FML General Thread [3]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:37 pm

I'm really sorry to hear that muggy, that really really sucks. Feeling excluded and betrayed by pretty much all of your friends is always a pretty horrible experience, but the particularities of your situations make it way harder than it already is. I don't think any of your friends really intended to hurt or betray you (although i have a hunch you already know this) But it's more that they failed or fucked up, and their individual flaws interacted in concert with each other's to create a clusterfuck of which you seem to be the most affected. I'll be honest and say given what i have read of your friend and her relation to Mr. Director it definitively doesn't sound like a good idea to me either, if she's happy with that more power to her, but i'm inclined with your more concerned thoughts and worries about her relationship. Mr. Director (and to a lesser extent your ass-kissing friend) sound like hilariously huge fuck ups and idiots, i have gone through something vaguely similar (although not as intense) and what i did was just to walk away from that social circle, i don't know if that can help you but it's the only thing i can think to say.

I believe intelectually you already know this although i don't know if you emotionally believe it: It wasn't your fault, nor it was anyone's fault. It's just something that happened, the flaws of different people working together to make a really bad situation, in which you, for coincidence (and apparently being the one with greatest intelligence and foresight among them) are the one who gets the most hurt by it. I think i know what it's like to be betrayed and abandoned by all your friends, and i don't know if i ever came to terms with it, but all i can think to say is -once again- to just look forward. There is a high possibility you're feeling it's worse than it actually is because of your deppressive state but the fact your friends got you into such in the first place is already quite FML. I really don't know what i can say or what advice i can give, but i hope this can help you somehow.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:43 am

That's a pretty messed up situation you described, Muggs. But you have to realise it isn't your fault she got pregnant or could be potentially ruining her life by keeping the child. You brought them together but you had nothing to do with them starting the relationship that led to the pregnancy. They made their own choices and they have to live with the consequences, not you. So don't waste time beating yourself up over it. You haven't been a bad friend, in fact you seem to have been a better friend then any of them probably deserved.

And I think you should go the the baby shower, if only to put your mind at rest. Just remember that however things really stand it's not your place to feel bad about it or try to take responsibility for it.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:07 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:They made their own choices and they have to live with the consequences, not you. So don't waste time beating yourself up over it. You haven't been a bad friend, in fact you seem to have been a better friend then any of them probably deserved.

THIS.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Sgt. Griff » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:01 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:We live in a weird age in my opinion, on one hand you have people talking against anorexic supermodels but on the other hand it looks like it's exactly the model to follow...

Apparently we live in an age where it's taboo to be a healthy female. No idea why they place those expectations on themselves.
Leave Shinji alone

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:05 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:We live in a weird age in my opinion, on one hand you have people talking against anorexic supermodels but on the other hand it looks like it's exactly the model to follow...

I must have completely misinterpreted your comment in the Evangelion Pictures thread where you posted a pic of a slightly more filled-out Asuka and Rei and described it as "(...) the impossible weight gain, I still kinda like them though." Because saying "I still kinda like them" implies to me that their weight gain should have made them less attractive.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Speaking of Forgotten past... B/

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:13 am

^ It's their impossible figures that makes me wonder if I could ever accept a live action version of them.

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:I hope we actually get smarter people... technocrats, really, to run this country than movie stars and warlords.

You know that famous quote, where President Eisenhower warned about the "Military Industrial Complex"? Well, there was more to that:

The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present – and is gravely to be regarded.

Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite.

And FYI, we did have this, in the 60's. They were called the Whiz Kids.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:23 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I must have completely misinterpreted your comment in the Evangelion Pictures thread where you posted a pic of a slightly more filled-out Asuka and Rei and described it as "(...) the impossible weight gain, I still kinda like them though." Because saying "I still kinda like them" implies to me that their weight gain should have made them less attractive.

I think that they were possibly a little too "chunky", if you pass me this term, but I like curvy girls in general, I thought that it was evident from my fetish with bubble butts.
View Original PostSgt. Griff wrote:Apparently we live in an age where it's taboo to be a healthy female. No idea why they place those expectations on themselves.

The problem is understanding what is a healthy woman for this schizophrenic society.

EDIT: the idiocy is strong today in BBC, FML, I should really change news site:
Euro should learn from France guaranteed CFA franc
"England fuck yeah, France booohhhh"
What is this shit?
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:07 am

View Original PostSgt. Griff wrote:Apparently we live in an age where it's taboo to be a healthy female. No idea why they place those expectations on themselves.

Not to be rude, but i have to admit i find this comment kind of hilarious, specially on the second line. :lol:
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Woes of the BBC? Overstated. Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:39 am

Did you read the second one? The writer has lived in France for 16 years, and has made several cross-channel visits. They are just one person of course, but it's not unreasonable to say that they may have an accurate read on the pulse of French attitudes right now.

To the first, I can't say whether the comparison is fair, but I'm personally not above looking at other countries for examples of successful economic policy. When it comes to Africa, Botswana comes to mind. Not perfect, and they've recently become more statist, but how they turned around their country from being the 3rd poorest in the world, to one with an established middle class in just 40 years, is certainly something to be admired.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:02 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Did you read the second one? The writer has lived in France for 16 years

Yeah but I have the strong impression that he's brushing under a carpet almost all the recent and current issues of England while focusing on the current and possible future issues of France.
View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:To the first, I can't say whether the comparison is fair, but I'm personally not above looking at other countries for examples of successful economic policy.

The writer is comparing apples with oranges, it's not a matter of looking down on other countries, we just have completely different situations.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:08 am

View Original PostSgt. Griff wrote:Apparently we live in an age where it's taboo to be a healthy female who isn't thin.

FTFY. No one seems to have anything against healthy folks who aren't fat.

No idea why they place those expectations on themselves.

Walk by a newsstand sometime and take a look at the magazine covers and it should start to click. Also, turn on a TV.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

CJD
Banned

Re: Speaking of Forgotten past... B/

Postby CJD » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:13 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:And FYI, we did have this, in the 60's. They were called the Whiz Kids.

And it got us to the moon.

Also, not to disrespect Eisenhower, but times were different.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:05 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:EDIT: the idiocy is strong today in BBC, FML, I should really change news site:
You only just realized that? It's just the outpourings of the Guardianista bien-pensant North London set, which leads to a very skewed worldview.

Still they're right about the Gare du Nord being in a less than inviting bit of town, even when compared with King's Cross at the other end of the line.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:05 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:You only just realized that? It's just the outpourings of the Guardianista bien-pensant North London set, which leads to a very skewed worldview.

Actually they occasionally look almost chauvinist rather than bien-pensant, anyway generally they're not that bad, especially considering that they're a public service broadcaster.
View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Still they're right about the Gare du Nord being in a less than inviting bit of town, even when compared with King's Cross at the other end of the line.

Well, they can even be right on that point but I think that he was still making too many generalisations.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:13 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:EDIT: the idiocy is strong today in BBC, FML, I should really change news site:
Euro should learn from France guaranteed CFA franc
"England fuck yeah, France booohhhh"
What is this shit?

Not sure why you are so upset. The first piece asks a valid question - Why CFA Franc is so lasting and whether it has something for Euro to learn from. The second is just a reporter writing his view about the palpable difference he can feel in the national mood in the two neighbouring countries he spent a lot of time in. It is not a news report.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:36 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Not sure why you are so upset.

Because it's fine when they tease us (Italians) by saying: "Italian diplomats now have to use English to speak with the Libyans, gnegnegne!" or when they feel themselves all mighty and important because a private university in Milan is soon going to teach only in English (implying that Britons have something to rejoice about that), but now they're just being ridiculous.
View Original Postsymbv wrote:The first piece asks a valid question - Why CFA Franc is so lasting and whether it has something for Euro to learn from.

Probably because there's a fairly different socio-economic and political situation? What should we learn from the CFA Franc? That we should pick a dictator for each European country and ask to someone, the USA probably, to guarantee our currency in exchange for a loss of sovereignty?
View Original Postsymbv wrote:The second is just a reporter writing his view about the palpable difference he can feel in the national mood in the two neighbouring countries he spent a lot of time in. It is not a news report.

I just had the impression that it was the usual anti-French sentiment, which dates back to some centuries ago, mixed with a good degree of cheap self-gratification.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:51 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Because it's fine when they tease us (Italians) by saying:

That is one thing. The two articles are something else. You can blame BBC or whatever when they tease the Italians, but I do not see a particular problem with the two articles mentioned here.
View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Probably because there's a fairly different socio-economic and political situation? What should we learn from the CFA Franc? That we should pick a dictator for each European country and ask to someone, the USA probably, to guarantee our currency in exchange for a loss of sovereignty?

Actually I am thankful you brought my attention to that article because I think it is quite well written on a topic that is not usually brought up. I am not sure if you actually read it in detail, but it started by going through a bunch of conditions like Lack of Scrutiny (negotiations can take place behind doors), Top Down Decision Making and Peg to Euro (with guarantee of French treasury) that are impossible for Euro to imitate. But it also mentions something that Euro may want to consider - like more forceful obligations for fiscal discipline for the member country, which is something, if I remember correctly, that you also agree.
View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I just had the impression that it was the usual anti-French sentiment, which dates back to some centuries ago, mixed with a good degree of cheap self-gratification.

But then I will not be surprised at all if a French reporter who lives in UK for a dozen years would write an account that said how he feels France is still better in national mood or prospect compared to UK and it will be published in a major French newspaper or media website. Besides, I do not really see any mocking or sarcasm that shows an anti-French sentiment there. Perhaps not very objective but it is not really anti-French.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:52 pm

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:As far as the quoting of BrikHaus's advice goes:

1. I don't watch much anime. Maybe 2-3 series per year at the very most.
2. I've been around enough girls who've eventually confessed to liking me that I'm getting somewhat of a good spidey sense about that shit.
3. ... maybe I should actually give some of those girls who like me a shot.

I'm glad someone is around to give out my advice when I'm not here.

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:How come it seems like the girls who clearly show attraction to me are all kind of... shtoopid? Are the smart ones just better at hiding it?

Who cares? Just go for it. Don't save yourself for your future spouse. Date and have fun and see what happens.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Speaking of Forgotten past... B/

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:32 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:And it got us to the moon.

As much as I would love to blame them for the one-time NASA infrastructure which served to block us from ever going to Mars, that's not where they held clout.

Playing Vietnam like a giant video game where we treated the enemy as an idiot, forcing aircraft to take the same attacks routes over and over, ignoring the SAM sites being set up right under them... Yeah, that's totally on them.

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Sgt. Griff » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:04 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:FTFY. No one seems to have anything against healthy folks who aren't fat.

Healthy=/=fat in all circumstances. Fat acceptance is one of the flagships of my generation's destruction.
Leave Shinji alone

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”