American Godzilla 2.0

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:02 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:It actually looks like an animal. I like it.

Nah, no animal's built like that. No animal's built like any version of Godzilla, really, but that head size is all out of whack. But whatever, minor quibble. Movie looks great regardless.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:45 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I finally figured out what bugs me about the new design: guy's a fucking pinhead with thunder thighs. Sometimes I think I'm the only Godzilla geek in the world who preferred the '85 version over all others.

You are not, 85, 91, GMK and 89 are my favorite suits

SPOILER: Show

Image[/spoiler]

GMK

not exactly in that order
Last edited by movieartman on Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:07 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:You are not, 85, 91, GMK and 89 are my favorite suits

98 is my favorite suit.

*runs and hides*

In all seriousness, I really like the original 54 suit and the mid-70’s suits, towards the end of the Showa Series. I love Godzilla in pretty much all of the Heisei incarnations (except for the silly King Ghidorah film), but they have more to do with the production values than the suits themselves. (The lighting in pretty much all of Takao Okawara’€™s Godzilla movies is amazing. Godzilla fighting Rodan in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 is one of the best shot monster fights since Ishiro Honda directed The Terror of Mecahgodzilla.)
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:08 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I finally figured out what bugs me about the new design: guy's a fucking pinhead with thunder thighs. Sometimes I think I'm the only Godzilla geek in the world who preferred the '85 version over all others.

You're a rarity, alright. Some of the hardcore fans I know think the suit is okay but find the animatronic (called "Cybot Godzila") used for a close up shots fugly and inconsistent with the actual suit, don't ask why. Me, it's okay but I like the "cat" look we see in Biollante a lot better. You know, before Godzilla became even bigger fucker in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and so on.

The GMK Godzilla is one of my favorite designs too. I always despised the criticism leveled at this incarnation of Godzilla because of its gut and being "fat". Yeah, it's bothersome and noticeable alright but what the fuck does that make Heisei Godzilla in the 90s with those thunder thighs.

:rolleyes:
Last edited by Rei IV on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:21 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:98 is my favorite suit.

*runs and hides*

In all seriousness, I really like the original 54 suit and the mid-70’s suits, towards the end of the Showa Series. I love Godzilla in pretty much all of the Heisei incarnations (except for the silly King Ghidorah film), but they have more to do with the production values than the suits themselves. (The lighting in pretty much all of Takao Okawara’€™s Godzilla movies is amazing. Godzilla fighting Rodan in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 is one of the best shot monster fights since Ishiro Honda directed The Terror of Mecahgodzilla.)

Really I found the vs kit ghidorah suit to be the absolute most savage Godzilla out there Barring GMK (maybe) and he is also The most muscular and bulky (in the upper mass) Godzilla out there the remaining 90s Godzilla would tone down the upper mass and biggen his legs more and more each film which IMO was a mistake.

View Original PostRei IV wrote:You're a rarity, alright. Some of the hardcore fans I know think the suit is okay but find the animatronic (called "Cybot Godzila") used for a close up shots fugly and inconsistent with the actual suit, don't ask why. Me, it's okay but I like the "cat" look we see in Biollante a lot better. You know, before Godzilla became even bigger fucker in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and so on.

Oh no, when anyone likes the 85 suit it's the suit for sure and not the cybot.

That being said, the cybot does have 1 really strong thin going for it, the mouth, the fangs and Espescially the lips which Curl up when he roars ads a lot of realism to the cybots head, and for me when I was a kid was absolutely terrifying, now days the massive cartoony eyes on the cybot negate it too much.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:40 pm

'85 has a special place in my heart. I must have watched the VHS tape fifty times.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:52 pm

Oh we doin' the favourite designs/iterations thing again?

:tongue:

Disappointed no other MosuGoji (1964) love. Hands down best Showa suit IMO, bar none including the original. The imagery of him rising out of the sand wastes is so iconic, gives me chills everytime:

The menacing brow and evil shrouded eyes just work wonders too.

Other than that, my favourite is Yuji Sakai's unused Millennium design (1, 2, 3). Yes it's only a concept but it's far superior to the MireGoji that actually made it into the film - channels so much of the '54, '64 and even a bit of GMK (which came a couple years after) to make a perfect/near definitive Millennium Godzilla. Can see myself adding Godzilla 2014 to the list but going to wait 'til after having seen the movie to decide.

And hey, let's be honest - we all know Gamera 1999 trumps all.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:34 pm

I like the '64 version too. It's my favorite along with Kinggoji, the 1962 suit used in Kong Kong vs. Godzilla which is the most "reptilian" of them of in the Showa era.

I'm impressed and ecstatic of what we've seen so far for the 2014 Godzilla movie.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:26 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Disappointed no other MosuGoji (1964) love. Hands down best Showa suit IMO, bar none including the original. The imagery of him rising out of the sand wastes is so iconic, gives me chills everytime:

The menacing brow and evil shrouded eyes just work wonders too.

And hey, let's be honest - we all know Gamera 1999 trumps all.

Your absolutely right with both of these
God the 90s gamera films where so damn good.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:39 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:lol Godzilla vs Megalon (1973) :lol:

Gosh dern 70s mutter mutter...

Also, NECA. This will not end well.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:39 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:You're a rarity, alright. Some of the hardcore fans I know think the suit is okay but find the animatronic (called "Cybot Godzila") used for a close up shots fugly and inconsistent with the actual suit, don't ask why. Me, it's okay but I like the "cat" look we see in Biollante a lot better. You know, before Godzilla became even bigger fucker in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and so on.

The GMK Godzilla is one of my favorite designs too. I always despised the criticism leveled at this incarnation of Godzilla because of its gut and being "fat". Yeah, it's bothersome and noticeable alright but what the fuck does that make Heisei Godzilla in the 90s with those thunder thighs.

:rolleyes:

I like the 85 suit, but its not my favorite.

Godzilla 85 is a movie I can appreciate because that and also godzilla vs biolantie were movies I could tell toho was really trying with, and thenit kind of jumped the shark after that. That's not to say godzilla 85 didn't have a lot of problems, because it did, but you could tell they tried a lot harder then with some of the later movies. Personally I think my favorite suit is the one in godzilla vs biolantie.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:39 am

View Original PostDefectron wrote:I like the 85 suit, but its not my favorite.

Godzilla 85 is a movie I can appreciate because that and also godzilla vs biolantie were movies I could tell toho was really trying with, and thenit kind of jumped the shark after that. That's not to say godzilla 85 didn't have a lot of problems, because it did, but you could tell they tried a lot harder then with some of the later movies. Personally I think my favorite suit is the one in godzilla vs biolantie.

Actually I gotta ask
Besides the cybot and mabye the hobo comic relief (who thankfully only had 2 scenes) what problems did godzilla 1985 actually have?
IMO it & biollanete are the most sleek modern films of the entire series, they just are permiated in a feel of the 80s (in a good way)
Them switching around the soviets intentions in the American cut doesn't detract from the film at all IMO, the scene with the missile collision is actually re edited much more suspensefully in the American cut than in the original.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:10 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Actually I gotta ask
Besides the cybot and mabye the hobo comic relief (who thankfully only had 2 scenes) what problems did godzilla 1985 actually have?
IMO it & biollanete are the most sleek modern films of the entire series, they just are permiated in a feel of the 80s (in a good way)
Them switching around the soviets intentions in the American cut doesn't detract from the film at all IMO, the scene with the missile collision is actually re edited much more suspensefully in the American cut than in the original.

My main problem was that it was very slow moving for a godzilla movie. Even in the first godzilla movie godzilla seemed to have a lot more energy then he had in this movie. In 85, for most of the movie he seemed to just wander around like a slow angry drunk and didn't really get into it more until his fight with super X. Also I thought some of the political plots in the movie came off as being kind of forced.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:16 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:My main problem was that it was very slow moving for a godzilla movie. Even in the first godzilla movie godzilla seemed to have a lot more energy then he had in this movie. In 85, for most of the movie he seemed to just wander around like a slow angry drunk and didn't really get into it more until his fight with super X. Also I thought some of the political plots in the movie came off as being kind of forced.

The way I hear it it plays a lot better in the Japanese version, but I haven't seen it just yet so can't say for sure. I know the bits with the Soviets were a lot better though.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:38 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:My main problem was that it was very slow moving for a godzilla movie. Even in the first godzilla movie godzilla seemed to have a lot more energy then he had in this movie. In 85, for most of the movie he seemed to just wander around like a slow angry drunk and didn't really get into it more until his fight with super X. Also I thought some of the political plots in the movie came off as being kind of forced.

Fair enough.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The way I hear it it plays a lot better in the Japanese version, but I haven't seen it just yet so can't say for sure. I know the bits with the Soviets were a lot better though.

I've seen both and can say the difference isn't huge, I'm completely indifferent to that change regarding the soviets intentions, again tho I thought the missile collision itself is handled much better in the American cut, in the original cut the film builds a bit then cuts away and comes back to it almost like a after thought, the American cut appropriately builds and builds until BOOM.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:48 am

The way I hear it it plays a lot better in the Japanese version, but I haven't seen it just yet so can't say for sure. I know the bits with the Soviets were a lot better though.

I originally had The Return of Godzilla (International title for Godzilla '84) on a non-Anamorphic Region 3, Hong Kong DVD and the Gaijin acting is a lot better than you'd expect, especially compared other Godzilla/kaiju movies. Also, the Soviets aren't in the assholes we see in Godzilla '85 nor are they trying to set off the nuclear missile either. Godzilla '85 truly is a piece work, no seriously, it's like a time capsule of the Cold War.

:hahaha:

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:17 am

View Original PostDefectron wrote:Godzilla 85 is a movie I can appreciate because that and also godzilla vs biolantie were movies I could tell toho was really trying with, and thenit kind of jumped the shark after that.

I think this is 100% spot on. They tried to do something new and when vs Biollante failed at the box office they rested on their laurels, so to speak, of mediocrity for the rest of films of that era. That's why they [s]pulled out[/s] regurgitated the big name kaiju like Mothra, King Ghidorah, Rodan and Mechagodzilla. There weren't any brand new monsters 'til SpaceGodzilla and Destoroyah, which is really a shame - Toho had some other really interesting plans like the infamous Bagan and another called Barubaroi, which looks like it would start out as Anguirus then turn into the more insectoid Barubaroi via infection. That would've been fucking amazing. Here's a pic from the Heisei Godzilla Perfection book concept art:

Regarding Godzilla (1984)/The Return of Godzilla (1985); I've never seen the American version. I find it interesting (and preferable) that the distributor/licensor here, Madman Entertainment, pushed the original version subtitled on TV and for home release. It was also my first Godzilla film, hence why I have a lot of nostalgia for it. I'm sure if I were to watch it again it though it wouldn't be as cool as it's become in my mind after all this time.
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:28 pm

there is a prequel comic coming out before the movie, godzilla awakening.
art adams did a cover for it.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:48 pm

Looking Good!
It seems the release date for the comic is May 7th.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:59 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:

I've already reserved a copy at my LCS.

:wink:
Warren Peace, #643919

Return to “Film and Video”