Should Rei have been classified as an angel?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:11 am

AuraTwilight, Could you elaborate a little more on the link to the Ender series?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:31 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concepts_in_the_Ender%27s_Game_series#Hierarchy_of_Exclusion

This. It's telling that the Classified Information goes to say that all life (FAR, Adam-derived, Lilith-derived, etc) are "human" and "Angel" at the same time. The Seeds of Life aren't Angels, as in Adam's Children, but they're lumped in with them, and even though we're Lilith's Children, and Lilith is an "Angel", we do not classify ourselves thus. Basically, the term "Angel" is just a term SEELE/NERV created to designate what's antagonistic to humanity and what we're allowed to kill. It's an alienating term to dehumanize the enemy (or neutral beings just in our goddamn way). It's the same concept as humans in a war calling each other names like "Fuckin' commies", "Goddamn Japs", "Chinks", "Southern bastards", or "Terrorists."

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:19 pm

Well, I'd say Rei II shouldn't, but Rei III should...but I suspect this is more due to inclination than any real evidence
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:11 pm

Well, we do have to admit that Rei III does eventually become Lilith/GNR. Moreover, Rei III seems to be the one in possession of the time-space bending ability to silently appear and observe events as far back as episode #01. However, I think this would put her quite a bit over and above the regular ADOs and LDOs.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:29 pm

Rei III only possesses that power because she became GNR, mind, and that entity is basically a new-born FAR, really.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:47 am

AuraTwilight wrote:I's the same concept as humans in a war calling each other names like "Fuckin' commies", "Goddamn Japs", "Chinks", "Southern bastards", or "Terrorists."
I guess if one is looking at it from a SEELE perspective... maybe. It's also an obvious artistic/narrative/symbolic device.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:27 pm

AuraTwilight wrote: Basically, the term "Angel" is just a term SEELE/NERV created to designate what's antagonistic to humanity and what we're allowed to kill. It's an alienating term to dehumanize the enemy (or neutral beings just in our goddamn way).

Exactly. Which is why Misato called humans the 18th angel, because they attacked after the 17th. EoE really hits us over the head with this one.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Ialdaboth
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ialdaboth » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:22 pm

Huh. Having "Angel" be a term specifically to refer to the enemy makes SEELE's morality a bit more confusing to me. If Angel is just a term for an incredibly powerful and inhuman being derived from a certain evolutionary path, then it just seems like a bit of overly symbolic naming. But if it only refers to the beings that they are opposing, then SEELE are implicitly devils. Given that SEELE seems to firmly believe that Instrumentality is the morally correct course of action, I can't see them choosing a name that paints them in a negative light.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:45 pm

Seeing as how SEELE ARE pretty much the closest thing to objective villains in the series, in that they want to kill off the entire human race for effectively their own ego gratification, then yea, I'd say they're more or less devils.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”