Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:17 pm

The snippets we saw were virtually identical, yes. (Outside of the 4 Adams and 4 Lances thing.) But, compared to NGE, Misato's backstory in NTE is very sparse, and plays a weird game of telephone. (Kaji tells Shinji what he knows of Misato's backstory in NTE, unlike NGE where the flashback is implied to be taken directly from Misato's memory.)

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:42 am

The AVANT1 has got me thinking... The fact that at the end of Q Asuka says the intensity of the L barrier prevents "the Lilin" from picking them up, the urgency of activating the sealing pillar under a countdown and the message written on it that Maya pays respects to, has set some Chekhov's Gun flags in my mind beyond just letting us speculate.

I think may see the effects of normal human exposure to the L barrier. Humans cored and then either turned into FOIs, or just dissolved (maybe that happened in Paris since its empty?)
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Dooomer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dooomer » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:34 am

about the scene of Shinji and Misato, I think its pretty obvious that Asuka and Mari will not succeed on their mission, and the SS Wunder will be shoot down by the Renduw SS, leaving Misato with no other choice than beg Shinji for help, and in the process explain to him wtf happened on those years, but who knows.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:01 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Let's be honest here. The segment in which that girl appears is the best one in the trailer. One month later and we are still scratching our heads with it.
I, personally, don't know what to think about it yet. But, there are two theories that I found to be valid.
1 = That's young Asuka, probably from a flashback that will appear as she is talking to Shinji. You know, pretty straight forward.
2 = That's not Asuka, but rather some relative. I mean, her hair color seems to be a little bit different and there are some facial discrepancies as well (although this could be related to lighting and other factors). Maybe it's Shikinami's daughter in a not so distant future? Who knows?
Anyways, if it has something to do with Asuka in general (exploring her past or future), I would be pleased. Even if it wasn't her. Asuka is my favorite character and Shikinami a good take on her. I hope she gets more screen time on this movie.

It's about time she gets her share of protagonism. And, by far, the best take of all the cast, starting from her pirate redesign. Meanwhile, poka poka Rei...puaghhh, such a cliché....

And my bet is on a Flashback. That's her, without doubt.

View Original PostDooomer wrote:about the scene of Shinji and Misato, I think its pretty obvious that Asuka and Mari will not succeed on their mission, and the SS Wunder will be shoot down by the Renduw SS, leaving Misato with no other choice than beg Shinji for help, and in the process explain to him wtf happened on those years, but who knows.

Shouldn't be Asuka the one who tells him that? My bet is on Misato talking him about the BIG PICTURE.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Oh yes, Reichu's famous theory that the four pilots are actually the four ADAMs in human form (+ Rei being Lilith), yeah that would be an awkward reunion if it turns out that Shinji was the guy that killed her father! :bigeyes:

For me, that would make the grudge between Shinji and Gendo pointless. If he is not the offspring of Yui Ayanami, what's the point of her "apparition" in 2.0, which makes Gendo say yes to Rei's meal proposal?

"You're just an experiment, why should I care for you?"

Sorry, for me crosses the line of fanwank.

Of course, I could be wrong.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:50 am

Oh yes, Reichu's famous theory that the four pilots are actually the four ADAMs in human form (+ Rei being Lilith), yeah that would be an awkward reunion if it turns out that Shinji was the guy that killed her father! :bigeyes:
Regarding the fact that Shinji could be one of the Adams in the light novels Evangelion ANIMA we have something similar
SPOILER: Show
In these novels the Eva 01 becomes the second body of Shinji and 2 occasions takes the form of the Giant of Light. In the last chapter Kaworu tells Shinji about a story about Adam extracting his human side from himself, "evil and sinful that who became the serpent. Shinji believes that he himself may be the serpent.

ANIMA and Rebuilds have some similarities and similar ideas. So we shouldn't be surprised if in the latest Rebuild movie it really turns out that Shinji is some kind of alien god ancestor of both humans and angels.
"You're just an experiment, why should I care for you?"
Jäeger could may be that Yui after being made pregnant by Gendo may have used some form of weird technology to give Shinji the soul of one of the Adams (the one should be Eva 01) when he was still no more than just a embryo. This would make Shinji the reincarnation of one of the Adams without detracting from the fact that he is still the son of Gendo and Yui.
Also looking at the two images of Shinji in that tweet, it's me or did his hair grew slightly longer?

I think this may be due to the framing or the slight change in graphics and drawing style.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:35 am

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:I don't really get what Reichu is saying when she says that Misato's Rebuild backstory hasn't been revealed yet.

FFF4e said exactly the reason, as it was not Misato who said, it may be that information is missing. Reichu emphasizes in her blog post:
Note that, in NTE, Misato has not opened up to Shinji about her past; Kaji provided the scants bits of information that are in 2.0. We need Misato to step up to the plate and do the rest now — and I get the feeling that it’s going to overlap with NGE canon way less than most fans are expecting. There’s a reason NTE has been holding out on Misato’s backstory this long.

Source: "3+1 Trailer #3 Thoughts, Pt. 3" on The Arqa Apocrypha
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:10 pm

That's interesting. The fandom as a whole has committed the oversight of assuming anything not outright mentioned in the New Movies has the same background or explanation as in the original TV show.

Try convincing a smug casual that EVA-01 is much more likely (to put it mildly) one of the Adams, I dare you. You'll end up plucking your hair out.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:15 pm

View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man wrote:
Try convincing a smug casual that EVA-01 is much more likely (to put it mildly) one of the Adams, I dare you. You'll end up plucking your hair out.

Tbh I don't think there is more likelihood either way. We just don't know these things.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:17 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote: Regarding the fact that Shinji could be one of the Adams in the light novels Evangelion ANIMA we have something similar
In these novels the Eva 01 becomes the second body of Shinji and 2 occasions takes the form of the Giant of Light. In the last chapter Kaworu tells Shinji about a story about Adam extracting his human side from himself, "evil and sinful that who became the serpent. Shinji believes that he himself may be the serpent.

if I recall

Shinji himself fights the snake, "his heart", to defend Asuka/EVA
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:31 pm

Yes Jäeger it was something like this but it was a much more confusing situation
Asuka was Eve in which vision there is no doubt but it was not clear if the Serpent from which Shinji had to protect her was Mari and the Wolfpack or his heart, because Shinji's heart had a personality of its own that saw love and friendship as chains is and was only interested in the power he had by being part of the Super Evangelion. Shinji began to wonder if he himself was the Serpent when in the last chapter he sees his own distorted face inside the jaws of the Devil's Spine (or Devil's Backbone I don't remember well) that it had take life by taking control of Armaros and assuming the form of what in the naractive was described as something similar or a dragon head or a snake precisely.
Jesus thinking back to the madness of ANIMA I get a headache.
We just don't know these things.
Indeed kuribo-04.There are too many unanswered questions, in the original anime that I remember the only pseudo mention of the First Ancestral Race was in episode 21 (?), I don't think we had a lot of background on Adam and Lilith except their respective roles in the cause the First and Second Impacts and being the parents of Angels and humans. Please Anno at least this time give us more answers of an ambiguous nature. I'm afraid I'm asking too much -o-;
Last edited by FXArmaros98 on Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:41 pm

About Misato in Rebuild, I'm still not thoroughly convinced either way. It's not that I'm just assuming with no evidence, Kaji in 2.0 described Misato's backstory as being very similar in broad strokes to her NGE backstory. Misato hated her father because of his obsession with his work. Then, they went to Antarctica for an experiment that ended up causing Second Impact, and Misato's father sacrificed himself to save her. After that, Misato joined NERV in order to take revenge for her father's death. That story is told in both NGE and Rebuild. There might be some sort of "I never told anyone the real story" retcon in the final movie, but all evidence in the movies so far seems to point to Misato's two backstories being mostly the same.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:42 pm

Man, I truly hate this convoluted mess known as ANIMA (despite it having some cool ideas). But I'm not turning another thread into a discussion of whether it's good or bad hahaha. So, whatever.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:47 pm

BernardoCairo yes sorry,I just wanted to use the ANIMA spoilers to give some support to those who believe that Shinji may be one of the Adams, as it seems that Yamashita while writing ANIMA could have obtained information from Anno himself about the Rebuilds plot and the OK to go around as he believed in the writing of his Evangelion's spin-off.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:32 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:Yes Jäeger it was something like this but it was a much more confusing situation
Asuka was Eve in which vision there is no doubt but it was not clear if the Serpent from which Shinji had to protect her was Mari and the Wolfpack or his heart, because Shinji's heart had a personality of its own that saw love and friendship as chains is and was only interested in the power he had by being part of the Super Evangelion. Shinji began to wonder if he himself was the Serpent when in the last chapter he sees his own distorted face inside the jaws of the Devil's Spine (or Devil's Backbone I don't remember well) that it had take life by taking control of Armaros and assuming the form of what in the naractive was described as something similar or a dragon head or a snake precisely.
Jesus thinking back to the madness of ANIMA I get a headache.
We just don't know these things.
Indeed kuribo-04.There are too many unanswered questions, in the original anime that I remember the only pseudo mention of the First Ancestral Race was in episode 21 (?), I don't think we had a lot of background on Adam and Lilith except their respective roles in the cause the First and Second Impacts and being the parents of Angels and humans. Please Anno at least this time give us more answers of an ambiguous nature. I'm afraid I'm asking too much -o-;

My god, you were right, I forgot

The snake was Mari's Eva. But the symbolism was evident, there is not even a debate there : Adam & Eve vs the snake, but.....maybe Shinji's heart was Satan tempting him?

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:01 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:Gendo'sPapa I think Shinji in that frame have take his fateful decision, maybe after having a conversation with Misato.

that look of his face and the bubbles in the bg i think he is in reiquarium.
ANATA BAKA !?

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:07 pm

View Original PostJäeger wrote:
My god, you were right, I forgot

The snake was Mari's Eva. But the symbolism was evident, there is not even a debate there : Adam & Eve vs the snake, but.....maybe Shinji's heart was Satan tempting him?
@ Jäeger
I believe his heart was tempting him to forsake his friends and bonds, but rather than actual Satan saying that Shinji's heart simply acted like the Serpent is not the real devil (the fact that the devil was the serpent is quite controversial from what I know in some versions he was a fallen angel named Samael, while in other versions he was really Satan).I think that scene could be a conflict between the human Shinji and his side that was part of Adam even though Mari was the snake there. God what a mess
Last edited by FXArmaros98 on Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:07 pm

Jäeger you seem to be quoting your own posts a lot. I don't know if that's intentional or not, but please stop.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:16 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote:that look of his face and the bubbles in the bg i think he is in reiquarium.
I believe they may also be in the place where Gendo placed Evangelion 13 on that giant cross. I think Gendo is about to sacrifice his soul to Evangelion 13 with Nebuchadnezzar's Key, but Misato and Shinji (plus a few more) will arrive and Gendo will get a bullet, manage to escape and then maybe start a conversation between Shinji and Misato.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:19 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Jäeger you seem to be quoting your own posts a lot. I don't know if that's intentional or not, but please stop.

My mistake trying to edit them, sorry.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:57 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:
View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man#908159 wrote:

Tbh I don't think there is more likelihood either way. We just don't know these things.

Whut? We see Eva 13, explicitly described as "One of the surviving Adams", display the exact same behaviour and powers as 01 at the eend of Ha. Powers that no other Eva was shown to have. What else do you think this is going to be!?

BusterMachine4 wrote:About Misato in Rebuild, I'm still not thoroughly convinced either way. It's not that I'm just assuming with no evidence, Kaji in 2.0 described Misato's backstory as being very similar in broad strokes to her NGE backstory. Misato hated her father because of his obsession with his work. Then, they went to Antarctica for an experiment that ended up causing Second Impact, and Misato's father sacrificed himself to save her. After that, Misato joined NERV in order to take revenge for her father's death. That story is told in both NGE and Rebuild. There might be some sort of "I never told anyone the real story" retcon in the final movie, but all evidence in the movies so far seems to point to Misato's two backstories being mostly the same.

Well, it's.... complicated. It's not set in stone by any measure, but there is some stuff hidden in the subtext and references to other works that point to Misato and Shinji being foils of each other, so there is at least a decent chance that she might not have been entirely uninvolved with 2I. It would certainly explain her brash behaviour in Q; if (blatant speculation on the exact details of events ahead) Misato went against the orders of her father and in doing so accidentally caused 2I, that would make quite a few things have a lot more weight than they already do, I can very much imagine a thematic mirror to the sequence at the end of Ha, except that this time it is Misato doing the stupid and her father trying to stop her
EDIT: I should clarify that this is not my own idea; Reichu has brought it up a while ago elsewhere, I believe she has a long-form essay on it in the makings
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”