Amazon Prime Video release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Amazon Prime Video release

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:34 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Speaking of it, segments of Q's Portuguese dub were leaked.

Yeah, I just watched it.

“Mas e aí, como estava o cachorrinho?”
I personally prefer “filhotinho” than “cachorrinho” in that Mari's line. But this is just a nitpick. I also liked the dub.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:48 pm

Perhaps in terms of bringing back some folks from ADV back, pretty much what everyone's saying, perhaps Khara must've realized that Spike and the others are what drive people to see the films.

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:48 pm

DiracSea902 wrote:Why couldn't they bring Tristan MacAvery back as Gendo? I know ADV kinda blackballed him because of a publicity dispute or some such, but that shouldn't extend to Amazon, right?

MacAvery's Gendo is one of my favorite performances in not just Eva, but voice over in general; so I'm absolutely right there with you wishing he were here. Given Amanda was able to bring him back for EoE, I doubt his absence is do to any bad blood. He probably just doesn't work in the industry anymore and has retired.

If I were to make my perfect cast for Eva, it absolutely would have MacAvery back as Gendo, Guil Lunde back as Fuyutsuki, Jewell back as Kaworu, and Nishimura back as Mari; but I'm content with the cast as is. I vastly prefer MacAvery, but Swasey's performance isn't bad. Lunde is definitely a more captivating performance than Ross, but I do like him a bit more in the role than Kent Williams (I actually think Williams is the better actor overall - I just don't care for his portrayal of Fuyutski, especially opposite Swasey as I feel the two sound too similar). Jewell and Nishimura were both great as Kaworu and Mari, but I am open to hearing new portrayals (Kaworu because it's become tradition to recast him every time, Mari because I'm just not really invested in her character - Nishimura's performance is actually the only thing I really liked about her outside of her character design). I may have more thoughts once I hear their new actors, as well as the new actors for Ritsuko and Kaji, but that's where I'm at for now. Also, I'm assuming Haberkorn is playing Kensuke, so I'd have preferred they get Stoll or Ayers instead. If not them than Diskin. If not Diskin than another previous Eva actor like Mongillo or Bosch or someone. If not them than someone else; almost anyone other than Haberkorn.

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:37 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Speaking of it, segments of Q's Portuguese dub were leaked.

HOOOOOLD up, how'd this happen? Was it found on Prime Japan? Because if that were the case we could just get the full dubs in pretty much no time!
wait waht

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:07 pm

It most likely came from Prime Video Japan. Where I watched it -- which is on Twitter -- it doesn't state the origin.
Remember folks: if you have any leaks of the English dub or any other language, please, do not provide any links here. Thanks! ^_^
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:08 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:I considered doing this yesterday, but the discussion grew too fast and it became impractical to move all the posts into there. So what we were left with was to simply let it go here.

It would suck if that thread died on the anxiety and disagreements that it got locked from when things worked out but I understand.

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:17 pm

I do not know if this has been asked yet (if so, I apologize, I could not find it) but... do we know if this is free for prime subscribers or if it is going to be behind a paywall?

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:24 pm

Yeah, I think they're all gonna be free for Prime subscribers.

Mt Olympus
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mt Olympus » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:36 pm

Oh my goodness, I'm quite relieved with the cast.

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:11 pm

Well, lookit that. Wikipedia seems to have updated the cast list for some. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelio ... _Time#Cast

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:44 pm

View Original PostHooded_Omar wrote:Yeah, I think they're all gonna be free for Prime subscribers.

Thank you. :)

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:53 pm

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:She talks about that in this interview at 26:45 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqL68wSbvN4&t=1644s

Considering how she was snubbed by Funimation I can see why AWL wasn't that positive on the Rebuilds at the time.

What's interesting is that in this video Tiffany said she can't fully judge the Rebuilds since she's only participated in and seen 3 out of 4, but that overall she doesn't find them as fulfilling (yet). That makes a lot of sense too imo because at least so far Asuka's role has been reduced a lot (at least before 3+1, which hopefully/seemingly makes up for this). But even so Shikinami so far hasn't been able to have as many standout scenes or shown any of the same vulnerability Souryuu had under the surface in the show so I can see why she'd be disappointed with 2.0 and 3.0's role for Asuka so far.

I certainly look forward to seeing more of Asuka most of all, even though I also missed having more time for Misato in 3.0 as well (plus Ritsuko, Gendo, Rei 2/3 as opposed to Q, etc. really, but Asuka and Misato most of all since the only other main character got some interesting stuff with Rei Q). Mari's a big mystery as well but I can't feel too bad 3.0 dropped the ball a bit by not exploring her character much at all, since so far I (and I expect most of the audience) just aren't attached to her yet.

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:12 pm

View Original PostThe Dragon Mask wrote:Considering how she was snubbed by Funimation I can see why AWL wasn't that positive on the Rebuilds at the time.

If you go to 49 minutes in she says she was asked back by Funimation. She had a scheduling issue however so she just said to recast it.

So, do we think we'll get "third child", or "third children"?
I think judging by the trailers for 1.11 and 2.22, it's *neither*. Shinji's intro referred to him as "The Third Boy".
SPOILER: Show

Rei's has her referred to as "The First Girl".

In 2.22, not only does the Asuka intro card have her as "The Second Girl", Misato refers to her as "The Second Girl".

I guess the word "child" might be nonexistent now in Eva. Maybe if they make another Eva series we'll see an Instrumentality sequence in an alternate universe where the world "child" exists lmao

I put those three images inside a spoiler tag, so it is easier to read your post. - JoelcrNeto
wait waht

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:29 pm

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:If you go to 49 minutes in she says she was asked back by Funimation. She had a scheduling issue however so she just said to recast it.
I guess the word "child" might be nonexistent now in Eva. Maybe if they make another Eva series we'll see an Instrumentality sequence in an alternate universe where the world "child" exists lmao

Oh I see (I hadn't finished the whole video yet). In that case I guess it was really mostly what she said which is that doing Rei and the general localization direction for EoE was a really tough task and that she apparently just didn't think Rebuild was much more than a cash grab. It seems like she must have changed her mind later, or perhaps just specifically still had a strong attachment to her NGE performance since she definitely went off on the Netflix situation earlier this year when her NDA on that expired.

BTW it appears AWL is making some vague hints now, since she tweeted this out of the blue (implying she has a secret she can't let out yet):

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:38 pm

In a way the Netflix dub is starting to seem like a necessary thing to get this dub. By being as overbearing as they were and receiving backlash I think they really dialed back and let the English translators do what was best for the project.

This crazy situation where they pulled voices from all different Evangelion dubs is insane. This was beyond my wildest dreams and this will really feel like a grand goodbye to Evangelion as a whole because of it.

I can already think of how fun it will be hearing all these voices with their own positives and negatives together in one dub...

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:47 pm

View Original PostJupiterCallisto wrote:In a way the Netflix dub is starting to seem like a necessary thing to get this dub. By being as overbearing as they were and receiving backlash I think they really dialed back and let the English translators do what was best for the project.

This crazy situation where they pulled voices from all different Evangelion dubs is insane. It will really feel like a grand goodbye.

Perhaps. But really just imagining the opposite scenario, wouldn't you say Netflix keeping the Funimation compilation of cast members or even simply re-using the ADV and Manga Entertainment dubs themselves would also have led to 3.0+1.0 using them too?

I think the only possible evidence for a backing down of their somewhat overbearing restrains on the translation are really just the use of "boy" and "girl" instead of using the clunky "children", which doesn't really seem to be an actual shift in their stance, just how Rebuild refers to that classification (I haven't noticed it specifically in the Japanese dubs, but I can tell you that "3rd boy" and "1st/2nd girl" are what the Japanese text is saying in those screenshots as well rather than a more general "child"). I think I've heard before Rebuild/NTE has just used "shounen/boy" and "shoujo/girl" instead of the real English term "chirudoren/children" since the beginning, which makes me think this may not be a shift at all.

Either way I do hope you are right that the specific script weaknesses of the Netflix version aren't representative of the script quality of these new dubs. We'll live either way, and the super literal Netflix version did provide some interesting insights I had never noticed before, but overall yeah I hope they let it breath a bit more like at least the final Funimation 3.0 dub.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:00 pm

Ohboyohboy are we going to have a fun time comparing the two dubs - as I spoiled 3.0+1.0 for myself on day 1, it's a hell of a bonus that I can go all the way back to 1.0 with fresh...erm...ears?

I hope there's a Western cinema release at some point too. I need to see at least one Rebuild film in the way it was meant to be seen.

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:12 pm

In the event that they are referred to as "3rd boy" and "1st/2nd girl", can we please start calling the ADV and Funi dubs the Child Dubs?
wait waht

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:29 pm

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:In the event that they are referred to as "3rd boy" and "1st/2nd girl", can we please start calling the ADV and Funi dubs the Child Dubs?

LOL! Makes sense, since this was before Khara started putting their foot down.

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:09 pm

View Original PostThe Dragon Mask wrote:
View Original PostJupiterCallisto#927612 wrote:In a way the Netflix dub is starting to seem like a necessary thing to get this dub. By being as overbearing as they were and receiving backlash I think they really dialed back and let the English translators do what was best for the project.

This crazy situation where they pulled voices from all different Evangelion dubs is insane. It will really feel like a grand goodbye.

Perhaps. But really just imagining the opposite scenario, wouldn't you say Netflix keeping the Funimation compilation of cast members or even simply re-using the ADV and Manga Entertainment dubs themselves would also have led to 3.0+1.0 using them too?

I think the only possible evidence for a backing down of their somewhat overbearing restrains on the translation are really just the use of "boy" and "girl" instead of using the clunky "children", which doesn't really seem to be an actual shift in their stance, just how Rebuild refers to that classification (I haven't noticed it specifically in the Japanese dubs, but I can tell you that "3rd boy" and "1st/2nd girl" are what the Japanese text is saying in those screenshots as well rather than a more general "child"). I think I've heard before Rebuild/NTE has just used "shounen/boy" and "shoujo/girl" instead of the real English term "chirudoren/children" since the beginning, which makes me think this may not be a shift at all.

Either way I do hope you are right that the specific script weaknesses of the Netflix version aren't representative of the script quality of these new dubs. We'll live either way, and the super literal Netflix version did provide some interesting insights I had never noticed before, but overall yeah I hope they let it breath a bit more like at least the final Funimation 3.0 dub.

I don't think there are many dub fans that would put the Funimation dub cast over the ADV dub. Honestly other than the ones they got back, the rest were just there. That's probably why Mari got recast, there wasn't a huge outcry to keep her AND the rest just an outcry to keep the OGs back at least and make any other changes they desired.

I actually prefer this cast to Funimation's and if the dub script is good I think I'll never watch those again outside of nostalgia. Honestly, I'll miss Jewell as Kaworu and Trishimara as Mari but I can live without them for this all star cast of OG voices coming back.

Do not quote an entire post: “trim it down to the relevant bit you’re addressing”, like the forum rules says. I put on a spoiler tag. - JoelcrNeto

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”