How was Mari able to control EVA Unit 02…?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sheena
Embryo

How was Mari able to control EVA Unit 02…?

•      
  •      

Postby Sheena » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:14 pm

Did I miss something? Is it possible, that the rule "You can only control an Eva with your mothers soul inside" was erased in Rebuild…?
In the Anime it never happens that any of the children control an Eva wich does not contain their own mothers soul. (except for Rei of course.)
The pilots are never really switched between Evas in the series, if I remember correctly…
But in Rebuild 2.0 it happens twice! Asuka as the test-pilot for Unit 03 for example. Isn't the soul of Tojis mother supposed to be in there…? However, we all know that 02 contains part of Kyokos soul, so it can't be in 03.
Why was Misato even given the duty to DECIDE who was going to be the test pilot?
Shouldn't it only be possible for one specific person to pilot an Eva- the child of the woman that provides the soul?

So, the second time is obvious- HOW THE HELL COULD MARI CONTROL UNIT 02?! How!??! Is she some kinda weird being like Rei, being able to control an Eva that obviously can't contain her own mothers soul? Did 05 contain her mothers soul then…?

Again- did I miss something?
Asukas German made me cry

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: How was Mari able to control EVA Unit 02…?

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:19 pm

View Original PostSheena wrote:Is it possible, that the rule "You can only control an Eva with your mothers soul inside" was erased in Rebuild…?

Probably. We don't yet know what allows pilots to control their Evas in Rebuild (except maybe Shinji). We are allowed to fanwank to our hearts content until the creators address the question.

P.S.:
To any other potential responders: don't cite Ep. 08 and Ep. 14 as examples for pilot mixing. Come on, you all know neither of those instances were as dramatic as the pilot switcharounds in Rebuild.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:32 pm

For what it's worth, the Eva-02's core was removed when it was put out of commision. Although there was practically no mention of it, it's possible the core was used for Eva-03 and some other core was used with Mari (she had technicians with her when she hijacked Eva-02).

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Re: How was Mari able to control EVA Unit 02…?

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:34 pm

It is strongly implied that the core used in the Unit 03 test is the same core which is normally in Unit 02 when Asuka pilots it. It is also shown directly (I think) that a new core is placed in Unit 02 when Mari hijacks it.

This doesn't necessarily explain how a core compatible with Mari came to be in Nerv HQ, however, since Unit 05's core is currently a fine mist dispersed over the Arctic Ocean.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:40 pm

I implore Reichu to break out the passage from the 2.0 CRC with the English background dialog from Mari's Eva hijack. To me, that sounds like they are simply rewiritng the access key to Unit-02's core, instead of putting in a new one.

Azathoth wrote:It is also shown directly (I think) that a new core is placed in Unit 02

Nothing like that is shown.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:11 pm

If I'm not mistaken, there isn't anything in the new movies that explicitly states that the souls of the mothers are present in the Eva. One very obvious omission from 1.0 was Unit-01 moving to protect Shinji from falling debris.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:16 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:If I'm not mistaken, there isn't anything in the new movies that explicitly states that the souls of the mothers are present in the Eva. One very obvious omission from 1.0 was Unit-01 moving to protect Shinji from falling debris.

However, it's made clear that Yui is in fact in Unit 01; the change in the scene is to show that Gendou's plan does not revolve around awakening Yui by her desire to protect Shinji, but rather by forcing Rei and Shinji together.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:03 am

Yui most definitely IS in Unit 01, Shinji mentions the inside of his Plug smelling like his mom and has visions of her as early as in 1.0.

Kyoko...? Well, there's no indication of her being in EVA 02, but the hints also came very late in the original series. That Asuka carries this doll with her suggests that Kyoko at least exists in Rebuildverse (Oh, and just an observation:I don't know whether it was in 25 or 22, but NGE!Asuka was shown to have picked up at least the head of one of Kyoko's dolls as a kid...)

As I got it, any compatible pilot could get into any eva, but it works a lot better with their mother in there - Rei has no mother and it still works. She is able to get into EVA 01 (except, of course, when Yui is pissed) and mentions in various instances that she could get into EVA 02 at any given moment, much to Asuka's displeasure. There was no problem with Shinji piloting EVA 02 (he was just a passenger at first, but later, he pushes her aside and grabs the controlls), and Shinji in EVA 00 worked fine at first, except for a lower synch rate (untill whatever was in EVA 00 disagreed with him) Also, the individual synch rates of the pilots: Rei's is the lowest because, well, no mom, Asuka's is next because half of her mother's soul is in there, and Shinji, after some training of course, training does seem to make a difference, surpasses her because Yui is entirely in EVA 01...

If that theory holds true, then there's little problem with Mari in EVA 02.

Another possibility is that Mari connects herself to the EVA itself, the "great beast" instead of the human soul within but that doesn't match anything previously established.

In any case, Mari's synch ratio must be insanely high, considering the degree of physical injury she tends to sustain.
Her burns from her first battle practically last the entire movie, she is seen with bandages when she lands atop of Shinji, and those bandages are later seen along with her discarded clothes when she readies herself for the final showdown.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:38 am

You're thinking NGE rules.

Far as Rebuild is concerned nothing official has been made to insinuate the Eva's besides Unit 01 (& possibly the "True Evangelion" Mark 06) have human souls in them.

There's still something going on beneath the surface of the Evas, but it's not official that the pilot needs to have a spiritual connection or emotional bond to the soul (or whatever spirit) is in the Eva.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:05 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:You're thinking NGE rules.

Far as Rebuild is concerned nothing official has been made to insinuate the Eva's besides Unit 01 (& possibly the "True Evangelion" Mark 06) have human souls in them.

There's still something going on beneath the surface of the Evas, but it's not official that the pilot needs to have a spiritual connection or emotional bond to the soul (or whatever spirit) is in the Eva.

that possibility is also there. Many "Rules" work different in Rebuild (plug depht, vatican treaty...)

Aozora
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Aozora » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:33 am

I have a feeling the other characters in Rebuild would be shocked Mari can pilot different Evas too. She just seeming to be bypassing the regular rules. I wouldn't conclude that the Eva's don't have souls in them from Mari's abilities.

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:30 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Yui most definitely IS in Unit 01, Shinji mentions the inside of his Plug smelling like his mom and has visions of her as early as in 1.0.

Also, in 2.0, Gendo calls Eva-01 "Yui" at one point.
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:47 am

View Original PostCOACH wrote:Also, in 2.0, Gendo calls Eva-01 "Yui" at one point.

Yeah.

Mari being a special case is also entirely possible - We don't know any of her backstory yet, tough I do think she's human.
NGE distinctly marks non-humans as such.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:57 pm

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:I implore Reichu to break out the passage from the 2.0 CRC with the English background dialog from Mari's Eva hijack. To me, that sounds like they are simply rewiritng the access key to Unit-02's core, instead of putting in a new one.

??: Final safety systems have been disabled. Removal of all restraining gear is now complete.
??: Entry plug currently moving into position. Thirty seconds to insertion lock position.
??: Core unit automatic reconfiguration sequence has begun.
??: Rewriting access key. The new designated pilot will be registered as Mari Makinami-Illustrious, pass code zero five.
??: Two minutes forty seconds until activation program start.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:50 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:??: Final safety systems have been disabled. Removal of all restraining gear is now complete.
??: Entry plug currently moving into position. Thirty seconds to insertion lock position.
??: Core unit automatic reconfiguration sequence has begun.
??: Rewriting access key. The new designated pilot will be registered as Mari Makinami-Illustrious, pass code zero five.
??: Two minutes forty seconds until activation program start.

Sounds to me like the very same core being "reprogrammed", like what Ritsuko does whenever Shinji refuses to pilot so Rei can get in.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”