"Until You Come to me" EVA SHORT FILM 3+1 HYPE

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Infinite Freedom Machine
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Infinite Freedom Machine » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:06 pm

The point of a reference is that it's similar to the object being referenced. The purpose of the reference (IE to establish a plot connection or to subvert/utilize an extant visual language) isn't defined merely by the fact that references are made.

unitM wrote:Edit while I agree they aren't the same thing, they are certainly sound continuations of where we left off. Saying they aren't the same thing really doesn't prove anything. The point is, the storyboard appears to be a legitimate continuation of the Eva plot line from Q, backed by Anno himself.

I was responding to this:
unitM wrote:I find it funny how people are still finding a disconnect between NTE and NGE/EOE
not the canonicity of the short.

Speaking to the canonicity of the short though I would agree that it's meant to be at least partially an image of some events that happen sometime after Q, given that Shinji's walk through Tokyo 3 logically follows from the end of Q. A lot of the short was obviously visual allegory though, unless Rei is going to disintegrate sometime soon.
Last edited by Infinite Freedom Machine on Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's the only NEET thing to do.

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:10 pm

What you're saying is correct, however, I don't see how what I said doesn't meet your standards. The short is a viable continuation of the plot. The psychology of the characters seem to be well maintained. The relationships are on the same route. There are references to the events of Q throughout the short. There are some unexplained incidences but these are the outliers rather than the norm. The norm displays a justifiable connection to Q(and further back).
Last edited by unitM on Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infinite Freedom Machine
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Infinite Freedom Machine » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:12 pm

View Original PostunitM wrote:What you're saying is correct, however, I don't see how what I said doesn't meet your standards at all.
Well the implication that there's an established logical connection between NTE and NGE/EoE beyond a series of visual callbacks isn't true.

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:18 pm

The examples I gave didn't say any of that though.

Shinji wandering a desert. That's from Q.
The black moon is on it's side. That's from Q.
Shinji is depressed. Though this can be seen from Q, it is a common life script Shinji carries with him throughout the sees, metaphorically represented by Shinji stabbing himself in his "core." Shinji doesn't obviously have a core, however Shinji does carry a strong identity as an Evangelion pilot, so this is likely a visual representation of his psychological well-being. Again, not a reference before Q.

The Asuka chart is good evidence to support the sequel theory, but I don't think it's enough. But I think it's certainly a worthwhile pick-up.

Infinite Freedom Machine
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Infinite Freedom Machine » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:20 pm

View Original PostunitM wrote:The examples I gave didn't say any of that though.

Shinji wandering a desert. That's from Q.
The black moon is on it's side. That's from Q.
Shinji is depressed. Though this can be seen from Q, it is a common life script Shinji carries with him throughout the sees, metaphorically represented by Shinji stabbing himself in his "core." Shinji doesn't obviously have a core, so this is likely a visual representation of his psychological well-being. Again, not a reference before Q.
I know those examples had nothing to do with that. If you read my edit at the top of the page, my posts were a response to your confusion at people "making" a disconnect between NGE/EoE and NTE.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:21 pm

View Original PostInfinite Freedom Machine wrote:It's not really that people are finding a disconnect, but rather that visual references aren't the same thing as plot connections.

But that's what you have when some people are desesperate to yell "sequel!!!" at anything they can. The funny thing it's that the act like the ones that have to prove something are those who doesnt support that theory. Still waiting what goes from EOE to 1.11. And if somebody expects Anno is gonna tell you, keep waiting.

Nobody has asked himself that visual references are a reminder that SHin means to NTE the same EOE was to NGE?? And that idea fits the purpouse of short fil that is pure symbolism???

The four Asukas are just her four productions : NGE, Feature film, 2.22 and 3.33
Last edited by Jäeger on Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:22 pm

View Original PostInfinite Freedom Machine wrote:I know those examples had nothing to do with that. If you read my edit at the top of the page, my posts were a response to your confusion at people "making" a disconnect between NGE/EoE and NTE.
I got it, my mistake. The references are there but they aren't conclusive(though they do draw a connection).

Jaeger, I think NTE is a sequel story. Sue me. There are several unexplained scenes which could have, for all good purposes, been left out of the NTE story. They weren't.

I'll take an example from the recent storyboard we're talking about here. Let's look at the 4 Asuka scene. There are 4 Asukas shown, all scene from past Evangelion timelines. There's nothing to suggest they tie multiple plot lines together. The scene quickly swaps out after each Asuka fades out.

But the real question is, why the fuck would you put 4 Asukas in the storyboard to begin with??? Why would you show EOE Asuka and make it very clear through the titty flash? There is literally no purpose for doing so, aside from reminding us Asuka is still there. But even that isn't sufficient to show us 4 Asukas, faded in in chronological order.

So you know what Jaegar? Sue me, because I get suspicious about scenes that in part function on my suspicion. Sue me, because Anno considerably hints at a timeline beyond what is merely presented in NTE. I'm sorry we can't all adopt a cold posture towards things that Anno sets in front of us to notice. Really. My deepest apologies. :rolleyes:
Last edited by unitM on Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Infinite Freedom Machine
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Infinite Freedom Machine » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:26 pm

The most interesting thing about the short IMO is definitely the shot of the four adams. The short is at a minimum set in NTE, so regardless of the short's canonicity, we can take that shot as a shot of the same four figures in 2.0, now biologically suspended and about to become research subjects for Nerv. That leads to the emergence of all the new technology and set pieces in Q, especially Mark 09 which was designed by someone in some kind of relation to those four figures.

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:41 pm

Something has sparked my curiousity here for a second.

So at first, we saw a shot of 4 Adams in angelic bodies.

Then we saw 4 lances.

And now we see 4 lances penetrating Eva-like bodies.

Is there a possibility that the Adams themselves were seperated with body-soul?

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:43 pm

View Original PostunitM wrote:I got it, my mistake. The references are there but they aren't conclusive(though they do draw a connection).

Jaeger, I think NTE is a sequel story. Sue me. There are several unexplained scenes which could have, for all good purposes, been left out of the NTE story. They weren't.

I'll take an example from the recent storyboard we're talking about here. Let's look at the 4 Asuka scene. There are 4 Asukas shown, all scene from past Evangelion timelines. There's nothing to suggest they tie multiple plot lines together. The scene quickly swaps out after each Asuka fades out.

But the real question is, why the fuck would you put 4 Asukas in the storyboard to begin with??? Why would you show EOE Asuka and make it very clear through the titty flash? There is literally no purpose for doing so, aside from reminding us Asuka is still there. But even that isn't sufficient to show us 4 Asukas, faded in in chronological order.

So you know what Jaegar? Sue me, because I get suspicious about scenes that in part function on my suspicion. Sue me, because Anno considerably hints at a timeline beyond what is merely presented in NTE. I'm sorry we can't all adopt a cold posture towards things that Anno sets in front of us to notice. Really. My deepest apologies. :rolleyes:

Well, tell me which are those "unexplained scenes". Don't tell me about kaworu's words, I know them. If your argument it's that you don't have an explanation for something, that's not an argument.

It's not only EOE, it's also NGE Asuka and 2.22 Asuka, so stop talking as if only we were talking about EOE and Q Asuka. The hell, NTE Asuka is not same characters. Just a tribute in a symbolic short clip, sloser to a videclip, it's what it is, not even a teaser. Please, explain my how that frames mean "sequel". Please, I'm not gonna sue you, so do it.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:51 pm

View Original PostJäeger wrote:Well, tell me which are those "unexplained scenes". Don't tell me about kaworu's words, I know them.

It's not only EOE, it's also NGE Asuka and 2.22 Asuka, so stop talking as if only we were talking about EOE and Q Asuka. The hell, NTE Asuka is not same characters. Just a tribute in a symbolic short clip. Please, explain my how that frames mean "sequel". Please, I'm not gonna sue you, so do it.

I targetted EoE Asuka because she was by far the most prominent of the 4. They had her out on set with her tits in full motion. That's a bold move. Even throughout EoE, there are several Asukas they could have picked from. Yet they picked that one. It's a very distinguishing Asuka.

I'm not going to go over the unexplained scenes. Frankly, they've been glossed over here enough. However, I will say Kaworu's words are enough to make my point: there is no conclusive evidence in either direction, but there is certainly evidence that makes us suspect something is amiss.

The rest of the stuff you said has already been addressed or is a blatant distortion of my argument.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:06 pm

View Original PostunitM wrote:I targetted EoE Asuka because she was by far the most prominent of the 4. They had her out on set with her tits in full motion. That's a bold move. Even throughout EoE, there are several Asukas they could have picked from. Yet they picked that one. It's a very distinguishing Asuka.

I'm not going to go over the unexplained scenes. Frankly, they've been glossed over here enough. However, I will say Kaworu's words are enough to make my point: there is no conclusive evidence in either direction, but there is certainly evidence that makes us suspect something is amiss.

The rest of the stuff you said has already been addressed or is a blatant distortion of my argument.

Of course, that's the point in making clear she is EOE Asuka : to distinguish her four productions, the same way it's easy to distinguish NGE Asuka, the same way it's easy to do the same with her EOE, HA and Q counterpart. That's what people call tribute. But you only talk about EOE Asuka.

You're not going over because all of them are explained. But I agree that Kaworu's words are suspicious.....but in a lot of ways.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:07 pm

View Original PostunitM wrote:Something has sparked my curiousity here for a second.

So at first, we saw a shot of 4 Adams in angelic bodies.

Then we saw 4 lances.

And now we see 4 lances penetrating Eva-like bodies.

Is there a possibility that the Adams themselves were seperated with body-soul?

Four is Death. Asuka's gonna die.

*takes off fanwanking cap*
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:44 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Four is Death. Asuka's gonna die.

*takes off fanwanking cap*

There are four EVAS/adams

Thare are four Asukas

EVAS and Asuka's are the same. Piercing their mouths it's just another Shinji's sick fantasy of pleasure and pain.

or that each Asuka is the vessel of a god in infinite universes and timelines

Lets fankwank

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:47 pm

Asuka always takes the biggest beating somehow.

I actually found a number of things that warrant a discussion here. I'm not able to pull up a solid conclusion myself so I'd like to see what we can come up with. The more minds, the better.

1. At the end of until You come to me, there are two fingers running towards each other. I immediately interpreted this as Shinji-Rei, but on second watch, it can be thought of much differently, with each way suggesting something different.

Shinji-Rei - Rei's running fingertips disappear, despite the hand moving forward. Rei can't find Shinji, because Rei herself is not there but she continues to do so regardless. This is a more Freudian motivation.

Rei-Rei - Rei is running to find herself, but cannot, because she is, again, not there.

It's important to note that, though the background changes, both hands don't travel at the same time, suggesting that this might have happened at 2 different times, depending on the individual, if it did indeed happen at all. It could be interpreted metaphorically as well. What did it suggest to you?

2. When Rei pops up on the telephone pole shortly afterwards, just before we see a close up of her eye, a common Eva symbol. However, it's not Shinji who she's interested in. The reflection of her eye shows that schoolgirl-Rei is actually looking at Rei Q. However, it is Shinji that spots schoolgirl Rei, and starts off emptily in that direction. Thoughts?

PainXIII12
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PainXIII12 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:54 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Can't wait to see what Demolition D has to say about this. . .
yes! that will be something!

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:11 pm

View Original PostPainXIII12 wrote:yes! that will be something!

He did link the video to his FB page, commenting with:

Yes, please hint more at NGE/EoE interconnectivity, we crave the ambiguity.

Whether or not he does one of his commentary vids on it is up for debate seeing as how he's already trying to get his ME!ME!ME! vid back after khara took it down.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:36 pm

I want somebody to make a video with just the "Danny Boy" music.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:42 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I want somebody to make a video with just the "Danny Boy" music.

I knew I wasn't the only one who hopes they release the music from this short.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:01 pm

View Original PostInfinite Freedom Machine wrote:Or perhaps the spears autonomously put an end to 2I themselves

This would be my guess. And, pierced, the Adams lose their energy-being getups and revert to meat-bag status, like Eva-01 at the end of 2.0.

I find the juxtaposition interesting, since what does a visual of pierced Adams have to do with Shinji's soul-rending relationship with his parents? Are we supposed to read anything into ENT lore from this?

And, in other non-news, re: Asuka x4: "IT'S A SCRAP OF NOTHING THAT FEEDS INTO MY PATHOLOGICAL CONFIRMATION BIAS FOR SILLY VIRAL SPECULATION! FEEDING FRENZY!"
Last edited by Reichu on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”