Amanda Winn-Lee and Tiffany Grant interviews on 91.8 The Fan

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Amanda Winn-Lee and Tiffany Grant interviews on 91.8 The Fan

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 20, 2010 8:24 am

Amanda Winn-Lee was interviewed by some online radio show a couple days ago called 91.8 The Fan. A lot of the interview deals with Neon Genesis Evangelion's Rei Ayanami she voices in the English version and the two films she oversaw subbing. Surprisingly, she even admits to preferring the subs over dubs.

You can hear the interview here:
http://918thefan.com/2010/kanas-korner-interview-with-amanda-winn-lee/

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu May 20, 2010 10:20 am

Man. That was a weird blast from the past. She really dropped off the planet after the Eva movies.

I'm curious what forums she went on back in the day. Certainly not an Eva forums, I would remember something like that.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu May 20, 2010 10:57 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I'm curious what forums she went on back in the day. Certainly not an Eva forums, I would remember something like that.

She had an account on the madman eva forums back in 2001 or so, when Manga Entertainment was doing the dub for EoE.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Thu May 20, 2010 12:07 pm

She oversaw subbing? What does that mean? Is she a translator/editor/Eva connossieur?
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 20, 2010 12:09 pm

View Original PostAchtungAffen wrote:She oversaw subbing? What does that mean? Is she a translator/editor/Eva connossieur?

Well, she mentions in the interview that she wrote the English scripts for both the dub and sub of EoE. I forgot what all that entailed for her. I haven't watch the movie's commentary in a good long while.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu May 20, 2010 12:18 pm

I don't understand how she can reconcile her assertion that she tries to be as faithful as possible with how she alters sound effects. When you change something that doesn't need to be changed, you're not being as faithful as possible. I think the voice acting was better on average, but the addition of certain sound effects really soured me on the movie's dub.

Dr. Webster
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Webster » Thu May 20, 2010 8:12 pm

I'm not a fan of the sound effects she added either, but I'm even more put off by her ADR directing...I'll give her a pass on the two F-bombs in EoE, but the fact that a number of characters didn't even pronounce "Eva" correctly shows a critical lack of attention to detail. Hopefully whoever gets the rights to EoE gives it a fresh dub.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu May 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Sound effects suck.
Shinji and Misato's voices are better.
Other voices suck.
The added fucks were more Woolseyisms than errors. They were better.
Over all, however, I prefer subs for the movie.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu May 20, 2010 9:25 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Well, she mentions in the interview that she wrote the English scripts for both the dub and sub of EoE. I forgot what all that entailed for her. I haven't watch the movie's commentary in a good long while.

Basically what it means is that somebody else translated it, and gave her the best translation possible. (At least we hope.) Then, as the "script writer" she tried to streamline the translation to fit the mouth flaps of the characters, or into English phrases that work better but are less literal. That job doesn't take a lot of skill. And clearly when it came to directing the voice actors, she was out to lunch.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Amanda Winn-Lee & Tiffany Grant interviewed on 91.8 The

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri May 21, 2010 1:39 pm

That sounds about right.

I found another interview by the same folks, guesting Tiffany Grant.

http://918thefan.com/2010/kanas-korner-interview-with-tiffany-grant/

It's a bit more dated (last month) and not quite as Eva related (really?); she talks about cos-playing and glances upon meeting Matt Greenfield. The main things she hits are the voice jobs she's done. She also says that she's currently working with Funimation, and they seem to be getting Rebuild rights... (Although there's absolutely no news on Rebuild 2.22.)

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Fri May 21, 2010 5:34 pm

...and to think both would not be around anymore... boy, was I wrong. I wonder if Tiffany Grant would come back as Asuka in Evangelion 2.0...

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Fri May 21, 2010 6:40 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:...and to think both would not be around anymore... boy, was I wrong. I wonder if Tiffany Grant would come back as Asuka in Evangelion 2.0...

Wait, Asuka appeared in 2.0? I must have missed her somehow :-\

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

That was actually Asuka's non-evil twin, Akusa.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Fri May 21, 2010 7:59 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Wait, Asuka appeared in 2.0? I must have missed her somehow :-\

:rimshot:

Anyway, I'm betting Tiffany Grant will return for 2.0. Being the huge Asuka fangirl she is, I don't think she'd refuse to do it if Funimation asked her. And she's working for Funi now, anyway. Two and two equal four.

Very disappointing that there's still no news about 2.0 hitting North America. I live for the day.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Fri May 21, 2010 8:46 pm

I pretty much figure that Tiffany Grant as Asuka in 2.0 is inevitable
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Asuka is related to something that's NOT evil? Really?

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri May 21, 2010 9:04 pm

I would say that not seeing Tiffany Grant in 2.0 would be a pleasant surprise, but I don't really watch the English dubs anyway. So it really doesn't matter to me. But I did find it interesting to see what's going with the USA side of the anime industry.

I honesty thought everything Tiffany would say would be about Eva, since she swims up to her ears in Asuka figurines and such.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri May 21, 2010 11:41 pm

I still think Tiffany Grant is the worst element of the english dubs (instead of Asuka coming off as a full rounded character she comes off as nothing more than a bitch) but she has such a strong fanbase in the English anime circles that her getting the Asuka role is a given.

Only reason she wouldn't get it would be if Funimation wanted to stick it to Mrs. Greenfield.

Regardless I couldn't give two shits. The dubs are nothing more than a one off watch for me usually.

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Sat May 22, 2010 12:02 pm

I really can't see what the problem is. I liked Tiffany Grant's rendition of Asuka, and if she doesn't get the role, Funimation is going to have to pay dearly. Besides, I like dubs most of the time, but EVA is the one anime that I can watch in both subs and dubs.
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat May 22, 2010 2:49 pm

View Original PostShogo-Kun wrote:I really can't see what the problem is. I liked Tiffany Grant's rendition of Asuka, and if she doesn't get the role, Funimation is going to have to pay dearly.

I seriously doubt people will boycott a DVD release of 2.0 if it didn't have Tiffany Grant. Funimation will profit regardless.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Fallingtogrey
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Fallingtogrey » Mon May 24, 2010 2:21 pm

Nice find.
Last edited by Fallingtogrey on Thu May 30, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fear. It is something vital to us puny creatures. The instant Man stops fearing is the instant the species will reach a dead end, only to sink to pitiable lows, only to sit and wait apathetically for extinction!"

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:46 am

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:I pretty much figure that Tiffany Grant as Asuka in 2.0 is inevitable

That seems to be the case unfortunately. *sigh*
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”