So what the heck's in Finland?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:05 am

So when exactly you're coming? If the timing fits and I'm crazy enough it might be possible for me to make a visit to Helsinki one day (might even meet BiQ this way as he had to skip our unofficial finnfag meetup few weeks earlier, hah)

Can't promise anything. I'm much more familiar with likes of Turku and Tampere than with Helsinki (of which I'm not particularly fond of) so I doubt I'd be too useful when it comes to showing things but...

oh, and coming in late October to Helsinki is going to really, really suck in terms of timing. Helsinki and Finland in general are great in late spring and summer (and I'm fond of of our snowy winters too, though for that Helsinki is not ideal location either) but coming here in late October is most likely going to be grey, dark, cold and miserable aka the fall at its absolute worst.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Re: So what the heck's in Finland?

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:10 am

Bagheera wrote:So what the heck's in Finland?

Mosins, kitchen knives, surly siblings, and perkele...

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:14 am

Also, about eating: If chinese-malesian cuisine and especially curry tofu (or chicken, I've heard it's in this case basically the same dish with different "meat") is your thing, I strongly suggest trying out [url]http://www.newbamboocenter.com/2[/url]. ("ma-pe" means Monday-Friday, "la" means Saturday and "su" means Sunday.)

Be forewarned, though: the interior is as cheap and "kitchy" as chinese restaurants can get (and then some) and service is either happily-in-your-face or flegmatic depending who's serving you, it's noisy, small and usually a bit crowded but... THAT CURRY. It's the best in Helsinki (and I daresay I have this stuff covered quite well for downtown area, at least for those who serve tofu versions of their stuff, which means most of them) and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the best in Finland. Okay, maybe I've skewed taste in food, but I'm not the only Helsinkian who swears by that curry. However, it's more malesian/thai type than chinese, I think, just so you know. And one more thing: they don't serve any alcohol (well, maybe some 2,7 % low-alc beer) thanks to their rent agreement. The building is owned by some temperance movement org or something...

And about A21 that's mentioned in that wikitravel page; I can vouch for them too. They are costly as hell and they take their sweet time to make those drinks but they really are worth it.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:33 am

Say BiQ, what do you think about the Japanese restaurants in Helsinki (and I mean restaurants, not those darn sushi bars all over the place)? I've never been to one there...

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:43 am

They are usually ...pricey. Personally, I think Koto is kinda nice, and the only other one I've been into is Kabuki which is a little bit more... "homely" if you will. Personally, I think I liked Koto a bit more interior/feeling-wise but YMMV. (caveat: I haven't been in Koto since they moved to a new location) Food is good in both of those places, as far as I can tell with this limitation of mine.

EDIT: Bagheera: where will you be most of the time during your visit? Even if it isn't at the capital, chances are there is something that's worth your while to see regardless. If for nothing else, to experience the drab reality of Finland. :P

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:25 pm

Ooh, many responses! Wonderful!

@BiQ: I'm a guy with serious avoidant tendencies, so, ah, no clubbing for me. Socializing with EvaGeeks = :thumbsup: , while hanging with the cool kids = :hide: . Sad but true. And I am envious as hell of you folks who manage to both.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations. Malaysian/Thai food is right up my alley so that should prove helpful.

@Dr. Nick: Shitty weather does not phase me. I survived the letdown of Minnesota winters after growing up in San Diego, CA, so eight month winters with no sun are the norm for me.

The Mannerheim Museum sounds interesting; looks like Mannerheim himself was a pretty cool guy. I'll check it out.

@Xard:We get there the morning of the 25th and leave the morning of the 27th. I think we'll be in Helsinki for the duration, but it depends on what's available as far as day trips and such (sounds like a whole lot of not much, so checking out the museum and local restaurants might be the bulk of the itinerary).

And don't worry about being a tour guide. The purpose of the post was more to find people than things to do. -o-; Learning about history and such is good. Making new friends is much, much better. :boingy:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:09 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:@Final Messenger
For example, in Narvik, a northerly city in Norway (much more to the north than Helsinki), on Dec 05 there will be less than one hour of day time and after that it will be 24 hour darkness until Jan 08.

Well that’s pretty interesting to learn thanks Symbv (I might of learned this earlier if I took grade 10 geography though :lol:) I think living in constant darkness would mess up my sleeping habits though :lol: but it would be nice to experience 24 hours of darkness.

Oh and have a nice trip Bagheera :)
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

THE LIGHT! IT BURNS US! BO

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:50 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:Well that’s pretty interesting to learn thanks Symbv (I might of learned this earlier if I took grade 10 geography though :lol:) I think living in constant darkness would mess up my sleeping habits though

Not as much as the sun still being up at 9-10:00, trust me on that.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:14 am

So, have you figured out what you'll be doing in Finland?
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:57 am

View Original PostOz wrote:So, have you figured out what you'll be doing in Finland?

Hopefully seeing the Mannerheim museum, eating in half a dozen local restaurants, and pestering the local EvaGeeks. I planned on PMing details to you, BiQ, and Xard sometime this weekend if y'all are amenable to such.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:13 am

I can probably take a day off (it's not like they're going to teach anything too difficult next week) next week to come see you and hopefully BiQ too but I'd need to know the day. I can take a morning train to Helsinki and get back on evening but I can't do that unless I do which day we're talking about

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:25 am

Well, I arrive Tuesday at 8:30 a.m. and depart Thursday at 11:25 a.m. So, Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm open to either day, but Wednesday would probably work best since I'll be wanting to sleep most of Tuesday afternoon.

Maverick
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Maverick » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:26 am

I hear that one should stay away from coffee... they say it's the worst in the world :P
Boo!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:36 am

That describes all coffee for me, so it's not an issue here. :lol:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:03 pm

Re: So what the heck's in Finland?

I'm shocked and appalled that nobody has linked to THIS yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6ecLjGn7D4

(Spamalot version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmBlUb2dcsk )
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

simon
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby simon » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:50 pm

I heard Santa lives in Norway :)
"Images, quotes, and code tags are not allowed in Signatures."
Just some awesome polish art site:fototapety

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

I'm Finnish, but you can keep going. B)

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:58 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I'm shocked and appalled that nobody has linked to THIS yet.

*Slaps her with a herring* "YOU RACIST BASTARD!" That's why!

On the other hand, I'm elated to see further evidence that Family Guy lied to me.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:03 pm

Given that it's 3AM lack of many words can be forgiven. For now:

Meetup with BiQ and Bagheera was a success!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:09 am

Much fun was had. @topic: me!

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:58 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:^
^
Sunset at 5pm is nothing to people in Finland.

In the shortest day (winter solstice) the sun sets at around 3:15pm and the day lasts less than 6 hours

If Helsinki's worst day is about 6 hours long, I think I'd be just fine. ...Not that I'm going to Helsinki anytime soon.

(Background: Except for very recently, I've been going to bed at sunrise for most of the past 6 years. This past summer I woke up at 4pm on a regular basis, so I was experiencing only about 5 hours of daytime anyway. And during the winter... there were actually stretches of days where I saw almost no sunlight at all.)
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”