[MANGA] [NGE] Quick question

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Fainne Roisin
Embryo

[NGE] Quick question

•      
  •      

Postby Fainne Roisin » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:43 pm

Because I'm not entirely clear on this:
Did this manga come out before or after the anime series? And if it came out after, wasn't there a manga that appeared (I think in Shonen Jump?) before the anime?

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:45 pm

After.

The manga was done by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto. It was his take on the anime.

The anime was directed/created by Hideaki Anno.

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Quick question

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:54 pm

Fainne Roisin wrote:Because I'm not entirely clear on this:
Did this manga come out before or after the anime series? And if it came out after, wasn't there a manga that appeared (I think in Shonen Jump?) before the anime?

It came out after.

The magazine was Shounen Air but it was Sadamoto's manga. It was actually serliezed after the anime.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:55 pm

Actually, while the bulk of the manga has been put forth long after the debut of the series, the first few stages actually came on the scene before the series premiered.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:08 pm

Yes, but the series was still "un-publically" released at that time.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:13 pm

Tsu-chan wrote:Yes, but the series was still "un-publically" released at that time.

That doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm in the process of finding exactly what stages came out before, during, and after the TV series.

The manga began BEFORE the anime. Something like the first volume was produced before the show. Volume 2 was produced during. I need to find out the publication dates of the individual stages.

For all intensive purposes, the manga was largely produced after the anime. But, to be technical, the manga predates the anime.

Fainne Roisin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fainne Roisin » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:53 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Tsu-chan wrote:Yes, but the series was still "un-publically" released at that time.

I'm in the process of finding exactly what stages came out before, during, and after the TV series.

The manga began BEFORE the anime. Something like the first volume was produced before the show. Volume 2 was produced during. I need to find out the publication dates of the individual stages.

For all intensive purposes, the manga was largely produced after the anime. But, to be technical, the manga predates the anime.
Thank you.

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:53 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:

Yes but since Sadamoto was involved in Eva he probally knew about the plot of the first episodes before Anno publically released them.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:12 am

Tsu-chan wrote:Yes but since Sadamoto was involved in Eva he probally knew about the plot of the first episodes before Anno publically released them.

Well of course, but the project intended to create the two in simultaneous release. But the anime got delayed. Sadamoto got a head start before the first episodes were finished. But he obviously knew how it was going to turn out thanks to story boards and the work in progress. As you can see from the manga, Sadamoto has used the anime as a storyboard. You can see framing and shot composition from the anime in the manga. But Sadamoto diverges on occasion, offering something new.

This isn't a matter of what influenced what, it's a moot point. What you need to know is that.

--Eva was originally invisioned as an animation series
--it became a comic and animation series
--the manga hit the stands well before the anime
--the anime completed long before the manga (will finish)

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:28 pm

Everyone is stating this in too confusing a manner. To boil it all down: even though the Manga started publishing before the Anime started airing, the Manga is based on the Anime. The opposite is true for most shows. The early episodes don't resemble the early Manga stages because Anno was copying Sadamoto. It's because Sadamoto had script access.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

lyricaldanichan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lyricaldanichan » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:31 am

thewayneiac wrote:Everyone is stating this in too confusing a manner. To boil it all down: even though the Manga started publishing before the Anime started airing, the Manga is based on the Anime. The opposite is true for most shows. The early episodes don't resemble the early Manga stages because Anno was copying Sadamoto. It's because Sadamoto had script access.

What he said and yes it came before the anime because I remeber picking up shonen ace in july of 95 and went OMG gainax and hey this is some new sadamoto series!

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”