Possible Spinoffs After 3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Jäeger
Temp-Banned

Re: Possible Spinoffs After 3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:36 am

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:Jäeger, stop quoting entire posts when it is not necessary. Only reply to the parts of the post relevant to what you are going to say.

Also, it might be a good idea to take further Anima-related discussion into the thread committed to it.

Fixed

The post is about possible spin offs...and Anima is one of the most obvious candidates.I don't think is out of place.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:46 am

Thank you. Please don't do it again.

I suggested moving into the Anima thread because while Anima is a possible spin-off, the discussion was starting to veer into a discussion about Anima instead of a discussion about possible further Eva works. It's nice to discuss how Anima could work as an adaptation, but I feel like maybe the discussion should be taken elsewhere. Most of the posts here are specifically about how an Anima adaptation could work, to the point that's become what the discussion is about.
I'll allow it for now and I did mean what I said re: that more as a suggestion, but if it goes on for a longer period of time, I do feel like going somewhere else (either the Anima thread or making an entirely new one) is a better idea.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:59 am

I'm probably the only one who wants an anime adaptation of Campus Apocalypse. :lol:

It's not the best story out there but it sure has the wildest, most interesting take of the Eva myth, its world, and characters while not being completely reliant of the original work. It has enough chapters to make a 12-episode TV series and they could let the younger staffs do it as a showcase project of sort, they'd totally kill it in the action scenes.

And while it's guaranteed to invite backlash and mixed receptions, they could do a total recast to the main kids if they really want to retire the old ones with Shin and start with a clean slate with younger seiyuus (I can totally imagine Kazutomi Yamamoto and Kouki Uchiyama as Shinji and Kaworu, their voice fits for these two).

Of course, this is all just a wishful thinking but I'd totally welcome it if it happens. :mari_love:
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

jedi_spectre1
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jedi_spectre1 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:39 am

I personally like the idea of Evangelion continuing on after Anno, but I really hope that Shin is the last time we will see the original cast in animated form. The only spinoffs I would be really interested in are those with a new cast and new ideas. If Evangelion is to grow into a Gundam-like franchise like it seems Anno might want, then it is going to have to move past Shinji and the rest of the original characters. Amuro Ray and Frau Bow aren't in every Gundam series.

Of course, I would still watch any spinoff shows that doesn't move on to a new cast, but I would be disappointed. To me it would just be saying that all the new directors brought on could only try to imitate the original show and do nothing new.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:28 am

A new cast of characters could indeed be interesting. It would help to keep things fresh. But creating these characters wouldn't necessarily be an easy task.
Unlike Gundam, for example, the focus of Neon Genesis Evangelion is its characters and their interactions with each other. Things like lore, geopolitics and fights (although important in their own way) serve more as complementary elements.
That's why I think the EVA fanbase cares so much about its characters. In a way, they are what make up Evangelion. They are the core of its identity.
But, I agree with you. They can't be reused forever. Otherwise, things would eventually become monotonous. In the end, Jäeger is right. Money makes the world go round and Evangelion is a profit machine. They will find a way around these things hahaha.
Last edited by BernardoCairo on Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:07 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:They will find a way around these things hahaha.

One way is to have a new generation - pick a pairing that the ending left more-or-less in place as possible and use their children. Inuyasha is currently doing that in Yashahime (with somewhat tepid results IMO), for instance.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

jedi_spectre1
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jedi_spectre1 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:19 pm

I wouldn't like that, myself. That idea gives me bad vibes from the Star Wars sequel trilogy. I understand the appeal, but not every new protagonist has to be related to someone else in the franchise. Also I don't see any Evangelion spinoffs coming chronologically after the anime, unless they do a whole genre shift. So there goes any chance for Shinji and maybe Asuka's kid Post-EOE. I also don't see the Evangelions remaining after Shin as well.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:50 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Inuyasha is currently doing that in Yashahime (with somewhat tepid results IMO), for instance.

Yeah, I remember the pre-release hype being so high but I struggled to find anyone in my circle talking about it once it's airing.

I haven't watched it myself but I figured the "next generation" kind of revival series tend to get their lives sucked out of them relatively fast after the initial hype, probably because people realized they're only prolonging/extending these stories just for the sake of milking it without a proper treatment for the story, take Boruto for an example.

I also don't see neither NGE or Rebuild to get this kind of treatment, especially with how they're hyping up Shin as the "true" true end of current Evangelion.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:55 pm

For me, the best way would be for the writers to reinvent the characters in each iteration. Similarly to how they rework Asuka for the Rebuilds.
Shikinami is a completely new take on the character, but she is still Asuka. I mean, her problems are similar to Soryu's, but she deals with them in a absolutely different manner. This kept Asuka's character fresh and enabled new themes and ideas to be implemented in the story. In the end, she's basically a character we already love, but seen from a new angle.
Personally, I wouldn't mind to see this kind of stuff from or the other characters in possible future spin-offs. It is a different reality, why would everyone act the same way?

I also don't see neither NGE or Rebuild to get this kind of treatment, especially with how they're hyping up Shin as the "true" true end of current Evangelion.

My dream would be for it to end in 3.0 + 1.0. Like, once and for all, you know? But it is unrealistic as as hell hahaha! Fortunately it's likely that we will only be getting spin-offs...
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:09 pm

Post Shin Eva, I'm assuming we'll get a lot in the way of more manga and or video games? Which I'd enjoy, as long as it' s not just pachi slot games, lol.

New anime and such, I don't know, because Anno later retracted his own "I want Eva to continue" comments. (In one of the many threads here, perhaps Everything Else/Related Works and People.) Personally I'd rather Shin Eva be the finale, when it comes to anime projects.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:50 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:I'm probably the only one who wants an anime adaptation of Campus Apocalypse. :lol:

It's not the best story out there but it sure has the wildest, most interesting take of the Eva myth, its world, and characters while not being completely reliant of the original work. It has enough chapters to make a 12-episode TV series and they could let the younger staffs do i

There was an anime adaptation. It has called Persona 3-4-5 the animation :devil:

And kinda hard to compare Evangelion and Gundam. Tomino's franchise has been always about war, so changing characters and timelines never has felt weird.

Worry, but watching the children grown up in a crazy as shit setting would be a take which would keep my attention.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:53 pm

I'd rather Shin Eva be the finale, when it comes to anime projects.

Let's just pray to Lilith that your words will be heard hahaha! I also believe that it would be much better if it all ended up in 3.0 + 1.0...

Which I'd enjoy, as long as it' s not just pachi slot games, lol.

One day we will all be blessed with an Evangelion fighting game made by Arc System Works! I mean, I can at least dream about it, right? hahaha

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:46 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:
I'd rather Shin Eva be the finale, when it comes to anime projects.

Let's just pray to Lilith that your words will be heard hahaha! I also believe that it would be much better if it all ended up in 3.0 + 1.0...

Which I'd enjoy, as long as it' s not just pachi slot games, lol.

One day we will all be blessed with an Evangelion fighting game made by Arc System Works! I mean, I can at least dream about it, right? hahaha

It won't happen. Like Dragon Ball, Gundam or Macross, Evangelion is too big to keep it hidden under lock & key. Too much money at stake. Sooner or later, Eva will resurface.

A Guilty Gear fan? I'm talking to a Guilty Gear fan? :D :D :D First of all, a Saint Seiya game which punishes repeating combos because "the same attack doesn't work twice on a saint".

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:08 am

Yep, I'm a Guilty Gear fan, a BlazBlue admirer and a Dragon Ball FighterZ fanatic. This last one, I've been playing everyday for more than a year. It just refuses to get old!
The truth is that I always wanted to see a competitive fighting game focused on giant creatures. Evangelion is perfect for that because the EVAs are not wonky. In fact, they are fast and agile! They also have a bunch of tools to make up their moveset (Progressive Knife, Positron Sniper Rifle and so on). Hack, the game could even play with the concept of Umbilical Cables and time limit if the developers wanted it.
ACW would be perfect for the project because of their impressive attention to detail and fast gameplay. They are also the best company in the market (fact).

First of all, a Saint Seiya game which punishes repeating combos because "the same attack doesn't work twice on a saint

Okay, I will admit. This made me laugh hahaha

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:25 am

Guive It a try to TechRomancer for Sega Dreamcast. A lot of mechas based upon classic anime. Among them, Evangelion.

And, of course, Zoe 2nd Runner.

HARVEST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HARVEST » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:21 am

I would love to see a short film or a TV special that would fill in the missing gaps between 2.0 and 3.0.
They are making a manga called Evangelion: 3.0 (-120min.) which would fill in these gaps and would be around 24 minutes worth of animation if it were adapted into a short film (the film is 96 minutes long and 120 - 96 is 24, and it would be 120 minutes long if it were inserted into the beginning of the film).

Maybe they can release it as part of the pre-roll in Hayao Miyazaki's upcoming film How Do You Live?, just like how Evangelion 3.0 had a Nausicaa live action prequel short film in its pre-roll.

That or Evangelion: 3.0-2.0, which would be a full adaptation of the alternate 3.0 that was teased at the end of 2.0. With a possible sequel called Evangelion: 4.0-2.0 (or even better, Evangelion: 4-2.0).

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:37 am

View Original PostHARVEST wrote:They are making a manga called Evangelion: 3.0 (-120min.) which would fill in these gaps and would be around 24 minutes worth of animation if it were adapted into a short film

The manga (already around and translated) is just 16 pages, and consists of Asuka and Mari chatting while preparing for the mission at the start of 3.0- so, nothing like you are hoping for.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:23 pm

Jäeger wrote:Guive It a try to TechRomancer for Sega Dreamcast. A lot of mechas based upon classic anime

I just realized that I never replied to this post. I actually played this game and it's pretty good. Like its predecessor, the Dreamcast was a great machine for fighting games. This is a good foundation for what an Evangelion fighting game could be. I truly love how it implements the pilots' facial reactions in the special moves, for example. Still, I would change some things.

What a modern Evangelion fighting game needs (in relation to this one) is:
- Smoother animation and faster gameplay (emphasizing how acrobatic the EVAs are).
- A more "static" camera. I like it when fighting games use their camera dynamically to convey movement during special attacks. That said, this game does it excessively, in my opinion.
- More combo possibilities (which should connect more fluidly).
- Arc System Works' 2D approach to 3D models.

Anyway, that was a good recommendation. Thanks!

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:04 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:An Anima adaptation could be interesting, but there would have to be a lot of work by necessity going into making sure the plot is actually logical and understandable in some way, instead of the no-holds-barred all-doors-opened absolute insanity that is the plot of Anima with all the fairly incredible stupidity and stupendous amount of logic leaps.

If you've ever played ANY of the Kingdom Hearts games, you'll know that logic gets thrown out the window SOOOO MANY TIMES and the player doesn't find out why such events happened for another 2-3 games half the time so I can totally see them doing an anime version of Anima...really need to start reading it now that I just found out the entire thing will be out in English in August. OH, I CAN TOTALLY GET THAT FOR MY BEACH READING THIS YEAR!!! :D
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:03 pm

Don't get your hopes up too much. Anima is genuinely terrible for a long list of reasons; although most of all it is dreadfully boring. For all the inane shit happening in it, it is an absolute slog to get through
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”