Is it really Yui's soul inside Unit 01?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Hiromakuta
Adam

Is it really Yui's soul inside Unit 01?

•      
  •      

Postby Hiromakuta » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:29 am

I've chatted with a friend of mine while ago, and he said that there isn´t no evidence that Yui's soul is inside Unit 01, and he makes a good point. Sure one might say that Yui was "absorbed" by that Unit, but how is it possible to know that Shinji piloted the same Unit that swallowed her mother?
What?

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:49 am

Your friend is an idiot.
Shinji sees his mother in Unit-01 in #16, Gendo directly addresses Unit-01 as "Yui" in #24', and Shinji addresses Unit-01 as "mother" in #25. Also, has he seen EoE? That anyone can watch that movie without figuring out that Yui is in Unit-01 and floats off into deep space at the end defies belief.

sir_evangelist
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sir_evangelist » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:58 am

And don´t forget the "accident" of yui when she entered eva´s core, she was unificated inside eva01. Also, as Shin-seiki said, there a lot of moments where Shinji can hear his mother in eva. And in #20 we can clearly see that the soul in eva01 is yui´s one

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:06 am

This is pretty much one of the central points in the show. It's fairly hard to miss, although I did know someone who hadn't quite copped it the first time through. I even met someone who had guessed this fact as early as episode #02!

Your friend is mistaken, or perhaps simply uncertain. Further viewings will make everything clear.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:08 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Your friend is an idiot.

I think that may be a bit harsh. He may be mistaken or confused, but not necessarily an idiot.

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:32 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:

I think that may be a bit harsh. He may be mistaken or confused, but not necessarily an idiot.
Okay, he either was really not paying attention, or he's one of those types that won't accept anything about NGE as 'fact' unless it's spelled out specifically. Since Anno chooses not to spoon-feed every little thing to the audience, that represents a pretty severe impediment to comprehension of the show.

Magami no D00M
Lilith

Re: Is it really Yui´s soul inside Unit 01?

•      
  •      

Postby Magami no D00M » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:49 pm

Hiromakuta wrote:I´ve chatted with a friend of mine while ago, and he said that there isn´t no evidence that Yui´s soul is inside Unit 01, and he makes a good point. Sure one might say that Yui was "absorbed" by that Unit, but how is it possible to know that Shinji piloted the same Unit that swallowed her mother?

Watch the series again. :shock: Eva one was being used during Yui's contact experiment. The manga makes a mistake by stating Eva-00.

Souls in Evas:
Eva-00-Rei 1(Rei's soul, being that of Lilith, can exist in more then one place at a time. Ynless it was somehow copied.)
Eva-01-Shinji's mother, Yui
Eva-02-Asuka's mother Kyouko
Eva-03-Touji's mother
Eva-04 (unknown)
MP Eva series 05-013-unknown people, controlled by Seele via the Kaworu dummy plug system.
Failsig:http://myanimelist.net/profile/Maga-me~Catalogue your hobby/obsession/drug.
DA Plug: http://magamish.deviantart.com/
*back from the dead to once again rekindle my Eva ineterst, since I recently purchased the domestic Rebuild 1.0 dvd* >>;

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:01 pm

or he's one of those types that won't accept anything about NGE as 'fact' unless it's spelled out specifically

But this was spelled out specifically, it was just spelled out using really big and complicated words, but it was spelled out.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:11 pm

Defectron wrote:
or he's one of those types that won't accept anything about NGE as 'fact' unless it's spelled out specifically

But this was spelled out specifically, it was just spelled out using really big and complicated words, but it was spelled out.

I think it was spelled out rather bluntly. Several times.

That, and when Shinji hears Asuka getting all excited about her mother watching over her, Shinji looks up at unit-01 and says, "Mother?"

O; OMGBIGSURPRISE.

dr4g0nslr
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby dr4g0nslr » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:40 pm

Shinji sees his mother in Unit-01 in #16, Gendo directly addresses Unit-01 as "Yui" in #24', and Shinji addresses Unit-01 as "mother" in #25. Also, has he seen EoE? That anyone can watch that movie without figuring out that Yui is in Unit-01 and floats off into deep space at the end defies belief.

Please, no need for insults. :(

Even if a person is wrong, we need to treat them with an ounce of respect or this would be an empty forum.
I hate rude people.

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:03 pm

dr4g0nslr wrote:Please, no need for insults. :(

Even if a person is wrong, we need to treat them with an ounce of respect or this would be an empty forum.
I suppose I would try to be more polite to an actual member of this forum, as opposed to some anonymous third party; it's not like I was insulting this 'friend' person to his face. And come on, we're talking about a person who actually said there was "no evidence" (??!!!) that Yui's soul was in Unit-01...

dr4g0nslr
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby dr4g0nslr » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:20 pm

Yes it is silly to think Yui is not the sole of Eva unit one, but still as a matter of principle, it is not right to insult some one in that way.

Please remember that part of building a good forum that will grow is to not act as if we are still in training pants. :roll:
I hate rude people.

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:55 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote: I even met someone who had guessed this fact as early as episode #02!

HOW? That just boggles the mind. Do we even know by episode 2 that Shinji's mother is "dead"?
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:37 pm

dr4g0nslr wrote:

Please, no need for insults. :(

There comes a point where someone, by expressing an ill-informed opinion, deserves all they get. I have heard some stupid things, in my time, but this...
Natsukashii, ne?

dr4g0nslr
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby dr4g0nslr » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:59 pm

Would you then sir not take the time to correct a lost man on the street saying he going a place he faces away from?

That is very rude like every one here it seems!

You kindly mention to the man his distination is the othe way! Not call him a bloody fool!

Arseholes all around it seems !
I hate rude people.

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:01 pm

dr4g0nslr wrote:Would you then sir not take the time to correct a lost man on the street saying he going a place he faces away from?

That is very rude like every one here it seems!

You kindly mention to the man his distination is the othe way! Not call him a bloody fool!

Arseholes all around it seems !

Then leave, and stop spamming the forums.

:o

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:41 pm

Space Penis wrote:
ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote: I even met someone who had guessed this fact as early as episode #02!

HOW? That just boggles the mind. Do we even know by episode 2 that Shinji's mother is "dead"?

I seem to recall Reichu posting that someone she once showed it to figured it out in ep. 1 (right after Shinji is saved from the falling bank of floodlights). "So, is his mom in there?"
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

K2Grey
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby K2Grey » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:47 am

Yeah, the comment is on Eva Commentary page and refers to when Eva-01 blocks the falling debris by putting her hand over Shinji. Reichu's friend determined Eva-01's maternal nature right there, while another friend failed to figure this out even after finishing NGE.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:01 am

Well I'm not sure when I figured it out that it was Shinjis mother, it was sometime during the latter half of the series
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Titus » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:52 am

I read somewhere that yui is in unit 1, so i figured if its the souls? of the mothers of the children, then Asuka's mom was in unit 2. TS opened that door for me...
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”