Was Poka Rei really what the fans wanted

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:44 pm

Poka!Rei is what Rei2 could have been if Anno hadn't panicked and decided to suddenly drop her character development and focus solely on the annoying new girl. He wanted her to just be a walking plot device and she was becoming a person despite his wishes! :lol:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:00 pm

According to interviews iv'e previously read (if someone can provide a link, please do) Anno didn't drop Rei's development, it was already over and complete. he simply had nothing more to do with her and that "annoying new girl" is my favourite character
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:18 pm

Rei's fate has always been to surrender her person to the higher entity of her "true nature" and to fade away from the (lilin) world. Even in the very picture that Shinji (?) visualizes when he says he wants humanity to return this distance is demarcated by the fact her face doesn't appear in the photo.

Considering this tendency in Rei's character i wouldn't be too surprised if it ends up as either Rei Q sacrificing herself for the existence of Rei 2, or if both of them sublimate their beings into an entity Shinji can't connect to or even fully comprehend. And of course, Rei herself might end up lonely as hell being irrevocably separated from Shinji.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Ispellnogood
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ispellnogood » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:12 pm

As for Pokanami, I'm mostly in agreement with FreakyFilmFan4ever. Rei II intrigued me as a character, but after episode 5 I just didn't find her engaging. Pokanami started to develop her own agency. Like the dinner party; she drew conclusions from her interactions with others, sounded out the participants and came up with the plan all by herself, all because she wanted Shinji to be happier. She even gets to be sneaky! "It's nothing. I'll tell you later!"

Poka Rei didn't seem like she was earned to me. I think she's meant to be something similar to the alternate universe Rei in EoTV.

Poka!Rei is what Rei2 could have been if Anno hadn't panicked and decided to suddenly drop her character development and focus solely on the annoying new girl. He wanted her to just be a walking plot device and she was becoming a person despite his wishes!

The development with Rei and her interactions with Shinji do seem to drop and stagnate, then severed completely after Shinji sees the dummy Rei's. I don't think it's because of Asuka or because Anno didn't know what to do with Rei (she too important a character). I think he wanted Rei's character to be mostly linked to Gendo, her relationship wth him being the most important. Significant development with her and with Shinji and other characters kind of distracts from that.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:55 pm

Wasn't Rei supposed to cook Shinji a meal for his birthday in an unused NGE episode (something like an early episode, # 4 or 5) idea? Might've been 2.0 CRC that mentioned this.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Ash1969
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ash1969 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:00 am

View Original PostDream wrote:Rei's fate has always been to surrender her person to the higher entity of her "true nature" and to fade away from the (lilin) world. Even in the very picture that Shinji (?) visualizes when he says he wants humanity to return this distance is demarcated by the fact her face doesn't appear in the photo.

Considering this tendency in Rei's character i wouldn't be too surprised if it ends up as either Rei Q sacrificing herself for the existence of Rei 2, or if both of them sublimate their beings into an entity Shinji can't connect to or even fully comprehend. And of course, Rei herself might end up lonely as hell being irrevocably separated from Shinji.

I know this post is 12 days old, but in the photo you can see Rei's hair behind Shinji and between him and Aoba.

No my name is not a sex joke

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:38 am

Still, it's interesting that she'd be obscured like that
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:42 am

It could be suggested that showing her hair makes a point of her face being obscured, beyond what her mere absence would.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Dryman
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dryman » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:02 am

View Original PostIspellnogood wrote: I think he wanted Rei's character to be mostly linked to Gendo, her relationship with him being the most important. .

I think her link with Gendo is mostly to create more conflict between Shinji and his Father. So I would place it after Shini/Rei's development.

As for Rei II in the Rebuild I didn't really like her development. I prefer Rei Q's one, but it could have been more exploited, I hope it will be in 3.0 +1.0.
A confrontation between her and Rei II could be interesting too.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”