Celebrity RIP Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:06 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Oh fuck this. Just fuck this

I'm not old enough to be losing parts of my own childhood... I'll drink some dandelion wine to him.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:28 am

Goodnight, Cleopatra... and thank you.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:30 am

Rest In Peace, Ms. Taylor.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:03 am

Indeed. One of the all time greats...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:41 pm

I know I am kind of late to the death-day party, but I just heard that E-n-c-y-c-l-o-p-e-d-i-a D-r-a-m-a-t-i-c-a did naught get to da choppa :spout:

in tribute (RIP 2004-2011)

G*dd*mn you BookFa¢e and all you other "Web 2.0" B.$. ¢orporate media ha¢k arm¢hair tyranni¢al ¢omrade$, I hope when 12/21/2012 comes and goes that you all go with it because the Internet Hate Machine will not go so quietly into the night and karma is a beotch
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:24 pm

Not that I was big on ED, but why can't both sites coexist?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:49 pm

^because Sherrod Ellen DeGrippo, better known as "Girlvinyl", founder of ED, who srsly needs to get the Project Chanology treatment like no other, is a G*dd*mn greedy li'l pig of a sellout who is on her way to reaching the Tom Cruise level of infamy

this sudden corporate/PC-conversion of hers is so wildly cynical and money-driven on her part, it is as sick and wrong as ye olde "offended" page was on ED

this is the equivalent of m00t letting Twitter or Flickr buy 4chan, IT'S THAT BAD

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:50 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Not that I was big on ED, but why can't both sites coexist?

Exactly! ED is history. I didn't like it, but the site is an important part of Internet history and culture. And considering that it covers parts of the Internet that other reference sites plead willful ignorance to, a safe for work version is completely pointless.

But then again, point defeating replacements are incredibly frequent.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:08 am

The questions are, of course, was ED copyleft licensed, and did anyone make a backup of it?

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:42 pm

I liked ED, it was brutal and blunt and it had articles on subjects other sites would be too afraid to mention.

It was a very good source of information on internet culture, now all that information, gone.

EDIT: Holy shit! I knew anon would compensate and anon did, fast. They created a new ED.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:18 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote:The questions are, of course, was ED copyleft licensed, and did anyone make a backup of it?

Lurkmoarpedia and EncyclopediaDramatica.ch are both currently claimant to the throne...
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:32 pm

I'm not too concerned. If nothing comes of the backup, then I'm sure something similar to Encyclopedia Dramatica will be built from scratch. There are people that want it, so I'm sure there are people willing to make it. In a sick sort of way, I really admired Encyclopedia Dramatica. It was a massive, bubbling pustule of pure hatred, rendered into words; a grotesque scream for calamity and degradation that burrowed into the heart and brains of people who could stomach it. There's just something comforting about having a handy database for the worst of humanity.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:22 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Lurkmoarpedia and EncyclopediaDramatica.ch are both currently claimant to the throne...
the latter seems to be, ahem, "winning" in that department, they seemed to have gathered roughly most of the content of the original site

and for the pièce de résistance, this what that ridiculous woman had to say about her actions

it would be as if Steve Jobs did one of his presentations also saying blank-you-people like she did after selling his share of Apple to Microsoft or his share of Pixar/Disney to Uwe Boll or Michael Bay, it's just maddening

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:02 pm

The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:47 pm

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun May 01, 2011 8:50 pm

The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Mon May 02, 2011 12:12 am

Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Wed May 04, 2011 3:17 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote:I'm not old enough to be losing parts of my own childhood... I'll drink some dandelion wine to him.

Yeh. I know how you feel. I didn't report this when it happened, but Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith on Doctor Who) died a few weeks ago. I've only just kinda-sorta gotten over it now.

Whenever I wear my blue Tenth Doctor suit this year, it'll be accompanied by a black shirt.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed May 04, 2011 7:54 pm

View Original PostSharaz Destler wrote:Yeh. I know how you feel. I didn't report this when it happened, but Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith on Doctor Who) died a few weeks ago. I've only just kinda-sorta gotten over it now.

You need to come visit us over at http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=8848

P.S.: I wear the brown Tennant suit.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Thu May 05, 2011 4:00 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote:You need to come visit us over at http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=8848

Yes, I'd forgotten about that. Haven't visited this place in a while.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”