Asuka's role in 3.0 & Beyond

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Kodaemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kodaemon » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:54 pm

"Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein!"
just a signature

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:01 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:implying it isn't a plot point and that Asuka hasn't been human/angel hybrid since Bardiel incident :hohum:

Well, most of the speculation has been around mental contamination. Ritsuko remarked that all traces of physical contamination were suppressed. Asuka having Heterochromia iridum was actually quite common. But, considering Q has been marketing as a new story...I wouldn't be surprised if it was retconned.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:09 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Well, most of the speculation has been around mental contamination. Ritsuko remarked that all traces of physical contamination were suppressed. Asuka having Heterochromia iridum was actually quite common. But, considering Q has been marketing as a new story...I wouldn't be surprised if it was retconned.

NERV has such a solid track record with forecasting and noticing these things amirite? Angel can be purely spiritual/mental being too, y'know, so the fusion could've happened at "higher level" so to speak and it is now reflected in her eye.

Whatever the details I eat my hat if Asuka isn't now Angel in some sense.

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:14 pm

oh my god...Asuka is NOT an angel. they may be changing a lot of things but making Asuka being an angel is too ridiculous even for EVA, and making her an angel would just ruin the whole franchise....the reason her eye glows blue? maybe she has some sort of mechanical eye.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:18 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:So pumped! HQ version where?!

Japanese haet HD trailers, sad but true esp. in case of anime :(

I wouldn't be too hopeful

View Original PostUBERGEEKZILLA wrote:oh my god...Asuka is NOT an angel. they may be changing a lot of things but making Asuka being an angel is too ridiculous even for EVA, and making her an angel would just ruin the whole franchise....the reason her eye glows blue? maybe she has some sort of mechanical eye.

Uhh, looking back at original series and symbolically the Angels are human alright. Misato even calls them alternate possible forms of humanity. This is why Angels literally become more Human further the story progresses to the point final Angel NERV fights against is "humanity" itself.

It wouldn't be at all out of place in Evaverse. We already have Angel-human hybrids in form of Rei and Kaworu anyway.

Asuka being the 11th Angel would make sense from numerous angles and also solve the mystery of what happened to it.

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:19 pm

well even if Asuka has an angel infection theres no way in hell she will be a full on angel or the final one

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:20 pm

I interpreted Kaworu's line as dying as the thirteenth angel and also being the first to mean that there are no more angels after him.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:20 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:NERV has such a solid track record with forecasting and noticing these things amirite? Angel can be purely spiritual/mental being too, y'know, so the fusion could've happened at "higher level" so to speak and it is now reflected in her eye.

Well...yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you. After reading the spoilers, I wouldn't be surprised if something like Higuchi's concepts from the Unit-03 debacle being used.

SPOILER: Show

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:21 pm

View Original PostUBERGEEKZILLA wrote:well even if Asuka has an angel infection theres no way in hell she will be a full on angel or the final one

I'm not saying FULL ON Angel, either she has become fused (on ego level too) with the 11th or then it exists inside her as a separate entity like a split personality.

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:25 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I'm not saying FULL ON Angel, either she has become fused (on ego level too) with the 11th or then it exists inside her as a separate entity like a split personality.

oh so what you mean is....she wont be an enemy or a full on 11th angel or something like that. she just has a bit of its dna

TheTuna
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TheTuna » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:29 pm

I'm quite curious as to whether this seeming Angelic infection is specifically the reason that Asuka calls WILLE "Lilim". Maybe only she, and not the other pilots, is blurring the boundaries of humanity?

That said, I expect that whatever the problem is, she's got it under control; fourteen years have passed since the Bardiel incident, after all.

Hopefully they actually delve into what's shown happening to Asuka here in greater depth with 4.0.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:37 pm

View Original PostTheTuna wrote:Beast Mode Asuka is indeed every bit as terrifying as Beast Mode Mari. Really hoping we see a simultaneous Dual Beast Mode in 4.0.

The fact that Asuka's covered eye is glowing blue is rather worrying, to say the least.

Technically though isn't Asuka's natural eye colour blue anyways? I don't think it means she's an angel or angel infected....

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:19 pm

View Original PostTheTuna wrote:That said, I expect that whatever the problem is, she's got it under control; fourteen years have passed since the Bardiel incident, after all.

True, it is highly likely that if she ever went berserk due to Bardiel's contamination, it would have been between 2015 and 2029, and it would be likely that she would not have survived.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:59 pm

View Original PostUBERGEEKZILLA wrote:oh so what you mean is....she wont be an enemy or a full on 11th angel or something like that. she just has a bit of its dna

There's still a possibility that she could be an Angel enemy. Remember, we have no idea what we're going into with FINAL, and I honestly don't know how many real Angels are left to destroy after we learned the whole Key of Nebewhatever creates artificial ones. The fact that she has some sort of possible Angel DNA inside her could spell out a bad end for Asuka, but we'll have to wait and see cause I would rather not jump to conclusions.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:06 pm

I would not surprise me if Asuka is the final enemy, but Shinji doesn't kill her, but finds some kind of middle path or proper solution. I don't expect it, because it would be trading on their relationship in the series rather than in the movies for the sake of the tension and the resolution, and because Shinji is not allowed to win.

Unless, in a stunning reversal, he is allowed to win.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:58 pm

Given what we know so far, I don't think being a lilim/angel hybrid is a death sentence here like it probably would be in NGE. Consider the difference between Kaworu's original death (no self-control, pulled inexplicably towards Lilith) and his Q death (voluntary self-sacrifice after taking on Shinji's burden).

Based on the pattern established so far, if Asuka dies in Final, it's probably going to be Shinji's fault somehow.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:34 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Based on the pattern established so far, if Asuka dies in Final, it's probably going to be Shinji's fault somehow.

Well of course it would. It would give Asuka one last chance to call him an idiot sympathetically.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Brainman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:54 am

Well honestly, If Asuka had a dormant angel living in her head, why didn't it come out during the whole 4th Impact fiasco at the end of the movie? If her infection was waiting for an opportunity to activate and wipe out humanity for 14 years, it kind of missed it's Big Chance.

I don't buy it. I get the impression that whatever is under the patch is just another thing Asuka had to adapt to in addition to not aging. Just another thing to deal with.

And as far as S/A, nah, forget it. This is really the best outcome for Asuka when you think about it. She's left him behind (but won't let him lay and die). Why would she be holding a torch for the guy after so long? I'm sure whatever hang ups she had about it were put to rest long ago, and she can concentrate on what's important. And that's a good change of pace. She's an Asuka who's grown into herself. Now she's his babysitter. Mari is her only real peer, and I'd like to see that relationship explored in more detail.

Please, please, let there be a spin off series about their time skip adventures.
Why do they even want the Loc-Nar? All it does is melt you.

Merior
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Merior » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:22 am

View Original PostBrainman wrote:Well honestly, If Asuka had a dormant angel living in her head, why didn't it come out during the whole 4th Impact fiasco at the end of the movie? If her infection was waiting for an opportunity to activate and wipe out humanity for 14 years, it kind of missed it's Big Chance.

It may be something that she's simply been able to suppress/control, that depends on her state of mind more than the state of the world around her. That would actually explain why it starts glowing when she goes in beast mode (losing control of herself to a degree). She could have a psychological breakdown causing her to release the angel(?) in the next movie.

View Original PostBrainman wrote: as far as S/A, nah, forget it. This is really the best outcome for Asuka when you think about it. She's left him behind (but won't let him lay and die). Why would she be holding a torch for the guy after so long? I'm sure whatever hang ups she had about it were put to rest long ago, and she can concentrate on what's important. And that's a good change of pace. She's an Asuka who's grown into herself. Now she's his babysitter. Mari is her only real peer, and I'd like to see that relationship explored in more detail.

Considering Rebuild trend of focusing on the relationship between Shinji and a different "main" character from the tv series (Shinji-Misato/Shinji-Rei/Shinji-Kaworu) in each movie and the fact that we still don't know what's behind Asuka's eye(patch), the fourth will probably focus on Asuka and Shinji relationship, with her eye playing a plot relevant role. I do agree that it probably won't be anything romantic, but still, when you think about it, if u are stuck in a 14 year old body, your only chance to have a "normal" romantic relationship would be with someone in the same situation (i'm assuming Shinji is also going to remain 14 physically, not really sure about that). I wouldn't write off that possibility completely.

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Brainman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:32 am

View Original PostMerior wrote:She could have a psychological breakdown causing her to release the angel(?) in the next movie.

Yeah, see though I don't know what would actually cause that to happen. She forfeited her own Eva and self destructed it in this movie. In the original, she would rather have died than give up her path to piloting. It seems like in this version, she's given up a lot of the things she's used as emotional crutches in the 14 years since we've seen her.

So I don't necessarily know what would cause her to lose her cool now after what everyone has been through.
Why do they even want the Loc-Nar? All it does is melt you.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”