Amazon Prime Video release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Re: Amazon Prime Video release

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:49 pm

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait, are some y'all motherfuckers saying that we are going to get the guys who translated the script for the ADV version of end of Evangelion?

Does this mean that emotive, passionate, human language is back on the menu boys?!

Are the days of stilted, unimaginative, robotic scripts over for Evangelion media?! If so sign me the fuck up!
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:00 pm

It seems Dan Kanemitsu is the translator again, the same guy behind the Netflix version.

If I recall correctly, he was somewhat held back from making certain tweaks because of Khara's extreme devotion to literal translation over what is often called "localization" (ie. making changes to the dialogue to make it sound better in its target language, while keeping the original meaning or adopting an equivalent meaning in the target culture).

So it's really unclear rhow the actual scripts will turn out. That's the only real thing left to worry about, but I remember hearing Dan had some script changes for the subtitles that the dub on Netflix was made a little too early to adopt, so it's possible it won't be quite as wonky as the NF dub sometimes sounds.

That being said, I don't think the NF script is horrible. Just a little too formal and wooden, which certainly isn't ideal of course.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:26 pm

I asked for "just one tweet" on the dub cast and boy did I get one, and then some!

At the time I remember there being controversies about how Kanemitsu translated NGE for Netflix, like changing Kaworu's "I love you" to "I like you". I hope there are no such issues with the latest translations.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:31 pm

God that was trash, remember that whole grace bullshit?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:30 am

A little off topic but is there a chance at a redub of the show and EoE with this cast? Seeing as very few, if any, of the international bluray releases have been able to use the Netflix dub because they own the rights that would be pretty cool.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:45 am

View Original PostJupiterCallisto wrote:A little off topic but is there a chance at a redub of the show and EoE with this cast? Seeing as very few, if any, of the international bluray releases have been able to use the Netflix dub because they own the rights that would be pretty cool.

It's possible the delay on the GKIDS release is because Khara signaled they might want a redub with the new Rebuild cast but that they are prioritizing Rebuild first.

I think it would explain why that was announced a long time ago but no one has heard from it in what seems like a year.

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:17 am

It's unclear if the Netflix dubs were not included in the European sets because Khara doesn't own them and Netflix was asking too much for them or if Khara intentionally made them unavailable. The former would line up with most other European releases of anime licensed by Netflix while the casting decisions for the various Amazon dubs is also a strong argument for the latter. Maybe it's a combination of the two? If a third English dub of the series and original movies were to be produced, the question would then become who would be paying for it. Not sure about Anime Limited, but GKids could certainly pay for it if they wanted to. By that same token, if the cost of the Netflix dub was the main deterrent for the other releases, that shouldn't pose an issue for GKids; they should have the money to be able to afford Netflix's asking price. But given Khara's allowed the release of the classic European dubs on the new sets, I wonder if they'd just include the original ADV and Manga dubs instead. But I suppose you could make the same argument here, was there really a point in redubbing 1.11, 2.22, and 3.33 with a lot of the same principle cast? We'll just have to wait until Anime Limited or GKids talk about it (or something like this happens and some group spills the beans early).

As for Kanemitsu's work, I think his overly literal style is simply his approach to translation. I've noticed similar oddities in stuff he'll post on twitter like this from several months ago. I'm sure "battle honors" is technically the most literal word choice, but it's not really what an English speaker would use to describe the same thing, since he's not spelling it "battle honours" I don't think it's meant to be a reference to this. That kind of translation is fine, even helpful, for an inital translation, but it's something that would naturally be smoothed out during the localization process from a script writer. Mark Skibo is credited as "Localization Quality Assurance" in the Amazon credits. The closest equivalents for the Netflix release of the show and movies seems to be Carrie Keranen and Oscar Garcia being credited under "Adaption" and Graham Willis as "Subtitle Translation". Maybe David Flemming as "Subtitle Editor"? I'm not exactly sure what all they did or didn't do to Kanemitsu's initial translation. Obviously Skibo was not involved in that version though - in fact Anime News Network's encyclopedia doesn't list him as working on anything besides this release.
Last edited by GentlemanX on Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:27 am

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:...

Huh, I wasn't aware there were international Blu Ray releases that specifically left out any English dubs.

It seems like you know a lot about the situation.

I hope this "localization quality assurance" person at Amazon helped smooth out the possible issues in the literal script then.

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:45 am

Sorry, maybe I was unclear. It's not that international releases leave out English dubs, it's that international releases tend leave out Netflix dubs. The situation with Leonine Anime and Dynit's upcoming German and Italian sets excluding the new German and Italian Netflix dubs is part of a larger pattern of Netflix produced dubs not appearing on home video release in various European countries. This extends to smaller US based companies as well, such as Sentai Filmworks' release of the new Baki anime having a different English version produced by Sentai themselves apart from the English dub produced for Netflix. Sentai, like these European companies, simply can't pay Netflix's asking price.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:55 am

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:Sorry, maybe I was unclear. It's not that international releases leave out English dubs, it's that international releases tend leave out Netflix dubs. The situation with Leonine Anime and Dynit's upcoming German and Italian sets excluding the new German and Italian Netflix dubs is part of a larger pattern of Netflix produced dubs not appearing on home video release in various European countries.

Ah I see. Yeah no worries it's a complex situation.

Interesting, that's really a big worry I have about Netflix versions of things, because having entire bodies of work be erased is very likely in these situations whenever the license expires. Unfortunately only fan versions will preserve the Netflix version if this kind of thing keeps up and GKIDS can't release anything of their's. Whether it's the ADV/Manga or Netflix dubs, I'd hope GKIDS can keep them all but I'm beginning to think a unifying consistent dub with the new Rebuild cast is the one and only dub in the future.

Wouldn't be too bad as it'd probably be close to ADV's, and it'd finally make NGE and NTE fully consistent in English, but it'd be sad the Netflix cast would be erased as a result.

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:40 am

View Original PostThe Dragon Mask wrote:Wouldn't be too bad as it'd probably be close to ADV's, and it'd finally make NGE and NTE fully consistent in English, but it'd be sad the Netflix cast would be erased as a result.

I know that is has some fans but honestly I'd be fine if the Netflix becomes a relic of when Khara didn't know how deeply intertwined they should be with international dubs without knowing how the majority of local fans actually feel about said dub in the first place.

It sucks because the Netflix cast did try their best but if they can recognize Spike and Co. as THE voices for the characters in both Rebuild and a new dub then all bad blood will be gone for good.
Last edited by JupiterCallisto on Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:49 am

View Original PostJupiterCallisto wrote:It sucks because the Netflix cast didn't try their best but if they can recognize Spike and Co. as THE voices for the characters in both Rebuild and a new dub then all bad blood will be gone for good.

I assume you meant to write "the Netflix cast did try their best", but I agree that overall it was a big blow to the long time fans for Khara to replace the originals on the first place. My main concern is that now that the Netflix dub exists and has fans, I'd hope those fans (and the cast and crew themselves) wouldn't be snubbed in return by being thrown away as well. Considering this is the end of Eva for real barring any shenanigans or likely spin offs, it'd be great if the most amount of people were happy in the end.

In any case, in the interest of avoiding the issues in the dub speculation thread, I think I'll avoid speculating on the fate of the Netflix dub until at least after 3+1 is out.

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:07 am

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:It's unclear if the Netflix dubs were not included in the European sets because Khara doesn't own them and Netflix was asking too much for them or if Khara intentionally made them unavailable.

Do European releases usually contain English? I always assumed the UK was the only one that had English, or any countries that also got the UK versions (As I know France gets some stuff from AllTheAnime, or did at some point). It is now a little suspicious that both the US and UK sets have yet to be revealed...I hadn't considered before but there is potential for a new NGE dub. But at the same time, I assume that Amazon would have hired the new dubbing company but as they have no reason to make an NGE dub I don't see why the same case would redub NGE.

On the topic of the dub I wont lie I'm not the biggest fan of Amanda Winn-Lee as a person and actually preferred the recast Rei in Rebuild, but it's nice to see that very original set of actors doing the entirety of Rebuild.

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:57 am

View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:
Do European releases usually contain English? I always assumed the UK was the only one that had English, or any countries that also got the UK versions (As I know France gets some stuff from AllTheAnime, or did at some point). It is now a little suspicious that both the US and UK sets have yet to be revealed...I hadn't considered before but there is potential for a new NGE dub. But at the same time, I assume that Amazon would have hired the new dubbing company but as they have no reason to make an NGE dub I don't see why the same case would redub NGE.

We were talking about countries that got Netflix dubs not using them in their blu rays like the Spain dub. Many of them are even using their original dubs from 20 years ago.

Khara chose the new Netflix voices and Dan K was the head of localization for the new Rebuild dubs. If that doesn't make it clear how much power they have over choosing the voices for dubs now I don't think anything would.

Also dubbingbrothers is an independent company and could probably be contracted for a TV series dub if necessary.

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:01 am

View Original PostJupiterCallisto wrote:Also dubbingbrothers is an independent company and could probably be contracted for a TV series dub if necessary.

I think that this could potentially happen - it would explain the radio silence from Gkids and All the Anime, but then again there wasn't an explanation for the radio silence of any other countries' release.
If not a redub we'll definitely get the ADV dub at least. Netflix dub, maybe, but Netflix dubs don't tend to appear on home video releases of anime if Baki is anything to go by. I wonder if maybe Dubbing Brothers knew about the blu ray plans and that's why they've chosen to go with the original actors as opposed to the new ones: they wanted to help build consistency and decided to not use the Netflix cast, as the ADV dub was soon to become more accessible, or something like that.
wait waht

Erufailon4
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Erufailon4 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:27 am

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:Netflix dubs don't tend to appear on home video releases of anime if Baki is anything to go by.

Anime Limited was able to get the Netflix dub of Violet Evergarden for their blu-ray release (as, I assume, was Funimation), so it's not impossible, but at the end it comes down to whether including the Netflix dub in the Eva release is worth the cost, which it may not be if they already have the ADV dub. (Do they? being the big question.) And I honestly don't see either Gkids or Anime Ltd commissioning a new dub of the TV series, unless contractually required by Khara, because making a new dub is expensive too, probably even moreso during the pandemic.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:52 am

SPOILER: Show
View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:
View Original PostGentlemanX#927631 wrote:It's unclear if the Netflix dubs were not included in the European sets because Khara doesn't own them and Netflix was asking too much for them or if Khara intentionally made them unavailable.

On the topic of the dub I wont lie I'm not the biggest fan of Amanda Winn-Lee as a person and actually preferred the recast Rei in Rebuild, but it's nice to see that very original set of actors doing the entirety of Rebuild.

Come to think of it, does the UK ever get dubs in a “British accent”? Being American myself, until now I’ve never questioned the fact that every dub I’ve watched has defaulted to American actors (with the exception of Hellsing Ultimate which obviously uses British accents to complement the setting). I know there’s usually different dubs for Latin American spanish vs. Spanish spanish.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:54 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:Come to think of it, does the UK ever get dubs in a “British accent”?

No. There is no anime industry here in the UK apart from distributors and importers. Everything we get is the same as the Americans get.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:59 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:Come to think of it, does the UK ever get dubs in a “British accent”? Being American myself, until now I’ve never questioned the fact that every dub I’ve watched has defaulted to American actors (with the exception of Hellsing Ultimate which obviously uses British accents to complement the setting). I know there’s usually different dubs for Latin American spanish vs. Spanish spanish.

Yeah in terms of dubbing the American English dub is the dub that we get. We get them packaged in different boxes most of the time, but always the same dubs. Same for games and same for anything really. Not much point in making another English dub really.

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:13 pm

View Original PostErufailon4 wrote:Anime Limited was able to get the Netflix dub of Violet Evergarden for their blu-ray release (as, I assume, was Funimation), so it's not impossible, but at the end it comes down to whether including the Netflix dub in the Eva release is worth the cost, which it may not be if they already have the ADV dub.

This is true, though it's worth noting that this Netflix dub deal is a change in their policy from what it used to be. A good example of that is again to go back to Sentai Filmworks: many years ago Sentai put out the CG anime series Knights of Sidonia and had no issue including the Netflix produced dub for the series. Yet more recently, as mentioned, Sentai's release of Baki had a completely new dub produced since the Netflix dub wasn't affordable. I don't know if Anime Limited's release of the Netflix dub of Violet Everdeen is because the deal was made before this change in policy occurred or if it's because Anime Limited was able to afford Netflix's asking price.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”