Request: Unit 01's Face

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
evilhead008
Adam

Request: Unit 01's Face

•      
  •      

Postby evilhead008 » Sun May 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Hey, I haven't been here for quite awhile, but I recently picked up Rebuild 1.11 and 2.xx (forgot exactly which one it's on.) As usual, I quickly slipped into one of those "I don't understand it, time to look it up on Wikipedia" moods, although it was nowhere near as long/bad as it was after watching EoE.

So, basically, while browsing Unit-01's entry on the wiki:

"... Absent are the scenes where she shields Shinji from the falling lights and where Shinji sees her exposed face. However, a more direct intimation of Yui's presence in the Eva is provided much earlier, and Eva-01's face is still revealed in an easily-missed shot where she is being outfitted with the G-Type Sniping Equipment."

So I thought, "Woah, I want to see that!" But rebooting up 1.11 hasn't given me any answers; I assume I'm just too dumb to find the scene. Does anybody know where it is/could provide a screenshot? I've been looking around the Operation Yashima scene, but I don't think it's there...

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun May 15, 2011 7:45 pm

The quote you cited is referring to what's absent in Evangelion 1.11. If you'd like to see that face, refer yourself to NGE episode 02.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun May 15, 2011 8:11 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:The quote you cited is referring to what's absent in Evangelion 1.11. If you'd like to see that face, refer yourself to NGE episode 02.

Reading comprehension?

Anyway, here's the image. It's at 01:11:18 in my copy. Yui looks even more pop-eyed than usual, poor girl.

Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun May 15, 2011 8:18 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Reading comprehension?

Sorry, the part I was referring to was this:
"... Absent are the scenes where she shields Shinji from the falling lights and where Shinji sees her exposed face.

I pretty much ignored the rest.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun May 15, 2011 11:28 pm

WOW, I hadn't noticed that one.
Teh EYES! :gendo_kimura:
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

fadadio
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby fadadio » Mon May 16, 2011 2:43 am

thats not her face, it's the face of the Eva which is a clone of Adam, it's her soul that lies within it
I want Rei...GIVE HER BACK

LoCooLaidman
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LoCooLaidman » Mon May 16, 2011 11:27 am

^ Her soul is in the body... thus it's "her" body... err face. Just leave it at that.

Viking
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Viking » Mon May 16, 2011 5:16 pm

That's a bit sinister... possibly more than in the serie. :bigeyes:

Bye
俺は素人でもない。スペシャリストだ![ フルメタル

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon May 16, 2011 7:48 pm

View Original PostViking wrote:That's a bit sinister... possibly more than in the serie. :bigeyes:

Bye

Yep. Also, this time, no skin for us.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon May 16, 2011 8:34 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Yep. Also, this time, no skin for us.

Yeah, that kind of surprised me. Does Unit 01 wear a huge suit of bandages all the time? In fact, why was she all bandaged in episode 20, it's not like there was any significant injury to her head any more than there was here.

If anything, I'd expect not bandages but a full undersuit thing like Mark 06 has.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Mon May 16, 2011 8:49 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Does Unit 01 wear a huge suit of bandages all the time? In fact, why was she all bandaged in episode 20, it's not like there was any significant injury to her head any more than there was here.

If anything, I'd expect not bandages but a full undersuit thing like Mark 06 has.

That is probably to hold Unit 01's innards.. in, only reason it not having a full undersuit is that Mark 06 isn't a prototype (at least, I think everything after 02 is an full fledged Evangelion), ergo it is compatible(?) with the undersuit.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue May 17, 2011 7:08 am

I think the lack of displayed face is just meant to make stuff more mysterious, just like we're never shown the "face" of any SoL in their natural state.

Also, there are probably not really bandages - see those holes? They're probably related to how you attach the mask.

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Tue May 17, 2011 9:52 am

Those aren't holes, they're markings.
http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss250/Shrooom/eva01bandage.jpg

juaxoo
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby juaxoo » Tue May 17, 2011 10:32 am

View Original PostRodeo wrote:Those aren't holes, they're markings.
http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss250/Shrooom/eva01bandage.jpg

hmmm.... looks like EVA-01 uses crest whitening toothpaste lolol

on the serious (other) hand, its probably becuz its under water, and equipping it with sniping equipment, make the eyes bigger so u can see further, :)

fadadio
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby fadadio » Wed May 18, 2011 12:01 am

View Original PostLoCooLaidman wrote:^ Her soul is in the body... thus it's "her" body... err face. Just leave it at that.
that is akin to saying that if a parasite was within my body controlling my movements only in extreme circumstances and claiming my face was it's own. it's not her face it's the face of the beast within the eva. the only way it would be her facial expression is if she was in direct control(berserk) at the time of the fitting on the equipment. So unless she was trolling everyone with that bug eyed face then its just the way the Eva looks when its not under any direct control from either Yui,Shinji or the dummy plug.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed May 18, 2011 12:12 am

View Original Postfadadio wrote:that is akin to saying that if a parasite was within my body controlling my movements only in extreme circumstances and claiming my face was it's own. it's not her face it's the face of the beast within the eva. the only way it would be her facial expression is if she was in direct control(berserk) at the time of the fitting on the equipment. So unless she was trolling everyone with that bug eyed face then its just the way the Eva looks when its not under any direct control from either Yui,Shinji or the dummy plug.

It's actually more akin to saying that a once empty, soulless doll now occupied by a soul now belongs to the soul.

You're fallacious in suggesting that Yui's soul isn't always participating just because she's not always Berserk/taking full control of her body, and further so in suggesting that the Eva cannot be bug eyed if controlled by a soul. If I were to, for whatever reason, suddenly have a face like Karl Ruprecht Kroenen, and my eyes are always popping out, does that mean my soul is no longer active in my body (assuming, simply for the sake of argument, that the soul exists)?

EDIT: in other words, as a summation of my point, Yui is the beast within the Eva.
- Sachi

fadadio
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby fadadio » Wed May 18, 2011 1:41 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:It's actually more akin to saying that a once empty, soulless doll now occupied by a soul now belongs to the soul.

You're fallacious in suggesting that Yui's soul isn't always participating just because she's not always Berserk/taking full control of her body, and further so in suggesting that the Eva cannot be bug eyed if controlled by a soul. If I were to, for whatever reason, suddenly have a face like Karl Ruprecht Kroenen, and my eyes are always popping out, does that mean my soul is no longer active in my body (assuming, simply for the sake of argument, that the soul exists)?

EDIT: in other words, as a summation of my point, Yui is the beast within the Eva.
don't twist my words, I never said that the face could not be bug eyed due to Yui's influence. I said it would be pointless of her to take control at that moment and time just to make a face like that. I am pretty certain she could make that face and all kinds of other faces when in direct control of the Eva. so Unless you have footage of Yui looking into the camera at the moment of the picture winking and saying she has full control of the Eva and it's her body and her DNA within the Eva and she was infact making that face then your not Changing my opinion. : P

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed May 18, 2011 1:48 am

We've actually have a thread (which itself was a tangent) about this tangent. Continue on over here: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=3443

fadadio
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby fadadio » Wed May 18, 2011 2:09 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:We've actually have a thread (which itself was a tangent) about this tangent. Continue on over here: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=3443
judgeing from the start of the topic it was someone who denies that Yui can control the Eva or was in control during the Zeruel fight in the original series. What im trying to say is that the Eva is not her body. Sure she may control it from time to time but Im saying it in the litteral sense that Eva unit 1's DNA is that of Adam and NOT Yui. so its not her body it's the body of Cloned Adam that she has control of from time to time

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed May 18, 2011 2:25 am

View Original Postfadadio wrote:judgeing from the start of the topic it was someone who denies that Yui can control the Eva or was in control during the Zeruel fight in the original series. What im trying to say is that the Eva is not her body. Sure she may control it from time to time but Im saying it in the litteral sense that Eva unit 1's DNA is that of Adam and NOT Yui. so its not her body it's the body of Cloned Adam that she has control of from time to time

That's what the thread I linked was about. It was a tangent that was split from another thread so the opening post isn't really an OP, it's just split from a middle of a digression. It's about Eva being Yui;s body, thus why people call Eva-01 "Yui". If you want to continue this discussion, do it in the thread that I linked.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”