Do MP Evas Have Souls?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:29 pm

Darkbyte wrote:Well, It is possible that when Yui was inside Unit 001. She was told to spread the AT field. But because the Eva had no AT field, it took hers thus turning her into LCT fluid(because when a human loses it's AT field it becomes LCT fluid, we learn this in EoE) THis would explain how Nerv discovered LCT and how the AT fields join with the Eva.

As for the mass-production. They do have Anti-At Fields.

Gehirn would have known about LCL long before the first contact experiment, either through the disovery of Lilith--who 'leaks' LCL out of her body--or through the remnants of 2nd Impact (the "real dead sea").
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:37 pm

True but Gehirn would not know anything about LCL fluid before they witnissed it's connection to humans.

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:44 pm

Darkbyte wrote:True but Gehirn would not know anything about LCL fluid before they witnissed it's connection to humans.

Yes, but I think it would be pretty clear that upon returning to the scene of second impact to see the arctic turned into a sea of LCL with no remains of human beings (combined with whatever SEELE found in the dead sea scrolls) what the connection is between the two. Plus, SEELE was already primed to bring about 3rd impact before Yui's experiment--that was the impetus behind building the Evas in the first place. I think its safe to assume they had some knowledge regarding instrumentality and LCL prior to all this...
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:02 am

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Just as a point of note, it would appear that the Eva's AT Fields are responsible for more than just the octagonal shaped orange barriers seen from time to time. It's most likely that some of the Evas and Angels more fantastic stunts are in some way attributable to their AT Fields.

I would think that levitation skills in paticular would be somehow AT Field based, and though the MP Evas have wings, they are far too flimsy to hold them aloft. We later see actual levitation from them anyway. So I'd say they do indeed have AT Fields.

I agree as I have observed 3 manifestations of ATF. The first one is the invisible one, physical form because of ATF. Second would be the orange-wall type, and third would be that fuzzyness around Evas or Angels. An example lies on #23:

Misato: Deploy ATF, rescue Rei! Hurry!

And when Shinji activates:

Something similar happens on #24 when Shinji fights Eva-02 before entering Heaven's Doors:

And suddenly

Shinji: What?
Misato: State?
Makoto: It's an ATF.
Shigeru: Another ATF, similar to the previous one, was generated around Terminal Dogma.

Probably Sachiel also used ATF manifested this way when levitating:

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:41 am

Perhaps the AT field is also what keeps the bodies of the angels and the evas together (if we actually want to use real-world physics)
just hypothesizing here...

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:44 am

Well, the series reveals that a body without an AT field is LCL fluid.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:46 am

Darkbyte wrote:Well, the series reveals that a body without an AT field is LCL fluid.

Yeah..That is pretty clear at the EoE..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:05 am

Oblivious wrote:As for Kyoko, if she knew what was going to happen to, her insanity, Asuka's traumatisation(sp?), I doubt she would have supported the project that strongly. The question here is whether she was willing to use her own soul to imbue the Eva with a soul.

The point I am trying to suggest here is that the Evas receiving a soul were no more than accidents, and that the 'Soul' being a prerequisite for the production of an A.T field was not fully understood by SEELE or NERV. Therefore it is unlikely that SEELE arranged for the MP Evas to have souls.

I'm not sure if this has been said already (I'm too lazy to read further), but Asuka found out she was going to be a pilot, and -then- found her mother dead.
I think Kyoko's death was intentional, as was Yui's.
Like Shin-seiki said, it's already well established that Yui's death was intentioned. Yui wanted Shinji to be Eva 01's pilot (at least that's what I got out of it).

Kyoko...I don't know. I think it was intentional, but there's really not much to go by.
i AM the internets.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:24 pm

sachiel wrote:I'm not sure if this has been said already (I'm too lazy to read further), but Asuka found out she was going to be a pilot, and -then- found her mother dead.
Like Shin-seiki said, it's already well established that Yui's death was intentioned. Yui wanted Shinji to be Eva 01's pilot (at least that's what I got out of it).

Kyoko...I don't know. I think it was intentional, but there's really not much to go by.

The glaring coincidence of Asuka finding her mothre dead only hours after being informed of her candidacy, is something which is never mentioned much. I think we can read much more into this than simple coincidence. Thread time?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:28 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:
sachiel wrote:I'm not sure if this has been said already (I'm too lazy to read further), but Asuka found out she was going to be a pilot, and -then- found her mother dead.

The glaring coincidence of Asuka finding her mothre dead only hours after being informed of her candidacy, is something which is never mentioned much. I think we can read much more into this than simple coincidence. Thread time?

Seriously? It was always a big deal to me. o_O

Yup, thread time.
i AM the internets.

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:26 pm

Wait wait. Does that mean I'm supposed to make a thread, or that you're going to?

:shock:
i AM the internets.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:56 pm

I think you can trust OMF to start his own threads...

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:28 pm

Not to worry. I'll start one shortly with some of my usual outrageous fare.

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:58 pm

That's what I figured. XD
i AM the internets.

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:02 pm

For now, lets try to stay on topic with this thread, eh?
Natsukashii, ne?

akda1ndaonly1
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby akda1ndaonly1 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:35 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:The glaring coincidence of Asuka finding her mothre dead only hours after being informed of her candidacy, is something which is never mentioned much. I think we can read much more into this than simple coincidence. Thread time?

Woah. :shock: I can't believe I never thought of how important that scene was. All I ever thought of that scene was just Asuka's mother hanging, nothing more.
"-Deus ex machina. -What? -Our saviour."

- Donnie Darko

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:46 pm

akda1ndaonly1 wrote:
ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:The glaring coincidence of Asuka finding her mothre dead only hours after being informed of her candidacy, is something which is never mentioned much. I think we can read much more into this than simple coincidence. Thread time?

Woah. :shock: I can't believe I never thought of how important that scene was. All I ever thought of that scene was just Asuka's mother hanging, nothing more.

Wow, I actually brought up a topic that -hasn't- been discussed.

Go me! XD

Maybe it's just because Asuka's my favorite pilot, but that scene always stuck out in my mind for that reason. Not only the emotional impact it had on Asuka, but the fact that the Child's mother needs to be dead (and not only that but the soul needs to be contained in the EVA) before the Child can become an EVA pilot, and yell "Mama, mama! I've been chosen as a pilot~!"

Sequence of events, ya know? :o
i AM the internets.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:06 am

Nobody's mentioned the fact that Angel-type lifeforms do NOT need an ATF to hold their bodies together.

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:I would think that levitation skills in paticular would be somehow AT Field based, and though the MP Evas have wings, they are far too flimsy to hold them aloft.

Not so much a matter of "flimsy" as "these things are way too f***ing big to fly the old-fashioned way".

We later see actual levitation from them anyway. So I'd say they do indeed have AT Fields.

Even if they didn't levitate, they still have dialogue and screens spelling the ATF part out.

AchtungAffen wrote:I agree as I have observed 3 manifestations of ATF.

Where does the move Yui used on Zer (to rip his polygon-ATF in half and cause massive physical damage) fit in?

and third would be that fuzzyness around Evas or Angels. An example lies on #23:

An interesting thing to note is that there is a similar effect in place right before we see the workers of Nerv pop into Tang. Connection?

Probably Sachiel also used ATF manifested this way when levitating:

Levitating is probably the wrong word... I call this maneuver an "ATF Jump", meself. We also see it deployed by EVA-03 in #18 and EVA-02 in #25'.

The apparent change in air pressure is interesting... It's sort of comparable to EVA-01 first deploying her ATF against Sahaquiel, or the badass tempest that is formed when she levitates above the Geofront at the end of #25'.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:13 am

Reichu wrote:The apparent change in air pressure is interesting... It's sort of comparable to EVA-01 first deploying her ATF against Sahaquiel, or the badass tempest that is formed when she levitates above the Geofront at the end of #25'.

Or the shockwave sent out in episode #12. But, do we drift offtopic?

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:46 pm

I do think Angel type life-forms (as opposed to life-sources) do need ATF to mantain form. There was this discussion about the core and the rest being too degraded about it. Many interpretations for the line, but well. Life forms are life forms, sources are another thing.

Where does the move Yui used on Zer (to rip his polygon-ATF in half and cause massive physical damage) fit in?

pics?

An interesting thing to note is that there is a similar effect in place right before we see the workers of Nerv pop into Tang. Connection?

Visible manifestation of Anti-ATF mayhaps?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”