NGE train scenes and EoE Ocean of LCL scenes, except Gendo is the one acting depressed when he talks about his rather sad and lonely young life (with implied abusive parents) and how meeting Yui saved him and losing Yui wrecked him.
Shinji using instrumentality to save everyone else, reverting everyone's souls from FoIs in an identical shot to EoE's black moon breaking apart.
Shinji literally telling Asuka on the EoE beach that he loved her. (definite past tense)
Shinji taking Rei's hand a la Sadamoto's comic style, with the EoE shot of all NGE+EoE(+NTE) episode titles flashing on the background.
Shinji telling Kaworu sitting on the NGE angel statue that he now remembers that he used to meet him there (the NGE location) many times before. And Kaworu replies he used wrote addendums to the "Book of Life" (his way of calling Dead Sea Scrolls?) so everything would happen again (because SEELE would treat Dead Sea Scrolls as absolute truth and act accordingly?).

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:25 am

View Original Postshingenesis wrote:
View Original PostRahulBhatia10#913212 wrote: yeah that's what I'm super curious about, like it's literally the red lcl ocean from EoE and Shinji shows up there to make his feelings clear? I could picture it being a sort of sequence in this film's version of an instrumentality sequence...

It is.
In fact, Anno pulls A LOT of stuff from NGE and EoE in the movie, including but not limited to:
Giant White Ayanami emerging from below (from Antarctica's Gate of Hell), bundles with the exact same shots in EoE, wings and all.
Shinji-Gendo dialogue that highly resembles NGE train scenes and EoE Ocean of LCL scenes, except Gendo is the one acting depressed when he talks about his rather sad and lonely young life (with implied abusive parents) and how meeting Yui saved him and losing Yui wrecked him.
Shinji using instrumentality to save everyone else, reverting everyone's souls from FoIs in an identical shot to EoE's black moon breaking apart.
Shinji literally telling Asuka on the EoE beach that he loved her. (definite past tense)
Shinji taking Rei's hand a la Sadamoto's comic style, with the EoE shot of all NGE+EoE(+NTE) episode titles flashing on the background.
Shinji telling Kaworu sitting on the NGE angel statue that he now remembers that he used to meet him there (the NGE location) many times before. And Kaworu replies he used wrote addendums to the "Book of Life" (his way of calling Dead Sea Scrolls?) so everything would happen again (because SEELE would treat Dead Sea Scrolls as absolute truth and act accordingly?).

Oh god this makes it so much worse
Last edited by ChaddyManPrime on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:25 am

View Original PostMelkor wrote:Wait, so Mari knew Gendo and Yui while they were in college? That's pretty much what happened in the bonus chapter from the end of the manga. Does this mean that chapter is actually canon? I thought Sadamoto said it wasn't and not to take it too seriously because it was something he did just for fun. So did he basically spoil a huge revelation from the movie years before it even came out?

Based on the characterization of her there, no. In the manga, Mari was infatuated with Yui and couldn't stand seeing her together with Gendo. It was so bad she eventually left for Europe. It's definitely a similar idea. IIRC there was a similar concept in a bonus chapter of Angelic Days where Kaworu somehow set up Gendo and Yui in college.

Kinda shitty of him to say it has nothing to do with anything when it obviously did. While we were deep diving into Anima, Reichu and I started to suspect that Yamashita was using ideas from NTE's conceptual meetings to make that story because there are so many parallels in the two stories. It looks like that might have been the case. Some of the stuff I've read tonight sounds really familiar.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Derantor » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:31 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Oh god this makes it so much worse

This times a hundred. First thing I heard which really rubs me entirely the wrong way.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:32 am

View Original PostDerantor wrote:
View Original PostChaddyManPrime#913227 wrote:Oh god this makes it so much worse

This times a hundred. First thing I heard which really rubs me entirely the wrong way.

Yeah, ooooof brother, ooooof ,I think we're getting hit for different reasons though brother

DaCourier
Embryo

Postby DaCourier » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:33 am

Don't you you two are reading way too much over this movie?

shingenesis
Embryo

Postby shingenesis » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:38 am

View Original PostDerantor wrote:
View Original Postshingenesis#913216 wrote:Asuka mentions in A-part (3rd village) that Shinji needs a motherly figure instead of a lover, and Mari eventually becomes Shinji's half-elder-sister, half-mother figure in his life, which is more family than romantic.

Which makes much more sense. If Mari was around when Gendo was still in Uni, she's his senior by quite some years.

What do you mean by "Tying up lose ends from EoE", though? Afaik, there isn't really a connection there - or did you mean thematically?

Edit: Any idea who that Giant Naked Somebody is we keep hearing about? Oh, and: welcome to the forums! ^_^

Thanks! I've dwelled in EvaGeeks for quite a while before finally registering today and making my first posts!
Regarding your question, that would be Giant Naked White Rei, who emerges from the Gate of Hell leading to "Negative-Universe" (or マイナス宇宙 listed in the Asuka pamphlet) as a part of Gendo's Additional Impact so he would meet Yui again. (ultilizing the Golgotha-Object (ゴルゴタオブジェクト) and the Eva Imaginary (showing as a dark-skinned Lilith in Shinji's eyes) in the Negative Universe)

Personally I would want NTE to be its own thing, but WAY TOO MUCH EoE stuff is shown on screen making it quite difficult.

About tying up EoE loose ends, I was refering to the AsuShin relationship that was left hanging and ambiguous on the beach, but in 3.0+1.0 Shinji finally tells Asuka that he loved her on a scene extremely similar to EoE beach, but with NTE moon.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:40 am

So, we're going full meta...
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Derantor » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:41 am

Ah, thanks for answering my questions! That makes it a lot better already. If it's the NTE moon, we can at least be sure that it is not literally the beach from EoE, but simply a visual callback. The oceans are red in NTE anyways. If they still are in Shin?

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Melkor » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:42 am

Yeah, the thing about the movie connecting the Rebuilds to the anime, that's a hard pill to swallow. It honestly perplexes me because of just how fan-fictiony it sounds. Didn't Anno (or one of the other members of the production crew) say in an interview around the time they first start making the Rebuilds that the Rebuilds were going to be a brand new story with no connection to the original that would stand as it's own thing (or something along those lines, can't find the exact interview). So did they just straight up lie about the Rebuilds and anime not being connected, or did they decide to go back on that and make them be connected during the eights years between 3.0 and 3.0 + 1.0? It would not surprise me if the plot for 3.0 + 1.0 changed several times during those 8 years, resulting in a weird mish-mash of different ideas.
Last edited by Melkor on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

Zethus Thorne
Adam

Postby Zethus Thorne » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:44 am

So I hear that Rei Q cries in a scene in 3.0 + 1.0?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”