EoE Third Time/Return/Retribution translation question

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
JC Denton
Embryo

EoE Third Time/Return/Retribution translation question

•      
  •      

Postby JC Denton » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:39 pm

quick question about 26'

my fansub (I guess) says:

SEELE: "By using the incomplete soul of Evangelion Unit 01's pilot we'll complement the sould of humanity."

Kiel: "It's the third time of the return."

so does he really say THIRD time? like it's the third return to nothingness? (similar thing happens in matrix reloaded)

I mean this script here for example http://www.evangelion-armageddon.com/Scripts/EOE2.html says something completely different... and this is very crucial information
no sig

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:45 pm

It's the Third Impact.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

JC Denton
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JC Denton » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:48 am

of course it is but that doesn't answer my question
no sig

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:39 pm

View Original PostJC Denton wrote:of course it is but that doesn't answer my question

What is your question then? If techincally he said "third" or what that meant? Cause, you replied on your own concerning the first one and the second one was confirmed in the second reply.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

JC Denton
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JC Denton » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:14 pm

I try to find out what Kiel actually said there since translation variants differ completely

if it's "the third time of the return" - first and second impact didn't complement the sould of humanity, so what "third return"?
no sig

Dark doom
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dark doom » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:24 pm

The third return of Adam to the world in General.
Adam's third return shall smite the world as thou and thee now it dear Keel. :geezer:
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

And then we come to the merchandising... facepalm- Mr. Tines

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:39 pm

View Original PostJC Denton wrote:I try to find out what Kiel actually said there since translation variants differ completely

if it's "the third time of the return" - first and second impact didn't complement the sould of humanity, so what "third return"?

It's called a metaphor.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

JC Denton
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JC Denton » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:37 pm

View Original PostDark doom wrote:The third return of Adam to the world in General.

what does that even mean?!

why can't I get a straighforward answer to a simple question on this board?!
no sig

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:41 pm

It's literally what it sounds like. Each Impact involves Adam, basically, showing up and causing a shitstorm on planet Earth.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:44 pm

Answer to the original question: the script is probably incorrect, and it should simply read something like "The moment of Third Impact has come".

@Aura: Nope. First Impact was LILITH showing up and causing a shitstorm.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:30 pm

I'm aware, but they arrived at generally the same show and characters in-universe have difficult time telling them apart.

JC Denton
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JC Denton » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:34 am

View Original PostLegendary wrote:Answer to the original question: the script is probably incorrect, and it should simply read something like "The moment of Third Impact has come".

@Aura: Nope. First Impact was LILITH showing up and causing a shitstorm.

now that's a straightforward answer

thanks
no sig

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:38 am

Reiterating some points but whatever, clarification's needed (Where's Reichu and the original Japanese script when I need it!):

Legendary wrote:The script is probably incorrect, and it should simply read something like "The moment of Third Impact has come".

No. The A2000A Renewal translations are excellent, nothing for Death and EoE at least, is incorrect. Besides, the original Japanese says nothing about an "Impact", just "time" and "returning".

What Kiel's saying according to the A2000A translation is "It's the third time of the return". Basically a fancy alternate way of saying Third Impact, since souls were reduced to LCL in the dead sea during Second Impact. It's a metaphor.

BochanBird's take of the following:

[url]http://www.evaotaku.com/html/sincerely.html[/url] wrote:SCENE: SEELE monoliths

All (chanting):
Evangelion Unit 01's pilot...
Complement humankind with your imperfect ego.

Keel:
The moment of the Third Retribution has come.

(Eva series form into pattern)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Dark doom
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dark doom » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:36 am

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:It's literally what it sounds like. Each Impact involves Adam, basically, showing up and causing a shitstorm on planet Earth.

Thank god!
Someone actualy agree's with me for once!
What Kiel's saying according to the A2000A translation is "It's the third time of the return". Basically a fancy alternate way of saying Third Impact, since souls were reduced to LCL in the dead sea during Second Impact. It's a metaphor.

But for it to be the 'third return' as to what you say, wouldnt 1I have had to turn soul's into LCL aswell?
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

And then we come to the merchandising... facepalm- Mr. Tines

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:42 pm

Perhaps some Angels were all laid and ready to go and then they got shoved back into Adam when Lilith crash-landed?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:45 pm

The Third Return/Retribution being "at hand" doesn't mean anybody's going to revert to LCL right away, it just means Third Impact is in the process of starting.

Besides, we never see the Eva themselves turning into LCL (my guess is they're made of Particle-Wave-Matter like the Angels, but all the technical gobbledygook when it comes to Eva just isn't my forte) and Eva-01 may be Lilith's surrogate but she was probably still developed from Adam like the rest of the Eva.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”