Animated Disney Films [General Discussion]

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:32 pm

View Original PostHeromaster111 wrote:Are we really to the point that it has to be explained why Ghibli is important to the anime industry and it's fans?....this is a sad day for the fandom

On an Eva board no less :lol:

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:34 pm

Well you guys just wasted a whole page. I hope you're proud of yourselves. We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:39 pm

On topic... anyone have a favourite Disney song? Am I the only one who owned Disney CDs and sang along? ;_;

Also, I heard gossip that when "Beauty and the Beast" got nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars, people got so freaked out that they had to create a special category just for animation.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:43 pm

I never owned any Disney CDs but I totally loved Elton John's Can you feel the love tonight for Lion King, Tina Turner's He lives in you for Lion King 2 [Even though it was like a crappy Romeo & Juliet with lions] and pretty much every song in Hercules and Aladdin. Beauty and the Beast is amazing too. Hell, Disney music FTW!

Also, I would love for Disney to do something like this with their princesses. This image is SO popular and the artist herself works at Disneyland, I'm sure the bigwigs at Disney have seen it [Little weird tidbit: Any official Disney princess art you see, notice how not a single princess is ever looking at another princess. I wonder why?]

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:46 pm

I liked when Disney took chances ala the 30's-40's.

Back when a young Tezuka was taking cues from Walt Disney and the Fliesher Bros. to help shape the mold of this thing call 'anime.'

Hell, even a young Anno was probably watching Disney stuff.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:14 pm

From the films made before I was born, I've always liked Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, One Hundred and One Dalmations, The Jungle Book, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (I don't think anyone has mentioned the bear and his pals yet? Why!), and (I Suppose) The Little Mermaid.
Of the newer movies I've been a fan of Aladdin, The Lion King, Mulan, The Emperor's New Groove (though I prefer the series), Treasure Planet and Brother Bear.

Interesting Fact: in the Rei Ayanami Raising Project, Shinji's class performs a version of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Depending on Rei's social level she is cast either as a tree (social skill less than 200), the Queen/Witch (social skill is over 200, affection for player is high) or Snow White (social skill is over 200, affection for player is low). Meanwhile, Shinji is cast as the Prince, Asuka gets whatever role Rei doesn't get, and Toji and Kensuke I think play two of the Dwarfs. A clever tribute!

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:02 pm

Ye Olde Jungle Book and Robin Hood for me. The Lion King wasn't bad, but Atlantis was nuttery and Brother Bear was dumb.

And the Ayanami raising project... :hahaha:
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:56 am

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:A young Anno hated watching Disney stuff.

Fixed.

The "I don't like Disney" quote from that Anno interview a few years back just came to mind.
Silly me.

He did say he liked Tex Avery and Tom and Jerry though.
(Tex Avery's my all time favorite American animator. He outshines Disney any day of the week. T&J kick major ass as well.)

Your all right Anno. Your all right.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:52 am

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:On topic... anyone have a favourite Disney song?

I loved Aladdin's soundtrack but my favorite song from that movie would have to be "Friend Like Me". Robin Williams p
Was a perfect match for Genie. I also favored was "There's A Party Here In Agrabah" from the third Aladdin movie.

Another favorite would have to be "Zero to Hero" from Hercules. I'm sure there are others I am forgetting...
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:25 am

View Original PostHalicat wrote:Spirited Away, Grave of the fireflies, Princess Mononoke, Whisper of the heart, Howl's moving Castle

Ghibli is THE reason I got into anime. I watched ZERO anime when I was younger. No Pokemon or DBZ. The first anime movie I saw was Totoro and it made me feel feelings for the first time. When Spirited Away came out I was. Howl's Moving Castle sealed the deal. Basically the next step was Eva.

Just sayin'. To me at least Ghibli is god-tier.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:05 pm

i think i've seen most of the classic disney animated movies that were released in theaters. well, except the one with the cows (cows, really?). and lilo & stitch (aliens, really?). and the emperor's new groove (llamas, really?). and the princess & the frog because it's very recent and apparently all of my usual movie partners think they're too old to watch those movies in theatres anymore, so i have nobody to accompany me and i'll have to rent them. :dejected: i haven't seen a few of the most recent pixar movies... mainly because i didn't find their premises interesting to begin with (monsters, inc., cars, ratatouille, up...).

in general, though, i love disney. i'm a big fan of most of their animated movies and i could never outgrow them, i don't think. can't say the same for the sequels, especially if they were direct-to-DVD (or VHS), but there are a few of them i've watched and liked.

my favorites are:

_the lion king: pretty much my favorite movie ever, period. kimba ripoff aside, i think this one exemplifies everything an animated movie should be.

_hercules: this movie got so many things wrong that for all intents and purposes i should hate it (greek myth enthusiast here), but it's just freakin' hilarious. the characters are lovable and entertaining. and i could never get enough of ricky martin doing hercules' voice in spanish-- hammiest thing ever. :chuckles:

_finding nemo: this movie is just adorable. the characters are very well-defined, the plot itself is guaranteed to tug at the audience's heartstrings, and it's just a fun ride overall. also, ellen degeneres as dory = genius! :nod:

my favorite disney princess was always cinderella, although obviously "princess" is a very random title when it comes to disney. i also really like lady and the tramp, the sword in the stone, robin hood, the rescuers (+ down under), the little mermaid, aladdin, mulan, toy story (& toy story 2). i grew up in the 90's, and quite frankly i think that was the golden age for disney animation.

fun fact: i must be the only girl on earth that didn't like beauty & the beast. i was never a fan of winnie the pooh. i also didn't really care for the hunchback or pocahontas (and then the sequel sent it straight to "wtf" territory).

also: o-san, you are (not) alone! i, too, adore disney music. my ipod must be halfway filled with cover upon cover of disney songs (some of those disneymania covers are actually pretty decent, at least the early ones). i could never decide on a single favorite, but i have a bunch that i really, really love:

_"you'll be in my heart" from tarzan.
_"colors of the wind" from pocahontas.
_"kiss the girl" and "part of your world" from the little mermaid.
_every single song from the lion king. no, seriously.
_"reflection" from mulan. oh, and that song where they're training, i can never remember the name...
_"welcome" and "look through my eyes" from brother bear.
_"a whole new world" from aladdin.
_"anytime you need a friend" from... i think that was the cow movie?
_"hawaiian roller coaster ride" from lilo & stitch.
_"i won't say (i'm in love)" and "go the distance" from hercules.
_"little wonders" from meet the robinsons.

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:He did say he liked Tex Avery and Tom and Jerry though.

that explains so much. :chuckles:
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:51 pm

I liked the films from when Walt himself was still alive and some of there late 80's - early 90's stuff.
I'd say there best work is a tie between Pinocchio, Fantasia and Bambi.

I also love all of Pixar's stuff, with Toy Story being one of my favorite movies in general.

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:18 pm

View Original Postcarla wrote:fun fact: i must be the only girl on earth that didn't like beauty & the beast.

That's like their best movie awww.
Currently Playing-Battlefield:Bad Company 2 and SF4

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:22 pm

^ well, something about it just never sat well with me. :shrug: honestly, i think i was just getting mary-sue-ish vibes from belle before i even knew what a mary sue was. she somehow came off with a very "classic disney princess" feel to her, while in-between other movies that had more 3-dimensional female leads. of course, i wasn't thinking about this back when i was 6 and the movie had just premiered, but i felt something was off.

or probably the fact that none of the songs in that movie really hit me (even pocahontas was this close to redeeming itself just because it had damn good music).
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

WonderBug
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WonderBug » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:08 pm

View Original Postcarla wrote:^ well, something about it just never sat well with me. :shrug: honestly, i think i was just getting mary-sue-ish vibes from belle before i even knew what a mary sue was. she somehow came off with a very "classic disney princess" feel to her, while in-between other movies that had more 3-dimensional female leads. of course, i wasn't thinking about this back when i was 6 and the movie had just premiered, but i felt something was off.

or probably the fact that none of the songs in that movie really hit me (even pocahontas was this close to redeeming itself just because it had damn good music).

DUDE, HIGH-FIVE. I liked the movie well enough when I was a kid, but I really don't care for it at all anymore. Did you also find it eerie how often Belle smiles with her teeth in that movie? It keeps bringing to mind the defensive gesture of baring one's teeth that you see with chimpanzees. Also, the two big broken Aesops ruin the rest of the movie for me.

The Little Mermaid
bothers me even more. It reminds me of people who read Romeo and Juliet for the romance. Ha!

Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame are also pretty terrible. They're also very, very pink and purple. I have no idea what happened to the color palette in those films but yeesh. Hunchback gets a little credit, because it has one of Disney's best villain songs.

Generally, I like Disney movies. As I get older, I tend to notice more and more problems within, but I can usually still enjoy the film as a whole.

Hands down, my favorite movie is Aladdin. Racial/gender issues aside, It's beautiful, hilarious, the music's fantastic, and I basically just love it all. I never had many videos as a kid, but I totally had this one on a bootlegged VHS tape.

Other good Disney films:

Hercules: Horribly inaccurate, but extremely fun. Loved the music and the movie's use of the Muses. Also, Meg was a very charming female protagonist; a lot more adult than a typical Disney girl.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (yes, I'm counting this): Weirdly accurate and far better than that bucket of horse poo Tim Burton released recently. Bing Crosby was perfect as the narrator; great music.

The Rescuers Down Under: For better or for worse this movie, along with The Simpsons, colored my childhood perception of Australia. The scenes with the eagle were epic. I was disappointed when I finally saw the original Rescuers. Extremely rare case of Disney sequel being better than the original.

101 Dalmatians: I feel like this one is unfairly glossed over in discussions over Disney films. It has one of the most stylish opening credit sequences. There a lot of little things that make this film so charming; the tv spots and the Twilight Bark come to mind.

There are plenty of other films I like and dislike, but these are the only ones I feel like mentioning.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:47 pm

Anyone else other then me enjoy Dinosaur? I thought that was a good movie even though I have not seen the movie like in over 10 years.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:45 pm

@wonderbug-- HIGH FIVE! :toothy: i can't really remember if i noticed the teeth, last time i watched it was a loooong time ago. i didn't mind the broken aesops that much (they were in the original and, well, it's disney), but it really bugged me that belle was portrayed as a forward-thinking woman, yet she was so... bland.

btw, i did feel like the romance in the little mermaid was a lot of insta-love (i so hear you about romeo & juliet. ugh, i hate romeo & juliet). but i liked ariel way better, i felt she was a more entertaining/better-rounded character and in the end i liked the movie overall.

@guyver spawn-- i liked dinosaur well enough. i only saw it the once, though.

WonderBug
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WonderBug » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:03 pm

View Original Postcarla wrote:btw, i did feel like the romance in the little mermaid was a lot of insta-love (i so hear you about romeo & juliet. ugh, i hate romeo & juliet).

If you hate RandJ for that reason, you really should give it another shot. Hint: don't read it as a romance.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:41 am

Asuka gets to play one of the 3 options in her raising project game too. :grin:

Anyway, I like Aladdin (and its 2 sequels plus the series) as my favorite. Next favorites in no order would be Phocahantes (spelling, sorry), The Lion King, Empreror's New Groove, and The Princess and The Frog.

It's been far too long since I watched Disney (except for Princess and the Frog), traditionally animated or otherwise.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:08 pm

For me, Disney's my life. I always grew up with the classics and still watch them today. My all-time favorite would be "The Lion King." If anyone hasn't seen this: WATCH IT NOW! (I'm dead serious about this, ladies and gentlemen) "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" wasn't bad at least.

Return to “Film and Video”