Rally to Restore (Rebuild) Sanity

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:05 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:For one thing, since Eva is bigger in Japan than Star Wars is in the U.S., it would be fairly pointless for them to truly and completely attempt to realize the vision of creating a series that stands on its own completely, thematically, emotionally, from top to bottom.

I don't know. I'd like to think that if nothing else, Anno is way too arrogant to just throw in the towel like that before the fight even began.

It would be really great, once this movie series is completed, to have someone (or multiple someones) who has never seen NGE do an analytcal review on it. I think that, exactly because we have seen the original, most of us here can't even regard NME as a standalone work, as in, we are incapable, even if we would want to.

One thing is for sure: NME already taught me a valuable lesson by showing me how inordinately worked up i can get over some cartoon. I been having mood and opinion swings and anxious thoughts and all that jazz. It's scary, actually.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:34 pm

View Original Post1731298478 wrote:This famous scene shows his father and mother discussing names for a child. Gendo wishes to use the names "Shinji" and "Rei." Yui repeats the names. However, this time a very strange addition is made. She tests the name "Shinji Ayanami," and then the name "Rei Ikari." Afterwards, she says: chigau (that's wrong). Then she says: "Rei Ayanami," and an image of Rei flies towards Shinji. This image also occurred in Ep. 14, when Shinji tried to sync with Unit 00 and he felt Ayanami, or what seemed to be Ayanami, coming into his mind; afterwards Unit 00 went berserk. During the berserk Rei stands in the place Gendo had stood during her own berserk.

Ugh, the script for 1.11 and 2.22 really needs to be available to folks... Yui laughs after saying "Shinji", "Rei" THEN Rei (not Yui, but Rei) starts talking about "Shinji Ayanami. Ikari Rei. Wrong. Ayanami Rei!" before we see that creepy floating Rei.

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:One thing is for sure: NME already taught me a valuable lesson by showing me how inordinately worked up i can get over some cartoon. I been having mood and opinion swings and anxious thoughts and all that jazz. It's scary, actually.

I've had this too. I'd say lots of people have. It at least shows how passionate everybody is about Eva, but at the same time, it is rather scary, yes. >_>
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:49 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I've had this too. I'd say lots of people have. It at least shows how passionate everybody is about Eva, but at the same time, it is rather scary, yes. >_>

Oddly, things went in the opposite direction for me. I was originally kind of "meh" on Evangelion, but then I saw Rebuild and went "wow, that's kind of awesome." And then I started looking at why I liked it better than the series, which led to me going back to rewatch the series. This in turn led to me understanding and appreciating the series in ways I hadn't before. I said "huh, that holds together better than I thought it did. That's kinda cool." And then I looked at Rebuild again and went "whoa, not as awesome as I thought."

I still enjoy Rebuild; the action scenes are very pretty, and I'm curious to see where it's going. I'm just amused at the irony of it all.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:49 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:55 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:I'd say rather that Anno is way too arrogant to know his own whimsy and limitations before making such ridiculous proclamations as he did at the outset of this project, rudely insulting his peers in the industry and touting how great the landmark achievement NGE was. The whole thing contradicts my naive outsider notions of Japanese politeness and humble graciousness so much that I'm still getting the vapours and may be prone to fainting. Except seriously.

Okay then. Give ONE example from modern anime industry that has taken the medium into places Eva didn't already open.

You can't. Whether it's Haruhi or Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann they're all just marching through the door NGE opened.

NGE has been the last truly revolutionary anime series in spirit of Space Battleship Yamato, Mobile Suit Gundam and SDF Macross.

Anno's claim is entirely justified.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:07 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:31 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:Xard: I can't say I'm familiar enough with the vast majority of anime that has been out there to say, but that wasn't my point. I wasn't saying his statement wasn't justifiable, just that it was boneheaded, arrogant and rude. Typically respected/respectable professionals, especially in a place like Japan from what I understand, would not conduct themselves that way so publicly.

Well, he knew he was right. As did other japs in the industry, I guess.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:31 pm

View Original Post1731298478 wrote:This changed scenario also explains a minor but mysterious alteration at the outset of 1.11. When Sachiel fires a blast that penetrates into the geofront, Rei is knocked onto the ground and Shinji runs over towards her. In the original series, the arm of Unit 01 rises to protect Shinj from a series of falling lights. In Rebuild, we see these lights waver - but they do not fall, and the arm does not rise! In the original, this is a clear indication to everyone that Shinji will be able to pilot Unit 01 - it actively tried to protect him. Why would Anno omit this scene in the second iteration, even while subtly calling attention to its omission? The reason is as follows. In the original, we see Gendo half-smile when Shogouki raises its arm to protect Shinji; we can see that this is a conformation that his plan will succeed. In Rebuild, Gendo wears the same expression, even though Shogouki does not move: it occurs as he watches Shinji's reaction to Rei.

Ha. This is interesting because it's all stuff that's entirely visible on the surface, but you're the first person I've seen who's pointed it out - I missed the significance of it myself. Well put, and as clear a delineation as any of the difference between NGE's scenario and that of Rebuild: as Gendou makes clear by the end of 2.22, his purpose is to get an "awakened" Rei to fuse into an "awakened" Unit 01, a purpose to which Shinji developing an obsession with Rei is apparently integral. (I find it a little bit of a stretch that Gendou the emotional retard could come up with a plan this subtle, but frankly ReShinji behaves in such an emotionally retarded fashion that maybe it's simply a case of not-so-great minds thinking alike.)
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:40 pm

I get the sense this thread is starting to follow the trend of other ones with potential hostility.

If you want to discuss a particular aspect of NME, PLEASE remember to keep it civil.

(Edit: Shinji stuff moved into the appropriate thread.)

ran1
Banned

Re: Rally to Restore (Rebuild) Sanity

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:00 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:Let this thread be a clarion call for re-examinations of 2.22 and the exploration of those ideas. Let us not have to defend the films existence or attack the original series

That's really admirable, but, inevitably, I get the feeling that we're going to be treading over a lot of the same ground here -- and some people's feathers might be rustled -- maybe even mine.

I think that it's fair to say that Anno is quite aware of and in support of the messages he made in the original NGE and EoE. I think if we keep that in mind when watching something as apparently interpretable as the final act of 2.22, we might be able to narrow down a few of the possible messages. Some see this and decry poor directing/editing/writing, and that may well be so, but it is often the fan's plight to see past some things to intent.

As I've said, it's not the supposed "message" that is presented that I take issue with -- Anno can say whatever he damn pleases, for all I care. My issue is the presentation in which Anno chooses to deliver us 2.22's climax and Shinji's "fuck the world" statement.

My issue always was and has been Anno's lack of subtlety. In retrospective, EoE even may have been guilty of this, but Shinji's actions in 2.22 and his little "screw you" monologue goes right back to the "viewers are morons" trope. And this is looking at it objectively. I'm not even attempting to assail everything else at this point.

For example, the fact that Shinji's line about not caring about what happens to the world (or, as I prefer to interpret it, not caring if he isn't able to experience the rest of the world anymore) amidst the approval of the score, Misato, and various other 'cinematic grammar' is often interpreted as either an actual earnest support for his decisions and actions or abject 'trolling' on the part of Anno.

It's far too early to call any message that Rebuild is trying to present. That's like trying to objectively say that one knows where Eva was going towards following Episode 14. The only thing we can debate at this point is presentation of what Anno has given us thus far, which I have been consistent with.

However I think there is a third path here. Anno has almost always taken us along with Shinji on his often poor decisions to identify with him, to experience in emotional detail the feelings and perspective he comes from. This allows us to explore what it is like to run away, to give up, to return, to regret, to fight, to win and to lose all along with Shinji in the original series and movie. He often does this with other characters as well... I suppose it's what attracts me most to the franchise. Perhaps it is simple and done often elsewhere as well, but not in this manner... not in this way that I can identify with.

What makes this special now? What makes Anno's method in 2010 spectacular, revolutionary? Nothing. Any brilliance that Anno might be showing in Rebuild is overshadowed by the fact that he's done it before. I can't be impressed or even enjoy something like that with the knowledge that it's really just a watered down remake of the same style and themes. Rebuild gives me nothing original; therefore I have no issue saying it's not a great film by any means.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:12 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:My issue always was and has been Anno's lack of subtlety. In retrospective, EoE even may have been guilty of this, but Shinji's actions in 2.22 and his little "screw you" monologue goes right back to the "viewers are morons" trope. And this is looking at it objectively. I'm not even attempting to assail everything else at this point.

Uhhhhh? Elaborate.

View Original Postran1 wrote:What makes this special now? What makes Anno's method in 2010 spectacular, revolutionary? Nothing. Any brilliance that Anno might be showing in Rebuild is overshadowed by the fact that he's done it before. I can't be impressed or even enjoy something like that with the knowledge that it's really just a watered down remake of the same style and themes. Rebuild gives me nothing original; therefore I have no issue saying it's not a great film by any means.

originality =/= greatness

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:23 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:32 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Uhhhhh? Elaborate.

My feelings on the matter are thus (and IIRC, we've been over this ground before)

Allow me to use this Scorsese quote which summarizes my opinion succinctly:

Martin Scorsese wrote: There are many mistakes that a director must try to avoid at all costs. The first that comes to mind is redundancy -- making the point of a film over and over, either emotionally or intellectually... I sometimes see films which, at the end, a character either virtually or literally, make a speech or line of dialogue where he will explain what the film was all about. And that, I feel, is the worst thing you can do.

originality =/= greatness

In some cases, presenting something in an original manner can be one of the criteria that makes something great.

So, what are you trying to say?
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

MarcG19
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MarcG19 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:34 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Also known as: Macross Method

One of the most shocking moments in tv series (which based part of its shockinness on cruelly subverting original SDF Macross) was in turn subverted in yet another example of Kawamori playing with audience. Sure, you'd get the intended impact even without having seen the tv series but it's much, much stronger if one has seen the series.

Xard,

What scene iare you referring to? (feel free to PM if you don't want to post spoilers - I'm going on a long plane trip in a few days and will watch it again on my ipod).

Thanks!

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:42 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:My feelings on the matter are thus (and IIRC, we've been over this ground before)

Allow me to use this Scorsese quote which summarizes my opinion succinctly:

but what do you think *the film's point was*?!?!!?

That's kinda crucial for understanding what you're saying.

View Original Postran1 wrote:In some cases, presenting something in an original manner can be one of the criteria that makes something great.

So, what are you trying to say?

"Rebuild gives me nothing original; therefore I have no issue saying it's not a great film by any means."

This is pretty much "not original > automatically shiiiit"

and original NGE is hardly original either

View Original PostMarcG19 wrote:Xard,

What scene iare you referring to? (feel free to PM if you don't want to post spoilers - I'm going on a long plane trip in a few days and will watch it again on my ipod).

Thanks!

I really don't want to spoil that...If you're going to watch it soon I'd rather not tell you. Also, remember to get the 720p rip, 1080p has shitty audio encodes and DVDRip just fucking blows

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:46 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:but what do you think *the film's point was*?!?!!?

That's kinda crucial for understanding what you're saying.

What did you think it was, Xard?

"Rebuild gives me nothing original; therefore I have no issue saying it's not a great film by any means."

This is pretty much "not original > automatically shiiiit"

and original NGE is hardly original either

Oh god, you're thinking about originality in terms of narrative aren't you?

Stop that. It's really unbecoming.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:52 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:What did you think it was, Xard?

tits and wheee robot battles? :shrug:

that has nothing to do with what YOU think, however.

In retrospective, EoE even may have been guilty of this, but Shinji's actions in 2.22 and his little "screw you" monologue goes right back to the "viewers are morons" trope. And this is looking at it objectively. I'm not even attempting to assail everything else at this point.

Now my understanding of this entirely hangs on whether you think Anno intended Shinji's actions to be considered heroic and admirable in the end or immoral and subversive. I really don't know which version you mean.

View Original Postran1 wrote:Oh god, you're thinking about originality in terms of narrative aren't you?

Stop that. It's really unbecoming.

...what else could I possibly mean?

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:07 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:tits and wheee robot battles? :shrug:

that has nothing to do with what YOU think, however.

It's a series of films where there are cute girls doing cute things and effeminate males and some teen angst.

Now my understanding of this entirely hangs on whether you think Anno intended Shinji's actions to be considered heroic and admirable in the end or immoral and subversive. I really don't know which version you mean.

You're being incredibly short-sighted.

...what else could I possibly mean?

There's nothing original in NGE's plot. Just some rehashing of Freud and 80s mecha series.

Anno's method in dealing with montage, however is unique by making it focus on character rather than specific actions, which is basically taking Eisenstein and saying "fuck you lemme do this my own way" by creating a montage-narrative independent of action not dealing explicitly with the character presented in the montage HURR.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:26 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Ugh, the script for 1.11 and 2.22 really needs to be available to folks... Yui laughs after saying "Shinji", "Rei" THEN Rei (not Yui, but Rei) starts talking about "Shinji Ayanami. Ikari Rei. Wrong. Ayanami Rei!" before we see that creepy floating Rei.

ごめん!! I was looking at one of the fan transcriptions.
But, now I see the official script.
Very interesting ~

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:50 pm

View Original Post1731298478 wrote:ごめん!!

No worries, I just wish there were translated official scripts of both films (the DVD/BD scripts) at our disposal.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”