Water in Eva 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Stiltzkin
Embryo

Water in Eva 3.0

•      
  •      

Postby Stiltzkin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:55 am

I apologize in advance if this has been covered already. I tried searching for it but couldn't find anything.

Anyways, I was watching the Rebuild 3.0 trailer earlier today and noticed the water was blue instead of red.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ErMRCvuJ1qM#t=42s

Thoughts?
I specifically asked for scrambled eggs!

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

There's an answer. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:20 am

You're referring to this, right?

SPOILER: Show

As you can see here, there are parts of the world where the water is still blue.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:49 am

Yeah, that red water only seems to be concentrated around the parts of the Earth that may have been effected by Second Impact. It makes sense that the farther away from ground zero you are, the more naturally colored the mater is.

Though, the aquarium scene in 2.22 would seem to suggest that very little of Earth's ocean life survived after Second Impact, even if the water wasn't discolored by it.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:49 pm

The water kind of doesn't even make sense. The water around Japan is obviously red, but every so often there's a shot where it appears blue - the shot with all the lights going out near the end of 1.11, for example. I'm mostly expecting Anno to pull some massive symbolic explanation for it out of his ass (or, better yet, set it up so Jimbo can pull some massive symbolic explanation out of his ass).
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:14 pm

The microscopic makeup of the water may have something to do with what color it is.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:55 pm

Second Impact released massive amounts of (apparently) the red "Angel blood", from an unknown source, and it dissipated throughout the world ocean from the South Pole. Freshwater bodies that are inland (e.g. Lake Ashi) or upstream from the ocean are still blue because they haven't been contaminated.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ricky O
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ricky O » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:26 pm

If we're gonna dive into this (AHAHA I'M SO SORRY), maybe we can surmise where the trailer is taking place? Or rather, where it isn't.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:54 pm

Sorry to burt your bubble, but during the prologue of 2.X, Mari's Entry Plugends up floating in the arctic sea (= as far away from the south pole as possible) and it's bloody red.
All the ocean is red, the "purple" earth seen from the moon is probably a result of the colors of red water and the blue airshell/atmosphere (Well, it's not blue, but it diverts blue light and thus looks blue if you stare through huge quantities of it) mixing.

The blue water in the trailer is either an oversight or indicates that the ship is floating in a lake or a more isolated part of the sea (i.e, something that is mostly surrounded by land - perhaps the actual dead sea.)
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:08 am

Yeah I'd bet anything that if that shot survives to the final product, the color is changed to red.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

BLUE! B)

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:12 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:The blue water in the trailer is either an oversight or indicates that the ship is floating in a lake or a more isolated part of the sea (i.e, something that is mostly surrounded by land - perhaps the actual dead sea.)

I dunno, this looks pretty blue to me, the RGB index at least puts it there anyway.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:40 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Sorry to burt your bubble, but during the prologue of 2.X, Mari's Entry Plugends up floating in the arctic sea (= as far away from the south pole as possible) and it's bloody red.

Shouldn't that just raise the question as to why there are two spots in the world where water is red while the surrounding oceans appear normal?

Ricky O
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ricky O » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:54 pm

So I'm guessing the red water disseminated from GZ in Antarctica... Maybe it just was more prone to flow towards the Pacific than the Atlantic?

This raises why it's always summer in Japan. I know there's a canonical answer, but if it has something to do with the rotation of the earth, then I'm sure you could find some science behind my last statement.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:59 am

Or, or, I'm just throwing this out there, maybe Anno just wasn't paying attention?
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

tomfrom994
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby tomfrom994 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:00 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Or, or, I'm just throwing this out there, maybe Anno just wasn't paying attention?

I side with this theory.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: BLUE! B)

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:37 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Image

I dunno, this looks pretty blue to me, the RGB index at least puts it there anyway.

That's no water, that's... cloud stuff or something like that. Or an oversight. It's supposed to be AMERICA. Seen from the moon, the wholer earth seemed reddish/purple, and neither of the kids had ever seen a blue ocean before/ Shinji said he couldn't even imagine that.
If the water around America was still all blue, ppl would know. America is not exactly unimportant/inconspicuous.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Hoshikawa-kun
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hoshikawa-kun » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:02 pm

[heavy amounts of conjecture ahead]

It makes more sense if we treat the red color less as water and more as a floating island, bearing less consistency than a real land mass.

Because our red "island" isn't attached to anything, it can drift through the earth's oceans. It's also bloody massive, covering the entire surrounding waters of Japan. Think of Japan as being at the island's "center"; at this point it's very difficult for any blue ocean to appear, because the island's mass is heavily concentrated here. Closer to the fringes the red color dissipates and mingles with the blue ocean, and eventually you can get far away enough from the island that you're...well, not in it anymore. The color's fringes spread and shift, moving around the earth without settling, while its center(Japan) stays the same.

Or otherwise, the center moves very slowly. This is more likely, seeing as it originated in Antarctica.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:28 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Or, or, I'm just throwing this out there, maybe Anno just wasn't paying attention?

In the shot on Kaworu on the moon, you can see the Earth in the distance and there's a clear gradient from red and hellish epicenter to the blue, natural-looking water in certain places of the Earth. Anno clearly has something specific going on, or that detail would not have been written in an animation script, drawn in storyboards, designed for the film, and build by various animation artists.

Clearly Anno is not the one who's attention is awry in this particular regard. I'm sure there are other things he may have missed, though.

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:28 pm

I hadn't even thought of this issue before.... time for fanwank!

My initial response to the red/blue patches is that the majority of the red is confined around Antarctica by ocean currents. Patches that broke off from the main source initially "latched onto" shorelines, creating a ring around them, sort of like how water in a bathtub "sucks up" around an object that's placed into it. This initial ring created a platform for more red stuff to "attach" to (???), and it grew wide enough to thoroughly destroy the marine ecosystem surrounding Japan and other coastal nations.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:14 pm

Image Dump

^ Arctic Ocean

^Europe, North Africa, and Middle East

^ Lake Ashi is blue until bled in

1st Branch vaporizing. Is there any reason to assume that the water here is ocean? The cross provides a rough sense of scale.

Earth being bluer on its fringes is an optical effect, due to the fact that you are looking through more layers of atmosphere.
Last edited by Reichu on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:03 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Image Dump

^ Arctic Ocean

^Europe and North Africa

^ Lake Ashi is blue until bled in

1st Branch vaporizing. Is there any reason to assume that the water here is ocean? The cross provides a rough sense of scale.

Earth being bluer on its fringes is an optical effect, due to the fact that you are looking through more layers of atmosphere.

so it would seem that the oceans are red and some lakes are blue
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”