Speculation - Blu-ray release window

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: Speculation - Blu-ray release window

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:16 pm

I hope if the film comes out in the Fall on BD in Japan, it'll be a similar window in the West. I guess that's all wait and see, though. (Assuming GKids has the rights, I'd love a rerelease of the other 3 films, too....)

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:I really hope the Netflix team gets to redo all four films.

Dan Kanemitsu (Khara's in-house translator who did the English subtitles for the Rebuilds, and also some NGE stuff with Gainax back in the day) mentioned recently on Twitter how he was working on "Eva" alongside several other titles. Most likely he's translating the GKids western BD boxset release (since Netflix never uploaded his subtitle corrections, huh?), as well as the English subtitles for Shin Eva. So I wouldn't worry too much on that end, when it comes to consistency! :emogendo:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:09 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:I really hope the Netflix team gets to redo all four films.

I also hate Funi for their scummy corporate practices (way too expensive boxsets, trying to block fansubs, firing Vic on trumped-up accusations), but I actually enjoy the dubbing work they do. Aside from the gratuitous cussing, I was completely fine with their Rebuild dubs.

My hope with the final movie is that it's dubbed not by Funi themselves, but by another company trying to imitate the Funi dubs of the previous movies. Get the ADV actors for the main characters, try to avoid the somewhat stilted dialogue writing of the Netflix NGE dub, and it would be fine.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:41 pm

I just really hope that they get the same three original English VAs if nothing else. I can't believe we might end with a situation like EoE being handed off to Manga Entertainment instead of ADV, bungling things at the last minute again.

Ideally, Funimation would handle it, but if GKIDS or whoever gets it then hopefully they get as many other VAs from the Funi dub as possible.

Sharpe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sharpe » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:07 pm

I hope GKIDS gets it and I hope that Spike, Tiffany and Allison get the chance to finish things off, if not the whole of the cast from the previous Rebuilds. The Netflix dub actors are whatever (I am personally not a fan and will always watch the series subbed on Netflix) but it would be really dissatisfying to see them redub the first three films and dub Shin. I am inclined to believe they won't do this because of the somewhat needless cost of redubbing three films with solid dubs but we'll see.
we are many, but you are alone

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:56 pm

There’s also the chance people are forgetting of an international cinema release with subtitles.

Khara are well aware of the international interest hence the Paris avant preview which had French subtitles, yes I realise it was also tied into the fact avant 1 is set in Paris.

But with the U.K. set to open cinemas in may again and with restrictions set to end completely for us in June.

It isn’t out of my imagination for khara to arrange for some viewings internationally. At select Indy cinemas

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:56 pm

View Original PostSharpe wrote: I am inclined to believe they won't do this because of the somewhat needless cost of redubbing three films with solid dubs but we'll see.

I have zero inside information of any kind, but I think there's at least a decent chance that they will. If Khara actually are ditching FUNimation for Gkids, then there will be a legitimate need to redub the first three as they wouldn't be using FUNimation for Shin.

Granted, I'm also bias because I vastly prefer the Netflix dub as it does a far better service to the show on a whole. The old dub on the other hand has been fast and loose with the show since the beginning and have spent the last two years whining about Khara and Netflix. Tiffany Grant attacking Khara on Facebook because they made them take the cringy "asshole" line out of 3.0 particularly rubbed me the wrong way. I don't want to see them touch the franchise ever again.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:09 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:
View Original PostRay#911298 wrote:This was all caused because of a misunderstanding because a Khara representative didn’t understand American anime culture versus Japanese anime culture

Actually it's because Funi is trash, and Khara realized they should stop trusting their IP with them. I really hope the Netflix team gets to redo all four films.

It's a little of both, honestly. Sure, the Khara representative doesn't understand the rambunctious nature of con goers, but Funimation doesn't seem to be mindful of the end credits light effects and just flat out won't pay for "Fly Me To The Moon" licensing.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:39 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:It's a little of both, honestly. Sure, the Khara representative doesn't understand the rambunctious nature of con goers, but Funimation doesn't seem to be mindful of the end credits light effects and just flat out won't pay for "Fly Me To The Moon" licensing.

Well neither did netflix. Also, wasn't one of the trailers for with 'fly me to the moon' in it on the dvd release of 1.11?

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:48 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Granted, I'm also bias because I vastly prefer the Netflix dub as it does a far better service to the show on a whole. The old dub on the other hand has been fast and loose with the show since the beginning and have spent the last two years whining about Khara and Netflix. Tiffany Grant attacking Khara on Facebook because they made them take the cringy "asshole" line out of 3.0 particularly rubbed me the wrong way. I don't want to see them touch the franchise ever again.

I’m not a big fan of the ADV dub myself, but I don’t really like the Netflix version either. On the one hand, the Netflix actors are much better than the ADV actors, especially for the background characters. But on the other hand, the dialogue writing in the Netflix version isn’t really good. So much of it feels kind of stilted and unnatural, and it was clearly written by someone who’s not a native English speaker. In my opinion, the Funi dub was able to balance good acting with good writing, and I would like to see a continuation in that style.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:50 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:
View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever#911317 wrote:It's a little of both, honestly. Sure, the Khara representative doesn't understand the rambunctious nature of con goers, but Funimation doesn't seem to be mindful of the end credits light effects and just flat out won't pay for "Fly Me To The Moon" licensing.

Well neither did netflix. Also, wasn't one of the trailers for with 'fly me to the moon' in it on the dvd release of 1.11?

Yeah I don't like FUNimation, but the fly me to the moon issue was Netflix's problem. I'm working on the assumption that Gkids will fix that but we will see.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:09 pm

There were some "Fly Me To The Moon" trailers in the first press releases of Funimation's Evangelion 1.11. They had to be removed from subsequent pressings due to the licensing issue. So it's as much of Funi's problem as it is Netflix's problem. (Though, Funi's problem wasn't quite as disastrous as Netflix's problem.)

As for Netflix, I don't think that was really ever considered to be anything other than international advertising for the Eva brand for the upcoming Shin Eva film. Khara was basically getting paid for the opportunity to promote their brand. The disc releases, on the other hand, I would think would have a lot more attention to detail surrounding them. This is, after all, the product itself, not an advert for the product.

(Netflix does't sell products, they sell access to a library that they can change at any time. Nothing they have on there is a product. The access to the platform itself is the product, and the reward is simply its ever-changing library. Eva is not a product on Netflix's platform. The GKIDS release, by contrast, is the product.)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:08 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:It isn’t out of my imagination for khara to arrange for some viewings internationally. At select Indy cinemas

In Europe bigger anime films make it to bigger cinemas no problem, just for limited time.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:38 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:
View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin#911315 wrote:It isn’t out of my imagination for khara to arrange for some viewings internationally. At select Indy cinemas

In Europe bigger anime films make it to bigger cinemas no problem, just for limited time.

And not even at Indy cinemas. I saw the latest Lupin 3d cartoon and Weathering with You at the largest cinema chain in the country. They stayed for a month onscreen. Both dubbed and subbed. So did Eva 2.0 and Eva 3.0. The only one that was only arranged for a special screening for one nignt was 1.0.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:37 pm

This is incorrect to assume big cinema companies will show it

I’ve never seen an evangelion film in the big U.K. cinemas.

I have in the Indy ones in London though. Like the Prince Charles cinema in Leicester Square

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:48 pm

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:This is incorrect to assume big cinema companies will show it

I have in the Indy ones in London though. Like the Prince Charles cinema in Leicester Square

Well I saw 3.0 in the biggest Cinema Odeon in Ottawa, Canada, so I think it's actually correct to assume that every country will have a different distribution. I'm expecting it to be similar to Demon Slayer which is getting it's western theatre run right now.

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:08 pm

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:This is incorrect to assume big cinema companies will show it

For better or for worse, UK is not the entirety of Europe.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:59 pm

Haha the U.K. is definitely not Europe now lol

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:00 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:
View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin#911392 wrote:This is incorrect to assume big cinema companies will show it

Well I saw 3.0 in the biggest Cinema Odeon in Ottawa, Canada, so I think it's actually correct to assume that every country will have a different distribution. I'm expecting it to be similar to Demon Slayer which is getting it's western theatre run right now.

This is regarding the U.K. only

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:40 pm

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:Haha the U.K. is definitely not Europe now lol

Well.... geographically it still is :wink:

But yeah...

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chroma » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:03 pm

That ~5 month from cinema to disk for 3.0 is almost too good to hope for this time around, but it's hard to hope for anything outside of at least being able to see it sometime this year, and obviously the earlier the better. It'd definitely be nice to see it in theaters too, of course, but the virus situation might throw a wrench in that.

The film feels both so close and yet, so far.
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”