Adeptus Evangelion: A Neon Genesis Evangelion RPG

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Black Mesa Janitor
Embryo

Adeptus Evangelion: A Neon Genesis Evangelion RPG

•      
  •      

Postby Black Mesa Janitor » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:58 pm

Hello Evageeks.

Some time ago, I released version 1.0 of ADEPTUS EVANGELION on the Traditional Gaming board of 4chan. This game has since been improved into its current form (Version 2.0) and is an ongoing project in the Rizon IRC #Adeptus Evangelion.

It recently came to my attention that, apparently, Adeptus Evangelion had managed to go unmentioned here, and I figured that (given its subject material) this might be something that you would all be interested in.

The game itself is a modification of the DARK HERESY role playing system, and you will need access to the Dark Heresy Core Rulebook in order to play it.

It may be downloaded here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6JAJPHIL

As always, any questions, comments or suggestions that you are willing to offer would be appreciated. As I mentioned before: it is an ongoing project.

I will warn you here and now, though, that certain details have been changed for the sake of the game itself to work (mainly in the form of setting cohesion resulting from a general lack of information on a post-Second Impact world and the need to provide a system capable of supporting general games).

Enjoy.

- Black Mesa Janitor, Project Director of Team AdEva.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:00 am

[s:3crr5rk7]Question. Is Mari a playable character? and if not have you considered it?
[/s:3crr5rk7]
ADDITION: I'm pro Aperture Science in the great shower curtain race.

EDIT" Never mind. I downloaded and looked at it. Looks funn if I actually had friends to play with.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Black Mesa Janitor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Black Mesa Janitor » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:11 am

> Question. Is Mari a playable character? and if not have you considered it?

Well, that depends on what you mean by 'playing Mari'.

In general, you do not play the actual characters of NGE themselves. Unless you are specifically playing in the canon universe, the main characters of NGE are unlikely to even exist. You are assumed to be making original characters to pilot original Evangelions. You are not even required to have your Geofront be in Japan, or even be a Geofront at all!

For example: in one currently running game, the Base of Operations is instead a series of massive barriers built around the former South Pole to prevent a foreign contaminant spreading from the site of Second Impact from infecting the earths oceans. The 'Angels' are trying to break out through this line.

However, playing a character that is LIKE Mari would be a matter of choosing whatever skill set of hers your wished to emulate and basing your character around such.

That said: given the unfinished nature of Rebuild, we have specifically avoided design decisions built purely on material from Rebuild itself. So some of Mari's more distinctive moves (like the Beast Mode) are not officially available.

That said, anyone who has played an RPG before knows that 'officially available' is easily overcome. Rule 0 is a wonderful thing...

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:39 pm

Can you play in the series universe and the mangaverse?

Do plan to update once the rebuild movies all come out?

Are the rules only for playing pilots or are their rules for playing adults? (child soldiers aren't the best at games of intrigue after all.)

Siege
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Siege » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:56 am

Sort of stealing the response from BMJ himself, but playing in both the universe and mangaverse are possible, and stats are all there for tailoring a Eva to be very much like it's series counterpart. For example, there's special perks for cranial horns and unrestrained jaws, like Eva 01 has.

Also, if you don't feel like playing as the canon characters proper, several games began operating alongside "normal" series canon, albeit with changes. NERV Atlantis, for example, is situated midway across the pacific (inb4 illogical etymology) and is full of "beta pilots" that intercept proto-angels and other threats before they reach NERV Japan. They've already stopped Gaghiel ahead of schedule and had visits from Gendo and Ritsuko.

Other games eschewed the idea of the Geofront being in Japan and have instead located it in places such as Berlin, London, Sydney, or Massachusetts.

Others have taken the idea of a "reboot" because of third impact literally, and one campaign's endgame reveal was that third impact already happened, and several of the "evas" were in fact re-purposed angel corpses from before. Asuka was a Trident pilot instead of an Eva pilot, which was fun to see.

Rebuild material has been considered and debated, and many people are very torn about including it now or later (since it's all so damn cool), so the general consensus is "don't touch it until the movies are complete." A few other things are getting this treatment too: mainly ANIMA stuff, F-type armor (mostly because it's overpowered to the extreme according to the source material/play-testing variants) and some prototype classes that ended up being silly.

Personally, I'm pushing for them to include the positron/beam jigsaw weapon that Mari used in Rebuild 2.0.

For the last question: one of the key roles in any campaign is that of the Operations Director which is often filled by an older character, and to accommodate this the character "archetype" of Second Impact Survivor was created. They're considered to have lived through any torment caused by Second Impact and remember the times before the seas ran red with blood, etc.

Since some Operation Directors were bored of not being able to participate in combat (or some really resourceful player hijacked a tank and took it into battle against an angel, I don't know) they decided to create a secondary class supplement for the Operations Director: the Field Marshal. They can either be Trident pilots that command from the front with the other pilots, or be made A10 sensative (somehow) and get an Evangelion of their own.

Other classes that are still in progress (from what I remember) are "robojock", which is a character geared specifically for Tridents, the fan-made "Valkyrie" series of mechs (although now no longer officially supported, but still statted) and "Jet Together"/"Jet Magnum" which are a fan-made and pilotable continuation of the Jet Alone series for wannabe super robot heroes.

If both still don't tickle your fancy, templates exist for making a vanilla NERV bodyguard or Section 2 agent. They might need some tweeking/houseruling but they are otherwise workable.

In hindsight, we don't have that much prepared for characters that aren't either pilots or Operation Directors. I'll probably have to bring it up in the channel later on.
IRC.Rizon.net #AdeptusEvangelion

Olympus Mons
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Olympus Mons » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:18 am

Right. AdEva Developer here; clarifying a few points.

View Original PostSiege wrote:A few other things are getting this treatment too: mainly ANIMA stuff, F-type armor (mostly because it's overpowered to the extreme according to the source material/play-testing variants) and some prototype classes that ended up being silly.

F-type armor WILL make an appearance, but when it does the scale of power will be so different as to make it negligible when compared mechanically with the default loadout.

We have, however, mined a lot of alternate-universe and supplementary material (including ANIMA) for inspiration.

In hindsight, we don't have that much prepared for characters that aren't either pilots or Operation Directors. I'll probably have to bring it up in the channel later on.

Sadly, even if there were plans for this, we just have too much to work on to include them.

That said, with the Operations Director getting a revamp soon (about to be in testing stages for the record), there certainly could stand to be more detail on section 2 agents, whether as special variants of Contacts or something else entirely.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:57 am

It's a very minor point, but you left out some devisions of NERV in the 'welcome' manual that simply must exist, even if only as sub-divisions:

Medical - Nerv Cranial hospital staff and emergency response units

Accounting - Whomever writes the checks, probably organizing various stock investments and employee pension funds

Legal - Handles the gazillion lawsuits filed after every battle, settles pilot guardianship issues, and handy to keep around should the various humans rights abuses Nerv perpetrates be exposed.

Human Resources - Hires, trains, disciplines and deals with grievances among low-level staff

Plant Maintenance - Janitorial, sanitation, firefighting, various construction-related fields, tech support... all the non-classified work required to keep the basic infrastructure in working order and to stem off mundane crises.

Shipping and Receiving - Tames the logistics of processing and storing the mountain of supplies of all sorts that must flow through Nerv on a daily basis, as well as internal mail delivery.

Hospitality Services - Refills the vending machines, stocks the employee lunges, provides service in the cafeteria and handles cleaning/laundry needs of on-site living quarters.

Asset Management - Oversees the many real estate properties, company vehicles, and other non-classified physical investments that Nerv owns and arranges insurance coverage.

Corporate Management - Maintain oversight of Nerv's many subsidiary companies, including the various fronts for Marduke Institute members and the staff of school district 707 (though most such employees have no idea whatsoever who they really work for)

Other Nerv Agencies - All of the other facilities report to Gendo too, and each almost certainly has it's own versions of all the divisions above.

Now, does any of this really matter? Probably not, but if you've got people playing the roles of administrators then these sort of details offer opportunities to throw all sorts of headaches around in ways a fan of the show probably never dreamed of.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Siege
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Siege » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:10 am

Yeah, it's definitely implied that any number of subsections of NERV exist for the Operations Director to be fucked over by, but we never created a consolidated list like the one you have there (other than the "random plot stuff" list but even then...). If anything, hopefully Mons or BMJ will take a peek at it and try to include some stuff in for the OpDir update if they can.

Otherwise, the impact of those sections on the player characters is probably limited to what the GM can come up with as plot devices, as micro-management of those subsection by an OpDir would no doubt slow down the game to a crawl and leave out most of the pilots/other players (unless a few are involved, but even then, what can they do but go with the flow?).

I've yet to be put into a psychotherapy session from an encroachment angel, but I know others have so a designated psychotherapist/medical staff have existed before.
IRC.Rizon.net #AdeptusEvangelion

Olympus Mons
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Olympus Mons » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:26 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:It's a very minor point, but you left out some devisions of NERV in the 'welcome' manual that simply must exist, even if only as sub-divisions:
Now, does any of this really matter? Probably not, but if you've got people playing the roles of administrators then these sort of details offer opportunities to throw all sorts of headaches around in ways a fan of the show probably never dreamed of.

That's actually a great idea. We really didn't touch the welcome manual between changing from version 1 to version 2 because our hands were full as it is (same reason there are all those typos). There'll never be a version 3, but we will put out a "2.22" with little fixes and changes like that.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:06 pm

Well, like I said for a typical game as pilots it probably doesn't matter in the slightest, but background info like that is solid gold in the hands of a creative GM. The big flashy events are what people remember, but thoughtful detail is what makes immersion work.

Say for example the characters pilots wanted to throw a surprise party at Nerv HQ for one of the senior officer's birthday. Just immagine the hoop-jumping that could be involved in negotiating the bureaucratic nightmare that is Nerv for something this ordinary, and all the 'little people' that would be introduced along the way. Realizing the massive scope of how many people are depending on and supporting the pilots every day could be quite a powerful session, no?

On a related note, I skimmed through the system but my favorite part by far was the description of world conditions after 2I. Excellent work there, gents.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Olympus Mons
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Olympus Mons » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:26 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Well, like I said for a typical game as pilots it probably doesn't matter in the slightest, but background info like that is solid gold in the hands of a creative GM. The big flashy events are what people remember, but thoughtful detail is what makes immersion work.

Say for example the characters pilots wanted to throw a surprise party at Nerv HQ for one of the senior officer's birthday. Just immagine the hoop-jumping that could be involved in negotiating the bureaucratic nightmare that is Nerv for something this ordinary, and all the 'little people' that would be introduced along the way. Realizing the massive scope of how many people are depending on and supporting the pilots every day could be quite a powerful session, no?

On a related note, I skimmed through the system but my favorite part by far was the description of world conditions after 2I. Excellent work there, gents.

I'm glad people like how they turned out. If we didn't put a deadline on ourselves for release there was a good deal of other ideas kicking around that would've gotten the same treatment. As it is, at least one future release will be 75% fluff, so if you like how that works then you'll be in for a treat...eventually.

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:09 pm

Indeed a very nice sourcebook, of almost professional quality. I really like the effort you've put into the background of the world aswell... it's the little details like that that really shine through. It's all giddy and easy to get all squee over
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

EbilJebus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EbilJebus » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:58 pm

Now that 1d4chan is back up (for the time being, anyway), may I recommend a read-through of the NERV Boston campaign?

Spoiler Alert:
SPOILER: Show
Unlike the series, it has a GOOD END. Well, perhaps a bittersweet end, but not as bad as NGE.

Olympus Mons
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Olympus Mons » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:08 am

View Original PostEbilJebus wrote:Now that 1d4chan is back up (for the time being, anyway), may I recommend a read-through of the NERV Boston campaign?

Spoiler Alert:
SPOILER: Show
Unlike the series, it has a GOOD END. Well, perhaps a bittersweet end, but not as bad as NGE.

Did someone say logs?

We have logs. So many logs.

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:25 pm

can someone explain this game please?

Black Mesa Janitor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Black Mesa Janitor » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:12 pm

> can someone explain this game please?

I would love to!

Adeptus Evangelion is a pen and paper tabletop RPG for playing in the world of Evangelion.

While you can recreate the events of the series (though some parts require some rather heavy-handed GM shenanigans... Iruel was beaten by NPCs!) you are by no means required to.

Is there any aspect of Adeptus Evangelion in specific that you want me to go into, or are you unfamiliar with PnP TT RPGs in general? If so, I would gladly explain that in detail as well.
- Black Mesa Janitor, Project Director of Adeptus Evangelion

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:26 am

A few quick question, since I'm a BIG Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader fan. Also I planned on trying to run a trail campagin on here, so I have at least you to thank for clearing up what this is.

Oh and for making the game.

1.) Vehicle rules. I'm not talking about Eva piloting (that's done perfectly), but car controls, helicopter piloting, etc....will you be releasing an errta or update for when Into the Storm is released and incorporate how that might effect normal militarily vehicles battling with Evangelions and Angels? Because while it DEFINITELY isn't your fault...its kinda clunky for having my players toss around battleships that are actively trying to blow them the hell up.

2.) Do you guys know how awesome you are? Because this product you made is way too cool to waste on a loser fanbase like us. :thumbsup:

3.) Are you planning on adding an rules to help elaborate on the damage an Evangelion vs Angel battle might do in the player's base of operations? Because that would be one of the few sources of angst I'd see being easily transferable to a tabletop game. Nice job blowing up all your friends and family kids!
I won.

Black Mesa Janitor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Black Mesa Janitor » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:13 pm

1) We are actually making it a point to not use material from outside the core DH book, to minimize the required purchases to use AdEva. That said, if you can tell us more precisely what you want changed in the vehicle section, maybe we can come up with something.

2) Thank You.

3) There were some variable effects of Collateral damage that we had come up with before, but they didn't sit right with a lot of people. We will instead be including a collateral effects chart in Rewrite of Evangelion (an AdEva supplement chock full of variant optional rules) for this purpose.
- Black Mesa Janitor, Project Director of Adeptus Evangelion

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Um yea please explain the who concept of pen 'n paper RPGs as we;; as AdEva.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:21 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game_%28pen_and_paper%29

Return to “Fan Works”