Animated Disney Films [General Discussion]

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:56 am

View Original PostWonderBug wrote:Hint: don't read it as a romance.

yeah, i hear you. i definitely didn't watch any of the adaptations (i haven't read the play) for the romance. thing is, i don't like tragedies either. :tongue: R+J is a tough one, because i don't see it as romance to begin with, but there is insta-love (or lust, as it may) and sheer stupidity of it and its consequences just puts me off.

re: topic-- i'm now wondering what everybody's opinion of the sequels is? if you've watched any of them, of course. i hear the aladdin sequels were good, and i liked TLK2 and the toy stories, but everything apart from those should be burned, IMO. starting with pocahontas 2.
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:42 pm

View Original Postcarla wrote:re: topic-- i'm now wondering what everybody's opinion of the sequels is? if you've watched any of them, of course. i hear the aladdin sequels were good, and i liked TLK2 and the toy stories, but everything apart from those should be burned, IMO. starting with pocahontas 2.

Most of the DTV Disney sequels are NEVER as good as the original films (in animation, acting, story). Some are just plain stupid and really insulting the original. Thankfully, some are at least watchable (the Aladdin sequels, TLK 1 and 1/2). Though, as a kid, I wouldn't care how bad or good these sequels are; nowadays, :asuka_miffed: yep: I do regret my childhood!

Word of wise, ladies and gentlemen: make watching Disney DTV sequels as an option; ALWAYS watch the classics.

WonderBug
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WonderBug » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:19 pm

I have to be honest, I've barely seen any of them. Again, Rescuers Down Under was a very fun sequel, and was better than its predecessor. I kiiiinda maybe sort of like the Lion King sequels. In a I-will-never-tell-anybody-I've-seen-them-and-if-they're-on-tv-and-no-one-else-is-in-the-house-I'll-probably-watch-them sort of way.

I really like Nostalgia Chick's review on the BatB Enchanted Christmas movie, if that counts.

The Little Mermaid's sequel was horrible-er than the first, but I wasn't exactly shocked.

Aaaand I haven't seen any other sequels.

Oh, and I remember another Disney movie I liked: A Goofy Movie. yeeeeah. I won't defend it, but I like it!

yeah, i hear you. i definitely didn't watch any of the adaptations (i haven't read the play) for the romance. thing is, i don't like tragedies either. R+J is a tough one, because i don't see it as romance to begin with, but there is insta-love (or lust, as it may) and sheer stupidity of it and its consequences just puts me off.

Haha, you should read Pyramus and Thisbe then. 100% more lions, much shorter, and the ending takes the whole "this is thy sheath" bow-chika-wow-wow metaphor to a whole 'nother level.

Or you could just read/watch Cymbeline, which is basically a combo of Shakespeare's better loved works and is weird and hilarious.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:23 pm

View Original PostWonderBug wrote:Oh, and I remember another Disney movie I liked: A Goofy Movie. yeeeeah. I won't defend it, but I like it!

I used to watch that all the time as a kid after getting it on VHS. Man, good times <3

I'm sorta fond of the Lion King sequel, despite it's suckery [I was young I suppose that's why.] Apart from that, I actually can't recall seeing any sequels :c I loved the spin-off Timone and Pumba show though and got those on VHS from the Disney Store where I live :3

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:12 am

I loved "A Goofy Movie" when I was younger.
I should see it again sometime.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

WonderBug
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WonderBug » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:26 pm

It is deliciously 90's.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:52 pm

Does anyone remember Quack Pack and The Shnookums and Meat Funny Cartoon Show? Those were good.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:31 pm

^ i LOVED quack pack! :thumbsup:

i have no idea what that other show is, though.
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:58 pm

View Original PostAllemann wrote:Does anyone remember Quack Pack and The Shnookums and Meat Funny Cartoon Show? Those were good.

Never saw any of them. Saw the others, though (Duck Tales, Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers, Talespin, etc).

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:39 am

DuckTales, woo-woo!

I was more partial to Chip 'n Dale and Talespin though
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Madonna » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:04 pm

Can I bump this?

Big fan of Disney animated films, even more so than the Pixar films.

I really love Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid (mainly for nostalgia), The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Alice in Wonderland, Nightmare Before Christmas - and more!.

Maleficent is my favorite Disney character.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:13 pm

View Original PostMadonna wrote:Can I bump this?

Big fan of Disney animated films, even more so than the Pixar films.

I really love Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid (mainly for nostalgia), The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Alice in Wonderland, Nightmare Before Christmas - and more!.

Maleficent is my favorite Disney character.

The Nightmare Before Christmas is my favorite Disney movie by far. I can still remember the day when I begged my parents to buy it on VHS! :lol:
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

swansea
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby swansea » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:12 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:The Nightmare Before Christmas is my favorite Disney movie by far. I can still remember the day when I begged my parents to buy it on VHS! :lol:

Back in the days when the name Jack Skellington evoked the image of a semi-frightening, dapper-as-hell claymated skeleton sing-voiced by Danny Elfman, rather than Hot Topic's newest fashion line. /sojaded

Yeah my favorite animated Disney piece is probably Mickey & The Beanstalk, of which I have an ooolllld VHS that may have been ripped straight from television by my parents for me (of this I'm not sure). I'm not even a big Disney fan but the whole thing is a nostalgia trip for me, and there's some pretty fine animation going on around the part where the beanstalk tears up through Mickey et al's humble abode, plus some great musical accompaniment. That and the film [s]is[/s] was actually effectively frightening for a predictably zany adaption of a familiar folk story: from Donald to the Giant to even Mickey at some points, all of the characters seemed slightly(?) unhinged and somehow removed from their usual dispositions, which makes the whole thing kind of unsettling on some level, I guess.
"and yonder, wild and blue
the wild blue yonder looms..."

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:46 pm

^That's actually part of a film called Fun and Fancy Free; 40s pop culture icon Edgar Bergen was the actual narrator for it, along with his puppet characters Charlie McCarthy and Mortimer Snerd.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:22 pm

In recent weeks, I saw Beauty and the Beast for the very first time. I would have to say that of all the Disney heroines, Belle is the most beautiful one in my eyes. She doesn't need to wear revealing clothing to be beautiful like Ariel and Jasmine. Gaston is a disgusting pig and his interactions with Lefou make for nice comic relief. I'll certainly never forget the Gaston song and the trio of blondes practically throwing themselves at his feet. As for the romance, taking the road of getting used to each other's negatives and discovering the positives in the process makes for a pleasant switch from the one sided crushes like Ariel had somewhat.

swansea
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby swansea » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:59 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:^That's actually part of a film called Fun and Fancy Free; 40s pop culture icon Edgar Bergen was the actual narrator for it, along with his puppet characters Charlie McCarthy and Mortimer Snerd.

Actually, that's not the case. While "Mickey and the Beanstalk" is one segment within that compilation, the version I have is a stand-alone narrated by Ludwig Von Drake and Herman the Beetle, and consequently the scenes with Willie at the end are slightly altered from the original, which I believe has the Giant stomping through Hollywood (a cousin of mine has Fun and Fancy Free on VHS, so I've seen both versions). It's a minor discrepancy, though. :P

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:As for the romance, taking the road of getting used to each other's negatives and discovering the positives in the process makes for a pleasant switch from the one sided crushes like Ariel had somewhat.

That's...an interesting perspective. :lol: I like Beauty and the Beast for the ingenious animation and Paige O'Hara's infallible voiceofthegods, but I'm not sure I would model my next dinner date on the notion that if I threaten to starve my guest should they refuse to eat on my schedule that will invariably make them fall in love with me.
"and yonder, wild and blue
the wild blue yonder looms..."

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:51 pm

View Original Postswansea wrote:Actually, that's not the case. While "Mickey and the Beanstalk" is one segment within that compilation, the version I have is a stand-alone narrated by Ludwig Von Drake and Herman the Beetle, and consequently the scenes with Willie at the end are slightly altered from the original, which I believe has the Giant stomping through Hollywood (a cousin of mine has Fun and Fancy Free on VHS, so I've seen both versions). It's a minor discrepancy, though. :P

Aah, my bad, I thought you never saw the original. In which case, yeah, that definitely exists...I think that version originally existed as a episode for a Disney anthology special in the 60s, and then later appeared on VHS with redubbed vocals for Ludwig. Or not, I can't remember...all I know is that the VHS took the Von Drake material from a special.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:31 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:The Nightmare Before Christmas is my favorite Disney movie by far. I can still remember the day when I begged my parents to buy it on VHS! :lol:

I haven't seen this movie in years, but I do remember enough about it that I wouldn't so much classify it as a Disney movie than as a Tim Burton film. Sure it was released by them, but it's not a "Disney"-esque type of film the way that The Lion King, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Snow White, etc. are.

My favorite Disney film will always be the original Fantasia. So far ahead of it's time, such great animation, and wonderful orchestral arrangements of some of my favorite classical music pieces. And each segment feels markedly different than the last, so watching never becomes a chore. It's always changing and evolving.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:06 am

I think it's worth mentioning that The Walt Disney Company didn't release The Nightmare Before Christmas under the main Disney label; it came out under the Touchstone Pictures label, which also released films like Lincoln and Enemy of the State.

So Disney didn't consider The Nightmare Before Christmas a typical animated Disney picture at the very least.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:55 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:So Disney didn't consider The Nightmare Before Christmas a typical animated Disney picture at the very least.

Well, it was Disney enough to be included in Kingdom Hearts... but then again, so was Pirates of the Caribbean....
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Return to “Film and Video”