Rebuild production budget?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
IDontWantNoScrub
Lilith

Rebuild production budget?

•      
  •      

Postby IDontWantNoScrub » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:16 pm

Maybe this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find any sources. Would really like to know how much 1.0 & 2.0 cost to make though.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:39 pm

Has Studio Khara even released the production budget? I'm not sure they have. Lord Wikipedia offers no help.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:30 pm

All i recall hearing in regards to the budget is that 2.0 got a much bigger budget than 1.0 due to how successfull it was and that 3.0 will again having a bigger budget for the same reason... don't quote me on that though.
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

IDontWantNoScrub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby IDontWantNoScrub » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:10 pm

View Original Postskikes wrote:All i recall hearing in regards to the budget is that 2.0 got a much bigger budget than 1.0 due to how successfull it was and that 3.0 will again having a bigger budget for the same reason... don't quote me on that though.

Yeah, I've read pretty much the same thing as well. That's why I'm wondering what numbers we are actually talking about. God knows I have no idea how much these anime features cost (especially as we're talking about Japan and not Hollywood). Maybe someone at least knows a thing or two about how much money usually gets invested into these kinds of projects?

I guess we'd have to assume that the budget was less than the total theatrical gross (which was around $19M for 1.0 in 2007). So even with increasing budgets, these movies aren't that expensive, all things considered.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:37 pm

View Original PostIDontWantNoScrub wrote:Yeah, I've read pretty much the same thing as well. That's why I'm wondering what numbers we are actually talking about. God knows I have no idea how much these anime features cost (especially as we're talking about Japan and not Hollywood). Maybe someone at least knows a thing or two about how much money usually gets invested into these kinds of projects?

I guess we'd have to assume that the budget was less than the total theatrical gross (which was around $19M for 1.0 in 2007). So even with increasing budgets, these movies aren't that expensive, all things considered.

It depends really. Judging from how i've heard that even a typical 13 episode anime tv series can cost upwards to a few million to produce, i'd say that these new Eva films would probably cost anywhere from $10-$15 million to make.

Small potatoes when you compare it to hollywood animated flicks like WALLE and Kung Fu Panda, but eh, thats the Japanese film industry for you. I highly doubt the Rebuild films ever went over the cost of $30 million each.

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:53 am

View Original PostIDontWantNoScrub wrote:Maybe someone at least knows a thing or two about how much money usually gets invested into these kinds of projects?

I can only cite Wikipedia on this but with all inflation taken into account most "monster projects" cost around $20 million to produce. Movies like Akira, Ghost in the Shell: Innocence, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Steamboy all fall into this price range (then there's Ponyo which supposedly cost around $34 million to produce).
Neither of the Rebuild movies were probably that expensive though. I would guess that 2.0 cost closer to $15 million and 1.0 maybe $10 million.
What we do know is that 2.0 more than doubled it's revenue compared to 1.0 and that's hopefully going to show in the next movie.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:19 pm

Thanks Rodeo for reaffirming what i already said. Yeah i agree that the ball-park for producing the recent Eva films were probably between $10-$15 million.

IDontWantNoScrub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby IDontWantNoScrub » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks, guys. :)

duexmachina
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby duexmachina » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:08 pm

anyone know how many millions they made from the rebuild movies?
So knives out.

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:09 pm

View Original Postduexmachina wrote:anyone know how many millions they made from the rebuild movies?

1.0-somewhere round $17-18 million

2.0-$40 million
Currently Playing-Battlefield:Bad Company 2 and SF4

IDontWantNoScrub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby IDontWantNoScrub » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:21 pm

Woah, 2.0 made some serious money, not to mention upcoming DVD/BD sales.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:30 pm

View Original PostHeromaster111 wrote:1.0-somewhere round $17-18 million

2.0-$40 million

That really shows that anime isn't as expensive to make then a Hollywood film these days. Hollywood movies on that scale (giant robots and stuff) aren't even MADE for less then $40 million anymore (except for District 9's $38 million budget, but that really wasn't Hollywood.). And if that's all the money they make back, then they screwed themselves horribly.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:13 pm

I can guarantee you 2.0 wasn't $40 million. That number is completely unheard of in even the most high profile of anime.

And if it were $40 million, it would have just been used to change the number of birds in the background yet again.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

IDontWantNoScrub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby IDontWantNoScrub » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:39 pm

Umm...did anyone say that they believe the 2.0 budget to be $40M? I thought we were talking about the profit.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:31 pm

Oops, I just read the quote and inferred from the topic that it meant budget.

Carry on.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:47 pm

Yeah, I was just stating that if an anime movie profited by making $40M, then the cost of that movie was obviously much less than a Hollywood film that didn't even break even after making $54.71M. (a.k.a. G.I. Joe)

Peewit
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Peewit » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:46 am

I'm not sure how much the first two films cost to make, but If what we were told at the UK premiere of 2.0 is to be believed, 3.0 now has a pretty much unlimited budget. The development team has also doubled in size.

IDontWantNoScrub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby IDontWantNoScrub » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:35 am

View Original PostPeewit wrote:I'm not sure how much the first two films cost to make, but If what we were told at the UK premiere of 2.0 is to be believed, 3.0 now has a pretty much unlimited budget. The development team has also doubled in size.

Some serious epicness ahead. :)

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:46 am

Personally, i'm glad that 2.0 is making a lot of money. Not only because that means that the final movies will probably be even prettier (though is that really necessary?), but the financial security of the project might mean that the last installments will be completely able to break free from the need of "classic" (i.e.: pantyshots, harem antics, easy to digest narrative and things that can be turned into moe merchandise) fan pandering.

For what i get from the picture, Anno and team has to work pretty hard in the future to not come out of Rebuild with a financial success. So, if they really want to experiment with both the material and with what they can do, there has never been a better time.
Last edited by SaltyJoe on Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Peewit
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Peewit » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:46 am

View Original PostIDontWantNoScrub wrote:Some serious epicness ahead. :)

Yes please! :grin:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”