Shin Eva leak general

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
RahulBhatia10
Embryo

Re: Shin Eva leak general

Postby RahulBhatia10 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:18 am

We're starting to get some good answers on the reddit sub from those who have just seen, check the most recent posts
Everyone, please watch August in the Water, GOAT film

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:26 am

I'm so happy I spoiled myself and now I want to watch the movie even more

NGE is NGE. NTE is NTE.
This was indeed SHIN Evangelion.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:26 am

Just found out Sakura shoots at Shinji, but Misato takes the bullet for him....... So much for my crackpot ship :rofl:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

EvaThirdImpact
Embryo

Postby EvaThirdImpact » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:28 am

General fan reaction I’ve seen from Japanese fans on Twitter is positive. Not sure if it’s just new movie hype though.

penguintruth
Lilith

Postby penguintruth » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:29 am

Well, Pen Pen is confirmed to be in it, so I have to at least watch it once.

Swami
Embryo

Postby Swami » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:30 am

Positive English YouTube review of the movie. Be warned of spoilers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua9ZvClpMKc

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:33 am

Something I don't get is why all the ones who didn't like it take it so personally.

shingenesis
Embryo

Postby shingenesis » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:36 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Just found out Sakura shoots at Shinji, but Misato takes the bullet for him....... So much for my crackpot ship :rofl:

That being true, Sakura also states explicitly she is shooting to wound (and not kill) Shinji in order to stop him from getting into Unit01 again, because she believes that is far better and happier than to face the unknown results if Shinji reuniting with Eva01.
Also judging from Asuka's comment on how Sakura cries as if she is Shinji's wife when Shinji wakes up again on Wunder, we can safely say that the Sakura ship is most definitely still afloat!

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:36 am

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:37 am

https://twitter.com/ahsokabro/status/13 ... 48000?s=20

Summary of the film for those who want it. Honestly it sounds amazing to me.

View Original Postshingenesis wrote:
View Original Posthui43210#913196 wrote:Just found out Sakura shoots at Shinji, but Misato takes the bullet for him....... So much for my crackpot ship :rofl:

That being true, Sakura also states explicitly she is shooting to wound (and not kill) Shinji in order to stop him from getting into Unit01 again, because she believes that is far better and happier than to face the unknown results if Shinji reuniting with Eva01.
Also judging from Asuka's comment on how Sakura cries as if she is Shinji's wife when Shinji wakes up again on Wunder, we can safely say that the Sakura ship is most definitely still afloat!

Huzzah! Lol

Please do not double post unless it's either necessary or a significant amount of time has passed from your previous post. Thank you.
-Zusuchan
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

EvaThirdImpact
Embryo

Postby EvaThirdImpact » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:38 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:https://twitter.com/ahsokabro/status/1368785490242048000?s=20

Sounds pretty good tbh. Very exciting.

Sharpe
Embryo

Postby Sharpe » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:42 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:https://twitter.com/ahsokabro/status/1368785490242048000?s=20

Sounds great!
SPOILER: Show
The EoE beach stuff sounds very interesting, as does the description of GNR.
we are many, but you are alone

Eva Dragon
Embryo

Postby Eva Dragon » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:45 am

View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man wrote:I'm so happy I spoiled myself and now I want to watch the movie even more

Me too. A couple of things still seem weird to me, but I think that this epilogue is heartwarming.
Shinji's story is Anno's story, that's it.

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:46 am

So the sequel heads were...right for the last decade lol
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

mastervampire
Adam

Postby mastervampire » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:47 am

So is there a link to EoE ?

Huagh
Adam

Postby Huagh » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:48 am

I really can’t believe I spent 8 hours switching from here, Reddit, Twitter, etc just to find out what the fuck was happening, all while I had homework to do that I stopped doing every 5 minutes. This day has been so crazy and fun.

RahulBhatia10
Embryo

Postby RahulBhatia10 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:49 am

mastervampire wrote:So is there a link to EoE ?
yeah that's what I'm super curious about, like it's literally the red lcl ocean from EoE and Shinji shows up there to make his feelings clear? I could picture it being a sort of sequence in this film's version of an instrumentality sequence...
Everyone, please watch August in the Water, GOAT film

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Derantor » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:51 am

It seems to be a callback, not a literal revisit of the beach from EoE. It's a beach, not the beach.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

Emperoreddy
Embryo

Postby Emperoreddy » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:59 am

Sounds good go me too. I am excited to see it, even if thr first viewing is a crappy cam rip.

Realistic GNR sounds creepy as hell
Green Birds

shingenesis
Embryo

Postby shingenesis » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:02 am

Judging from people's discomfort at various relationship from characters, I'd say it is because spoilers only focuses on the most superficial matters (ie explicit dialogues and lines), while Anno is a person that would tell his story through live imagery instead of words.

A good example would be the supposed Mari-Shin "romantic" relationship. The Shinji-Gendo dialogue that eerily resembles NGE shenanigans shows on-screen that it was Mari that took Gendo's earbuds off when he was in university so he would notice (and later opens up to) Yui. Many years later she would find an interest in setting up AsuShin in Q and 3.0+1.0. (Which ultimately did not work out as both Asuka and Shinji admits that the 14-year difference means Shinji can no longer save and protect a much older Asuka, and that torch is passed onto Kensuke who is implied to have supported Asuka for 14 actual years.)
Overall, it can be confirmed also from Maaya Sakamoto's interview in the 80p pamphlet that Mari is the person that would wish and push for the happiness of others (but not really herself?), in fact she acts exactly like Shinji's mother's best friend, saving Shinji from clutches and pulling him towards other girls.
In the final station scene, a Rei shipper can even interpret that Mari is pull Shinji's hand so he would catch up to Rei (and Kaworu) instead of simply watching from afar.
Asuka mentions in A-part (3rd village) that Shinji needs a motherly figure instead of a lover, and Mari eventually becomes Shinji's half-elder-sister, half-mother figure in his life, which is more family than romantic.

Personally I found good-hearted closure in this film, exactly 14 years (heh) after I came to know about the Evangelion series in 2007. While the small details in lore can be the topic of heated discussion for the next decade, 3.0+1.0 is a movie made for old-timers who have seen End of Evangelion and very roughly ties up most the loose ends from both EoE and NTE.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”