Shinji 2.0 an improvement?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Hiten777
Adam

Postby Hiten777 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:27 pm

ultrassjstuart I praise you for your words of wisdom. If I could add more to your comment I would, but the way you said is summed up everything I've been thinking about since the movie. I can see a theoristic brother.

ultrassjstuart
Embryo

Postby ultrassjstuart » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:36 pm

Although if there's commentary on the Dub DVD there should be some hilarious words from Spike Spencer when that final scene rolls around.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:52 pm

People keep saying things like this: "[Shinji's] comments about not caring if the world is destroyed"

Can we please put this to rest already? Sauce, explanation, and justification of this conclusion please from anyone who insists on perpetuating it.

ultrassjstuart
Embryo

Postby ultrassjstuart » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:58 pm

It's okay Seele00 it's pretty much wrapped up now

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby JoeD80 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:04 pm

View Original PostSeele 00 Text Only wrote:Sauce, explanation, and justification of this conclusion please from anyone who insists on perpetuating it.

I haven't listened closely enough to the Japanese version yet (I just got the Blu-Ray yesterday), but the translation on the wiki says:

"Shinji: I don't care what happens to me. I don't care what happens to the world."

Shinji_Fan
Embryo

Postby Shinji_Fan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:49 pm

I feel that I should write something about this. I've always thought that Shinji, while flawed and made some bad mistakes was always a heroic character. He grew, fought, and preformed many actions to save the human race. And I feel I need to post something about it and I will take some time and consider the best way to post that latter.

however one thing springs to mind about this I think needs to be said, that while I do believe Shinji had no idea that his actions would result in third impact he has been in this situation before. When he did killed his friend to save the world. And yet that verison of Shinji is the one that was called a "bitch" and seen as a nasty character. Despite the fact that he did what is considered now the right choice, he barely got any consideration for it at all.

So the question becomes what type of test do you take when you can give one answer or the other and still be wrong? The answer my friends is simple, a fixed test. One that no matter what you do you can't possibly win.
"What's up Doc?"

ultrassjstuart
Embryo

Postby ultrassjstuart » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:01 pm

So, what? It seems the bottom line is new Shinji is still a flawed person but lsn't a dumping ground for freudian psychosis metaphors any more (which is ALL he was in NGE), if anything new Shinj is just pain and simply... Human, unlike old Shinji who was just a metaphor for human and all humanity's flaws all rolled up into one 14 year old sack of crazy with absolutely zero growth potential.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:50 pm

EDIT: this post merged to here after this post of SSD's in the "Since you guys hate Rebuild so much" thread.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Not exactly the noblest of intentions or reasons, similar to how Shinji was acting at 2.0's finale.

This again... why is it people insist on seeing "I don't care about the world" in this light? Is there that much appeal in pursuing a parallel with EoE? I asked in the translation thread if there was a way to have a further dissection of this line, in hopes of further addressing the issue once and for all, with unfortunately no response. This is continues to seem to be the accepted interpretation around here, and I don't see the justification.

Aside from that interpretation of that line, Shinji's intentions and reasons are incredibly noble.
Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:36 pm

It's mostly because he said that while almost destroying the world, and it sort of implied that he wouldn't of cared if he actually DID kill anyone, so long as he and Rei were safe. Especially since this is completely believable and in-line with Shinji's character.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:45 pm

Hopefully this won't turn into a tangent, but:

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:I asked in the translation thread if there was a way to have a further dissection of this line,

Done: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=364729#364729

AuraTwilight wrote:so long as he and Rei were safe.

I agree with your line of thinking too, the only thing I want to clarify is Shinji's lines seem to be taken one step further with "I don't care what happens to me", not just "I don't care what happens to the world". He pretty much seems to be saying and to at least get one person, Rei, to safety even if it's at the cost of his own life, not just everybody else.

But yeah, by the point in time Rei's actually saved, Shinji of course seems glad he's able to be with her.

Seele: It's not so much people WANT to find a parallel to EoE as much as 2.0 is (intentionally?) setting itself up that way.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:19 pm

I guess this is getting tangential, sorry if a few of these posts have to get split into the Shinji 2.0 an improvement? thread.

That fact that he is destroying the world cannot be used to judge him because he is not aware this is happening. He has no idea. The 'sort of' implication is nonexistent; it is founded on one interpretation of one line. It is most certainly not in-line with Rebuild!Shinji's character; I saw no such evidence of him hating anything other than his father and himself, saving for his attack on Nerv HQ. He finds the world cruel but seeks to protect himself from it, to escape it. Not to destroy it.

2.0 does set itself up to have some EoE parallels in the physical manner, showing a third impact begin and so much of the Geofront utterly destroyed. However, 2.0 does not set itself up to parallel EoE in its characterizations in anyway, not with a single character. Shinji's descent, his actions, and his way of responding to what occurs around him are all substantially different. There is no correlation in the regard some are alluding to concerning Shinji and a will to destroying the world or any person other than his father and himself.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:57 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:That fact that he is destroying the world cannot be used to judge him because he is not aware this is happening. He has no idea. The 'sort of' implication is nonexistent; it is founded on one interpretation of one line. It is most certainly not in-line with Rebuild!Shinji's character...

I think it's perfectly in line with his actions earlier in the film. He'd rather risk the victory of the Angel's than fight the posessed Eva Unit*. He'd rather initiate Third Impact than lose Rei. They go hand in hand... they're both noble gestures in an emotional way but are ultimately short sighted and selfish pragmatically.

* Interestingly, swapping Asuka for Toji here puts Shinji's and Asuka's (professed) world views head-to-head. At the aquarium, in response to Rei's refusal to eat meat, Asuka says something like, "Idiot! We have to kill/eat our enemies in order to survive!" I wonder if Asuka would have wiped out the Eva had she been in Shinji's shoes?

lars18th
Embryo

Postby lars18th » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:39 am

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:I guess this is getting tangential, sorry if a few of these posts have to get split into the Shinji 2.0 an improvement? thread.

That fact that he is destroying the world cannot be used to judge him because he is not aware this is happening. He has no idea. The 'sort of' implication is nonexistent; it is founded on one interpretation of one line. It is most certainly not in-line with Rebuild!Shinji's character; I saw no such evidence of him hating anything other than his father and himself, saving for his attack on Nerv HQ. He finds the world cruel but seeks to protect himself from it, to escape it. Not to destroy it.

2.0 does set itself up to have some EoE parallels in the physical manner, showing a third impact begin and so much of the Geofront utterly destroyed. However, 2.0 does not set itself up to parallel EoE in its characterizations in anyway, not with a single character. Shinji's descent, his actions, and his way of responding to what occurs around him are all substantially different. There is no correlation in the regard some are alluding to concerning Shinji and a will to destroying the world or any person other than his father and himself.

I agree absolutely.
The "cool" fan only likes the following parts of the following franchises:
Transformers: season 1
Star Wars: ep IV, V and VI
Start Trek: Original and Next Generation
Evangelion: TV series
If you like anything other than the listed elements for said franchises, get ready to burn in geek hell.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:35 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:I think it's perfectly in line with his actions earlier in the film. He'd rather risk the victory of the Angel's than fight the posessed Eva Unit.

Here there is an undeniable point, and it is consistent with the series. Same as quitting altogether and attacking Nerv HQ; all things that one can reasonably condemn him for in Rebuild as well as the original series.

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:He'd rather initiate Third Impact than lose Rei. They go hand in hand...

Here I must once again repeat that he had absolutely no idea that he was initiating Third Impact, nor did he know that he had any ability to do so in the first place.

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Nonoriri » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:21 am

If the world had ended we could very well still put the blame on him and his actions even if he was unaware of it.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Legendary » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:02 am

We could, but that seems unfair. It is one thing to blame a man who says, stupidly, "Fuck the world, I'm saving HER," and then destroys the world. It's quite another to blame a man who says, "I'm saving HER, even if I have to die to do it," and then destroys the world.

The Fourth Evangelion
Adam

Postby The Fourth Evangelion » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:02 am

Maybe, to turn things a bit around, Shinji saw that Rei got eaten by Zerrie. Feeling guilty because of Asuka and being a guy with a hugo ego, he decided to take action.

What he saw however, was someone who was in deeper trouble then he.
Maybe he felt that he was actually worthless but, he didn't want to have someone be in deeper trouble then he and thus he saved Rei. Because he's such an ego that he needs to be the most pitful guy in the world.

I think that would make Shinji 2.0 an improvement, because he did something an actual man could do. He did something rather human, while doing the craziest shit on the planet.
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=9237
Go here, and read the story in which UNIT-04 finally shines!

carla
Ireul
Ireul

Postby carla » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:36 am

i, too, agree that we can't say he's dooming the world on purpose, he didn't know it would actually happen. i think rebuild!Shinji is an improvement (surprise, surprise).

i think the "but he's still destroying the world!" argument first came up not as a criticism of rebuild!Shinji, but as a defense. there's a lot of "grrr they turned my EVA into a typical shonen grrrrrr why is Shinji being so GAR dammit" going around, and i think the idea that he's still (however inadvertently) causing third impact was first brought up as something that sets 2.0 apart from other, more upbeat shonen series.

also, while Shinji's reasons for destroying the world are definitely NOT the same as in EoE (it's completely different to say "i wish everybody was dead because i hate them all" than saying "i'll save this person no matter what happens to the world"), it could still be argued that there's a selfish component to each scenario. just different selfish. that, i think, was the part that was reminescent of EoE!Shinji, although the "parallel" isn't much of a parallel at all.
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

MicroBalrog
Embryo

Postby MicroBalrog » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:06 pm

View Original PostNonoriri wrote:There isn't anything mature about almost ending the world to save a friend.

On this argument, Gendo is an immature brat, as he wants to end the world to be with Yui...

Wait. You're onto something.
I'm Allanea on Nationstates.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:27 pm

i think the "but he's still destroying the world!" argument first came up not as a criticism of rebuild!Shinji, but as a defense. there's a lot of "grrr they turned my EVA into a typical shonen grrrrrr why is Shinji being so GAR dammit" going around, and i think the idea that he's still (however inadvertently) causing third impact was first brought up as something that sets 2.0 apart from other, more upbeat shonen series.

No it's not. The problem is that even if Shinji was aware of what he was doing, he wouldn't change his course of action. He even says as much. His awareness of what's going on is totally irrelevant.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”