Lack of defining characteristics?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Shackel
Adam

Lack of defining characteristics? [SPOILERS]

•      
  •      

Postby Shackel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:07 am

Well, now that 2.0 is here, I'm starting to lose hope in the Rebuild series, the only thing keeping me watching is Shinji making a selfish act capable of destroying the world.

Except he wasn't broken at all... Which actually makes Shinji Mini-Gendo... Hm. That's something else.

I noticed that almost every character seems to lack their defining characteristic(well, before everyone broke like an egg)

Shinji is more impulsive
Asuka is softer
Rei appears to be learning emotions faster
Gendo feels less evil
Misato is an exception
Ritsuko is barely there(Why?)
The Bridge Bunnies don't seem to even have a personality(at least compared to their former selves)
Yui is... Where IS Yui?(I speak of screentime)

Kaji is... Okay, I'll admit it he's more awesome than before.

Without these, and without the "Hedgehog'', it just doesn't feel like Evangelion.

It just seems to sound more like a fanfiction, one that would sound better on a script than it would on screen(I've seen a lot of those "Kaworu knows all").
Last edited by Shackel on Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't you hate it when people have unimaginative signatures?

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:31 am

Shinji is less cowardly
Asuka is softer
Rei has more emotions
Gendo is less evil
Misato is an exception
Ritsuko is barely there
The Bridge Bunnies don't seem to even have a personality(at least compared to their former selves)
Yui is... Where IS Yui?

Shinji isn't any less cowardly. He doesn't do anything that's any more courageous than the Zeruel fight in the first series.

Asuka's always pretty much been a tsundere, and frankly, I enjoy that I can hear her open her mouth without wanting to slam her head into a porcelean bowl until the bubbles stopped.

Rei's more or less the same, just with more screentime.

Gendo's exactly the same, what makes you think he's less evil?

Yui's where she always was.

Without these, and without the psychological problems(HEDGEHOG. Where is my precious Hedgehog? DIt's a smile., it just doesn't feel like Evangelion.

Pay more attention; those psychological problems are still very much present. Shinji's relationship with Rei is just as obsessive and unhealthy as his original connection to Kaworu; Asuka still has fixation over dolls and her pathological need to be accepted and superior; Gendo still fixates over Yui in every moment of his life and sees the person closest to him right now as essentially a replacement.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

Re: Lack of defining characteristics?

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:33 am

Shackel wrote:The Bridge Bunnies don't seem to even have a personality(at least compared to their former selves)

from what I recall in 1.0, Maya sure had an awful lot more screentime than in the original series

Though Hyuga & Aoba seemed even less prevalent than they originally were
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Shackel
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Shackel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:27 am

For me wanting to sew Asuka's mouth shut is the fun part of her being there. xD
Don't you hate it when people have unimaginative signatures?

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:22 am

Shackel wrote:Shinji is more impulsive

But only after his father betrayed him and the person he cherishes the most in the whole world (Rei, for those not keeping score) is swallowed by an Angel. His life is crumbling and he is almost on the brinck of madness.

Asuka is softer

"Softer" isn't the word i would use: she just doesn't play the endless rounds of blame/denial/outlash/pretension game she used to do in the series, but asks herself "Ok, my life blows, what am i doing wrong?". Every other difference is an effect of that change. (BTW, mimicing a sociable person and going after Kaji were all part of the above mentioned "game", at least in my view.)

Rei appears to be learning emotions faster

To be honest, i would say that learning emotions faster is not a big change compared to the original (after all, going by a "story-timeline", we are at the beginning of Episode 24 at the end of 2.0, and Rei was pretty emotional by then), but in my eye, she lost quite a measure of her etheral, otherwordly aspect.

Gendo feels less evil

The reasons of his evilness are explored faster and in a more emotional way (Rei turning into Yui during dinner). But he still uses everyone around him just like he used to, still motivated by nothing but his own selfish desire. All in all, i would say that Gendo's revamped character development is the one i'm the most pleased with.

Misato is an exception

If it ain't broke... Though i would argue that her relationship with Kaji is toned down quite a bit, and her "Now i understand Daddy a bit more" spiel is more prominent, and generally, she's a tad more mature.

Ritsuko is barely there(Why?)

Since the primary focus of these films is Shinji, the characters who don't really have much to do with him are all but completely culled. That is Fuyutski, Hikari, Ritsuko (i wouldn't expect too much Naoko in the future, either) and the bridge bunnies. But thank God, we had plenty of Touji and Kensuke![/sarcasm]

Yui is... Where IS Yui?(I speak of screentime)

THe next lot of films will have a whole lot of Yui in them. I'm dead certain.

Without these, and without the "Hedgehog'', it just doesn't feel like Evangelion.

The dilemma is mentioned in 1.0, and isolation and the need/fear of others is still pretty much the main theme of characterization so far.

"Kaworu knows all"

On this: Kaworu receives his orders and info from the omniscient cabal, so it's no surprise that he is in the knows. It's not like he is all knowing just because.

IMO, one thing one must acknowledge, that, aside from certain constraints arising from the fact that these films have a much shorter running time to tell a very similar story to that of the TV series, the characters behave differently because the man from whose mind they all come from has changed.

Anno is not the same sexually repressed, antisocial otkau with self-esteem issues as he was fifteen years ago. He is a different sexually repressed, antisocial otkau with self-esteem issues. And thus, the reflections of his psyche are also different.

GasmaskAvenger wrote:from what I recall in 1.0, Maya sure had an awful lot more screentime than in the original series

But it was mostly spent with counting backwards.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:13 am

Shackel wrote:Without these, and without the "Hedgehog'', it just doesn't feel like Evangelion.

Two things bucko.
1.) Hedgehog's Dilemma was already covered in 1.0.
2.) This isn't supposed to be the same old Evangelion.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:16 am

Rebuild = Happy Anno. Happy Anno = Happy Characters. Real Californian Characters.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:21 am

Well they are working with a largely different time frame with these movies, if it seems like character advancement is moving too fast or they are changing to fast.... well they don't really got much more choice.

Your not going to get the same level of character that you had in the tv series, the movies just don't have enough time to devout to all the characters involved so everyone is going to get changed or represented differently.

Even if they tried to just cram the original series into the movie time frame things would feel weird.

And they go in and toss in an all new character into the mix which is going to take up screen time. It's a different telling of the story and you got much different time frame to work with, of course things are going to be different this time out.

Overall everyone is the same though, just they are put in different situations or their development has been sped up.

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:43 am

Sachi wrote:Rebuild = Happy Anno. Happy Anno = Happy Characters. Real Californian Characters.

Awesome! However, I kinda didn't like the way they treated Misato's character in 1.01...
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:44 am

Shogo-Kun wrote:
Sachi wrote:Rebuild = Happy Anno. Happy Anno = Happy Characters. Real Californian Characters.

Awesome! However, I kinda didn't like the way they treated Misato's character in 1.01...

huh, she's the same old Misato

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:47 am

Shackel wrote:Except he wasn't broken at all... Which actually makes Shinji Mini-Gendo... Hm. That's something else.

Technically Gendo is big Shinji dealing with his problems in a different way. And i think not caring if the world gets destroyed makes him just as broken as ever, just angrier.

And as for Kaji i feel like hes been downgraded without his speech to Shinji

Also have we stopped marking threads as spolier/no spoiler?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:52 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:Pay more attention; those psychological problems are still very much present. Shinji's relationship with Rei is just as obsessive and unhealthy as his original connection to Kaworu; Asuka still has fixation over dolls and her pathological need to be accepted and superior; Gendo still fixates over Yui in every moment of his life and sees the person closest to him right now as essentially a replacement.

+1 to Aura.

I agree completely with you.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:20 pm

Xard wrote:
Shogo-Kun wrote:

What?From what I saw,Misato was the same women she was in the series.Only difference is she has a higher rank,knows about Lilith and has a slightly better relationship with Shinji.Aside from those,she's the same old Misato we all know.

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:48 am

Eva 04 wrote:
Xard wrote:
Shogo-Kun wrote:

What?From what I saw,Misato was the same women she was in the series.Only difference is she has a higher rank,knows about Lilith and has a slightly better relationship with Shinji.Aside from those,she's the same old Misato we all know.

What I mean is, she seemed a bit less... empathetic. Mostly because I associate Misato with her spunky attitude (the attitude she has in Episodes 7-13). Also, she seems much crueler than in the series. But again, this is Rebuild, so I guess it's understandable. Though I'm pleased to see her spunkiness come back in 2.0.
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:39 pm

Hmm?Misato doesnt seem cruel too me.Like I said,she remains the same.Dont know what Anno could accomplish by changing her from the series though.

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:53 pm

I think she's a bit more "adult" in Rebuild. I like it. She's a bit more... how can I say? Real... probably.
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:13 pm

Natsuka_Chie wrote:I think she's a bit more "adult" in Rebuild. I like it. She's a bit more... how can I say? Real... probably.

Which isnt a bad thing.But her being immature was part of the reason I liked her too.I mean,she still seems a little immature but also seems much more kinder and adult which makes me like her even more.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:35 pm

Look at how Misato acts at home and you'll see she's still immature there. She's just more serious-minded when it comes to battles and such, is all. (Which IMO works.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:47 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Look at how Misato acts at home and you'll see she's still immature there. She's just more serious-minded when it comes to battles and such, is all. (Which IMO works.)

Yeah.Too bad there was only one scene in 1.0 that had them at home.Unless you count the scene where Misato is lying in her room but I dont think that really counts.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: Lack of defining characteristics? [SPOILERS]

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:03 pm

Shackel wrote:Yui is... Where IS Yui?(I speak of screentime)

Well I suppose she's there in spirit.....just an encased spirit....casing being a skyscraper sized humanoid...
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”