Impact Mechanics

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:18 pm

Okay, here's a theory. An Impact works sort of like a combination of the Genesis device from Star Trek, and the stuff in Doctor Who that can turn a planets population into copies of one template. When a lifeform kicks off an Impact, it changes the planet. Makes it more suited for that lifeform, while making copies of it. So say Zeuriel kicks it off. Earth gets filled with lots of Zeuriels. But the downside is that this basicly overwrites and destroyes whatever lifeform came before, changing the ecological conditions from what favors them, to what would favor the new species.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:25 pm

How far was Kaji to the epicenter compared to Gendo and Fuyutski?

Why did Touji's sister survive? Is there any reason to believe she was inside some zone of safety that Touji or Kensuke weren't in? Or, more importantly, Pen Pen?

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:04 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:38 pm

I still say Gendo took advantage of 3rd Impact to get rid of Kaji.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:44 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:53 pm

It would have been a good time for Gendo to do it, and have no one the wiser. Kill him, and just claim he must not have been in the safe zone or a chunk of rubble landed on him when 3rd Impact went down.

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:37 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:It looks as though it's the head of a giant screw, or part of a colossal drill.

Could it be, well, basically the Geofront? The black moon (egg?) of Lilith with Terminal Dogma "hanging" underneath?

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:45 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Azathoth: Well, who else would have made all of that weird-ass shit at the end of 2.0 happen? Shinji? 3.0 seems to confirm that he was just a catalyst for everything that followed, leaving Eva as the actual weaver of blood-red wishes... just like Ritsuko said from the start, eh?

The impression I got from the ending of 2.0, and still have, is that Unit 01 is essentially used as an apocalypse-creating tool entirely agreeable to and perhaps entirely subdued by Shinji's will. I'm inclined to think the former more than the latter, given this talk of Unit 01 having "awakened", but it doesn't change the fact that Unit 01 does fuck nothing to destroy everything until Shinji actually chooses that goal and takes action in pursuit of it.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:01 pm

Azathoth: Eva 3.0 drives in pretty damned hard how Shinji's "goal" was "save Rei", not "start apocalypse". All of the stuff about "open a black hole in the sky and make everything red and turn everybody into Evas" follow indirectly at best from one of the conditions for saving Rei ("I don't care about the world") and from Shinji's mindset at the time ("the world sucks"). Cause and effect is all fucked up.

As Kaworu says in 3.0, Shinji was the underpinning cause, the catalyst if you will. Otherwise, the kid seems pretty damned clueless, and Eva-01 did all of that shit because... I guess that's what Evas do? (Also insert Yui's dangling story thread here. They're building up to something there.)

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:it doesn't change the fact that Unit 01 does fuck nothing to destroy everything until Shinji actually chooses that goal and takes action in pursuit of it.

Eva-01 doing fuck nothing until Shinji provides adequate stimulation isn't anything terribly new, you know.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:09 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:And unveiled to us poor gaijin suckers in the same trailer... What the fuck is this?

As I understand, it's something that's pulled up from below the Tokyo-3 ruins during Fourth Impact, but... yeah. The hell?

That's the screw looking thing that comes out of the ground during 4th impact that I was trying to describe over IRC. There's alternating teeth that look like teeth from interlocking gears. When 4th impact is averted, it sort of falls to the ground, reminding me of GNR's head falling back to Earth.

What I assumed was that that was the geofront or the "black moon" equivalent. E.g. Lilith's corpse is way at the bottom of that and the large area could be the "shell" that surrounds the geofront inside.

Rawinder
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Rawinder » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:48 pm

Maybe it's the Rebuild equivalent of the Black Moon?

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:51 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:NME has been a bit on the doofy side where the Evas' armor is concerned. I mean, with the Adams, you can clearly see that there aren't pylons and stuff. Mark.06, it's obviously a big naked body that they have to put shit onto.

Reminds me of NGE!Adam, that we saw in the flashback where he had pylons as well :f

Maybe it's the Rebuild equivalent of the Black Moon?

From 1.11

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:17 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:And unveiled to us poor gaijin suckers in the same trailer... What the fuck is this?

As I understand, it's something that's pulled up from below the Tokyo-3 ruins during Fourth Impact, but... yeah. The hell?

The first time I saw that, I thought I saw a mushroom. :lol:

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:18 pm

Didn't Anno say NME was meant for a broader audience, and would thus be easier to understand than the original show?

It seems even more confusing now...

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:40 pm

What trailer is this where you got those images from ?
ANATA BAKA !?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:22 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote:What trailer is this where you got those images from ?

Did you check the trailers thread?

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:I dislike jumping to the conclusion that this is people being turned into Eva-like beings, partly in that the numbers aren't enough

The "numbers" issue is handled by the fanwank I just posted about multiple people fusing together to make a single one. And after thinking about it a little more, I'll agree that "townspeople → Eva things" is not definitive. Seeing the shots in full-blown HD might help. E.g., if some of the beings are literally bursting out of buildings, that definitely sidles toward "transformed townspeople".

In case "totally new beings" is (closer to) the right answer, I'll cross-post my initial guess from the other thread:

Reichu wrote:So, Eva-01 started some kind of Impact event that, according to Ritsuko, would destroy all old life in favor of something new. All of these glowing red Evas, along with the annihilation of the Tokyo-3 populace, might be connected: perhaps the Evas were new, "deified" bodies partially formed out of Angel goo (which is provided in abundance at such impacting events; cf. 2I). All of Tokyo-3's residents would have been reborn into them, had the process not been aborted. But because Eva-01 was stopped, this army of Evas simply lay in ruin like so many aborted fetuses.

I should amend that with some horrible jokes from mIRC while I'm at it...
[Reichu] They're Eva-01's aborted babies :p
[Anti-Goth] *Kaworu at end of 2.22* SURPRISE ABORTION
[Anti-Goth] *SHANK*
[Reichu] Kittens weren't enough to satisfy his lust for infant destruction

Seele00TextOnly wrote:because something of that drastically ethereal a nature I would kind of expect to affect those in the 'eye of the storm'.

Well, you have the "eye of the storm" issue regardless of whether the red giants are transformed people or completely new beings, don't ya?

Clearly, Misato projects some form of Plot Armor. It was only able to protect her alone back in Second Impact, but, after going through puberty, she developed the ability to magnify this aura with her breasts, and can successfully shield an area as large as the Geofront.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:15 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Clearly, Misato projects some form of Plot Armor. It was only able to protect her alone back in Second Impact, but, after going through puberty, she developed the ability to magnify this aura with her breasts, and can successfully shield an area as large as the Geofront.

That seems more than a bit "hand-wavy" for a thread on impact mechanics!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

KnifeEyeAttack
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KnifeEyeAttack » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:35 am

Ok, this is only a single person's account of the imagery depicting what remains of the Geofront and the aftermath of 3I, but one person has said this:

Killbourne wrote:third impact happened and based on background scenery, it involved; Giant white Rei with those creepy empty eye sockets; part of the earth itself become her face, with a mountain range of teeth; millions of 01's formed of crystalizing LCL, clawing their way towards her through the ruins of cities, and the ruin of the geofront; almost everyone on earth dying (I think. There are no civilians in the entire film); Geofront absolutely destroyed (blood-soaked and ruined eva cages open to the sky, etc); terminal dogma filled with billions of 01 skulls, buried underneath untold millions of dead 01's like a giant red plate of flesh; surrounding a giant white decomposing headless Shinji body, reaching with one dead tentacle arm upwards, towards Giant Evil Rei who's head is on the command bridge, with giant dead eyes (surrounded by clawing 01s, reaching towards her, in the same position as the giant white dead Shinji in T. Dogma);

The white body being a decapitated Shinji reaching up to a giant Rei head, in the same fashion as thousands of these Unit-01 clones... Baffling...

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:16 am

third impact happened and based on background scenery, it involved; Giant white Rei with those creepy empty eye sockets; part of the earth itself become her face, with a mountain range of teeth; millions of 01's formed of crystalizing LCL, clawing their way towards her through the ruins of cities, and the ruin of the geofront; almost everyone on earth dying (I think. There are no civilians in the entire film); Geofront absolutely destroyed (blood-soaked and ruined eva cages open to the sky, etc); terminal dogma filled with billions of 01 skulls, buried underneath untold millions of dead 01's like a giant red plate of flesh; surrounding a giant white decomposing headless Shinji body, reaching with one dead tentacle arm upwards, towards Giant Evil Rei who's head is on the command bridge, with giant dead eyes (surrounded by clawing 01s, reaching towards her, in the same position as the giant white dead Shinji in T. Dogma);

The earth itself starts to turn into Rei's face??? Has H.P. Lovecraft's zombie body taken over writing the script for Evangelion or something?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

KnifeEyeAttack
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KnifeEyeAttack » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:22 am

Haven't seen mention of that little nugget anywhere else at all thus far, so it's being taken with a fistful of salt.

I'm more interested in the fact that the "white giant" seems not to be a headless Lilith, but in fact more resembling a headless Shinji...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”